Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

captainbananas posted:

nah no worries, your posts being disparaging never even occurred to me.

It is worth noting, as devil's advocate or whatever, that there are also good reasons to limit what researchers report to what was "found" vs. what was "not" (aka the much-maligned null finding, but those quotation marks are pulling overtime here). Several good ones, in fact, but I doubt most thread readers are looking for that many :words: about scientific publishing.

I wouldn't mind the inside view as it were, considering a significant part of my posting here is scientific articles. But I fully understand if you don't think it makes sense to post it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

a great read (that i just skimmed and bookmarked)

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Bored Ape Yacht Club NFT event visitors blame lighting at ApeFest for ‘severe eye burn’ caused by unprotected exposure to ultraviolet rays
https://fortune.com/crypto/2023/11/...photokeratitis/

Sounds like someone listened to Naomi and went ape with UVC lighting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rescue Toaster posted:

Sounds like someone listened to Naomi and went ape with UVC lighting.

It’s unfair to blame Naomi for this one because she is properly paranoid about conventional germicidal lamps.

The Ape incident does illustrate the folly of her hot take here though:

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1545980529257771009

As I said at the time,

Platystemon posted:

The skin exposure dose limits for ultraviolet radiation at 254 nm are chosen to avoid erythema (skin reddening) in a pale subjects.

So Wu reasons that if we didn’t have to build things to accommodate white people, we could use higher UV flux, with more rapid germicidal effect.

What would actually happen if you tried that is that white people would get itchy skin and everyone who wasn’t wearing eyeglases or contacts would get itchy eyes. The dose that light versus dark skin can take is irrelevant because everyone has eyes, and they’re more sensitive.

And here we have the example. Yeah some of the cryptobros have hosed up skin, but that pales in comparison to what happened to their eyes.

She addressed the eyes directly, but she’s just plain wrong about it.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 04:43 on Nov 7, 2023

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I wasn't sincerely blaming her, I was just going for the pun. Though I do think she was a bit overzealous at times about it.

The impression I got in this case was it was more like accidentally/carelessly used germicidal lamps instead of blacklights, rather than intentional.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

leave me to my pretending

so actually the vibes I got was one lady wearing a cloth mask, most assuredly has/had covid and was masking as per those after 5 days guidelines

the other lady was wearing a KN95 or similar and gave off a sense to me that she just wears a mask all the time

I trust my respirator.

idk, i assume that anyone in a kn94 or better these days is just being careful.

surgical or cloth? misinformed or only able to get those, possibly, but strong chance of covid.

anyone without a mask also has covid.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
No one got COVID in that particular room. Not with that UV flux.

Those lamps are more than sufficient inside a louvered fixture confining their output to the upper part of the room, nevermind just blasting the whole volume, and not to mention any lamps outside of the frame of the photograph.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 05:01 on Nov 7, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
seriously that ape event was the safest mass gathering since idk whenever GDQ dropped their mask recs

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Platystemon posted:

It’s unfair to blame Naomi for this one because she is properly paranoid about conventional germicidal lamps.

The Ape incident does illustrate the folly of her hot take here though:

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1545980529257771009

As I said at the time,

And here we have the example. Yeah some of the cryptobros have hosed up skin, but that pales in comparison to what happened to their eyes.

She addressed the eyes directly, but she’s just plain wrong about it.

wow, way to assume everyone has eyes

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

This article is great.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Platystemon posted:

No one got COVID in that particular room. Not with that UV flux.

Those lamps are more than sufficient inside a louvered fixture confining their output to the upper part of the room, nevermind just blasting the whole volume, and not to mention any lamps outside of the frame of the photograph.

Genuine question, because I don't know THAT much science, if someone was wearing high quality UV blocking sunglasses inside at this event would they be fine*? Better off than those not wearing sunglasses? Or is this UV wavelength different in length(?) enough that sunglasses don't work at all?

*eye health fine I mean, obviously anyone on a bored ape yacht party is a loving idiot

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Genuine question, because I don't know THAT much science, if someone was wearing high quality UV blocking sunglasses inside at this event would they be fine*? Better off than those not wearing sunglasses? Or is this UV wavelength different in length(?) enough that sunglasses don't work at all?

*eye health fine I mean, obviously anyone on a bored ape yacht party is a loving idiot

Their eyes would be fine if the sunglasses had decent wraparound to protect from light coming in from the side. Plain polycarbonate blocks 254 nm light. Plain glass blocks 254 nm light. You have to go out of your way to get materials that don’t block it, and even then the trick with some materials is to use thin films, because multiple millimetres will still block most of it.

Some materials additionally are degraded by exposure and pass less UVC over time, even the special glass used to make the lamp tubes. This process is called “solarization” for historical reasons.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 05:47 on Nov 7, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The type of glasses that block UV-C are usually yellow or orange in color. They are specifically made for this. Of course you shouldn't expose skin to UV-C for long at all either. The UV-C room sterilizing light I purchased a while ago came with a pair. It also had a timer that would turn the light on after X amount of time so you could leave the room and close the door, kept on for X amount of minutes, then turns off automatically. You just shouldn't be around those loving things.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Levoit Core 3/400 are the smaller ones you want as well

I've had issues with Levoit. Before COVID I bought a Levoit air purifier that claimed "up to six month" life on the filters. The "change filter" light went off like clockwork every 45 days, and the replacement model they sent me when I complained did the exact same thing. The automatic sensors also failed super quick; I've got mine in my living room and I haven't heard it increase the fan speed in years whereas my Coway will go into Harrier jet mode if I spray an aerosol in any room of my apartment.

No idea if their current models suck, just be aware that company hasn't been the greatest in the past.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
anecdotally people are just about starting to be willing to admit that maybe it's not so good when everyone is sick all the time

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

Bald Stalin posted:

lol current government recommendation here is if you have covid, please wear a mask in public.

When I see a mask in the wild now it gives me anxiety

Person in front of me at a Kaiser pharmacy asked for a consult cause they were currently taking paxlovid. No masks anywhere (besides myself)

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

kazmeyer posted:

I've had issues with Levoit. Before COVID I bought a Levoit air purifier that claimed "up to six month" life on the filters. The "change filter" light went off like clockwork every 45 days, and the replacement model they sent me when I complained did the exact same thing. The automatic sensors also failed super quick; I've got mine in my living room and I haven't heard it increase the fan speed in years whereas my Coway will go into Harrier jet mode if I spray an aerosol in any room of my apartment.

No idea if their current models suck, just be aware that company hasn't been the greatest in the past.

The manual that came with my Core 300 mentions that that light is just there to remind you to dust off the prefilter every month or so. You just hold down on the light as a touch button for three seconds and it turns off. It's not really meant to be a 'change filter' light and isn't pretending to be anything other than a timer to remind you to dust off the outside of the unit and the outer sleeve of the filters. Poorly designed or communicated, perhaps, but not defective and not misleading enough that I would call it intentionally scummy or anything.

I have no experience with the Core 400, maybe it's a bit more misleading in that instance.

E: And of course I recall you mentioning this issue before, it's entirely possible that the manual WAS intentionally misleading in the past, but it wasn't my experience with the two units I purchased near the start of this year at least.

Shady Amish Terror has issued a correction as of 11:44 on Nov 7, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Animal-Mother posted:

Manager told me her kid gets sick every two weeks from school. Normal.

I mean... yes? In a lot of tightly packed schools this has been the case for a long time. My sister in law who has 3 kids told me (before COVID) that planning trips to see us during the school year was almost impossible because "the odds of at least one of the kids not having a cough and or nasty snot, at any point during the winter, is low". This also tracks with what I saw among coworkers in the 2005-2015 era before I had kids but worked with a lot of kid havers.

If there's really a massive acceleration in overall childhood sickness, we'll have more and more data on that. As far as I can tell, that's not what I am seeing locally -- last year was especially hosed up, this year appears to be a lot more normal. Our kids have still gotten sick a bunch; they are tiny and this is expected; our doctors and the school are, so far, saying that this year looks a lot more like 2019 than it looks like 2022, so, we'll see. Our kids got us sick several times last year and then we had one blast of illnesses through the house so far at the beginning of this year; zero COVID, flu or RSV.

So... what isn't the same locally, as in 2017? Well my kid has a friend who has permanent vestibular issues from COVID at the age of 7, masking remains required at all my medical appointments and I continue to see people in masks shopping/etc (VT, elderly, left-leaning population). Also the overall state of the medical system has overall degraded substantially; our local dr's office has rebounded substantially and overall things at dr's and pharmas are much, much better staffed than a year ago, but still nowhere near (already hosed) 2019 levels.

Parity warning posted:

anecdotally people are just about starting to be willing to admit that maybe it's not so good when everyone is sick all the time

A big takeaway for me from this entire era is that if we had, nationally, invested massively in truly understanding the connections between air circulation, spread of seasonally circulating diseases and animal migrations, and then diverted substantial national infrastructure into making sure that all enclosed places of congregation had really good air hygeine, it seems entirely possible that I would have been, collectively, sick about 75% less in my life along with everyone else, the net impact to GDP would already have paid itself off 10 times over, and we would have handled COVID with a lot less death.

Also, fuckin DUH that sick people have no place in the office. TBQH for me that's another strong argument for hybrid & remote models. Yea, no one should be expected to work "sick", flipside is, over the 4 weeks I got slammed, I had fever 18 days, but it was extremely mild for about 2/3 of that. I was able to happily and comfortably work from home, and that was preferable to sitting around staring at the TV.

If I had been required to be in the office, I would have had to burn 3+ entire weeks of sick and possibly have employment issues at this point. I would not subject coworkers to fever and other symptoms.

It would be cool if we could go build that infrastructure now!

Also, I do think (very locally) that behaviors have changed a lot. When I used to play Magic in paper it was pretty common during the winter for 1-2 people to have a sneeze or a cough at an event, which always set my teeth on edge slightly but I never thought of it. I stopped playing in early 2020 and sold all my cards, but, from talking to people who still play here -- you see some masks, and, signs of sickness are pretty heavily socially shamed to go the gently caress home or stay there to begin with.

I am on week 3 now of not being sick, and trying to stay that way. Made it through about 20 hrs of hospital time including 5hrs of ED time without getting anything; I'd say "Thanks, Auras!" but my mom who was hospitalized was mostly in the same rooms unmasked (once we got her out of the ED) and made it how without picking anything up either, so we'll take that as a win.

I did notice signage around the hospital indicating specific paths through the building for COVID patients. In all cases I walked the other way.

Joementum posted:

It was an old sign. UVM health network facilities have been mask off since the spring.

The place I go is UVM affiliated. All doctors and staff are masked at all times, outside of therapists inside their office; patients are strongly encouraged to and required to if they show any COVID symptoms.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 12:05 on Nov 7, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
CxO level person in my company was taking questions recently, one of which was "when are you going to force everyone else back to the office?" and they said "lol that is not a thing we're going to do, what we are seeing is teams working this out for themselves and developing hybrid, remote, or in office models that make sense to them. Please work with your management team, escalate to their manager if you're unhappy about something, and otherwise stop asking about this in open meetings because our generally permissive policies are not going to change, they are a permanent feature of the landscape".

There was a pretty strong implication, "if you do not like this, there are plenty of companies which seem to be fully in office, go join one and good luck". I personally can't imagine needing to see my coworkers in person every day so badly that I'd change jobs to a pestilence mine to do so, but, I'm "weird and crazy" by many measures.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I mean... yes? In a lot of tightly packed schools this has been the case for a long time. My sister in law who has 3 kids told me (before COVID) that planning trips to see us during the school year was almost impossible because "the odds of at least one of the kids not having a cough and or nasty snot, at any point during the winter, is low". This also tracks with what I saw among coworkers in the 2005-2015 era before I had kids but worked with a lot of kid havers.

I don’t know if you’re in a particularly disease-ridden area but I’ve worked with kids for like 15 years before covid and no, it’s not common for kids to be sick every two weeks.

attendance patterns before and after the start of the pandemic confirm this, so there’s no need to rely on our memories. even if your school is in good shape, schools elsewhere still have to congregate classes and fully close because of illness this year. this is not only uncommon pre-covid, I had only ever heard of this happening in remote schools ever.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

If there are serious changes to overall trends then we'll continue to see that data and within a few years it will start to look equivocal.

Because I've had good relationships with COVID conscious providers in the area who are all still masked and pushing vaxxes, and because I have a couple kids in the local system who are just going to be exposed to ~~whatever~~, there really isn't much we can do* except make the smartest decisions for our family, not send our own kids to school or elsewhere sick, and hope that there's eventually a regression towards something resembling a pre-pandemic mean overall if that is not what's happening now.

If that's not what's happening, and doesn't? Okay, I basically grew up inside of a bunch of bubbles: holocene was a bubble, the idea that serious childhood diseases had generally been "dealt with" was a bubble that only existed in specific places and mostly among the wealthier classes in those places.

Whole history of human civ seems to be "lots of people in one spot and then poo poo gets hosed up by disease and the inevitable wars that follow, or vice versa", so if that's the world we head back to then it's just regression towards a mean with a lot more historical precedent than the outrageous bubble of Rockwell-esquie 1940s-present American culture which never really existed anywhere.

It will take that time period and seeing the data set emerge over time, to craft my views though. When I worked in an open office and didn't even HAVE kids, but worked with a lot of people that did, I got sick enough to keep me home from work for a few days 2-4 times every winter season. So did my childless coworkers, and the people with kids ages 0-4 got slammed even harder and more constantly. When I went fully remote in 2016 I basically didn't get sick a single time until our kid entered child care in early 2019, well before COVID was a problem, but none the less she (and all of us) got sick a good number of times that year despite the provider being pretty good about screening kids and sending symptomatic kids home. I didn't keep a little date book of when I got sick so I have no idea if this year has been worse for us or not but also we now have 2 kids interacting with 2 different geographically adjacent communities.

If my local doctors and school are telling me that they're cautiously optimistic because their case rates are a lot more pre-pandemic than not, I believe them, because our schools and daycare are still reporting COVID cases to us when they know about them, and my dr's office continues to bang the drum of "this is a thing that's happening, wear a mask, dummy". As of my last need for medical interaction they told me COVID was about 25% of viral cases they were seeing in the office. They also reiterated a line I've read here, which is, in office PCRs have some value but you just need to keep testing every day or two as long as your sick, and a stack of RATs over a period of time is more convincing than a single PCR.

* alternative, non-public schools which have more severe protocols exist. They cost in the vicinity of $15-25,000/yr/student. We already spend $22,000 a year on child care, can't make that 50k and still make life work the way it needs to, so, here we are!!

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 12:23 on Nov 7, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

If there are serious changes to overall trends then we'll continue to see that data and within a few years it will start to look equivocal.

I have some bad news about the state of data collection and reporting.

however, I’m really really glad that you’re hopeful and getting on with your life the best you can. I’m not trying to litigate some definition of “normal” here (like who cares about the state of Byzantium before the fall or something, I just want your kids to have a good chance at life). I’m just trying to explain that the professionals you’re interacting with are prone to normalcy and confirmation bias and other pitfalls that will cause them to act not in your best interests. my own experience as one of those professionals is that their communication with you about Covid numbers and consequences is largely bullshit in general, even though what they’re saying may be true in your particular case.

Edit: Case in point, I just spent a few minutes going through my old school division websites for their attendance reports and they no longer seem to be published in the regular places.

tuyop has issued a correction as of 13:07 on Nov 7, 2023

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
https://x.com/atomicthumbs/status/1721602536225091716?s=46&t=b23kGbnuFi54qJQa-UIGzw

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
how are you gonna say having your kid have a 6-9 day cold every 2 weeks is normal. get them tested for CF or something, jesus christ

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Psycho Society posted:

how are you gonna say having your kid have a 6-9 day cold every 2 weeks is normal. get them tested for CF or something, jesus christ

Are we talking for every 14 day period, 6 to 9 of those are sick days, or there's a 6 to 9 day sick period with a 14 day gap in between? Either of those is terrible, but the difference between a kid being sick half of their childhood and a third is still significant.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

As of my last need for medical interaction they told me COVID was about 25% of viral cases they were seeing in the office.

This is interesting because it either would indicate:

* There is 33% more viral sickness needing medical attention than before COVID because back then none of those 25% of infections would have existed.
* People’s greater efforts to avoid sickness now, imperfect and incomplete as they are, means that there’s less getting sick from other things, but COVID now occupies a significant slice of that sickness
* Something between the two

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Moth shot in, praying to the reactogenicity gods that I don't lose the rest of the week.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Psycho Society posted:

A coworker has a 1 y/o that caught COVID shortly after birth. He says she is constantly sick. In contrast, my daughter has never so much as had a sniffle (HEPA/PAPR stroller crew stay nguyening)

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Woodsy Owl posted:

A coworker has a 1 y/o that caught COVID shortly after birth. He says she is constantly sick. In contrast, my daughter has never so much as had a sniffle (HEPA/PAPR stroller crew stay nguyening)

but immunity debt!!!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Somehow I caught a bitch of a cold (testing daily, not covid) and since I've been masking and being incredibly cautious for close to 4 years I'm both surprised and also this loving cold is wiping me out. I forgot how bad just a loving COLD could make one feel, even though this is really nothing compared to a flu. I guess not being sick for the majority of time since 2020 makes me realize how nice it is to be free of such crap.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Somehow I caught a bitch of a cold (testing daily, not covid) and since I've been masking and being incredibly cautious for close to 4 years I'm both surprised and also this loving cold is wiping me out. I forgot how bad just a loving COLD could make one feel, even though this is really nothing compared to a flu. I guess not being sick for the majority of time since 2020 makes me realize how nice it is to be free of such crap.

This was me a few weeks ago. I was like "this is so bad it has to be COVID", but nope. Just the good ol' rhinovirus doing its thing.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Joementum posted:

This was me a few weeks ago. I was like "this is so bad it has to be COVID", but nope. Just the good ol' rhinovirus doing its thing.

In ways it's like how we realized as a society after the lockdown that things that are considered normal (such as driving to an office spending hours a day on commuting when people could simply work from home) are actually complete bullshit. Getting colds was absolutely normal and we have been told to just take medicine and power through it. Christ I used to get 2 or 3 colds per year. It's wild how lovely I feel having not had one in so long. Was it always like this?

edit: sorry I'm a bit rambling- this thing has me feeling a bit loopy

GATOS Y VATOS has issued a correction as of 18:21 on Nov 7, 2023

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Platystemon posted:

I hadn’t heard the dictionary thing before, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a kernel of truth to it, because people who write dictionaries get technical details wrong all the time. The OED definition of “siphon” for decades said that they were driven by atmospheric pressure.

i know this is days/weeks late but my impression is the "it's not a true vaccine" thing bubbled out of the infowars/adjacent crowd. alex jones is constantly walking that tightrope where he wants to lead people to the more outright fascist programs on his network but he doesn't want the money spigot to turn off. he can't say that all vaccines are bad/don't work or people will start leaving or cracking down on him, so he and his guests latched on to "uhhhh only attenuated viruses are true vaccines" as a compromise

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It isn’t enough to have won; they’ve got to make sure that public health interventions never happen again

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1721933547269681378

Feigl-Ding is losing it.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Getting really tired of people who advocate for COVID safety carving out masking exceptions for themselves.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

if I can be spicy for a sec, I'm honestly fine with public health getting kicked in the teeth. God Bless Jesus And God Bless America. If you are some lousy "mortal" who can "get sick" then shame on you, Real Patriots eat a diet of pure raw beef and take horse dewormer to become closer with White Jehovah.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Full text of that article

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/covid-lockdowns-big-fail-joe-nocera-bethany-mclean-book-excerpt.html

quote:

One of the great mysteries of the pandemic is why so many countries followed China’s example. In the U.S. and the U.K. especially, lockdowns went from being regarded as something that only an authoritarian government would attempt to an example of “following the science.” But there was never any science behind lockdowns — not a single study had ever been undertaken to measure their efficacy in stopping a pandemic. When you got right down to it, lockdowns were little more than a giant experiment.

The author. Joe Nocera, is a business flack

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"not a single study" holy poo poo you really can just lie like that goddamn

we've been putting money into epidemiology research on spread through populations for over fifty years. I'm aware of one project personally in my sphere that's been running for over twenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

quote:

In many blue states, however, that rationale was forgotten over time, and many people remained confined to their homes or apartments not just for a few weeks but for a year or more — even after the vaccine became available.

The gently caress are they talking about lmao