Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Shinjobi posted:

Take Chapman from the Rangers and I'll give yall a dollar

gently caress no, I'm not adding yet another recurring donation due to that shitpile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This award extremely does not matter but Snitker over Roberts is a huge snub. The Braves roster was stacked while the Dodgers went into the year shallow, lost an entire starting rotation, and still won 100 games

Fangraphs projected and actual win totals:
MIL - 86 > 92 (+6)
MIA - 80 > 84 (+4)
ATL - 93 > 104 (+11)
LA - 88 > 100 (+12)

Edit: Miami maybe the bigger snub but it is tradition to give MotY to the manager who succeeds Don Mattingly

https://twitter.com/mlb/status/1721669018812088558

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 7, 2023

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Can someone explain to me how Triston Casas is a finalist for rookie of the year beyond playing in Boston?

He's 14th among AL rookie position players in fWAR (and 4 AL rookie pitchers with higher fWAR, too). He's got garbage defense, but even if you wanted to look at it on a purely offensive metric he's 5th among qualified AL rookies in wRC+. I don't pay for baseball-reference, but he only seems to fair marginally better seeing as only 4 players above him on the fangraphs list drop down and one ties him. So maybe tied for 9th in bWAR.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

This award extremely does not matter but Snitker over Roberts is a huge snub. The Braves roster was stacked while the Dodgers went into the year shallow, lost an entire starting rotation, and still won 100 games

Fangraphs projected and actual win totals:
MIL - 86 > 92 (+6)
MIA - 80 > 84 (+4)
ATL - 93 > 104 (+11)
LA - 88 > 100 (+12)

Edit: Miami maybe the bigger snub but it is tradition to give MotY to the manager who succeeds Don Mattingly

https://twitter.com/mlb/status/1721669018812088558

in my opinion it should go to Craig Counsell, i've decided arbitrarily and for no reason today that he's a good manager.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Manager of the Year is traditionally the Manager of the Team That Most Exceeded Preseason Media Expectations award

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Pobrecito posted:

Can someone explain to me how Triston Casas is a finalist for rookie of the year beyond playing in Boston?

He's 14th among AL rookie position players in fWAR (and 4 AL rookie pitchers with higher fWAR, too). He's got garbage defense, but even if you wanted to look at it on a purely offensive metric he's 5th among qualified AL rookies in wRC+. I don't pay for baseball-reference, but he only seems to fair marginally better seeing as only 4 players above him on the fangraphs list drop down and one ties him. So maybe tied for 9th in bWAR.

baseball savant loves him for one thing

He had a fairly nuclear second half, until he got hurt, and he's not going to win so why stress?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Shohei is great and all, but like a tenth as cool as Ichiro

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Pobrecito posted:

Because after a dreadful April/May he was amazing, and third in bref's oWAR among AL rookies behind Gunnar and Edouard Julien (and yes he plays in Boston)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Also, Casas is a weird dude who's cool as heck.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Manager of the Year is traditionally the Manager of the Team That Most Exceeded Preseason Media Expectations award
*offer not valid if you are Dave Roberts

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

*offer not valid if you are Dave Roberts

I feel like the Dodgers were still the preseason favorites (even if I thought they shouldn't be) and then only when they were kind of scuffling for months that people started to take the D-backs seriously.

Although I guess none of that invalidates Roberts' claim to the award.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

I feel like the Dodgers were still the preseason favorites (even if I thought they shouldn't be) and then only when they were kind of scuffling for months that people started to take the D-backs seriously.

Although I guess none of that invalidates Roberts' claim to the award.
Nearly all the talking heads and most of the projection systems picked the Padres. Fangraphs had the Dodgers at 88 wins.

Everyone just forgets because they're accustomed to the Dodgers cruising to 100 wins.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 7, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Little Big League is actually really good imo. I watched it twice as a teenager and forgot about it for 20 years but it holds up.

Those '90s baseball movies aimed at kids had some weirdly packed casts.

Little Big League: Dennis Farina, Jason Robards, Timothy Busfield, plus a gently caress-ton of MLB player cameos.
Rookie of the Year: Daniel Stern, John Candy, Gary Busey, Dan Hedaya, Bruce Altman.
The Sandlot: Denis Leary, James Earl Jones, Art Lafleur, Karen Allen.
Angels in the Outfield: JGL, Christopher Lloyd, Adrien Brody, Neal McDonough, Matthew McConaughey, Danny Glover.

Like, what the hell.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Timby posted:

Little Big League: Dennis Farina, Jason Robards, Timothy Busfield, plus a gently caress-ton of MLB player cameos.
Rookie of the Year: Daniel Stern, John Candy, Gary Busey, Dan Hedaya, Bruce Altman.
Angels in the Outfield: JGL, Christopher Lloyd, Adrien Brody, Neal McDonough, Matthew McConaughey, Danny Glover.

Like, what the hell.

It's not exactly aimed at kids (despite the PG rating) but A League of Their Own also has a stacked cast

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Speaking of Manager of the Year, fun fact: the three AL Manager of the Year candidates combined to win 13 playoff games!

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Timby posted:

Like, what the hell.

Some of this is due to generation size. Millennials are almost as numerous as boomers so they made and paid for movies that appealed to families with kids in that age group.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Shohei is great and all, but like a tenth as cool as Ichiro

That's an impossible standard. The man took financial advice from his dog what can you do to compare???

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

in my opinion it should go to Craig Counsell, i've decided arbitrarily and for no reason today that he's a good manager.

I agree. Craig Counsell is cool and good and has never done anything wrong in his life.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Timby posted:

Like, what the hell.

Matthew McConaughey was in Angels in the Outfield? I watched that movie 500x as a kid but haven't seen it in 20 years. Was he that uptight assistant guy?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
He's the center fielder who gets carried that one time.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I'm looking forward to the Cardinals "finishing in second" to sign Aaron Nola, Blake Snell, and Yoshinobu Yamamoto and we end up with Michael Wacha and Lance Lynn and call it a day

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao this is some college football poo poo, settle down
https://x.com/journalsentinel/status/1721887990472126890?s=20

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Mike_V posted:

I'm looking forward to the Cardinals "finishing in second" to sign Aaron Nola, Blake Snell, and Yoshinobu Yamamoto and we end up with Michael Wacha and Lance Lynn and call it a day

Yeah….. but….yeah.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mike_V posted:

The Cardinals will simply find some guys no one has heard of from their farm system and win the division by 6 or 7 games.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
John mozeliak after trying really hard this year:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao this is some college football poo poo, settle down
https://x.com/journalsentinel/status/1721887990472126890?s=20

I didn't think Brewers fans of this magnitude existed

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They should change the name to rear end Park, imo

Red
Apr 15, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Cardinals will simply find some guys no one has heard of from their farm system and win the division by 6 or 7 games.

They'll just take advantage of dumb GMs like they usually do.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'm starting to get the feeling the dumb GM is inside the Cardinals

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling the dumb GM is inside the Cardinals

The Cardinals had one bad year in like 2 decades.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

it's more about the reports we were hearing this year about how disorganized their player development system is, guys getting conflicting messages at different levels, etc

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Don't forget the insanity around signing a catcher to a 5 year deal, then like 6 weeks into it deciding to bench him and talk about making him an outfielder before admitting maybe that was pretty dumb and walking it all the way back.

It may only be one year but there's a lot of reason to suspect current Cardinals management has no idea what the hell they are doing.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bawfuls posted:

it's more about the reports we were hearing this year about how disorganized their player development system is, guys getting conflicting messages at different levels, etc

I had thought most of their dysfunction was the discovery that they had over-relied on Yadier to do the poo poo the coaches should be doing, so when he retired, they were completely lost, but I didn't realize it went deeper than that.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Don't worry the league will come in and bail the Cards out with extra draft picks

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

how many extra draft picks would the Colorado Rockies have to be given to consistently make the postseason?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The organization still does some things well but the actual major league team has a tiny and bad coaching staff and a front office hamstrung by an owner who doesn’t want to push it with spending even though they’re hitting like…at worst top five in attendance. Mozeliak is saying all the right things about changing their process towards targeting pitching but if the owner won’t pony up then it doesn’t matter

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I wasn't paying any attention to baseball, and now I see the Cubs fired Ross and hired Counsell, and they picked up the option on Hendricks. I like Ross as a guy, but definitely excited to have a real experienced manager for a change. I can only assume the Cubs plan to spend spend spend the next couple of years if they spent that much money on a coach.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MaxTGoodman/status/1721942361905807732

Hal's right everyone: the Yankees must not increase payroll.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Bird in a Blender posted:

I wasn't paying any attention to baseball, and now I see the Cubs fired Ross and hired Counsell, and they picked up the option on Hendricks. I like Ross as a guy, but definitely excited to have a real experienced manager for a change. I can only assume the Cubs plan to spend spend spend the next couple of years if they spent that much money on a coach.

I’m hoping they’re wanting a great coach who can develop their extremely cheap and bad roster, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MaxTGoodman/status/1721942361905807732

Hal's right everyone: the Yankees must not increase payroll.

He's using the Rangers as an example of a team not spending money?