Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Ekeler had a case of the dropsies tonight too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

You need to use the proper inflection when saying this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98&t=35s

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Chargers probably correctly assessed that the Jets weren’t gonna do poo poo against them and the best idea was just to let them implode while they nursed a modest lead.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

lol

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

it's me, this literally happened to me

a parlay for the chargers to win, ekeler to score and the over :saddowns:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Anderson Koopa posted:

I stand corrected, I thought that they cut him. Also Duron Harmon is surprisingly still in the league.

He was cut, yeah, but just to move him to the practice squad. He was reactivated and played in the Falcons game after the latest round of casualties at the front. Even threw a block!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

AndrewP posted:

Chargers probably correctly assessed that the Jets weren’t gonna do poo poo against them and the best idea was just to let them implode while they nursed a modest lead.

Yeah that's what the Ravens did when the Browns had Thompson-Robinson and it was perfect. Every so often that conservative approach is the right one.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

False premise. If you're betting the over on a Jets game it's because you've decided money is sinful and you need to give yours away

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

One of the Jets' offensive touchdowns was from the Eagles.letting them score in order to get the ball back.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Rogue Elephant posted:

it's me, this literally happened to me

a parlay for the chargers to win, ekeler to score and the over :saddowns:

I had the Chargers covering and the over parlay with some funbucks. Jets gonna Jet.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
If Wilson starts next week, Crosby will probably legit end up murdering him

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Sometimes it feels like I have a distinct financial advantage over my peers by virtue of never betting on sports. Having kids wipes that out times 100 but it's nice to have a little edge.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/OptaSTATS/status/1721758020303040938

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

All of these just make me laugh

https://twitter.com/fbgchase/status/1721912786039480387

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Jets seem like a team that should trade an entire draft for a top QB if possible.

I guess another one that could have made a play for Lamar

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 7, 2023

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I mean, that is a better group of guys. Garrett Wilson is a legit as hell #1 WR. Breece Hall might be a top 10 RB. I'd absolutely take Saleh over Gase, though Hackett as the offensive play caller is a closer call. If they still had Sam Darnold they'd probably be serious playoff contenders.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

the way he keeps trying to juggle the ball with his feet to attempt to catch it is hilarious

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Kawalimus posted:

Jets seem like a team that should trade an entire draft for a top QB if possible.

they traded for aaron rodgers

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

sirtommygunn posted:

they traded for aaron rodgers

And hows trading for a 40 year old not named tom brady working out for them..

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Kawalimus posted:

And hows trading for a 40 year old not named tom brady working out for them..

im just saying they did the thing you're suggesting

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

sirtommygunn posted:

im just saying they did the thing you're suggesting

They traded for a guy who was a top QB at one point but they need either a top rookie or some sort of established veteran who isnt 40

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Kawalimus posted:

They traded for a guy who was a top QB at one point but they need either a top rookie or some sort of established veteran who isnt 40

:agreed: then, I was calling for them to sign Carr as a free agent instead of the Rodgers trade the entire offseason. Doesn't look like that would have been great but we'd at least have our picks and a guy other than Zach under center.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The Rodgers trade was a good idea. It's easy to say in hindsight 'oh he's old they should have known', but the Bucs won a SB with even older Tom Brady. A torn Achilles is just a freak injury that is not reserved for old guys.

It's just bad luck and it's a particular shame because this team looks ready to win in so many ways. the real fuckup was not trying to sign a replacement after it happened

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The Jets should have gone after Josh Dobbs. Not getting anybody before the trade deadline is criminal.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

AndrewP posted:

The Rodgers trade was a good idea. It's easy to say in hindsight 'oh he's old they should have known', but the Bucs won a SB with even older Tom Brady. A torn Achilles is just a freak injury that is not reserved for old guys.

It's just bad luck and it's a particular shame because this team looks ready to win in so many ways. the real fuckup was not trying to sign a replacement after it happened

It was not a good idea and I did not need hindsight to see that.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
It's really strange the Jets didn't go out and try to sign a different cheap backup over Zach Wilson. They were screwed when Rodgers went down but Wilson is one of the worst backups in the league and you'd think they'd have realized that after last year and picked up somebody like Trevor Simian or something. Hell even Josh Dobbs. Someone different they could throw out there. Nor did they try to pick one up at the trade deadline after it was clear Wilson still sucked rear end

Edit:

Docjowles posted:

You might want to sit down, cause Trevor Siemian is literally on the Jets roster and they are playing Zach anyway

lmao how did I miss that

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 7, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

You might want to sit down, cause Trevor Siemian is literally on the Jets roster and they are playing Zach anyway

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

sirtommygunn posted:

:agreed: then, I was calling for them to sign Carr as a free agent instead of the Rodgers trade the entire offseason. Doesn't look like that would have been great but we'd at least have our picks and a guy other than Zach under center.

Carr isn't having a great year -- I kinda blame that more on the Saints' lovely coaching than Carr himself, but like, he is still a competent quarterback who can competently complete passes.

All the Jets needed was an adult in the room who could generate enough offense to give that defense the chance for them to win games. They coulda just signed Carr and hired a real offensive coordinator and just made a simple, competent NFL offense, but instead they went for Rodgers and like, yeah, him blowing out his Achilles on the first drive of the season is unpredictable, but, I dunno, doing this incredibly topheavy offense where you bring in Rodgers' guy as offensive coordinator and his friends and receivers and everything is based around Rodgers reading the play at the line and doing all this poo poo for the sake of a 39 year old guy who is coming off an injury that hampered his play last season and the offensive line isn't even that good and you're not doing anything to give yourself some insurance behind him.

It just feels like they were trying way too hard to shoot for the moon while also plugging their ears about all of the very clear ways it could backfire.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The 2024 draft class has a somewhat plentiful crop of QB prospects in that “high upside, kind of raw, but seem worth a gamble”. Prospects ranging from worth taking in the late first to some worth taking in the early third.

I agree the Jets should grab one and hopefully develop a bit while Rodgers plays the final year.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Rodgers was still the correct move and they got hosed by fate. Carr is bad and expensive. Jimmy G is trash. Maybe they should have drafted Will Levis but that was never happening after the Rodgers trade.

https://x.com/fbgchase/status/1721873328225358006?s=20
Imagine rooting for a team capable of scoring touchdowns. I can't.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Even if the Jets had a different QB their OL still sucks rear end.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Getting Rodgers but doing next to nothing to get a decent o-line is a bit sketchy, though.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
How many times do you need to be told it was the right move?!?

(Imo the price was too high and I would’ve signed Carr, but I understand the exterior factors really wanted Rodgers as well so it’s understandable)

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Diva Cupcake posted:

Rodgers was still the correct move and they got hosed by fate. Carr is bad and expensive. Jimmy G is trash. Maybe they should have drafted Will Levis but that was never happening after the Rodgers trade.

https://x.com/fbgchase/status/1721873328225358006?s=20
Imagine rooting for a team capable of scoring touchdowns. I can't.

You only believe that because Rodgers never got the chance to show he was not the big name you remember him to be. He got hurt fast enough that he can live on as a what if fantasy in your head that is always going to be better than reality. I don't know if you remember the 4 snaps he played but he looked like poo poo and there's nothing to say that wouldn't have continued throughout the season, or that he wouldn't have gotten hurt later. Carr isn't good but he's an NFL level player and he's able to stay healthy. With the options we know were available to us, he was the best option at the time.

Like, you can see the Saints on that graph, right? How many more games do you think we win with that instead of what we actually have?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Rodgers had a statistical down year for him in 2022 and looked pretty much like what you'd expect from a typical Derek Carr line (it would be a dream season for Zach Wilson). And don't forget he was MVP in 2021. He was absolutely worth the swing

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Carr's play in the last 2 games would look like the second coming to anyone who has now sat through a second season of the Zach Wilson experience

Rodgers freak injury is exactly the type of disaster it was predictable to expect from a QB who never made his game out of extremely risk averse play in the pocket like Brady and has actively been breaking down the past few years

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Brady is the exception--most guys arent going to keep producing after or even nearing 40 like that. Its more common than in other positions but most guys are cooked by then.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

AndrewP posted:

Rodgers had a statistical down year for him in 2022 and looked pretty much like what you'd expect from a typical Derek Carr line (it would be a dream season for Zach Wilson). And don't forget he was MVP in 2021. He was absolutely worth the swing

Weird thing about guys in their late 30's, their most recent year tends to be their worst statistical year

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

Weird thing about guys in their late 30's, their most recent year tends to be their worst statistical year

he was a year removed from one of his best when they signed him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
He looked like an old, slow 39-year old QB who was gonna be mostly running for his life behind a bad o-line until somebody blasted him hard enough that he would be injured. That it happened after 5 snaps instead of 5 games or whatever doesn't make it hindsight.