Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Also the procedurally generated content means there's exactly one layout for each point of interest so the cryo lab is always exploded and there's always some scientist in the exact same elevator shaft frozen in the exact same way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

it's just shocking that it's not an open world game at all, like that's sort of been the thing in fallout type games but it's just loading areas on top of loading areas. and don't get me started about the terrible stealth poo poo in the game. it's like if someone made a terrible deus ex phone game with the worst enemy AI ever. Starfield seems to be trying a bunch of poo poo from other games but doing none of it competently.

So Deus Ex: The Fall, then.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Germansimp posted:

So Deus Ex: The Fall, then.

lol didn't even know this existed but yeah. all the stealth in SF is vent based. the vents are so comically huge and set up perfectly to avoid enemies, it's really stupid. on one mission I found a vent that lead from the outside of a base with no atmo to inside someone's office, no airlock nothing. the game had no problem with this.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, I think they absolutely know, I think they just don't give a poo poo. 1000 empty planets with some procedurally generated content is cheaper to make than 5 planets filled with handcrafted content, but can be sold for the same price, and "1000 planets!!!" is a great selling point to slap on your advertising material.

This is true, but, counterpoint: Full Sail grads can be had for minimum wage plus half a can of Mr. Pibb a day. Hire them by the dozen and crank out a hundred planets a week.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LifeSunDeath posted:

lol didn't even know this existed but yeah. all the stealth in SF is vent based. the vents are so comically huge and set up perfectly to avoid enemies, it's really stupid. on one mission I found a vent that lead from the outside of a base with no atmo to inside someone's office, no airlock nothing. the game had no problem with this.

Not all the stealth. There's a sneak skill, but it doesn't work for poo poo unless you take off your space suit. The corpo questline (can't remember the name) gives you a dominate person ability that lets you make guards activate consoles or go stand somewhere convenient.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

LifeSunDeath posted:

So Deus Ex: Human Revolution, then.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
“Atmosphere” is a myth perpetuated by Big Spacesuit.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I played Starfield for 90 hours and enjoyed it well enough but it's def the worst Bethes game and I probably will never go back to it lol

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Meowywitch posted:

I played Starfield for 90 hours and enjoyed it well enough but it's def the worst Bethes game and I probably will never go back to it lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Putting Starfield on gamepass at launch was nice. :10bux: to goof around in it for a week and then get bored and know I'll never need to touch it again, tough to beat that.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Game pass is a sneaky good deal, tons of stuff I could demo and not pull the trigger on buying

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

egg_dog posted:

'Wakeboarding'

Good for a speed run, but it pisses off everyone else at the funeral.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Best part about Starfield for me has been the various YouTube reviewers tearing into it in creative ways (thread-relevant link as it is a love song to a buggy companion):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20hkSr0ex0g&t=2035s

From what I've seen, I don't even think Starfield is necessarily a bad game, it mostly just seems bland. With so many outstanding games coming out or rereleasing this year, I don't really have the desire to play it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Phlegmish posted:

Best part about Starfield for me has been the various YouTube reviewers tearing into it in creative ways (thread-relevant link as it is a love song to a buggy companion):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20hkSr0ex0g&t=2035s

From what I've seen, I don't even think Starfield is necessarily a bad game, it mostly just seems bland. With so many outstanding games coming out or rereleasing this year, I don't really have the desire to play it.

nice vid thanks. the blandness isn't just because of the procedural generation, it's in all the flavor text you find around the world. just the lamest filler words on random documents and books, none of it worth reading at all. they clearly tried to make this game on the lowest budget possible.

I'm reminded how cyberpunk was so in your face with the over sexualized world building when you first start out, and it seems stupid at first but it gave the game character. SF you get to Neon and it's just the blandest poo poo ever, a dumb rear end hallway connecting loading areas, that you have to go between countless times, but nothing in there that's interesting at all.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCdzX4Wx_JY

I'm sure this has been posted before, but this is a pretty good collection of wilder Starfield bugs narrated by a guy who's pretty good at playing them for more comedy.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

Stare-Out posted:

Loading into a mission just killed Spidey for some reason

https://i.imgur.com/kJ5gntd.mp4
lol'ed today remembering this

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Darktide headshots have a tendency to make the ragdoll do this accordion neck thing that makes me laugh every time

https://i.imgur.com/Qrh9giu.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/zirb9LI.mp4

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
That's just the corrupting force of chaos leaving the body.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Quill posted:

That's just the corrupting force of chaos leaving the body.

There's no audio, so I'm just gonna assume it makes a PBBBTHHPTHHBBPTHH sound the whole time

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

There's no audio, so I'm just gonna assume it makes a PBBBTHHPTHHBBPTHH sound the whole time

Ah yes, the ululation of Nurgles disciples. A classic.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

Bill the Cat is in that game?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I have hundreds of hours in Darktide (opposite of a flex) and I don't think I've ever seen that. I wonder if it's client-side or related to the weapon or something.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/R0mBil2.mp4

I think he's dead

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

moist turtleneck posted:

Also the procedurally generated content means there's exactly one layout for each point of interest so the cryo lab is always exploded and there's always some scientist in the exact same elevator shaft frozen in the exact same way
Ah, big 'caves in Dragon Age 2' mood except it sounds even more boring.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
At least the Dragon Age 2 cave map had a toilet for you to poop in.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Ripouts let's you pet your gun (it's bio-mechanical and part insect) and it's adorable :3:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

zedprime posted:

At least the Dragon Age 2 cave map had a toilet for you to poop in.
Also at a certain point Dragon Age 2 having just a single large cave map they break up into different sections for different times you go into a cave with crap blocking off the rest of the cave just wraps back around to funny, at least for me.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Reminds me of the original Phantasy Star Online, which had twelve unique maps it did an amazing job remixing and reusing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Agents are GO! posted:

Reminds me of the original Phantasy Star Online, which had twelve unique maps it did an amazing job remixing and reusing.

I miss PSO. I mean it still exists, but I appreciate that it never had the like, modern MMO problem of constantly having to power creep your poo poo out of existence so you could just spend an eternity looking for a guld to go with your milla if you wanted and just use that until you found something else to chase. Meanwhile PSO2 hit the ground running with every possible gear issue in an MMO.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

PetraCore posted:

Also at a certain point Dragon Age 2 having just a single large cave map they break up into different sections for different times you go into a cave with crap blocking off the rest of the cave just wraps back around to funny, at least for me.

I just wish they hadn’t been so lazy as to not adjust the minimap to remove the blocked off section, would have made politely ignoring what they were doing a lot easier.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

MadDogMike posted:

I just wish they hadn’t been so lazy as to not adjust the minimap to remove the blocked off section, would have made politely ignoring what they were doing a lot easier.
I've always joked that Varric is just really bad at describing caves. The minimap thing is dumb, though.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I feel like people probably wouldn't even have noticed if the minimap had been adjusted for each permutation to only show accessible areas. Different maps built out of generic re-usable room modules is a thing a lot of games do and people would have probably assumed that's what DA2 was doing, it not for the fact that the minimap was very clearly showing you "nope, same map, every time".

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

It can't have been as bad as Mass Effect 1's map reuse, right?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Icedude posted:

Mass Effect map reuse you subjected yourself to it by side questing. DA2 took an approach like they made a big map for a main story event, then partitioned it for every other piece of content. Not just side quests, but smaller story events as well. Unavoidable even if you follow critical path only.

DA2 was crunched into existence in something insane like 14 months and accounting for preproduction they probably worked on gameplay assets for 6-9 months. In a technical point of view it's impressive there is as much as there is without you falling out of bounds constantly or seeing weird map generation gremlins but also they could have just not crunched for a year and made a game with lots of maps.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Crisis Core and 358/2 Days both did that kinda thing, where they'd have like five or six maps and just block off various areas of each for the battle.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Icedude posted:

It was absolutely worse. ME1 had a bunch of empty maps they decorated differently for each side quest, so even though it was a bunch of the same areas, they could have somewhat different layouts based on the props in them.

DA2 just had a handful of pre-decorated maps, so it was exactly the same every time, except different enemy layouts and they might block off a door (but if you opened your map, you could see everything behind it)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Mass Effect also at least stuck the prefab building in the middle of a different terrain heightmap each time

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

haveblue posted:

Mass Effect also at least stuck the prefab building in the middle of a different terrain heightmap each time

And had a setting where prefab buildings made sense. It's not like you expect every Honda Civic to have a different layout.

Although I get the feeling something weird happened during ME1's development. It's too obviously Star Control.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 17:41 on Nov 14, 2023

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

haveblue posted:

I played ME1 recently and it does stick out, but at least there is a slight excuse in universe where they just used the same prefabs. Except all the caves were also the same... So that doesn't work. It was definitely better in ME2 where you had less places but they were all unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
DA2 would vary the shaders, widgets, and decals too. There was a few times I was like wow, a new map! before I found the toilet again and realized they just had a really good shader.