Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Branch Nvidian posted:

So Noctua emailed me about my RMA claim, which isn't really noteworthy beyond the last sentence here

:allears:

I can imagine the support person thinking how can they scream in horror over email while being as polite as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I did at least reply that I was aware, that I removed the CPU after the photo was taken, and that the CPU was undamaged!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I thought basically everyone had yanked a CPU out with the cooler one time or another. I know that I have, at least twice over the years.

The only time it resulted in damaged pins was on my Socket 939 board, but it worked fine afterwards anyway. I must have only hit power pins.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Box wine posted:

No, the whole 8x/8x is for sli/crossfire. Running two gpus in other words. Running m.2s should have no effect whatsoever on the mode your graphics card runs at. Though you are correct in realizing the lanes can become a limit and if you read the manual there's a bunch of asterisks saying, if you run this usb header this other one is shut off and if you run these m.2s your sata is disabled and so forth.

The diagram really doesn't give you enough info to infer all this.

Thanks, thats a great point, and I found that I can only use 1 of two m2 slots without impacting the sata raid I have setup. I have an m2 on the way and an extra 2tb of fast storage should keep this computer running another few generations at least.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Box wine posted:

No, the whole 8x/8x is for sli/crossfire. Running two gpus in other words. Running m.2s should have no effect whatsoever on the mode your graphics card runs at. Though you are correct in realizing the lanes can become a limit and if you read the manual there's a bunch of asterisks saying, if you run this usb header this other one is shut off and if you run these m.2s your sata is disabled and so forth.

A bit notable on this front is that, going by posted specs, a lot of especially modern boards (ones made with Raptor Lake-adjacent B760/Z790 chipsets, or Raphael/Storm Peak-adjacent B650/X670 chipsets) actually have enough lanes going to run pretty much everything, even if you max out the slots. I know Intel B760 has some of its own limitations (limited-at-best overclocking for one) but especially depending on board layout and form factor compared to chipset, it appears that the annoying slot-juggling you can sometimes face is becoming less of a thing. I know I had to worry about slot nonsense with the ancient motherboard I'm currently using and its sole, then-rare m.2 slot.

TLDR, if you go shopping for a new motherboard today, make sure to do a little research and see if it's still facing any slot limitations. Higher-end or smartly engineered ones should be mostly free of those problems at this point.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Twerk from Home posted:

I thought basically everyone had yanked a CPU out with the cooler one time or another. I know that I have, at least twice over the years.

The only time it resulted in damaged pins was on my Socket 939 board, but it worked fine afterwards anyway. I must have only hit power pins.

This has never happened to me but I always remember to twist and lift

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This PC (7700k) actually isn't showing it's age at all except when I built it I used a 480gb SSD and a 2TB RAID10 of HDDs. This was perfect for OS drive and then all my hobbyist A/V content. Games today however are now 80+gb and the latest releases want to stream assets while you turn the camera(!). Good luck running Talos Principle 2 off a HDD basically. So that's been an interesting way for a build to age.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Twerk from Home posted:

I recently disassembled an overclocked Phenom II 965BE build that for the last several years operated as a hackbox/torrentbox. The cpu came off with the cooler and was practically glued together so much that I had to use a flathead to pry it free.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

change my name posted:

Yeah, I broke those 939 pins when I twisted and the CPU twisted with the cooler. It was really on there. I don't remember what thermal paste I was using in 2005, though.

I should really repaste my 2500K. Temps seem fine though, it's from the good old days when Intel soldered the IHS on.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Salt Fish posted:

This PC (7700k) actually isn't showing it's age at all except when I built it I used a 480gb SSD and a 2TB RAID10 of HDDs. This was perfect for OS drive and then all my hobbyist A/V content. Games today however are now 80+gb and the latest releases want to stream assets while you turn the camera(!). Good luck running Talos Principle 2 off a HDD basically. So that's been an interesting way for a build to age.

Yup. See also: even moreso than the precise CPU or GPU I pick, the biggest hem-hawing point on my current planned Christmas build is between a 2TB m.2 SSD, or a 4TB SSD of similar caliber and read/write speeds which might cost upwards of three times as much, but the idea would eventually be to fill all three m.2s with these 4TBs over time as my needs expand (versus just policing what I have installed on smaller, less expensive 1-2TB drives and hoping installs take a good while longer to crest much past the 200GB range). Games are not going to get smaller, on balance, and evidently streaming assets straight from the SSD is now just going to be a standard Thing because the PS5 and XSX can do it, so the age of platterdrives for anything other than pure archival storage well and truly seems to be at an end. I actually picked up a WD Black SN770 as a stopgap game holder back in August or so, and it's worked well enough (to the point that it will go on to live in the new system as the preliminary secondary drive), but it's also just made clear how much the rest of my system is on its last legs and the time for a general upgrade has come.

It really is an end-of-life state I didn't quite see coming, even if it is incredibly obvious in retrospect. m.2 SSDs in particular just offer so many obvious advantages over any other storage solution that it was a little foolish to think that developers wouldn't eventually start requiring that technology and the benefits that come with it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

change my name posted:

Other good tip is to run the thing for a bit with a decent CPU load before you power it off and try to remove the CPU. Helps get the compound more pliable so twist n lift works better.

I bashed in a whole row of pins removing my 3600 to change the cooler. Just bent them back and they work fine.

edit: to be fair this was a tremendously scary experience

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 6, 2023

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

So, as another Specific Build Question: precisely how much cooler does a 12600KF, 13600KF and/or a 7800X3D actually require? I know they're air-coolable from a previous question, but is it possible to get away with just a ~$35-40 cooler like a Thermalright Peerless Assassin or Deepcool 400, or at those wattage levels, even if they aren't as extreme for the 12600, do you need to start thinking about something heavier like a Deepcool 620 or a Be Quiet Dark Rock? I've been out of the CPU game long enough that I no longer have a good "feel" for what kind of CPU requires what, exactly, and I'm not quite sure how much I should spend on a CPU cooler vs. what's actually needed.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

So, as another Specific Build Question: precisely how much cooler does a 12600KF, 13600KF and/or a 7800X3D actually require? I know they're air-coolable from a previous question, but is it possible to get away with just a ~$35-40 cooler like a Thermalright Peerless Assassin or Deepcool 400, or at those wattage levels, even if they aren't as extreme for the 12600, do you need to start thinking about something heavier like a Deepcool 620 or a Be Quiet Dark Rock? I've been out of the CPU game long enough that I no longer have a good "feel" for what kind of CPU requires what, exactly, and I'm not quite sure how much I should spend on a CPU cooler vs. what's actually needed.

The Peerless Assassin is an outstanding cooler for the money. It's just a real winner. It is absolutely an appropriate cooler for those chips, you wouldn't be giving up on much potential at all.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

The Peerless Assassin is an outstanding cooler for the money. It's just a real winner. It is absolutely an appropriate cooler for those chips, you wouldn't be giving up on much potential at all.

Cool! I was thinking the PA just looked like "that's a 620 or Dark Rock, but for like half the money, what's the catch", but if it really is just That Good and the gimmick is that Thermalright is just willing to slice their competition off at the knees, hell, I'm all for it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

What in the chicken fried gently caress is this?

quote:

7. Buy-Out and Rent-to-Own
This Subscription is not a rent-to-own program. At no point will Subscriber own the Rental Devices, or other Services, provided under this Subscription, even if Subscriber payments aggregate to more than the collective retail price for all Services.

If Subscriber seeks to purchase their Rental Device, and/or any other Services in connection with this Agreement, Operator may, but is not required to, extend Subscriber an option to purchase their Rental Device(s), and any additional Services which Operator chooses to include.

PC rentals? For a hundred goddamn dollars a month, and it doesn't even have a buyout option??

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

What in the chicken fried gently caress is this?

PC rentals? For a hundred goddamn dollars a month, and it doesn't even have a buyout option??

That's much cheaper than Aaron's charges to rent stuff, just a keyboard and mouse are $65/mo:

If you want to buy an Xbox from Aarons: https://www.aarons.com/electronics/gaming/xbox-series-x-1tb-console-7339Z81.html

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

That's much cheaper than Aaron's charges to rent stuff, just a keyboard and mouse are $65/mo:

If you want to buy an Xbox from Aarons: https://www.aarons.com/electronics/gaming/xbox-series-x-1tb-console-7339Z81.html

So Aarons and other lease-to-own programs are extremely predatory, but least at the end of the day you do own the stuff once you've paid 4x the actual price of your Xbox.

Edit: Like, don't get me wrong, I think lease-to-own programs are almost entirely scummy and predatory, but it's the lack of even having a buyout option for the PC that rubs me the wrong way. If someone who only wants a new system every 5 years gets one of these things that's nearly $6,000 for a system that right now would cost less than $1,200.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($158.10 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken 120 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: TEAMGROUP T-Create Classic DL 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac Twin Edge GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card ($539.95 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H5 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Apevia Galaxy 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1134.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-06 20:20 EST-0500

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 7, 2023

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

You could just...finance an XSX from one of Microsoft's partners, pay half that monthly price, pay no interest and get Game Pass Ultimate thrown in the mix. :stare:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Holy loving loly, we're back to the early 90s in terms of renting PCs (or at least some chucklefucks are trying it again). I remember my folks got roped into a scheme like this for a bit in ~1990 before realizing it was a scam and they were better off buying a PC. That IBM they bought was the machine I first played Wing Commander and ZZT on :3:

But yeah this is hideous predatory nonsense meant to prey on the desperate who cannot do price comparisons or lack access to the ability to do so. Never doubt the late-capital impulse to Seek Rent in any way possible.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 7, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

You could just...finance an XSX from one of Microsoft's partners, pay half that monthly price, pay no interest and get Game Pass Ultimate thrown in the mix. :stare:

iirc the XSX all access finance thing actually comes out cheaper than buying the system outright plus game pass ultimate for an equal duration to the finance agreement.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
These days for building a higher-ish end gaming pc, is intel or amd the clear cut ahead of the competition? Or is it still a toss up?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Kwolok posted:

These days for building a higher-ish end gaming pc, is intel or amd the clear cut ahead of the competition? Or is it still a toss up?

It depends.

The AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D is the best gaming CPU on the market. Full stop. It outperforms parts more expensive than it, from both manufacturers, on games and game-related apps, and in its price bracket is the absolute best value you can purchase, dollar for dollar.

... in its price bracket. $400 is still a lot, and while you can pretty easily argue that if you were willing to spend $300 on a CPU, you should bite the bullet and get the 7800 for one benjamin more, if you're looking to spend even less, down to the $200 range or so, it gets a lot muzzier.

12th-generation Intel Core parts (the 12### series) are a bit older, but they're currently priced very competitively. The 13th-gen parts have largely had their lunch eaten by the 7800 (though remain valid-ish for non-game applications), but the result of this pressure is that the previous gen parts - especially the "KF" versions (unlocked, and lacking the integrated on-die GPU) - have seen very aggressive price drops. The i5 12600KF is currently ~$195 on Amazon, and the i7 12700KF is $277. These are pretty aggressive prices for what you get, the 12600 especially - you don't get the huge L3 cache and a few other gubbins that the 7800X3D has, but you still get a hexa-core or octa-core CPU with some additional "efficiency cores" for background tasks, and you still have more than enough CPU to get good framerates at 1080p and 1440p, all for about the same thermal footprint as the 7800.

Much more important, though, is that the 12### series is both a slightly older part, and also hasn't sold amazingly well even prior to the release of the 7800 (the Ryzen 7700x and 7600x having also been competitive and affordable parts, as well as the wide availability of the 5#00 series) and so these parts have been seeing some steep discounts this year. There have been several times in the past 180 days where the 12600KF has gone down to $150, and the 12700 has hit all the way down to $215. At those prices, they go from "decent budget chips" to "complete and utter no-brainers", the 12700 especially. That discount puts the 12700 at almost half its debut MSRP, and an octa-core processor with supplementary cores at that price could have a kilobyte of processing cache and still be worth it. (The 12###es have a lot more than that.) Combine this with the 12###'s ability to use slightly slower but less expensive DDR4, and widespread availability of motherboards, and you end up with an incredibly attractive and aggressive budget option. The 5#00 Ryzens struggle a bit to compete there, and the other 7#00 series haven't been discounted that aggressively. Yet.

This is why some of us are saying people should really hold off for Black Friday and whatnot. There's a pretty good chance that, over the holiday period, older 12### Intel parts are going to be priced to move, if the past six months have been any indication, and there may be similar moves from AMD to try and compete (early October saw the 7800X3D go on sale for a bit for $349, which influenced the conversation a different direction again). It's really going to depend on your budget and priorities, but there are probably going to be some fantastic CPU deals around the time of November 24th.

So: it depends.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 7, 2023

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Kwolok posted:

Yeah Space Drake's answer seems to sum it up, I'm also looking for a new build, and the 7800 is always on top in most game benchmarks, at a much cheaper price. If you want to pay more there's the amd 7950X, which has a lot stronger performance in multithreaded/productivity tasks, almost 2x in some benchmarks, but it also has this weird (likely rare) bug with USB ports and apparently the core parking is silly, needing the Xbox game bar to run in the background to engage the fast cores. That's basically the only thing that turns me off about it. Also it's much less power hungry than the Intel, in general. I saw the Gamers Nexus review and they recommend installing some app to manage their cores etc.

I'm looking at the i9-14900K and it seems fine, but it lands on 2nd place on a lot of benchmarks (except for Starfield, which might be enough to make me choose it :v: )

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Okay, we have a "everyone shut the hell up" moment. (EDIT: Or not, these are almost certainly scam sellers and I am dumb. Do not spend money on this.)

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Amazon does not have to and will not fulfill the purchase if it's a scam. The best they'll do is give you your money back. And that is 100% a scam.

OP for posterity:

In just the past... few hours? A seller went live on Amazon with deals on graphics cards. Absurd deals. Deals that seem way too good to be true. Best AMD card prices on Amazon in forever. (And some deals of questionable taste.)

Naturally, there's a lot of reason to be skeptical, and certainly shipping will take a while (since it's coming from mainland China), but even if it turns out to be a complete scam, going through Amazon would, I think, still mean that Amazon itself is required to make good on the purchase even if it doesn't initially come through.

Folks with more recent Amazon experience can maybe chime in. I'm still having to talk myself out of picking up that 7900 XTX, because if it is legit, that is an absurd deal for $440. Hell, it'd be an absurd deal with a protection plan. At $440, a 7900 XTX would still do better in raytracing than a NV 4070 Standard (even with AMD's less-good raytracing implementation), and would just loving flatten it in non-raytraced apps, and it'd cost $100 less. The 4070Ti is also tempting as a cringe conversation piece, though, I can't tell no fibs.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 7, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

Okay, we have a "everyone shut the hell up" moment.

In just the past... few hours? A seller went live on Amazon with deals on graphics cards. Absurd deals. Deals that seem way too good to be true. Best AMD card prices on Amazon in forever. (And some deals of questionable taste.)

Naturally, there's a lot of reason to be skeptical, and certainly shipping will take a while (since it's coming from mainland China), but even if it turns out to be a complete scam, going through Amazon would, I think, still mean that Amazon itself is required to make good on the purchase even if it doesn't initially come through.

Folks with more recent Amazon experience can maybe chime in. I'm still having to talk myself out of picking up that 7900 XTX, because if it is legit, that is an absurd deal for $440. Hell, it'd be an absurd deal with a protection plan. At $440, a 7900 XTX would still do better in raytracing than a NV 4070 Standard (even with AMD's less-good raytracing implementation), and would just loving flatten it in non-raytraced apps, and it'd cost $100 less. The 4070Ti is also tempting as a cringe conversation piece, though, I can't tell no fibs.

My sibling in spirituality, those are scam sellers. Do not buy them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM-WDoCAyaw

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

SpaceDrake posted:

Okay, we have a "everyone shut the hell up" moment.

no we do not, do not do this lmao

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Amazon does not have to and will not fulfill the purchase if it's a scam. The best they'll do is give you your money back. And that is 100% a scam.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

My sibling in spirituality, those are scam sellers. Do not buy them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM-WDoCAyaw

I kind of figured :v:. I just wasn't sure how commonplace this was in TYOOL 2023.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also, just, lol. It's good to know that Amazon is just the wild loving west now, and that unless it's a direct sale from a known vendor, you are 100% taking your money and wellbeing into your own hands with every purchase you make on the platform. Let this stand as an informative lesson.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 7, 2023

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you can't trust caoxianhengxiubaihuofuzhuangdian then who CAN you trust?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Trust no one, not even yourself. Especially with the scam listings now having been pulled down; at least someone over there was paying attention, seemingly.

I'm very slightly sad, and slightly disturbed, that Maxsun's breaches of good taste appear to be largely sold out in legitimate sales.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2--LKboOWIU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Amazon Australia has a bunch of 6700 XTs listed for around 600NZD. I could potentially pull the trigger on one in a couple months if I save my bonus checks. What sort of reputation do AMD's third-parties have these days?

e: currently looking at this one as it's the only 3-fan option at that price point.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 8, 2023

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Is the Corsair Carbide Air 540 case obsolete ? I suppose the design is 10 years old now...

I love it, despite its hugeness. It's really nice to use, tons of airflow, upgrading components is 2ez. Seems harder to find in stock now

I guess cube cases didn't catch on huh

Looking at Corsair's Obsidian 1000D but seems a little expensive. I need something that does not scream "GAMER" (but I will be playing games on it, definitely).

edit: holy poo poo it's huge! I thought the 540 was big

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqkFNpngDSE

Yeah that might be too big

edit again: I think the NZXT H9 Elite seems like a good replacement. Need something that looks "serious"

Final edit:

Ok I think I'm almost done - anything wrong jump out in this build?

Decided to try Intel one last time. Mostly wondering if it will be a noisy build, and if it will run cool or if I need more fans ?

I would've chosen a 4090 but they're not in stock at the approved vendor

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K 3.2 GHz 24-Core Processor ($580.44 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken Elite 360 78.02 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($269.99 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Cooler Master MasterGel Pro 1.5 g Thermal Paste ($26.50 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ProArt Z790-CREATOR WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($439.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston FURY Renegade 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6800 CL36 Memory ($205.31 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston NV2 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($107.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Gold 20 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($459.99 @ Western Digital)
Storage: Western Digital Gold 20 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($459.99 @ Western Digital)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card ($1319.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT H9 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case ($239.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold V2 ATX3.0 1050 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($149.99 @ Adorama)
Case Fan: Asus ROG STRIX XF 62.5 CFM 120 mm Fan ($29.99 @ ASUS)
Total: $4470.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-08 00:32 EST-0500

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 8, 2023

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

So, a few things, as while I'm guessing budget is nigh unlimited, there's a few things that I do think could be tweaked

- As Salt Fish and I ended up discussing upthread, for game purposes the era of the platter drive is more or less actively coming to an end as we shitpost. More and more games are being released that will expect to be able to stream assets off the drive constantly (as in, "reload assets as you turn the camera" streaming) because the PS5 is capable of doing this, and will require streaming from an SSD to operate correctly. So by and large, you won't be able to load up those double 20TB platter drives with games - if you try, they just won't work correctly. I think keeping a single platter drive around as a media & ancient game archive still has merit, but I think the budget here would be far better spent on a single platter drive in the 4-6TB range, and then spend the rest of that money filling your M-key m.2 slots out with 2-4TB, good-quality SSDs (typically Samsung and WD drives, but research can help here). That'll give you plenty of game storage and it will all operate lightning-quick. You've picked a motherboard with plenty of m.2 slots, so you may as well use them.
- If this is primarily a game device, I think you'll be better served by a 7800X3D, and you'll save a bit for other things in so doing. (Though if this machine is going to be used significantly for other things, a Raptor Lake refresh makes more sense.)
- I've heard some reports that NZXTs can be pretty noisy, especially under load, but other goons will have to chime in on this.
- I'm a bit curious: given the rest of it being a bit of a shrine to excess, why the 4080? You can get a 4090 for a few hundred dollars more, and this feels like the kind of build where you go whole hog on everything. Is it a slot-blocking issue?
- Similarly: 32GB on this monster? What are we, people who conserve money? :v: This one is easily expandable in the future, at least.
- As always, remember that you can save a hundo by picking up Win11 from SA Mart and just putting together your own boot drive on an $8 thumbdrive.

And of course, standard caveats for buying mere weeks before the biggest discount season of the year, though I wonder how much utility you'd actually get from that. :v: Otherwise, it looks "fine", though I'm a little curious about the choice of the PRO ART over other, potentially more affordable motherboards. (Quad M-key setups still tend to run pretty rich, but not quite as spendy as that board.)

Basically, I'm compelled to ask: are you really ready to spend four grand on a computerbox?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

So, a few things, as while I'm guessing budget is nigh unlimited, there's a few things that I do think could be tweaked

- As Salt Fish and I ended up discussing upthread, for game purposes the era of the platter drive is more or less actively coming to an end as we shitpost. More and more games are being released that will expect to be able to stream assets off the drive constantly (as in, "reload assets as you turn the camera" streaming) because the PS5 is capable of doing this, and will require streaming from an SSD to operate correctly. So by and large, you won't be able to load up those double 20TB platter drives with games - if you try, they just won't work correctly. I think keeping a single platter drive around as a media & ancient game archive still has merit, but I think the budget here would be far better spent on a single platter drive in the 4-6TB range, and then spend the rest of that money filling your M-key m.2 slots out with 2-4TB, good-quality SSDs (typically Samsung and WD drives, but research can help here). That'll give you plenty of game storage and it will all operate lightning-quick. You've picked a motherboard with plenty of m.2 slots, so you may as well use them.
- If this is primarily a game device, I think you'll be better served by a 7800X3D, and you'll save a bit for other things in so doing. (Though if this machine is going to be used significantly for other things, a Raptor Lake refresh makes more sense.)
- I've heard some reports that NZXTs can be pretty noisy, especially under load, but other goons will have to chime in on this.
- I'm a bit curious: given the rest of it being a bit of a shrine to excess, why the 4080? You can get a 4090 for a few hundred dollars more, and this feels like the kind of build where you go whole hog on everything. Is it a slot-blocking issue?
- Similarly: 32GB on this monster? What are we, people who conserve money? :v: This one is easily expandable in the future, at least.
- As always, remember that you can save a hundo by picking up Win11 from SA Mart and just putting together your own boot drive on an $8 thumbdrive.

And of course, standard caveats for buying mere weeks before the biggest discount season of the year, though I wonder how much utility you'd actually get from that. :v: Otherwise, it looks "fine", though I'm a little curious about the choice of the PRO ART over other, potentially more affordable motherboards. (Quad M-key setups still tend to run pretty rich, but not quite as spendy as that board.)

Thank you for the tips :cheers:

to clarify - the hdds are needed to hold media/3D assets(textures, 3D models etc).
It’s meant for “productivity” but I’m also gonna game on it :getin: . Had to choose a 4080 because the approved retailer ran out of stock of 4090’s, so… 2nd best it is.
I was thinking of going to 64gb but not sure how big the performance boost might be.

SpaceDrake posted:

Basically, I'm compelled to ask: are you really ready to spend four grand on a computerbox?

You know, you’d be surprised how generous one can be when it’s not your money :sun:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

You know, you’d be surprised how generous one can be when it’s not your money :sun:

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Of course. I was kind of wondering, given your previous comments. Well then, by all means :v:

So in that case, first off, the 14900 does make a lot more sense, though you still might find that the top-end Zen4 Ryzen 9s (7900X or 7950X) fit your needs similarly well while being slightly easier to justify to the bosses and using significantly less power (as we discussed in the Intel thread, strapping sixteen Pentium 4s to your nominally eight-core processor has some effects on thermal and electrical efficiency) and thus being easier and significantly less loud to cool at load. Prices aren't that far off from each other, though, especially if you go for the 14900KF (because gently caress knows you won't need the iGPU on the standard K in a build like this) so it really is up to you and what you want to prioritize.

Also, while this is still going to primarily be a game """testing"""" machine, since it sounds like you will be doing a more-than-nominal amount of dev/media work on it, another set of 2x16GB modules wouldn't cost much, and going to 64GB will help with IDEs and such. Modern ones can be lorge fuckers, and it's nice to give them room to lounge about. Also, here's hoping to your vendor getting a 4090 back in stock.

The platters now make a lot more sense (and I am fully aware of how large development environments and the like can get, especially during active dev), so take my previous advice more as a hint: while more than 2TB of SSD will probably be hard to justify to The Benefactors, in practical use you might find it a little thin for a heavy gaming environment, so it might help to spend a little of your own money on an additional m.2 SSD or two. (Do note that the board will disable SATAs 5 thru 8 if you plug something in to the 4th m.2 slot, but that shouldn't be an issue with this build.)

Beyond that, it all comes down to what you can justify to the folks footing the bill, so shine on in the hearts of men, you snuggly knit cardigan of a pink diamond. :sun:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
5600X3D, down to $160 at MicroCenter

https://www.microcenter.com/product/674506/amd-ryzen-5-5600x3d-vermeer-am4-33ghz-6-core-boxed-processor-heatsink-not-included

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Best USB Bluetooth adapter for wireless earbuds? Just looking for something that doesn't have audio lag so I can watch video in sync.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Bloody Pom posted:

Amazon Australia has a bunch of 6700 XTs listed for around 600NZD. I could potentially pull the trigger on one in a couple months if I save my bonus checks. What sort of reputation do AMD's third-parties have these days?

e: currently looking at this one as it's the only 3-fan option at that price point.

XFX is has been around for ages, if you're buying an AMD card they're one of the better options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

man I think i got to pull the trigger on this at this point

edit: for anyone looking for a very cheap and cheerful CPU/MB/RAM bundle there is this: https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle for $270. 5600X3D, a Wifi B550 motherboard, and 16GB DDR4.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 8, 2023