Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I got both puzzle ratings over 2k but haven't been able to play much long chess lately because of family reasons. I have been doing a lot of rapid anon on lichess, which is nice because if I suddenly need to be doing something more important I don't have to feel bad abandoning a game where I'm 12 minutes into my clock and winning.

I was expecting to face a bunch of cheaters, but I don't think I've seen one yet. Or if I have, they've done a good job at covering themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mikojan posted:

gz! what rating were you around the time you started?

I'm going to say 900-ish in the spring. I played a lot about 10 years ago in high school to beat my best friend and made it to 1100 back then, but 1200 always felt like an unreachable milestone. I felt like I plateaued around 1100 again, but about a week back I feel like I had an epiphany that I should still try to make good moves even in positions that felt "arbitrary" in the endgame (which pawn should my rook capture, which square should my king escape to, etc.).

Also don't resign even if you badly hang a piece- it's about who makes the last mistake.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

never resign, there's always a chance for your opponent to gently caress up and stalemate you

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. I recently had a game where I was down a full rook. My opponent hung their bishop, traded their rook for my knight then hosed up the resulting King/Pawn vs King endgame to give me a draw (everyone should learn this one btw).

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

never resign, there's always a chance for your opponent to gently caress up and stalemate you

I know, and I don't, but I always feel kind of guilty when it happens.

Until I remember the last time I accidently stalemated someone or ran out of time.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mikojan posted:

I know, and I don't, but I always feel kind of guilty when it happens.

Until I remember the last time I accidently stalemated someone or ran out of time.

A way to think of it is that you're helping them learn just as much as you're learning. Learning to convert a winning endgame is an important skill and it's a hard one to practice at lower levels when people keep resigning from being down material.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

A way to think of it is that you're helping them learn just as much as you're learning. Learning to convert a winning endgame is an important skill and it's a hard one to practice at lower levels when people keep resigning from being down material.

Agreed and that's why, any time my opponent kicks my rear end all game long and then fails to convert the W I mutter "that'll learn 'em" under my breath.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anyone who'd like to "Build Habits, But Degenerately", Aman has posted a few new Building Habits videos but for 1+0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rukSx9gsb2o

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
What kind of score do you guys get on this? https://lichess.org/training/coordinate I feel good about myself if I get 20+ but I have a feeling that is relatively low.

I've been trying to get better at following high level chess analysis but when they start rattling off coordinates I can't keep up.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
14 after a few tries with white, much worse with black. It is far from instinctive for me

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
First attempt I was looking from the black side and boy howdy was I bad at that, a very messy 11 I think. Swapped to white side and went again for 20.

Bear in mind I haven't played chess in a hot minute but I've been watching a bunch of it, for some reason

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I just instinctively know my brain is not wired to be able to do this. I will forever be bad at it and I accept that

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Mikojan posted:

I just instinctively know my brain is not wired to be able to do this. I will forever be bad at it and I accept that

Chess or the coordinates thing?

It's helping me improve my coordinates knowledge just keep using it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mikojan posted:

I felt the same way in the past for at least two things. I was sure I was never going to remember which option contract type was a call and which was a put. Then like after five years of occasionally talking about them in a BFC thread, they clicked permanently and now I never forget.
Also for like a decade I was sure I'd never fully memorize the positions at a poker table - they move with the button which moves one player over every hand, and they have names like under the gun, cut off, middle position, middle position plus one, etc. Then after not really playing much poker but generally chatting about it and watching videos occasionally after a couple two three years, it clicked and now is totally natural.

I think it's the same deal. If you just use the terms and are exposed to them and stuff, after a few years they click. I've already got d4 d5 e4 and e5 super solid because those are the most common opening squares for pawns. If you say e4 I don't have to count over squares and use my fingers to find it, it's just that square. I figure the rest will come with time and patience and not trying too hard to memorize it, just gradually get used to it.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

What kind of score do you guys get on this? https://lichess.org/training/coordinate I feel good about myself if I get 20+ but I have a feeling that is relatively low.

I've been trying to get better at following high level chess analysis but when they start rattling off coordinates I can't keep up.

2nd try with white: 30
2nd try with black: 22

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
First try with black I got 7.
Second try black again, I accidentally clicked on the navigation menu trying to get to D1 and clicked into an analysis board.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I found a brilliant move in this position. I thought it was fairly obvious, but apparently Stockfish disagreed.

Nc6+ c6, and the Black bishop is trapped behind an impenetrable wall of pawns. If Black tries to avoid that, the knight gets away, or at least takes an extra pawn before being captured.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Chamale posted:

I found a brilliant move in this position. I thought it was fairly obvious, but apparently Stockfish disagreed.

Nc6+ c6, and the Black bishop is trapped behind an impenetrable wall of pawns. If Black tries to avoid that, the knight gets away, or at least takes an extra pawn before being captured.

huh that's cute. But Isn't it basically already like that? I didn't guess it anyway. I was thinking
Ng6, to threaten the rook and avoid them pairing up as well. That way you don't give either your rook or knight away for free, but it's probably wrong somewhere.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
I think because blacks rook is already hanging any move that isn't forcing will let black trade rooks. So the "brilliant" move is an intermezzo that lets white's hanging knight either escape or inflict a permanent weakness, and since it's check the rook is still free

Edit: maybe a better way to say it is you're already winning an exchange here, so the question is what's the best way to win it.

grah fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 10, 2023

Dawning Horror
Jun 18, 2009

Mikojan posted:

huh that's cute. But Isn't it basically already like that? I didn't guess it anyway. I was thinking
Ng6, to threaten the rook and avoid them pairing up as well. That way you don't give either your rook or knight away for free, but it's probably wrong somewhere.

If Ng6 Rxf2 then if Kxf2 Rh6 traps the knight. If instead Ng6 Rxf2 Nxh8 Rf6 traps the knight.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Feature request: online chess and puzzles should have an indicator for castling rights:

In this image white has played Rg1, Rh1 and lost rights on the kingside.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Salt Fish posted:

Feature request: online chess and puzzles should have an indicator for castling rights:

In this image white has played Rg1, Rh1 and lost rights on the kingside.

It's a cool idea but realistically it just doesn't come up

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lichess puzzles through the website show the history of the game so you can see if you really want to, but in the app you don't see it and the chess.com puzzles don't seem to show a game history.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
We're only missing 2 bits of information! The people want FEN feature parity in their online chess puzzles.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I guess for your own moves you can decide if you think castling is the best move and then try it, but for the opponent I think it'd be pretty rare that you forced a castle move. Is that even possible? Puzzles (almost?) always seem to require you to force the opponent's moves, at least so far, but I'm not super high ranked in puzzles yet.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Once you get to higher rated puzzles it's more about making sure your candidate best move doesn't have any refutations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i will never stop playing first move of every puzzle on vibes alone

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I get annoyed by puzzles that (seem to) rely on a hidden stockfish assessment that this forced trade, in which I gain material, is also leaving me in a better position. I can't always tell that the position is better. I also feel like occasionally a puzzle is assuming that the opponent makes a move that isn't forced, where I'm not sure if that's actually the opponent's best move if they notice what I'm doing. It's very possible that this is a failure on my part to correctly assess the final position or notice that if the opponent doesn't take the move the puzzle makes them take, they'd lose material or advantage in some other way.

But I really wish the puzzles actually came with some kind of commentary or analysis, especially when there's a finished board that seems ambiguous to me. Just tell me: "stockfish says this is +5 for you" or something.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I miss a lot of puzzles like this (from Woodpecker Method, No. 35 in the easy puzzles section):

edit: Black to move

I saw the overloaded Bishop in the first minute, but thought Bxe4 Qxe4 and he was fine. Spend the remainder of my time trying to figure out why I was wrong and never spotted that Qxe4 hangs his Rook with check.

It drives me nuts because I am to the point where I toss lots of games like this. I'll end up with a couple of inaccuracies, a couple of mistakes, no blunders and like 6 misses because moves like this just hang there forever. But I guess if I could snap my fingers today and be the best chess player I'm ever going to be, it would take some of the fun out of it.

Coincidentally if you are considering the book, this is pretty representative of the puzzle difficulty of the first 250 or so, the "easy" section.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 17, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
^^^ I spent a minute starting at that without having any ideas. Then your spoiler confused me even more until I figured out it is black to move, very confusing.

Leperflesh posted:

I get annoyed by puzzles that (seem to) rely on a hidden stockfish assessment that this forced trade, in which I gain material, is also leaving me in a better position. I can't always tell that the position is better. I also feel like occasionally a puzzle is assuming that the opponent makes a move that isn't forced, where I'm not sure if that's actually the opponent's best move if they notice what I'm doing. It's very possible that this is a failure on my part to correctly assess the final position or notice that if the opponent doesn't take the move the puzzle makes them take, they'd lose material or advantage in some other way.

But I really wish the puzzles actually came with some kind of commentary or analysis, especially when there's a finished board that seems ambiguous to me. Just tell me: "stockfish says this is +5 for you" or something.

Lichess puzzles have that problem because they are machine generated and those puzzles are supposed to be purged by puzzle players downvoting them. Because people are lazy or ashamed of downvoting puzzles they had problems with they stay active.This is a hint that you should downvote those puzzles if you see them.

If you are confused you should just turn on stockfish and look at the alternatives, that is what I do. Lichess's interface makes that easy.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 17, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Huxley posted:

I miss a lot of puzzles like this (from Woodpecker Method, No. 35 in the easy puzzles section):

I saw the overloaded Bishop in the first minute, but thought Bxe4 Qxe4 and he was fine. Spend the remainder of my time trying to figure out why I was wrong and never spotted that Qxe4 hangs his Rook with check.

It drives me nuts because I am to the point where I toss lots of games like this. I'll end up with a couple of inaccuracies, a couple of mistakes, no blunders and like 6 misses because moves like this just hang there forever. But I guess if I could snap my fingers today and be the best chess player I'm ever going to be, it would take some of the fun out of it.

Coincidentally if you are considering the book, this is pretty representative of the puzzle difficulty of the first 250 or so, the "easy" section.

I didn't notice till I looked in the spoiler text that this puzzle is for black? It's oriented for white so I thought I was looking for white's best move here.

VictualSquid posted:

Lichess puzzles have that problem because they are machine generated

are they? This is what I see top left when I open a lichess puzzle:

it appears to be from an actual game.

Here's that game:
https://lichess.org/bCvxe8Ss/white

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 17, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Leperflesh posted:

I didn't notice till I looked in the spoiler text that this puzzle is for black? It's oriented for white so I thought I was looking for white's best move here.

are they? This is what I see top left when I open a lichess puzzle:

it appears to be from an actual game.

Yes, they had an algorithm go over the existing games a few years ago and choose positions that have only 1 correct move. The only human curating is the players adding tags and voting on quality and contributing to ranking.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh, I see. Real games, but nobody's deciding what constitutes a useful vs. useless puzzle other than votes.

I do vote down a lot of puzzles. Sometimes just out of spite.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Bah, I mean to put black to move in there. I've found printed puzzle books always give positions from white's perspective, presumably because they want you looking at it coming toward you as well as going away, since half the benefit of tactics training is seeing the moves coming at you defensively.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i saw the answer to the puzzle almost instantly because i knew it was a puzzle. i would never recognize that in the middle of an actual game

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Because deep in your soul you know "Treat every turn like a totally new position, checks captures attacks, do all the math for every capture." Yadda yadda.

When in practice it's really hard to break yourself from the ~flow~ of your thought process from the previous move. Which is why looking at that position, if your plan up to this point has been attacking the Knight, your brain isn't looking at Bxe4, it's going, "I can't take the Knight yet because the Queen behind the Bishop is a third defender, so I need another attacker on the Knight somehow." So you end up doing stuff that feels smart but is actually pretty stupid (like a6 into b5 which kinda maybe eventually wins you the d pawn?) and not ever considering a better move.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Here's another good Woodpecker puzzle, from the category of "would never see this in a game."

White to move

White has Qxd5 because ... Qxd5 back hangs M2.

I got that right in the book but it took me 3-4 minutes, and in even a 30+30 game, my brain is going, "never start an attack before you finish development" and "don't fall behind on the clock in the opening," so I'm slamming like, Re2 or Rab1 or something after about 10 seconds.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Huxley posted:

Here's another good Woodpecker puzzle, from the category of "would never see this in a game."

White to move

White has Qxd5 because ... Qxd5 back hangs M2.

I got that right in the book but it took me 3-4 minutes, and in even a 30+30 game, my brain is going, "never start an attack before you finish development" and "don't fall behind on the clock in the opening," so I'm slamming like, Re2 or Rab1 or something after about 10 seconds.

Saw that one instantly because that's a super common sub-2000 puzzle theme. Heck, I've done it in a game, I think, once.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

With puzzles like these, as soon as I see there's no check or obvious beneficial exchange, I'm thinking "which of the myriad ways of sacrificing a piece here gets me something" and I'm only thinking of that for the puzzle. When I try to win via sacrifices in games it never works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Idk I feel like any time a major piece is guarding against a backrank mate (which this basically is with one extra step) you should be on the lookout for opportunities to deflect it away. Comes up reasonably often, especially if your opponent is lower rated and therefore less likely to realize this is a weakness.