Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The dems don't need to go after Jr, because Sr is almost certainly going to be in jail unless he's won the election and pardoned himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

Every Democratic president will be impeached when Republicans have the house from now on, mark my words.

The funny thing is without gerrymandering Republicans would almost never have the House. It's the one branch of government that actually represents the national electorate... except for all the gerrymandered red and swing states.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bodyholes posted:

The funny thing is without gerrymandering Republicans would almost never have the House. It's the one branch of government that actually represents the national electorate... except for all the gerrymandered red and swing states.

Yeah, and if not for the electoral college, they'd probably never hold the executive again. Weird how these anti-democratic systems lead to anti-democratic outcomes

e: to be clear I do not think they would literally never hold those offices again, but I do think it would force them back to the center because all of a sudden it's not enough to play to your howling, hateful base and count on the systemic advantage to do the rest. For all we rag on the Dems for trying to triangulate and push to the center, they really do have to try to reach out to a wider variety of potential voters to push enough numbers to overcome those republican advantages. I think they'd be better served by pursuing populist reforms that could shift people who have given up/don't vote, instead of upper middle class racist white people (but I repeat myself), but it's still a more complex equation than we give them credit for at times.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 7, 2023

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

bird food bathtub posted:

Eh, I don't think you're thinking with enough propaganda-brain. What is actually said in a Republican-lead non-public deposition only tenuously, at best, means a drat thing. The outcome will be whatever talking points Fox vomits into the brains of the swine feeding at their trough. In their minds it will be smoking gun proof of BIDEN CRIME FAMILY thus making it absolutely clear how Joe Biden is directing the corrupt and very unfair DoJ to ensure RIGGED AND STOLLEN, violating the very constitution of our country.

Just look how hard they're going after Trump. If they put even half that much effort into going after the EXTREMELY CORRUPT BIDEN'S, they'd have already locked them up. It's just MORE EVIDENCE at how CORRUPT the DOJ is. MAGA!

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

B B posted:

This is most certainly the most important election of our lifetime, just like the last one, the next one, and the one after that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

And another thing, why do people keep telling me it’s the hottest year on record? Every year? I mean come on!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Bodyholes posted:

Honest question, why then did Republicans get 3 million more votes than Democrats for house seats?

Is or that Democrats just don’t run people in no-hope elections while Republicans do? I’ve always wondered but never been able to find an answer.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Rigel posted:

Pretty sure I invoke the humor exception more than anyone :colbert:

Okok the Treaty of Rigel (as featured in my last stellaris game)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Artificial Kid posted:

And another thing, why do people keep telling me it’s the hottest year on record? Every year? I mean come on!

To be fair, 2016 was actually the most important one, most likely, due to the Supreme Court changing hands. Every other one is important, but less so.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bodyholes posted:

They'd have problems with both the house and presidency if we expanded the house numbers to actually reflect the population. But we can't do that because everything needs to pander to land without people on it.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Honest question, why then did Republicans get 3 million more votes than Democrats for house seats?

Is or that Democrats just don’t run people in no-hope elections while Republicans do? I’ve always wondered but never been able to find an answer.

That is precisely what Democrats do, and there are many turbo-gerrymandered red states where they just don't bother on some seats to save money, including mine. Also, turnout in different states will be apples and oranges depending if it's a swing state with a competitive senate race or not.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Bodyholes posted:

That is precisely what Democrats do, and there are many turbo-gerrymandered red states where they just don't bother on some seats to save money, including mine. Also, turnout in different states will be apples and oranges depending if it's a swing state with a competitive senate race or not.

Though it varies a lot year to year. In 2022 there were twice as many uncontested Republicans as there were uncontested Democrats, in 2020 it was about even but the number was smaller since it was a presidential year where turnout is higher anyway, and in 2018 uncontested races heavily favored Democrats to a greater extent than 2022 did Republicans. Possibly since opposition parties always feel a tailwind in midterms and that encourages more potential candidates to take the plunge.

Running for major office is a lot of work and expense: the person doing it has to be willing to put in months of time and labor and will probably be sinking their own money in as well. And it's not like the party can just assign someone do it. When it's a no-hope election, that means it mostly appeals to bored rich people, crazies, and the most relentless self-promoters.

All in all though, the analysis I saw after the fact suggested that with generic opponents on the ballots in all uncontested districts, 2022 just would have had a smaller Republican majority in the popular vote, not none at all.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Does anyone have any news out of Virginia so far?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Does anyone have any news out of Virginia so far?

Isn't the election tomorrow?

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/samshirazim/status/1721138633938178371

https://twitter.com/samshirazim/status/1721138752062448109

https://twitter.com/samshirazim/status/1721138882949927049

I don't really have a good idea who to follow for Virginia drip feeds.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 7, 2023

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

Isn't the election tomorrow?

Oh poo poo my bad I thought it was tonight.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/bluevirginia/status/1721550989377827075

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

This implies to me that Youngkin was mostly successful in convincing tuned-in, motivated R partisans that voting early isn't the devil. That's not useless, as it converts probable votes into certain, locked in votes, but it's not as useful as motivating lower-propensity voters to vote early.

Honestly, nobody has a good read on what to expect. There's definitely a sense that Democrats have a slight edge based on the new legislative maps and their overperformance in special elections this year, but beyond that who knows! I'm glad I'm working the polls tomorrow, it's a good way to keep busy and avoid doom scrolling.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Quorum posted:

Honestly, nobody has a good read on what to expect. There's definitely a sense that Democrats have a slight edge based on the new legislative maps and their overperformance in special elections this year, but beyond that who knows! I'm glad I'm working the polls tomorrow, it's a good way to keep busy and avoid doom scrolling.

That's a healthy attitude. :) I wish I had more time to volunteer.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

I'm kind of vaguely holding a theory in my head that the data we have is super useless at predicting the election outcomes for next year, but gives the democrats more than enough information they could use to positively influence their chances, especially if they shake up their cushy strategist positions with some kind of means testing or otherwise just set every single lucy football fetishist Third Way style dorkwad on fire and kick them out of their offices for good

Will they??!??! yeah who the gently caress holding their breath on this one. But it's there so they should!

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
"Do-less-than-nothing"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Staluigi posted:

I'm kind of vaguely holding a theory in my head that the data we have is super useless at predicting the election outcomes for next year, but gives the democrats more than enough information they could use to positively influence their chances, especially if they shake up their cushy strategist positions with some kind of means testing or otherwise just set every single lucy football fetishist Third Way style dorkwad on fire and kick them out of their offices for good

Will they??!??! yeah who the gently caress holding their breath on this one. But it's there so they should!

Early polling serves one purpose, and that's fundraising.
Anyone who has given any money to a candidate has been flooded with the emails or spam texts;

"We're losing/barely winning in the polls to a Trumpist in Bumfuck Nebraska, can you donate $25 now so we can prevent democracy from being beaten to death with a sock full of broken glass?"

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Staluigi posted:

If they were serious about winning elections they would have done this in 2012-2015.

The DNC wants, nay, needs to go back to the 1990s where they could have unrestricted corporate capitalism and a booming economy rather than accept reality as it is and the path to prosperity is through restricting and dismantling the corporate state and building progressive economics like a space development complex in place of the pentagon system.

But anyone who could make that decision gets paid a lot better individually by trying to go back to the 90s.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Polling is meant to influence the elections. People want to vote for winners

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

If this is true then why did Donald Trump win the 2016 election

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Wanted to highlight a current event in case folks don't typically venture out of their bookmarks. The latest D&D feedback thread is currently open here. Definitely interested in whatever you folks have to say, and Koos has a couple of specific topics he thought might be relevant in the second post in the thread.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the_steve posted:

Early polling serves one purpose, and that's fundraising.
Eh, I'm pretty sure it's also used in crafting strategy and messaging.

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

I think this is something that it's used for as well. I feel like polls have been heavily used and pontificated upon in the media to try to push Biden to drop out of the '24 race in favor of a more eyeball-grabbing candidate; failing that, polling will be used to ensure a close horse race with Trump by slanting coverage whenever he starts to open a lead (the same way they did with Clinton).

"Voters think Biden is too old." "Voters disapprove of Biden's handling of the economy." "Voters trust Republicans on the economy." These are all things that are arguments - not unsupported arguments, and in some cases pretty well-supported arguments, but still arguments - that are being framed as facts, based on polling. As I said when the Trump +4 poll was under discussion, why do polls where Biden leads Trump get no coverage whatsoever, but a poll where Trump leads Biden is basically the first domestic story to resonate since 10/7, and dominates the news for two days?

Happy we are going to have some actual electoral results to look at after today - that will be much more useful information than any poll can be this far out from the election. Voters in Virginia and Ohio HAVE been paying attention, because gubernatorial races are a big deal - so we can see how much an actual campaign is or isn't moving voters away from Republicans (like it seems like it should, given the unpopularity of their policies and fanatical devotion to a man 50% of the country loathes deeply.)

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

BUUNNI posted:

Because Hillary Clinton did the worst possible job at capitalizing on her advantages

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Misunderstood posted:

Eh, I'm pretty sure it's also used in crafting strategy and messaging.

I think this is something that it's used for as well. I feel like polls have been heavily used and pontificated upon in the media to try to push Biden to drop out of the '24 race in favor of a more eyeball-grabbing candidate; failing that, polling will be used to ensure a close horse race with Trump by slanting coverage whenever he starts to open a lead (the same way they did with Clinton).

"Voters think Biden is too old." "Voters disapprove of Biden's handling of the economy." "Voters trust Republicans on the economy." These are all things that are arguments - not unsupported arguments, and in some cases pretty well-supported arguments, but still arguments - that are being framed as facts, based on polling. As I said when the Trump +4 poll was under discussion, why do polls where Biden leads Trump get no coverage whatsoever, but a poll where Trump leads Biden is basically the first domestic story to resonate since 10/7, and dominates the news for two days?

Happy we are going to have some actual electoral results to look at after today - that will be much more useful information than any poll can be this far out from the election. Voters in Virginia and Ohio HAVE been paying attention, because gubernatorial races are a big deal - so we can see how much an actual campaign is or isn't moving voters away from Republicans (like it seems like it should, given the unpopularity of their policies and fanatical devotion to a man 50% of the country loathes deeply.)

Even among polls specifically commissioned by someone hoping for a specific outcome there's a pretty wide spectrum ranging between "designed to create a narrative to help a candidate/position" and "designed to earnestly identify where the candidate/position is failing and succeeding to inform their strategy." Unfortunately, the first end by design tends to not be very good polling and the second tends to be commissioned privately and never released..

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

At the end of the day, I think most quality polls publish their methodology and so it is almost universally going to better to assume the data is accurate and reverse engineer the cross tabs to see exactly what constituency is being measured and then objectively deciding if that is important or not.

I’m sure there are some Twitter analysts doing it but a lot of people like to just point to one or two aspects of it and then craft a message for views.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BUUNNI posted:

More importantly, people want to feel like they belong as part of something.

Fivethirtyeight posted this:

quote:

How useful are early polls?
The answer, frankly, is "not very." For one thing, the two major parties have not officially selected their nominees. While Trump leads handily in both state and national polls of the Republican primary, there is still time for one of his challengers to turn their luck around — or for a major news event to significantly disrupt his campaign. Biden, too, has primary challengers, and there are persistent whispers that he still may decline to seek reelection due to his age. Neither party will officially pick its nominee until next summer; until that point, these polls are little more than hypothetical exercises.

The general election is also still a year away, leaving plenty of time for the polls to change. At this point in the campaign, most past presidential nominating contests have not had clear leaders, and it was anybody's guess what issues would be most important to voters come the general election. That makes early polls of little use to campaigns and prognosticators. Research from political scientists Robert Erikson and Christopher Wlezien shows that, between 1952 and 2008, polls taken 300 days before the general election had no predictive value. In statistical terms, they found that polls have an R-squared value of roughly 0 in January of an election year. That's basically the track record of an (untrained) monkey throwing darts at a dartboard. Plus, as of today, we're currently 365 days out from the election — quite a bit further out than Erikson and Wlezien were even willing to look, given the variability of their data.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Supreme Court is hearing its first gun case after its major ruling in Bruen last year that set the new precedent for how courts should judge the constitutionality of gun control legislation.

As expected, the court seems to be leaning towards a 6-3 split over whether it is constitutional to restrict someone's right to own a handgun if they have a domestic violence restraining order (but, have not been convicted - or in some cases charged - with a crime).

Given the new standards laid down in Bruen last year, this isn't that surprising. If the second amendment needs to be treated on an equal level with the other amendments in the bill of rights, then it is hard to argue that you can deprive someone of a right when they haven't even been officially charged with a crime.

Justice Thomas issued one of his extremely rare questions from the bech with a banger:

quote:

Justice Thomas questioning Rahimi's lawyer: How do we know that the defendant's conduct rendered him "dangerous"?

For reference, this is what the defendant did according to the briefs submitted to the court:

quote:

At the center of Rahimi’s challenge is the Feb. 2020 civil protective order entered against him in a state court in Texas. The order stemmed from a Dec. 2019 incident in a parking lot in which Rahimi (among other things) dragged his then-girlfriend, who is also the mother of his child, back to his car when she tried to leave after an argument. Rahimi pushed her inside the car, where she hit her head on the dashboard. And when Rahimi realized that someone had witnessed the incident, he fired a gun at the bystander.

The civil protective order entered in a Texas state court barred Rahimi from committing further violence. It also prohibited him from going within 200 yards of the woman’s home and workplace, harassing both the woman and her family, and from having a gun. Rahimi was soon arrested for violating the restraining order, and he was charged with using a gun to threaten another woman.

The general principle they are debating (can you deprive someone of rights without a formal conviction of a crime/just a civil protection order?) isn't going to be decided entirely on the specific facts of this one case, but Thomas either used his "once-every-five-years question from the bench" to show that he didn't read the case information or he has a wild definition of what constitutes "dangerous activity" in criminal law.

https://www.scotusblog.com/2023/11/court-to-hear-major-gun-rights-dispute-over-domestic-violence-restrictions/

Here is the full summary and background of the specifics of the case and the legal questions to be determined here. This case will set the floor for where new gun control legislation can go after the Bruen decision.

quote:

A Texas man’s challenge to the constitutionality of a federal law that bars anyone subject to a domestic-violence restraining order from possessing a gun will come before the justices in oral argument on Tuesday. A federal appeals court in Louisiana agreed with Texan Zackey Rahimi, that the law, 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(8), violates the Second Amendment, which protects “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms.” But the Biden administration contends that the decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit “endangers victims of domestic violence, their families, police officers, and the public.”

United States v. Rahimi is the court’s first Second Amendment case since its 2022 decision in New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen, in which the justices struck down New York’s handgun-licensing scheme. In Bruen, the majority explained that courts should uphold gun restrictions only when there is a tradition of such regulation in U.S. history. In Rahimi, the court will have an opportunity to say more about how to apply this test – a question with which the lower courts have struggled.

At the center of Rahimi’s challenge is the Feb. 2020 civil protective order entered against him in a state court in Texas. The order stemmed from a Dec. 2019 incident in a parking lot in which Rahimi (among other things) dragged his then-girlfriend, who is also the mother of his child, back to his car when she tried to leave after an argument. Rahimi pushed her inside the car, where she hit her head on the dashboard. And when Rahimi realized that someone had witnessed the incident, he fired a gun at the bystander.

The civil protective order entered in a Texas state court barred Rahimi from committing further violence. It also prohibited him from going within 200 yards of the woman’s home and workplace, harassing both the woman and her family, and from having a gun. Rahimi was soon arrested for violating the restraining order, and he was charged with using a gun to threaten another woman.

In Dec. 2020 and Jan. 2021, while the civil protective order was still in effect, Rahimi was involved in five shootings, including one incident in which he was involved in a car accident and shot at the driver of the other car and another in which he fired into the air after his friend’s credit card was declined at a fast-food restaurant.

When police identified Rahimi as a suspect in the shootings and obtained a warrant to search his home, they found a rifle and pistol. Because the civil protective order explicitly barred him from having a gun, he was indicted on charges that he had violated Section 922(g)(8).

Rahimi asked the court to dismiss the indictment, arguing that the law is unconstitutional. Before the Supreme Court issued its decision in Bruen, both a federal district court and the 5th Circuit initially upheld the law, rejecting Rahimi’s challenge.

But in March of this year, the 5th Circuit issued a new opinion deeming Section 922(g)(8) unconstitutional and vacating Rahimi’s conviction. It acknowledged that, after Bruen, the government is not required to identify a “historical twin” to Section 922(g)(8). Instead, the court of appeals explained, it is enough for the government to offer a “well-established and representative analogue.” But the government had failed to do so in Rahimi’s case, the court of appeals concluded.

The Biden administration quickly came to the Supreme Court, asking the justices to weigh in – which they agreed to do on June 30.

The government tells the justices that the 5th Circuit’s decision “misreads the history of the Second Amendment.” Laws from before, at, and after the founding of the United States all established that when the Second Amendment was enacted, the Biden administration contends, Congress had the power to disarm individuals “who are not law-abiding, responsible citizens.”

That is precisely what Section 922(g)(8) does, the Biden administration argues. “Individuals subject to domestic-violence protective orders pose an obvious danger to their intimate partners because guns often cause domestic violence to escalate to homicide and because abusers often use guns to threaten and injure their victims.” Moreover, the Biden administration adds, the high bar before a protective order can trigger Section 922(g)(8) means that the ban only applies to “a particularly dangerous and irresponsible subset of persons subject to protective orders” – for example, the protective order must either find that the person subject to the order “represents a credible threat” to someone else’s “physical safety,” or it must specifically prohibit the use of “physical force.”

The 5th Circuit’s application of Bruen’s historical test was far too narrow, the Biden administration insists. It does not need to identify a historical twin to laws like Section 922(g)(8), the Biden administration asserts – only an analogue. And it has done so, identifying “many historical laws that impose the same type of burden as Section 922(g)(8) (disqualifying someone from possessing arms) for the same type of reason (the person is not responsible enough to be trusted with arms).”

Requiring a more specific match would be especially inappropriate in a case like this one, the Biden administration continues, because of the changes in how both law and society have addressed domestic violence. For example, the Biden administration notes, “past generations could not have disarmed persons subject to protective orders because such orders did not exist.”

Members of Congress, led by Sen. Richard Blumenthal, a Democrat from Connecticut, filed a “friend of the court” brief supporting the Biden administration. They tell the justices that if the 5th Circuit’s decision is allowed to stand, the lower court’s approach “would unduly shackle Congress to the past, rendering it unable to develop innovative solutions for the benefit of the public.” And they warn that both the Supreme Court and the lower courts will be flooded with new challenges to “all sorts of widely accepted gun laws that this Court had suggested are well within the bounds of the Second Amendment.” The Supreme Court, the members of Congress caution, “must stem the tide if it does not want courts to relitigate Bruen for years to come.”

Rahimi pushes back against the Biden administration’s contention that it does not need to provide a closer historical analogue to Section 922(g)(8) because there was no such thing as a domestic-violence restraining order in early U.S. history. Early American history “recognized the scourge of domestic violence,” Rahimi asserts, “and utilized a variety of legal and extra-legal mechanisms to punish, prevent, and deter it” – for example, by prosecuting abusers for assault, requiring them to put up a bond to guarantee good behavior, or allowing a victim of abuse to obtain a divorce or separation. This use of “materially different means” to address the same problem targeted by Section 922(g)(8), Rahimi concludes, “tends to prove” that the statute is unconstitutional.

Rahimi resists the government’s contention that Section 922(g)(8) only bans the possession of guns by individuals who are truly dangerous. The statute’s ban, he observes, “applies to any order prohibiting abuse” as long as both the person seeking the protective order and the subject of the order are or were “intimate partners” and there was an opportunity for a hearing. Therefore, he says, it applies to protective orders in which there was no finding that the subject of the order had actually made threats or been violent.

Two “friend of the court” briefs filed by public defenders in support of Rahimi echo his argument about the lack of safeguards to ensure that Section 922(g)(8) only applies to people who are dangerous. One of those briefs, filed by public defenders from the Bronx and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, tells the justices “unequivocally” that the government’s assurances are “false.” “The process for issuing an order of protection is superficial and swift,” the public defenders explain – so much so that “[c]ourts regularly issue full stay-away orders within seconds of appearances being entered on the record.”

Rahimi agrees with the Biden administration that it does not need to provide a “historical twin” to Section 922(g)(8) to prevail. But the problem, Rahimi contends, is that the Biden administration also “cannot point to a close relative, a distant cousin, or anything bearing even a passing resemblance” to Section 922(g)(8). Indeed, Rahimi tells the justices, the government’s failure to identify any early American laws that prohibited the possession of all guns suggests that U.S. law “recognized a zone of immunity surrounding the privately owned guns of citizens.”

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Is there polling for the Virginia state House and Senate? Would be interesting to compare the results to the polls.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

small butter posted:

Is there polling for the Virginia state House and Senate? Would be interesting to compare the results to the polls.

Doesn't look like anyone has done public polling of all the different 140 legislative districts in Virginia. Just a few statewide polls that don't really tell you much about how the actual seats will be distributed.

Virginians still like Tim Kaine a lot, but also still like Glenn Youngkin. They are significantly pro-choice, but divided on who should run the state legislature.

So... not really much you can divine from that about what the next legislature will actually look like after tonight.

:shrug:

https://apnews.com/article/virginia-election-state-legislature-what-to-watch-f5901d85cec6081d6c0409321a908d63
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/senate/2024/virginia/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1721971763557404841

Can someone explain to me what specific Biden policies border hawks claim is causing "the border crisis"? I don't mean cynically or sarcastically, I just don't know 1) what they mean by border crisis, 2) what changed to cause a border crisis, and 3)what they want to do to "fix it". Normally I'd just assume they were lying about it but Democrats are also pretty universal on acknowledging a border crisis, or at least "the situation on the border is bad". Are the parties agreeing that the same things are bad or bad for different reasons?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Any doomscrolling fuel for Election Day yet?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Eric Cantonese posted:

Look at this loser doom scrolling about the current election. We're on to 2026, square.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

zoux posted:

Can someone explain to me what specific Biden policies border hawks claim is causing "the border crisis"? I don't mean cynically or sarcastically, I just don't know 1) what they mean by border crisis, 2) what changed to cause a border crisis, and 3)what they want to do to "fix it". Normally I'd just assume they were lying about it but Democrats are also pretty universal on acknowledging a border crisis, or at least "the situation on the border is bad". Are the parties agreeing that the same things are bad or bad for different reasons?

1) they mean the constant growth of undocumented crossings at the southern border. You’re seeing year-over-year increases on per-month crossings, which are in the hundreds of thousands some months.

2) this is a ton of different factors, but between the economic pain visited on the global south from neoliberal global economic forces, political unrest and violence, and climate change. You could argue that the political unrest and climate change are a subset of the whole neoliberal global economy. But these factors all combine to mean people want to leave their home countries, and the US is a place that’s seen as more safe, stable and able to offer a better standard of living. That’s the benefit of sitting at the top of that neoliberal economic order.

3) This is the tricky part. Ideally, Dems would want to provide more routes to immigrants to come in, and not just asylum seekers (imo) because we have had a huge impact on the conditions that drive the desire to migrate here. We empower a ton of the economic policy that creates the conditions we see, sometimes at gunpoint. The problem is that red state governors do poo poo like fill buses with immigrants and send them to blue states, both as a practical way to save money, and as a political move to embarrass Dems. This is working, because you have blue state mayors and other government officials complaining they don’t have the budget or capacity to serve these migrants.

Ultimately, to avoid a genocidal situation at the southern border, something has to change. We can expect to see large parts of the global south become inhospitable to human life if the route we’re on continues, and mitigation efforts are outpaced by warming and sea level rise. So do you just militarize the southern border and prepare to shoot anyone crossing? Because that’s the kind of decision we’re heading for sooner or later. Neither party wants to own that, but through gridlock, cowardice and inaction, they both will some day.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

zoux posted:

the only difference i know of is that in the past a larger portion of immigrants were purely economic, and were more likely to have family in the us that would act as a support structure, typically providing temporary or permanent shelter and access to work. now a larger portion are refugees seeking asylum because of instability in their country of origin. these refugees are less likely to have that familial support structure, and thus need more temporary assistance when they first arrive, which is putting increased stress on local governments compared to previous immigration patterns

of course, whether this rises to the level of a crisis is debatable, and the solutions to fix the so called crisis probably wouldn't be any different from what republicans proposed under previous immigration patterns because that's not what they actually care about

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm not sure of anywhere but i'll get you started with a personal anecdote. My polling place outside of Richmond was empty but there were a lot of people giving out information for Democrats but only one lady giving out stuff for Republicans. Looks like early voting was down this year from 2021.

https://www.pilotonline.com/2023/11/06/virginia-elections-by-the-numbers-voter-turnout-appears-down-campaign-spending-brings-in-millions/

I'm interested in the Richmond centric issue about the casino proposal, I'm not in a district that votes on it though. It's frustrating because the proposal was rejected a year or two ago already, but they came back with basically the same proposal and a huge media push.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2023-11-07/virginias-capital-city-voting-again-on-whether-to-allow-a-casino

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

The bill they recently passed in the House (and Senate Republicans are proposing a modified version of) is basically:

1) Build a border wall.

2) A bunch of changes to asylum law.

- Requires DHS to take DNA samples of people applying for asylum so they can check if people who were rejected are trying again under a fake identity.

- Make people ineligible for asylum if they claim it after getting caught on the border. You will be required to claim asylum at a port of entry.

- Make people ineligible for asylum if they passed through a safe country and declined to seek asylum there to instead continue to the U.S. to seek asylum.

- Change the standard for "fear of persecution" to "more likely than not" from "credible possibility" to grant asylum for people who claim to fear persecution if they are sent back.

- People in the U.S. who go through the asylum process and are rejected have to prove a credible specific reason they will be persecuted to appeal instead of just making the claim.

- Anyone convicted of a serious felony is illegible for asylum.

3) Removing the executive branch's discretion for parole and waivers.

- Ban DHS from issuing broad "class-based" exemptions to give people parole to stay in the U.S. and require them to follow the law as written with exceptions only granted for instances spelled out in law.

- Codifies two unofficial parole programs into permanent programs that automatically qualify for parole.

One for children of active duty American troops and another for people fleeing Cuba who are related to American citizens.

- Bans DHS from issuing parole that lasts longer than one year.

- Caps the number of parole slots DHS can issue.

4) Misc.

- Require that DHS officially keep families detained together and ban child separation (lol).

- Require DHS to send asylum seekers to a country that borders their home country if they can't find a safe third country to host them while they wait or they don't want to be detained by DHS. No letting them in to the U.S. while they wait if they don't qualify for a specific program. They can choose to be detained while they wait, choose a safe third country, or choose to be sent to a contiguous country to their country of origin while they wait.

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/senate_republican_working_group_one_pager.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

zoux posted:

They want some small concessions on a few of the immigration items they typically complain about.

“wapo” posted:

Senate Republicans have released a sweeping set of U.S. border security proposals as a condition for sending more aid to Ukraine, laying out a draft plan to resume construction on parts of the U.S.-Mexico border wall, curtail humanitarian parole for people who cross into the United States and make it more difficult for migrants to qualify for asylum.

Adding more enforcement for the U.S. border “is the best way to get nine Republican senators on board,” McConnell said, referring to the number of GOP senators needed to overcome a filibuster and pass legislation with 60 votes, assuming all Democrats are supportive. McConnell, who has strongly pushed for the Ukraine aid, said he thinks “every single Republican in the Senate and the House” believes that the influx of migrants is a major problem.

My read is they want the Ukraine funding but feel like they have to ask for something. The immigration issue funding is also something they’re likely to get because going into an election year the Biden administration will be nervous/sensitive about the issue. It all wreaks of kayfabe. Both sides are ok with the funding, but republicans need to look like they forced it and Dems need to look like they were forced.

The real issue is the house who will stymie for different reasons.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 7, 2023