Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

PosSibley posted:

When I saw your post about the taxi driver coming out hot, I had one thought: Why didn't you actually record?

Buggy Nokia. Couldn't get the video started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Recently branched out from the Term Quick Haul Facebook group to a local general cargo bike group. People are enterprisingly adapting the Tern cargo accessories to other bikes. Pretty smart absent any kind of standards or agreed upon dimensions.

I love the DIY spirit. The Tern group’s admins are obviously very company centric about people’s mood ideas.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Any suggestions for a clipless ready shoe in very wide for winter socks? I'm in Colorado, so I go between snow and sunny 60° all winter. So being able to manage with sock layers helps a ton from am to pm.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Ride back is a li'l uphill. Fully regretting the studs right now, but it started snowing pretty heavily after I got home so I guess the studs are getting their first real test in the morn!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

deong posted:

Any suggestions for a clipless ready shoe in very wide for winter socks? I'm in Colorado, so I go between snow and sunny 60° all winter. So being able to manage with sock layers helps a ton from am to pm.

I recommend managing those temperature swings with overshoes instead of thicker socks.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

bicievino posted:

I recommend managing those temperature swings with overshoes instead of thicker socks.

i hate how fast those get destroyed. I use some showerpass gortex socks.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

deong posted:

i hate how fast those get destroyed. I use some showerpass gortex socks.

I have overshoes that I use constantly in the winter that are going on 15 years of use. They're not all disposable poo poo like velotoze.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

bicievino posted:

I have overshoes that I use constantly in the winter that are going on 15 years of use. They're not all disposable poo poo like velotoze.

Which brand and model? And do they make them in size 15 US / 50 EU?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

wooger posted:

Which brand and model? And do they make them in size 15 US / 50 EU?

They were made by my folks when they ran a custom bike clothing company, so I can't give ya a current recco for that exact model.

Ive got a pair of heavier neoprene ones from dhb that have about 7 years of wear on them, good for when it gets down to freezing and below.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
something like this

https://www.pearlizumi.com/collections/mens-shoe-covers/products/amfib-lite-shoe-covers-14382201?variant=41958653657259

in xxl will probably go over a 50 as long as it's a road/xc style shoe. shops generally carry them so you can go and try some.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Oh I have some overshoes and can get them easily enough from brands like Endura , I was just curious as to what lasted for 15+ years, as mine all rip inside 2 seasons.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a fender recommendation for a Midnight Special with larger tires? Right now I've got some kind of Planet Bike fenders that I had to cut the front to get enough clearance, but the rivets are starting to corrode out and generally they've seen better days. They just baaarely clear my winter tires (Kahva 650b 2.1"), and I almost think it'd be best if I either totally cut the front fender at the fork as that's where the clearance is tightest.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PDW Beast in 65mm

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

powderific posted:

the rivets are starting to corrode out and generally they've seen better days.

It kinda bugs me that that is a weak point of fenders. I've had two pairs hold up great elsewhere but have the rivets corrode to nothing and pop loose.

I guess thanks for keeping that off the rest of the bike.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ah these look great, thank you. Really like that the stays loop around so it's not a bunch of sharp metal rods.

And yeah, the fenders look fine other than the rivets, and I could probably pop a new rivet in there or do some other kind of fix, but the units above I'm into enough that I'll be happy making the switch.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

kimbo305 posted:

It kinda bugs me that that is a weak point of fenders. I've had two pairs hold up great elsewhere but have the rivets corrode to nothing and pop loose.

I guess thanks for keeping that off the rest of the bike.

time to buy a riveter? (Edit: or just pop em out and replace with nuts/bolts?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

powderific posted:

Ah these look great, thank you. Really like that the stays loop around so it's not a bunch of sharp metal rods.

And yeah, the fenders look fine other than the rivets, and I could probably pop a new rivet in there or do some other kind of fix, but the units above I'm into enough that I'll be happy making the switch.

You’ll love them. I’ve got the 55mms and they’ve been great for years.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

time to buy a riveter? (Edit: or just pop em out and replace with nuts/bolts?

Yeah, a low profile bolt would probably be fine. The brackets holding the rivets would be next, or maybe the bolts holding the struts.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I did some bike wrenching yesterday. Studs went on (in the nick of time first snow last night), found and replaced a broken spoke, replaced a set of brake pads with off-brand cheapo pads from amazon - if they last more than 1/4 as long as name-brand pads I figure I'll come out ahead. Added some more reflective tape in appropriate colors too because why not. I also tried a new chain lube, some kind of milky water-born wax emulsion. My hopes are low, but you never know, maybe it stands up to brine better than sticky oil. More important for my chain maintenance regime is probably this ugly hack mod that I should have done years ago but never did since the rubber material I was hoping would fall into my lap never materialized:

It's a piece of old election sign of some type of coroplast material and two zipties. So far it's working great at keeping shoes and chain cleaner. With the MTB geometry it's really close to my toes but hopefully flimsy enough to give way and enable turning should the two collide.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you're afraid of getting caught in the coroplast flap, truck tarpaulin with a heavy duty zip-tied laminated vertically makes an awesome cheap flap. Just make sure to use glue that sets flexible (shoe-goo type).

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Black duct tape

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
A thick pvc bottle (e.g. bleach) in a colour of your choice, cut into the right shape.

An rear end saver mudguard is also the perfect material.

Attach by drilling two holes 2cm apart through both the flap and the mudguard, then looping a small cable tie / ziptie through them both and pulling tight.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

Black duct tape
This is usually too floppy, but if you can laminate a ziptie inside it'll probably work great, and easier to find that tarpaulin.

wooger posted:

A thick pvc bottle (e.g. bleach) in a colour of your choice, cut into the right shape.

An rear end saver mudguard is also the perfect material.
IME those are way too rigid when going over curbs etc.

wooger posted:

Attach by drilling two holes 2cm apart through both the flap and the mudguard, then looping a small cable tie / ziptie through them both and pulling tight.
I've tried this and IME you need both a pair of holes at the bottom for fastening, and another in the midde high on the fender to keep it actually aligned.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

evil_bunnY posted:

I've tried this and IME you need both a pair of holes at the bottom for fastening, and another in the midde high on the fender to keep it actually aligned.

Can’t misalign with 2 holes in a row at the bottom of the fender, there’s no rotation.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wooger posted:

Can’t misalign with 2 holes in a row at the bottom of the fender, there’s no rotation.
When I've done this there was always a bunch of play in the flap. Adding another fixed it for me :)

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

evil_bunnY posted:

When I've done this there was always a bunch of play in the flap. Adding another fixed it for me :)

Yeah I looped a zip tie low down and another one higher up on the fender since it seemed like the obvious thing to do. This was very much a rush job afterthought sort of thing after was done with everything else, I didn't even remove the front wheel first since I had already taken the bike off the stand and put that away. Luckily I didn't jam my drill bit through the tire or anything.
No interference with the feet on my way to work, but I think I could shorten the fender stays by a bit and gain some clearance that way should it prove necessary. Anyways, I'll look for a more suitable material to materialize but I think the coroplast might just work at least for now.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

This is usually too floppy, but if you can laminate a ziptie inside it'll probably work great, and easier to find that tarpaulin.

Here in Stockholm, there's really too many curbs to go over, to have anything that isn't super floppy -- but is still long enough. It's nice to just cut it all off when it gets nasty.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

Here in Stockholm, there's really too many curbs to go over, to have anything that isn't super floppy -- but is still long enough. It's nice to just cut it all off when it gets nasty.
Yeah here's not so bad, but even still a single tie will make sure it stays put when riding but it can get out of the way of obstacles/feet.

I love how everyone's found the flap material/construction/fastening that works for them :)

Now I've got a Fahrer flap like a loving bougie.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
I went to the place nearby that reupholsters furniture and asked for some leather scraps. Floppy and lasts ages. Just put two bolts in the bottom of the fender.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

I use Gorilla Tape in 3 layers. 2 facing each other to sandwich the fender and to occlude the adhesive, and then a 3rd layer to form a spine on the rear to stiffen the flap. But yeah, not sure how many layers of the regular stuff to get the same amount of stiffening

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I picked up a pair of 45nrth wolvhammer boots for winter commuting because it gets well below freezing for long stretches here and typically hits -40 every year off and on.

Just trying them on, without having to push much at all to get them on my foot, the liner ripped:

I'm in the process of returning them as defective, but there's nothing about the way they're made that would prevent the exact same thing from happening with any pair.

If you're thinking about picking up a pair, I'd say reconsider. It's a shame, because otherwise they're really comfortable and do everything I want but that build quality is unacceptable for a $350 boot.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I ride with gnarly pedals and my winter (so lined) hiking boots in the winter. Haven't found the need for anything more sophisticated.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SimonSays posted:

I went to the place nearby that reupholsters furniture and asked for some leather scraps. Floppy and lasts ages. Just put two bolts in the bottom of the fender.
That's genius TBH

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I like the lake winter commuting boots. Not cheap, more warm than waterproof, but have lasted me well.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I used to ride in Sorel-style boots when it was cold but I never liked them. Not nice to walk in, not that warm and had condensation issues. Since last week I'm rocking theese (made by Polecat):

Some kind of fluffy rubber with more synthetic fluff glued on the inside. Seemingly plenty warm no wool socks necessary (-8c this morning so not extreme), totally waterproof, cheap (about $80) and pretty comfy to wear and walk in. No lacing, I can just step into them. The main drawback I've noticed so far is that they're ginormous, my rain paints don't fit over them so not good for heavy rain. Also when combined with the thermal bibs alone I look absolutely mental wearing them I guess.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

I used to ride in Sorel-style boots when it was cold but I never liked them. Not nice to walk in, not that warm and had condensation issues. Since last week I'm rocking theese (made by Polecat):

Hahahaha. On brand, I'd say.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Spots of black ice this morning, very exciting. It's hard for me to be cautious enough when grip is great for miles on end until it suddenly isn't. You can sort of tell sometimes by how the asphalt glimmers if it's wet or icy but it's subtle unless the sun is up (it generally isn't when I ride this time of year).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m sure that autonomous cars will figure it out any day now though. They just need one more sensor for humidity. :shobon:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

Spots of black ice this morning, very exciting. It's hard for me to be cautious enough when grip is great for miles on end until it suddenly isn't. You can sort of tell sometimes by how the asphalt glimmers if it's wet or icy but it's subtle unless the sun is up (it generally isn't when I ride this time of year).
The city seems to have given up on the idea of clearing ice/slush off the bike paths or something, it's so much worse than before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

evil_bunnY posted:

The city seems to have given up on the idea of clearing ice/slush off the bike paths or something, it's so much worse than before.

Indeed, Stockholm municipality is clearly slacking. The kranskommun I also ride through has been on point so far though, the difference is huge. It's almost comical, the stockholm half of a border bridge I cross is snowy and the other half is swept and salted.