Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Is this a cool time to remind that 6 sigma is a 1 in million chance with the probability centred?

6 standard deviations to one tail is just under 2 in a billion chance of random in very poor stats language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Is this a cool time to remind that 6 sigma is a 1 in million chance with the probability centred?

6 standard deviations to one tail is just under 2 in a billion chance of random in very poor stats language.

while mostly true in a sense, the problem is applying statistics (and statistical analysis) to temporal data, on a very limited data set with no actual model behind it, is just profoundly wrong. you can't just use stdev() and call it good. you can't just summon up a normal distribution standard deviation.

actually, it's less than wrong: it's meaningless.

data science is hella dumb

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
the dataset simply isn't large enough. No one here would say that we haven't done a really good job at skewing the data, but on a long enough timeline surely the planet has heated and cooled various times, and our efforts will amount to nothing other than a notable blip in the history of mass extinctions. The rate at which we've accomplished our goals is impressive but if you've purposely selected data from a specific time period when we already know things are changing then you don't really have the true mean and calculating any standard deviation from that mean is not about probability any more but volatility. And it's getting volatile much faster than expected, but it's really not that bad yet.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

yeah this isn’t a model it’s just life. there’s no chance at anything, besides getting hotter.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Hence the very poor stats comment.

Point wasn't that stats are God, they're a reference tool at best.

Point was that for all the 6 sigma lol japes this is even worse.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

swamp thong posted:

And it's getting volatile much faster than expected, but it's really not that bad yet.
that's right

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

sigma might be a relevant reference to the dispersion of values

the whole reason we use bell curves is because of their prevalence in nature

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell-shaped_function

but, as the most complex systems, maybe climate and weather don’t adhere

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Xaris posted:

while mostly true in a sense, the problem is applying statistics (and statistical analysis) to temporal data, on a very limited data set with no actual model behind it, is just profoundly wrong. you can't just use stdev() and call it good. you can't just summon up a normal distribution standard deviation.

actually, it's less than wrong: it's meaningless.

data science is hella dumb

Also lol the fuckin graph had the stdev on it man ffs

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Also lol the fuckin graph had the stdev on it man ffs
I wasn't balking at you explaining a recurrence time that's fine, i was more balking at the original tweet even mentioning 6 stdevs in the first place.

My point was more denoting a standard deviation at all isn't even useful as a reference. it's not useful for anything. the elliot guy's heart is in the right spot but never trust a computer scientist to do data. everytime i see him state some stats i want to die because it's always profoundly wrong

he should just stick to posting pretty matlab graphs without CS-ing it up

now he actually wanted to describe volitatility and rates of change, sure. imo the data speaks for itself without applying stdev() functions to it. anyways I'm just being needlessly pedantic

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:25 on Nov 7, 2023

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Oh yeah, totally agree. Who doesn't love numbering to surety when the application is plain wrong though?

Also soz, just had my old balding head spray painted so a bit tender. That was a new one

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

the posts in this thread are getting worse faster than expected

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

smoobles posted:

sigma balls LMAooo gottem

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

ben shapino posted:

the posts in this thread are getting worse faster than expected

Actually, previous forecasts continue to be remarkably accurate ...

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
un-f:flaccid:cking believable!

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

(Canadian) Liberal government set to miss 2030 emissions targets, says environment commissioner audit

quote:

'We found that the measures most critical for reducing emissions had not been identified or prioritized'

The federal government is set to miss its 2030 target to cut carbon emissions by at least 40 per cent below 2005 levels by 2030, according to the latest audit from the commissioner of the environment's office.

The commissioner's fall reports looked at five key areas: the government's fleet of zero-emissions vehicles, construction of charging stations, monitoring the catch of marine fisheries, the status of environmental petitions presented to Parliament and the government's progress on reducing emissions.

The report painted a grim picture of emission reductions in Canada over the last 20 years, saying that the only significant drops in emissions came during the 2008 financial crisis and the COVID-19 pandemic, which had little to do with emissions reduction policy.

I'm shocked... shocked! Well, not that shocked.

worst ever at ping-pong
Jun 11, 2010

it’s a 0-sigma event because this is the new normal

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Sssssssnap.

Was looking for a job after graduating in 2005 and around March 2007, I stumbled across The Oil Drum after seeing A Crude Awakening online for some reason, then read Lynas’ first Six Degrees. Got my copy of the 30 year update to The Limits of Growth too. That made getting an actual job that summer seem pretty funny.

Then the GFC made everything REALLY funny.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I’m definitely being dense but the point is “this is not something you’d expect to see if temperatures kept on going at the nice ones we were comfortable with,” isn’t it? The assumptions behind the figure must be wrong, but a lot of those assumptions are ones the world keeps making, which is why it would matter?

I guess it’s whether it’s a stupid thing to do that still implies disaster, or a stupid thing to do where maybe everything is fine— this seems like a very critical distinction, but I am too stupid to know how to actually make it

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

i'm sure it'll go back down to 5 sigma over winter, its fine

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Smoobles fixed it. It’s fine.

Get ready for Black Friday, yeah?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Smoobles fixed it. It’s fine.

Get ready for Black Friday, yeah?

I fixed it briefly, but there was too much sigma, I couldn't wrangle the biosphere im so sorry

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

good mourning biosphere

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

Oglethorpe posted:

i'm sure it'll go back down to 5 sigma over winter, its fine

Invest in copium ltd. stocks, theyre going to release some new products next summer to help ppl live with 12 sigma deviations. 69 sigma by 2027

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It's so weird to think that as far as we can tell, the tipping point is actually here. It felt so theoretical, for so long.

At this point it's only a matter of time until the first country does their first geoengineering campaign.

For anyone not familiar with geoengineering, the problem with it is that there is only so much energy and available moisture in the atmosphere. As a result, geoengineering steals precipitable moisture at the expense of downstream recipients.

Because of that, geoengineering is an act of war. A fight over resources just as real as the push and pull over oil, except even moreso because it's loving water.

To me, that future is just as horrifying as the fact that we're actually reaching apparent tipping points that, for the record, were not supposed to happen this soon, broadly speaking.

I don't even know what to say. poo poo is wild.

One nice thing for Americans is that Canada and the USA can agree on geoengineering patterns and everyone would be pretty taken care of. The EU would probably do similarly (I'm thinking of countries on the jet stream in particular here). I don't know enough about subtropical and tropical geoengineering to know how that would be handled and who would have advantages.

East Asia could theoretically capture moisture bound for the North America, I guess, sometimes, as the jet is so strongly fed there and it's upstream of NA.

Interesting stuff, I don't know enough about the circulations and methods to understand exactly who would benefit on the top level.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

its a shame the biosphere died of ligma

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
There's no special method to it you just dump it all in criss crossing patterns on a clear day

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Taima posted:

It's so weird to think that as far as we can tell, the tipping point is actually here. It felt so theoretical, for so long.

At this point it's only a matter of time until the first country does their first geoengineering campaign.

For anyone not familiar with geoengineering, the problem with it is that there is only so much energy and available moisture in the atmosphere. As a result, geoengineering steals precipitable moisture at the expense of downstream recipients.

Because of that, geoengineering is an act of war. A fight over resources just as real as the push and pull over oil, except even moreso because it's loving water.

To me, that future is just as horrifying as the fact that we're actually reaching apparent tipping points that, for the record, were not supposed to happen this soon, broadly speaking.

I don't even know what to say. poo poo is wild.

One nice thing for Americans is that Canada and the USA can agree on geoengineering patterns and everyone would be pretty taken care of. The EU would probably do similarly (I'm thinking of countries on the jet stream in particular here). I don't know enough about subtropical and tropical geoengineering to know how that would be handled and who would have advantages.

East Asia could theoretically capture moisture bound for the North America, I guess, sometimes, as the jet is so strongly fed there and it's upstream of NA.

Interesting stuff, I don't know enough about the circulations and methods to understand exactly who would benefit on the top level.

Governments might have a hard time agreeing on/getting any geoengineering strategy written down on public paper, but there's nothing to say a fleet of private stratotankers can't just be flying around aimlessly, right? The dumping of aerosols is plausibly deniable, they just need approval to fly.

You really only started to hear about chemtrails in 1998 and then by 2012 it seemed like it had dropped off completely. Could it have been a private geoengineering effort as described above by the big fossil fuel companies to obscure the climactic damage being done at a time when there was more room to act, but the science was less understood?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

It's gonna be a conservative government by that point anyhow. But I guess that's the point of setting such long-range targets -- you're never gonna be held responsible for them.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Dokapon Findom posted:

Governments might have a hard time agreeing on/getting any geoengineering strategy written down on public paper, but there's nothing to say a fleet of private stratotankers can't just be flying around aimlessly, right? The dumping of aerosols is plausibly deniable, they just need approval to fly.

You really only started to hear about chemtrails in 1998 and then by 2012 it seemed like it had dropped off completely. Could it have been a private geoengineering effort as described above by the big fossil fuel companies to obscure the climactic damage being done at a time when there was more room to act, but the science was less understood?

no, for all the same reasons chemtrails are stupid on top of why would they spend money to hide it when they can just be like “nah, not us”

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

ELON will save the day with whole starfleets(:elon::elon::elon:) of satellites distributing aerosols into the upper atmosphere

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I don't know much about chemtrails so I'm not saying they don't exist, but they don't have much use here because the minute you mention something like that, everyone stops listening,

Nobody wants to believe how bad climate change has become will happily ignore it if given a chance, so we have to keep it on the straight and narrow as much as possible.

It's important that people understand what geoengineering is because I don't think a lot of people understand that there's only so much rain and if you steal some, it's out of the mouth of the next nation. The implications are horrifying.

It's like if the earth is throwing everyone gatorades and you can just stand in front of someone and catch all their gatorades. We're so hosed.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Dokapon Findom posted:

You think that the fossil fuel companies conspired to secretly mitigate climate change on their own dime with no credit or profit from it?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

contrails were also blamed for the failure of the Ivanpah Concentrating Solar Power station outside of Primm, NV.

so they had to burn more natural gas instead lol

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Blockade posted:

its a shame the biosphere died of ligma

ligma bdelloids

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
"chem trails aren't real" I furiously declare as I jack up the throttle on my plane, spewing VOCs and lead-laden exhaust behind me.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dokapon Findom posted:

dude it's literally water vapor condensation (with nucleation seeded by pollutants in jet exhaust i.e. unburnt fuel/trace sulfur/lead), it's a very well understood thermofluids phenomena

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

bawfuls posted:

dude it's literally governmen't area 51 5g aliens demoncraps mind control kentrails

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I was a chemtrail pilot from 1996-1998. I can confirm they control your mind, but only if you breath air outside.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Salt Fish posted:

I was a chemtrail pilot from 1996-1998. I can confirm they control your mind, but only if you breath air outside.

And it works, because I absolutely believe their made up lies about global warming being real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

contrails were also blamed for the failure of the Ivanpah Concentrating Solar Power station outside of Primm, NV.

so they had to burn more natural gas instead lol

I killed Fantastic and got it running, all good.