Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Intruder posted:

He's using the Rangers as an example of a team not spending money?

lol. lmao, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Cardinals had one bad year in like 2 decades.

hey they had two bad years okay :v:

but yeah other than the Yankees there's been basically no team as consistently competitive/good this century

obviously you have teams like the Red Sox with 4 WS wins this century but they also had 6 seasons of under .500, and they actually made the playoffs less than half the time

the Cards only were under .500 twice and made the playoffs 2/3 of the time

Intruder posted:

"The #4 and #5 biggest payrolls didn't spend money" :pwn:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Guards claim Christian Bethancourt from the Rays.

Not inspiring, imo.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MaxTGoodman/status/1721942361905807732

Hal's right everyone: the Yankees must not increase payroll.

The Yankees, realizing they are being overtaken as the #1 baseball heel, subtly communicate their new plan to steal signs and create an elaborate trash based signalling system.

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

If the Yankees aren't going to dip into their Scrooge McDuck vault and try to buy a championship with a roster full of 35-year olds, then who the hell even are they anymore? Are they even worthy of my continued contempt?

It's much harder to hate a team full of young upstarts getting their first taste of their major league dreams, but lord, I'll give it my best shot.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Monathin posted:

Not inspiring, imo.

Former teammate of Vogt's.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Just remember that all their fans are either from New York or are loathesome bandwagon jumpers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This presser is a balm unto me
https://twitter.com/ChrisKirschner/status/1721939763438207345

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

They're gonna try to copy the plucky, lovable, totally not a fluke Arizona Diamondbacks. :getin:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm a massive fan of the Yankees desire to implode spectacularly.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Prof. Spaceman posted:

If the Yankees aren't going to dip into their Scrooge McDuck vault and try to buy a championship with a roster full of 35-year olds, then who the hell even are they anymore? Are they even worthy of my continued contempt?

It's much harder to hate a team full of young upstarts getting their first taste of their major league dreams, but lord, I'll give it my best shot.
When the Yankees go 50 years without a championship, I will consider lowering their position on the contemptible teams list. Hal is hard at work on it but they've still got a long way to go.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kirios posted:

I'm a massive fan of the Yankees desire to implode spectacularly.
It’s probably my favorite baseball thing when my team is bad

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MLBHRVideos/status/1721606482293076276

It's helpfult o remember that even when dudes "suck" they are still in the top .000001 percent of human beings that could hit a baseball

https://twitter.com/MLBHRVideos/status/1721620380132003994
D'Arnaud? That dude sucks. *hits a ball 470 ft*

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
if the Yankees and Cardinals want to be dogshit for the next decade I say we encourage them

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Monathin posted:

Not inspiring, imo.
Honestly forget, does he pitch now or what?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Shinjobi posted:

if the Yankees and Cardinals want to be dogshit for the next decade I say we encourage them

yeah
my team's not going to get any better so if all the other teams want to get worse, it's great news

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Honestly forget, does he pitch now or what?

It looks like he's going onto the roster as probably the second-string Catcher behind Bo Naylor, who was good this season but only played like half the time so I'm not holding my breath yet that he's figured it out. If Bo turns into a pumpkin this season then the Guards' catcher situation is uhhhhh dire.

live with fruit posted:

Former teammate of Vogt's.

lmao

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Congrats to the new Guards manager, Jeff Saturday.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

I see they somehow learned less than nothing

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/MikeGianella/status/1721785403823341686

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nodoze posted:

I see they somehow learned less than nothing

The only bunting I want to see at a major league baseball game

Not always

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

im not betrayed! im not betrayed!!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Given the examples, it seems like he's specifically talking about a 300m number? I wonder what the question was.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Conversely I want to see more bunting and think bunting is cool but I root for the team who should be bunting the most (and they didn't do it enough, imo)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
the Yankees paying Ohtani levels of money to McKinsey all for them to tell them to shed payroll and try bunting is deeply funny

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Poque posted:

the Yankees paying Ohtani levels of money to McKinsey all for them to tell them to shed payroll and try bunting is deeply funny

They'll buy out the contracts of every KBO all star bunt contestant and win 86 games, earning everyone left extensions

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Monathin posted:

Conversely I want to see more bunting and think bunting is cool but I root for the team who should be bunting the most (and they didn't do it enough, imo)

Bunting absolutely owns but only when you pull a fast one and surprise everybody. Don't get me wrong, when the Diamondbacks demonstrated in game 1 how easy they made moving base runners it was impressive, but the best bunt is the one that takes everyone by surprise, commentary included.

It's why Major League's ending is still always a fun watch.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Shinjobi posted:

Bunting absolutely owns but only when you pull a fast one and surprise everybody. Don't get me wrong, when the Diamondbacks demonstrated in game 1 how easy they made moving base runners it was impressive, but the best bunt is the one that takes everyone by surprise, commentary included.

I mean yeah but the point is that everyone should know how to bunt effectively b/c if no one knows how to bunt then even if you aren't expecting it its easy to deal with, everyone should know how to bunt so that any player on the roster can lay one down and you can never be safe from it.

so like I agree with the take but imo that doesn't mean less bunting, it means more bunting. Everyone should be afraid of the bunt.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Monathin posted:

I mean yeah but the point is that everyone should know how to bunt effectively b/c if no one knows how to bunt then even if you aren't expecting it its easy to deal with, everyone should know how to bunt so that any player on the roster can lay one down and you can never be safe from it.

so like I agree with the take but imo that doesn't mean less bunting, it means more bunting. Everyone should be afraid of the bunt.

Oh we're in agreement then. Anybody at that level of play should be bunt capable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

I assume this is the reasoning behind Schwarbers g6 bunt in 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

didn't a pitcher gently caress up their face during bunting practice a few years back? was that Scherzer?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Hal is right that you shouldn't need to spend 300 million to win which is why he's going to make changes in the people who are allocating his payroll spend....... right? ?????????? right????????????????????????????????????

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
"Don't spend money" says the Yankees

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

All I have to do is remember that the vast majority of Brewers fans are also Packers fans and any sympathy for them vanishes. :munch:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

"Don't spend money" says the Yankees
somewhere Bud Selig smiles

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

All I have to do is remember that the vast majority of Brewers fans are also Packers fans and any sympathy for them vanishes. :munch:

I'm a Cubs and a Packers fan, so ha!!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Mark is just trying to ride the wave of anti-Counsell sentiment to draw heat away from himself he's completely full of poo poo here.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I love this kind of stuff.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Poque posted:

im not betrayed! im not betrayed!!

Shoulda gone full Cleveland owner.

I promise the fans we'll win a series before "the chicken man."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought they killed the chicken man in Philly last night?