Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Duck and Cover posted:

Infinite scroll sucks.

the creator of a way to scroll a website almost immediately deciding that his work unleashed a horror upon the world lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
*clicks on 587th item*

Wait, no, the other one

*click back, page snaps to top of list with only 8 items loaded*

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Sentient Data posted:

*clicks on 587th item*

Wait, no, the other one

*closes browser*

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Sentient Data posted:

*clicks on 587th item*

Wait, no, the other one

Yeah, I always open in a new tab in situations like that to avoid losing my place, which you shouldn't have to do!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Unless they've done some bullshit to stop you opening stuff in new tabs! Yay! You didn't really mean that middle click I'm sure.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

Duck and Cover posted:

Infinite scroll sucks.

I hate when websites have their "About Us" link, contact info, career page etc. at the bottom, but they also have infinite scroll so you can never get to it! I'll scroll to the bottom just to have more content load and bounce the links away from me. If the site loads fast enough then it's literally impossible to access these very important things.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I hate when websites have their "About Us" link, contact info, career page etc. at the bottom, but they also have infinite scroll so you can never get to it! I'll scroll to the bottom just to have more content load and bounce the links away from me. If the site loads fast enough then it's literally impossible to access these very important things.

Wile E. Toyota posting about how he can't catch the load runner.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Wile E. Toyota posted:

This must be a deliberate troll. Contact us if you can, Sisyphus!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
tbf the contract us / about us info is probably bad too.

like I try to give to """""local""""" biz, so something in state atleast, but no. There's no city, state info. the phone number is some 800 call center farm or its email only.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

IMDB feels like it's actively hostile to the user now and will only provide information with great reluctance if you are willing to work for it.

Trying to figure out where I recognise an actor from is like being forced to play a point and click adventure game where I have to closely scan a complicated landscape to find the drawer I need to click to get the key I need to use to unlock another cabinet containing a key which may or may not open a door to a place with useful information.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, I really don’t know why they made it harder to look at Cast and Crew, which has got to be why 90% of people visit the site

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I needed to top up the pressure in our boiler the other day, so googled the serial number expecting to get to one of those sites that obsessively documents manuals for old appliances. Nope, page after page of ‘Boiler unboxing - first Impressions (3 of 7)’ videos and AI-generated “So, you’re trying to <<009530-65943-G20i manual>>? The important thing to remember when trying to <<009530-65943-G20i manual>> is (continues after ads…)” content

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
McDonalds standard cheeseburgers are like the size of cookies now.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, I really don’t know why they made it harder to look at Cast and Crew, which has got to be why 90% of people visit the site

https://libremdb.nerdyfam.tech/title/tt0040897

This is slightly better but i liked it just the way it was in like 2012

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Internet Old One posted:

https://libremdb.nerdyfam.tech/title/tt0040897

This is slightly better but i liked it just the way it was in like 2012

Bookmarked, thanks! This is heaps better than imdb.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Users being able to do what they're trying to do, and user satisfaction, are irrelevant to increasing profit this quarter. Often users being able to do what they are trying to do detracts from profit by skipping things you've monetized and gotten paid by other companies to prioritize over things users want.

Over the last, say, half decade(?) it feels like there was a silent agreement amongst all the big corporations that customer satisfaction was now completely irrelevant. Perhaps because the big companies have become entrenched enough you don't have alternatives and even search has deteriorated to the point that finding alternatives is nearly impossible.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The lack of anti trust has sorta killed competition and thus giving a poo poo about user experience

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The lack of anti trust has sorta killed competition and thus giving a poo poo about user experience

Actual antitrust moves by the government would upend the entire neoliberal order

God it would be nice to see

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Users being able to do what they're trying to do, and user satisfaction, are irrelevant to increasing profit this quarter. Often users being able to do what they are trying to do detracts from profit by skipping things you've monetized and gotten paid by other companies to prioritize over things users want.

Over the last, say, half decade(?) it feels like there was a silent agreement amongst all the big corporations that customer satisfaction was now completely irrelevant. Perhaps because the big companies have become entrenched enough you don't have alternatives and even search has deteriorated to the point that finding alternatives is nearly impossible.

In the Grimdark future, all hope is futile

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Anti trust would take an entirely new statute in the USA. The Chicago school judges have completely neutered Sherman

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

credburn posted:

Why does the monkey have a bunch of tiny bones around its neck? Is that for... ritual stuff?

Crocodile Dundee I think.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Enfys posted:

IMDB feels like it's actively hostile to the user now and will only provide information with great reluctance if you are willing to work for it.

Trying to figure out where I recognise an actor from is like being forced to play a point and click adventure game where I have to closely scan a complicated landscape to find the drawer I need to click to get the key I need to use to unlock another cabinet containing a key which may or may not open a door to a place with useful information.

I just did this one: to get the old view on IMDB, you have to be logged in and have "reference view" enabled, OR append "/reference" to the URL, like so.

fakeedit: or you could use the other site, that's cool too

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

rotinaj posted:

Actual antitrust moves by the government would upend the entire neoliberal order

God it would be nice to see

DOJ is actively suing google for antitrust poo poo rn fwiw

dunno the odds of anything coming from it though

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Imdb is like the only site next to SA I would consider getting the app for based solely on the amount I use it. But god drat it I don't want more apps.

To clarify I do have the SA app.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
That /reference thing is the first legit useful to me "life hack" I've seen in a long time.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I like how some ecommerce sites don't list what I bought in the emails they sent me. Hey fuckwits I might want to reference that information later. Also stop emailing me so drat much. Just one, if I pay with paypal I want 2, one from paypal, one from you. I want to know my order went through, what I ordered and the tracking. What I don't want is one email to tell me I ordered, one for it being shipped, one for it being delivered, one for your lovely newsletter that I did not intend to sign up for, one to review the product, another to review the product. Sometimes I even get the review email before I get the item. So even if you do tell me what items I bought, it's buried in many emails that do not.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 7, 2023

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

GolfHole posted:

All frozen pizza got significantly better in the 2000's. Then all of a sudden every single manufacturer changed their recipe around the same time in ~2017 and they all turned to poo poo. None of the manufacturers has explicitly explained why. Some have fallen so far they have pulled out of entire markets altogether. Historically this suggests a massive fuckup, coverup, and/or cancer-causing oversight of a staple food product, such as wheat or dairy.

I usually buy Pep's, which is still very good and I haven't seen a drop in quality (although the price keeps climbing). I recently decided to get Lozza Mozza instead, because I could buy 2 for the cost of 1 Pep's. I was predictably disappointed - Lozza Mozza used to be good, at least as recently as a couple of years ago! Now it absolutely sucks rear end and I could tell they encheapened the recipe the moment I touched it, the crust is like a quality control rejected saltine now.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Duck and Cover posted:

I like how ecommerce sites don't list what I bought in the emails they sent me. Hey fuckwits I might want to reference that information later. Also stop emailing me so drat much. Just one, if I pay with paypal I want 2, one from paypal, one from you. I want to know my order went through, and the tracking. What I don't want is one email to tell me I ordered, one for it being shipped, one for it being delivered, one for your lovely newsletter that I did not intend to sign up for, one to review the product, another to review the product. Sometimes I even get the review email before I get the item. So even if you do tell me what items I bought, it's buried in many emails that do not.

I heard Amazon at least quit putting order info in the email to shop gmail from harvesting it

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Big fan of whenever I get an Amazon email of the form: "Someone has posted a question about [PRODUCT] that is in your purchase history, go see if you can answer it!" Like I'm supposed to jump at the chance to work for them for free.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Big fan of whenever I get an Amazon email of the form: "Someone has posted a question about [PRODUCT] that is in your purchase history, go see if you can answer it!" Like I'm supposed to jump at the chance to work for them for free.

My favorite part of this process is when you are reading a product page and you see answers or reviews that were obviously written by boomers who got one of these emails and thought it was a personal message that they were obligated to respond to.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

withak posted:

My favorite part of this process is when you are reading a product page and you see answers or reviews that were obviously written by boomers who got one of these emails and thought it was a personal message that they were obligated to respond to.

"i don't know sorry" makes me laugh no matter how many times i see it happen

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

McDonalds standard cheeseburgers are like the size of cookies now.
Where I live they're also $3.

McDonalds' is so far up their own rear end it blows my mind. Fast food is loving fast food. I moved from Boise to the Seattle Metro area and McDonalds was the only fast food place that I saw a price increase that was more than a few cents, and it was like 2x as much.

Then they dropped all their app deals except the BOGO.

And then they dropped the Filet-o-Fish from their BOGO.

It's such a poo poo-tier place now, but they're still posting record profits because Americans are dumb as poo poo.

This probably isn't the first time I've melted down about McDonalds on this website.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Like dude, you can get a cheeseburger from Dick's for the same price as a McDonalds cheeseburger. That is insane.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

One thing anyone of any political alignment will agree on is "government" getting progressively shittier.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
by the way I've been using Kagi and it is 100% worth the 10/month imo

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Duck and Cover posted:

I like how ecommerce sites don't list what I bought in the emails they sent me. Hey fuckwits I might want to reference that information later.

Yup. And then related to that, I didn't make an account when I made the first order, but then maybe later I do for whatever reason, but their system isn't smart enough to attach the old order (still the same email and other info) to my account.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
In general companies also just send way too many emails. I switched my phone service the other day and had this hurricane hit me

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Jelly posted:

Like dude, you can get a cheeseburger from Dick's for the same price as a McDonalds cheeseburger. That is insane.

Hamburger Stand/Wienerschnitzel is cheap and their food reflects as such, but they are even better than McDonald’s at this point. You can get an entire family meal with 8 burgers and fries for the price of a combo meal at Mickey D’s, it’s insane.

And the Big Mac isn’t much bigger than even the cheapest Hamburger Stand burg now, but it costs four times as much. McDonald’s has sucked poo poo for at least a decade by now, and they’re only coasting by on name recognition and people who don’t know any better.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

In general companies also just send way too many emails. I switched my phone service the other day and had this hurricane hit me

Oh hey I have Visible! The service is honestly pretty good - the few times my coverage goes out, I just switch Airplane Mode on and off, and that fixes it.

My only complaint is that their website and app are both terrible. Last time I had an issue I got stuck in a loop with the Virtual AI Chat Assistant that didn't understand anything.

I've never had good luck with those. Any time I log into a website that automatically has that "helpful" chat in the lower-right hand corner, deep down I just give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Hamburger Stand/Wienerschnitzel is cheap and their food reflects as such, but they are even better than McDonald’s at this point. You can get an entire family meal with 8 burgers and fries for the price of a combo meal at Mickey D’s, it’s insane.

And the Big Mac isn’t much bigger than even the cheapest Hamburger Stand burg now, but it costs four times as much. McDonald’s has sucked poo poo for at least a decade by now, and they’re only coasting by on name recognition and people who don’t know any better.

I think part of it is the family audience as well, which does play into recognition of course. Parents have to take their kids where they want to go. Like every Dairy Queen I've ever been to has been easy to get through and their food is mid tier, it's okay. But I lived in the suburbs of Lake Stevens for a while and around dinner every day that place would have a line 15+ cars long nearly wrapped out to the street when there was a Taco Bell, Burger King and Jack In the Box all within a few mile radius that had less than three customers. It becomes obvious who holds the power and logic doesn't play a role.