Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Stella's design is probably my favourite out of the entire cast. I do wish she had a little more depth, although maybe they're setting something up introducing her brother as such a clear manipulator of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the show seems pretty content keeping her as a horrid shrew that everyone else has to work around. right now she’s basically everything rotten about the goetia rolled up in a single character, which suits well enough

e: I wouldn’t be surprised if she ends up a casualty of striker’s impending meltdown

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still kind of a gap that we haven't seen Stella and Octavia's relationship at all. Like there's def the vibe Stolas does the bulk of the actual parenting but it's not clear whether Stella is neglectful, distant, outright abusive, or even steps up sometimes.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Stella's brother has worse vibes than her.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Stella's brother has worse vibes than her.

Well he also has the distinction of having a functional brain and yeah we definitely need to see what the hell Stella and Octavia's relationship is like. It's actually something of a pet peeve of mine we've never seen the two actually interact and this is her mother for godsakes. Also I am wildly looking forward to Striker's meltdown especially his reaction to Fizz and Ozzie getting public support for their relationship. Fizz is probably going to be heralded as some great pioneer for imp rights and that would probably be the last push he needs. That the purse dog is getting more respect and recognition from their own kind then him.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I feel like Stella is probably quite kind to Octavia in a gaslighty sort of way.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Flopsy posted:

Re-upping this as the pilot was just confirmed as non-canon during the Helluva boss panel. So that explains how a lot of weird character traits got dropped very quickly including how Stolas was supposed to be the main villain of the show. Bryce Pinkman's performance is what convinced the crew to change his role to actual love interest. It's kinda hilarious too because I just saw a post bitching about false advertising about what the pilot offered us and here I am just glad they took the show in a different direction.

again, i am glad it didnt end up being like the pilot. the show is so much more interesting now and while it can be kinda "hamfisted" with its messaging sometimes(not a bad thing at all since its clearly needed)

Flopsy posted:

Well he also has the distinction of having a functional brain and yeah we definitely need to see what the hell Stella and Octavia's relationship is like. It's actually something of a pet peeve of mine we've never seen the two actually interact and this is her mother for godsakes. Also I am wildly looking forward to Striker's meltdown especially his reaction to Fizz and Ozzie getting public support for their relationship. Fizz is probably going to be heralded as some great pioneer for imp rights and that would probably be the last push he needs. That the purse dog is getting more respect and recognition from their own kind then him.

yeah he has actual cunning and is good at the game so to speak, its his tywin to stellas ceasesie and i like that dynamic since now a days its usually the opposite.

Pyrotoad posted:

Stella's design is probably my favourite out of the entire cast. I do wish she had a little more depth, although maybe they're setting something up introducing her brother as such a clear manipulator of her.

yeah i like stella as a bad guy and i am kinda curious/hope she has more going on but i also like that she is shallow vain shithead who can't see past her bird tits.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gets more interesting with the vibe that Stolas genuinely has no idea what a healthy relationship looks like and Blitz isn't much better. That said, can kinda see how they had to drop a probably intended plotline to fit in that dynamic, and leaves Stella a bit more one-dimensional from the somewhat justifiably angry wife she'd be otherwise.

yeah i can sorta get where people come from where making stella sorta decent to a degree would be a more interesting move. making her more sympathetic would have made the whole thing much more interesting but i get why they didnt choose that.

I have theory that probably won't come to pass but i like. I think when she first met him, she did actually like him, hell maybe loved him in her own weird way, but then when the first time rolled around. he said blitzy or something and it just killed any love she felt or etc and because she is already a fuckhead, she went fully abuser. I dont think they will go with it because that would give her a weird "excuse" for her actions. but its interesting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still kind of a gap that we haven't seen Stella and Octavia's relationship at all. Like there's def the vibe Stolas does the bulk of the actual parenting but it's not clear whether Stella is neglectful, distant, outright abusive, or even steps up sometimes.

I dont think she is fully abusive to her, I think she is mostly just uncaring or distant outside the "keep your chin up for the party darling" type poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do get the vibe there's probably room for a scene where Stolas realises that, even if it's not something he was ever capable of for various reasons, and regardless of her many faults, he has been a lovely husband to Stella, and everyone involved would have been immensely happier if they had divorced a long time ago.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I dont think she is fully abusive to her, I think she is mostly just uncaring or distant outside the "keep your chin up for the party darling" type poo poo.

Yeah, I get the vibe similar to Paimon where while not actively abusing she's very bare minimum, let the servants do the work, or Stolas considering it's his job to tutor her as a precautionary heir. That said, it's pretty clear Octavia is downright traumatised by their constant arguing and fighting.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The first episode of season 2, where little child Stolas meets his father and find out about his marriage, we see a picture of child Octavia Stella.

edit: wrong name dumbass

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 8, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The first episode of season 2, where little child Stolas meets his father and find out about his marriage, we see a picture of child Octavia.

you mean Stella.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do get the vibe there's probably room for a scene where Stolas realises that, even if it's not something he was ever capable of for various reasons, and regardless of her many faults, he has been a lovely husband to Stella, and everyone involved would have been immensely happier if they had divorced a long time ago.

Yeah, I get the vibe similar to Paimon where while not actively abusing she's very bare minimum, let the servants do the work, or Stolas considering it's his job to tutor her as a precautionary heir. That said, it's pretty clear Octavia is downright traumatised by their constant arguing and fighting.

you kinda get that a couple times. Stolas does want to feel bad but she has been nothing but abusive and everyway to him and he and her both know this was arranged marriage and he stayed so octavia had a father who gave a gently caress but now thats she is age of inheretence and such, he is done. get the gently caress out etc.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finally caught up with this show and I have two questions:

1: Is there any particular rhyme or reason to when new Helluva Boss episodes come out?

2: Why is it that almost none of the voice cast from the 2019 pilot is coming back for the Hazbin Hotel series? I thought the majority of them did a great job for the most part (I’m also curious how much of said pilot will be rehashed for the actual premiere)

Also why did it take this long for the show to finally get picked up?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Larryb posted:

1: Is there any particular rhyme or reason to when new Helluva Boss episodes come out?

2: Why is it that almost none of the voice cast from the 2019 pilot is coming back for the Hazbin Hotel series? I thought the majority of them did a great job for the most part (I’m also curious how much of said pilot will be rehashed for the actual premiere)

For 2. it's an Actor's Guild thing I believe.

For 1. it happens when they're ready.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The answer to 1 is basically whenever the episodes are complete. They're not all that infrequent, but it's best to just keep an eye here for news on when they'll drop.

As for the last point, it hasn't actually taken that long, all things considered. A random internet pilot wasn't going to get picked up that quickly, and there were plenty of changes needed that would have slowed the approval process down. Getting a few episodes of Helluva Boss out to show that they can improve on a pilot and keep up the production pace probably helped a lot (I can't remember how quickly Hazbin was approved though).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Larryb posted:

I read somewhere that they are taking a break until like febuary or march for the next episode(long break and holidays plus Hazbin launching january) and wanted to wrap the year up with mid season finale. but normally, when its finished.

on 2. i think actors union rules. but she picked some good choices and i am curious to see what happens with it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I read somewhere that they are taking a break until like febuary or march for the next episode(long break and holidays plus Hazbin launching january) and wanted to wrap the year up with mid season finale. but normally, when its finished.

on 2. i think actors union rules. but she picked some good choices and i am curious to see what happens with it.

Last I heard Helluva Boss will be picking back up again in April but until then we're getting Hazbin Hotel to tide us over and a music video duet of Blitzo and Stolas in December.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Last I heard Helluva Boss will be picking back up again in April but until then we're getting Hazbin Hotel to tide us over and a music video duet of Blitzo and Stolas in December.

Dope. Question what else did they say at the whole presser thing?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Dope. Question what else did they say at the whole presser thing?

Honestly I'm just referencing little video clips from the panel and quotes from people who were there. I can try and find the account I was following for updates though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Flopsy posted:

Wait, the duet is a music video? I thought it was something from a future episode

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Wait, the duet is a music video? I thought it was something from a future episode

Just reporting what I heard. Apparently it's supposed to be a stand alone thing? I mean it could easily be part of the next episode but that's not releasing in December so...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

you mean Stella.

you kinda get that a couple times. Stolas does want to feel bad but she has been nothing but abusive and everyway to him and he and her both know this was arranged marriage and he stayed so octavia had a father who gave a gently caress but now thats she is age of inheretence and such, he is done. get the gently caress out etc.

Yeah, basically. Actually, comes to mind that frankly, if Stella sought sexual satisfaction outside her marriage it's unlikely Stolas would be bothered much himself (potential bastards aside, though that's another story) but then it kinda goes with the theme Stella also isn't much to try to deal with problems herself when she can take them out on and/or have someone else deal with them for her. As said, Stella is pretty much everything wrong with the Goetia wrapped up in one character, complete with her horrible attitudes never being discouraged in the least.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Hazbin Hotel is literally actually just a pilot thus far, I think is the deal, and similar to Helluva, what's been shown thus far might be maybe sorta kinda canon but it's used as a rough draft of what the show proper will look like.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, basically. Actually, comes to mind that frankly, if Stella sought sexual satisfaction outside her marriage it's unlikely Stolas would be bothered much himself (potential bastards aside, though that's another story) but then it kinda goes with the theme Stella also isn't much to try to deal with problems herself when she can take them out on and/or have someone else deal with them for her. As said, Stella is pretty much everything wrong with the Goetia wrapped up in one character, complete with her horrible attitudes never being discouraged in the least.

Hazbin Hotel is literally actually just a pilot thus far, I think is the deal, and similar to Helluva, what's been shown thus far might be maybe sorta kinda canon but it's used as a rough draft of what the show proper will look like.

I kinda hope they put the every demon has a rainbow song in it or at least in the ost as a bonus.

Also they removed the helluva boss pilot from the channel.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlahNrlcgS4

?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

from the offcial playlist, i mean sorry.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I kinda hope they put the every demon has a rainbow song in it or at least in the ost as a bonus.

They did release this video a few weeks ago showing off some of the new Hazbin Hotel VAs (which I’ll admit sound at least fairly close to the originals):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=q1MT8GZ3c-E

I’ll be curious if the premiere is going to rehash the pilot with some changes here and there (which would make sense since by the time the show comes out it’d be 5 years from then) or just pick up where it left off.

Also I kind of love that this franchise is basically a Disney musical only with swearing and sex jokes

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 9, 2023

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Also I kind of love that this franchise is basically a Disney musical only with swearing and sex jokes

This is the perfect encapsulation of all of Hazbin Hotel/Helluva Boss. I was actually kinda thinking the other day that some of these musical numbers wouldn't be out of place in a Disney movie.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I imagine they will redo the pilot as a full episode, Happy Day in Hell sounds like a song that happens before the ill-fated tv spot. Plus there's actual characters for the Exterminators, so I could see Adam getting a song to introduce himself as the Angelic threat during the opening extermination.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Larryb posted:

seriously this. both the shows have disneyish musical numbers. i mean gently caress this is a literal disney "i want" song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaiUqekVrB4
its interesting seeing the new generation of animators(alot of the indie/ex newgrounds/tumblr/DA types) show off where they got their influences. her humor is very mature matured internet but the style is very musical theater and disney and burton/sellak. other indie animations have their own influences. its like disney and his animators were all vaudiville inspired. like most of the early disney movies are just vinyettes with a loose story.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Dapper_Swindler posted:

seriously this. both the shows have disneyish musical numbers. i mean gently caress this is a literal disney "i want" song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaiUqekVrB4
its interesting seeing the new generation of animators(alot of the indie/ex newgrounds/tumblr/DA types) show off where they got their influences. her humor is very mature matured internet but the style is very musical theater and disney and burton/sellak. other indie animations have their own influences. its like disney and his animators were all vaudiville inspired. like most of the early disney movies are just vinyettes with a loose story.

As is this, right down to the animation style. Or at least half of it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

alot of metal/goth/00s hot topi aestheticc too.

https://sharkrobot.com/collections/vivziepop?page=1&sort_by=created-descending
also merch drop. some pretty good stuff unlike halloween.

https://sharkrobot.com/products/mammons-clown-pageant-green

this is adorable

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

What an absolutely fuckin' sick as hell drawing of Loona

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

What an absolutely fuckin' sick as hell drawing of Loona

i might not get the MnM one because while its nice, its not as nice as the others.

this one is good. bought it for halloween sale.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Huh, never noticed that the book opens to a page on 'Asmodean crystals' which is exactly why Stolas is visiting Asmodeus in the latest episode.

Neat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this one is good. bought it for halloween sale.

In the words of Marge Simpson, now this I like.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

In the words of Marge Simpson, now this I like.

Ill give them credit that they find very good artists for the most part for their shirts.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/youtooz/status/1724109987885256895?s=46&t=zg0XgHT_di_DWV1ZvBwV8g

They have the correct eyes!!! Not the stupid youtooz eyes!!! :dance:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ill get loona and stolas probably. things are like 30 bucks each .

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Stolas looking like he's about to get his rear end kicked by Kirby.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

Stolas looking like he's about to get his rear end kicked by Kirby.

i am sorta curious if we will ever see another stolas "unleashed" moment, the closet you get is the dhorks episode but he didnt even have to actually fight because they wernt even worth the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am sorta curious if we will ever see another stolas "unleashed" moment, the closet you get is the dhorks episode but he didnt even have to actually fight because they wernt even worth the effort.

Well, that and he didn't want to.

That wasn't even a real "unleashed" moment; Stolas killed zero people in that encounter even though he clearly could have if he'd felt like it.