Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
BG1 movement speed is the main difference between it and Tutu/EE and what I mean when its just kind of... bad compared to all of the newer RPGs aping table top schemes.

There's a bunch of engine minutiae between TotSC engine and BG2 engine but its all just sort of flavoring. The original movement speed makes things like wilderness exploration feel like a journey and makes the mazes both make more sense why they would have been included and also much more infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vichan posted:

Icewind Dale II: Enhanced Edition is out, fanmade.

Going to install it in a bit to see if it's worth it, just thought I'd let everyone know.

Does anybody have a font scaling mod for this? I like running in widescreen, but I don't want to use a microscope on the text.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

H13 posted:

Does anybody have a font scaling mod for this? I like running in widescreen, but I don't want to use a microscope on the text.

Just play in 1280x720. It’s perfectly readable at that resolution.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

chaosapiant posted:

Just play in 1280x720. It’s perfectly readable at that resolution.

No can do. I've got my PC hooked up to my TV and it freaks out if something isn't running at 4k or 1080.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Wolfsheim posted:

I just finished BG1 for the first time ever about a month ago and its definitely a slog at times

It almost feels like they should've let you into the city itself earlier because by the time you get there doing little side quests for 500XP and a +1 long sword has lost a lot of its appeal and just made me want to beeline the ending
While I do not feel like it is a slog personally, I WILL agree that there are a few parts that really are not fun (mostly Tales of the Sword Coast but also Ulcaster School and Firewine Bridge) if you go to them when you would think the game wants you to, but if you make a beeline for the main quest and get to Baldur’s Gate proper before having explored half the other game zones it really makes it feel better integrated. Which is probably why I love the first game so much, playing to maximize my enjoyment rather than following the game's intended flow

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

goblin week posted:

IWD2EE is very aimed at people who already played the game so they removed some Annoying Features such as the entire time loop level in Dragon’s Eye

It's a WeiDU mod, you can choose which modules to install.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

H13 posted:

From the forums:

quote:

So, to get the game to run at an ideal size:

1) Before you install IWD2:EE, if you installed IWD2 from GOG, please run setup-ddrawfix.exe (found in your game folder) and go through the steps to uninstall it. IWD2:EE comes with a preconfigured cnc-ddraw replacement for ddrawfix, but won't use it if it detects ddrawfix is already installed. Critically, cnc-ddraw allows the game to upscale to your monitor's resolution.

2) Install IWD2:EE like normal.

3) The resolution IWD2:EE asks for when starting is the resolution the engine targets. Since the game was designed for 800x600, and the engine can't upscale on its own, selecting higher resolutions here results in a small image size. So, when starting IWD2:EE, select a smallish resolution that matches (or is close to) your monitor's aspect ratio. Selecting a resolution just above 1024x768 works well. If cnc-ddraw is being used, it will then upscale the game from this resolution to your monitor's native resolution, resulting in an image that fits your display.

Menus and such will appear centered in front of a black background if you have a widescreen monitor. The world screen always fits the entire display, like in OlvynChuru's screenshot.

A bit convoluted, I know, but that's the difficulty of working with an engine that's ~25 years old.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

I took Rasaad for the first time this run and he is pretty decent if you give him the Shield Amulet (AC 4) and the Relair's Mistake cloak that turns you into a wolf (18 STR 17 DEX +1 APR).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm a weird who runs IWD2 in 4:3 aspect ratio at 1024x768 resolution fullscreened.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

matti posted:

I took Rasaad for the first time this run and he is pretty decent if you give him the Shield Amulet (AC 4) and the Relair's Mistake cloak that turns you into a wolf (18 STR 17 DEX +1 APR).

I've never really looked seriously at this cloak and I'm gonna have to try this sometime. I do like Rasaad's sun soul powers but I find him a bit fragile.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

With a plain rear end Ring of Protection +1 I think he has -2 AC, which is not amazing but good enough that he does not get chunked every single fight. Sun Soul powers also work while transformed.

matti fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 7, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

I've never really looked seriously at this cloak and I'm gonna have to try this sometime. I do like Rasaad's sun soul powers but I find him a bit fragile.

The sun soul ray is pretty great since it's so fast cast and iirc it can go through a lot of spell protections. Great mage interrupter.

Monk imo is a pretty terribly weak class even in bg2/tob but it's far from unplayable and it is a fun class to try and milk some usage out of

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

Monk imo is a pretty terribly weak class even in bg2/tob but it's far from unplayable and it is a fun class to try and milk some usage out of

My initial Ironman plans for this year preclude playing any monks -- I'm thinking of returning to the rock band gimmick party well again because thanks to various mods I can actually do an actual all-bard party properly -- but once that party dies in like Act 3 it might be time to try a monk of some description. I tend to fall into a druid or cleric/thief rut and I feel the need to branch out.

I've poked at some of the monk class/kit mods before but a lot of them seem to overcompensate (as is not uncommon for kit mods). I think they bear a second look though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

My initial Ironman plans for this year preclude playing any monks -- I'm thinking of returning to the rock band gimmick party well again because thanks to various mods I can actually do an actual all-bard party properly -- but once that party dies in like Act 3 it might be time to try a monk of some description. I tend to fall into a druid or cleric/thief rut and I feel the need to branch out.

I've poked at some of the monk class/kit mods before but a lot of them seem to overcompensate (as is not uncommon for kit mods). I think they bear a second look though.

I'm not sure how I'd fix them since the whole class design is weird. It's got speed bonuses and bad ac so theoretically it's a hit and run class but it gets a good amount of apr so hitting and running feels like you waste that. And even with the powerful scaling fists it still falls behind in dps to a dual wielding improved hasted fighter.

I think either its defensive potential or offensive potential should be increased. Right now it has no niche. Fighter out does it in dps and defensive capabilities

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm not sure how I'd fix them since the whole class design is weird. It's got speed bonuses and bad ac so theoretically it's a hit and run class but it gets a good amount of apr so hitting and running feels like you waste that. And even with the powerful scaling fists it still falls behind in dps to a dual wielding improved hasted fighter.

I think either its defensive potential or offensive potential should be increased. Right now it has no niche. Fighter out does it in dps and defensive capabilities

I think leaning into monks as skirmishers and disablers is the way I'd go, since that seems to be what they're best at in their various tabletop iterations. Honestly if I were dreaming up my own BG kit I'd probably throw Monk into a blender with Wizard Slayer and see what happens. Maybe give their attacks a progressive chance to bypass combat protections or something.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
They can't get crit immunity because they can't wear hats, right?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

in 5 editions wizards hasnt figured out to do with monks so I doubt this thread can crack that nut

I guess do what BG3 did and just give them a bunch of borderline broken equipment

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

I think leaning into monks as skirmishers and disablers is the way I'd go, since that seems to be what they're best at in their various tabletop iterations. Honestly if I were dreaming up my own BG kit I'd probably throw Monk into a blender with Wizard Slayer and see what happens. Maybe give their attacks a progressive chance to bypass combat protections or something.

Yeah I wouldn't mind leaning into the fast moving hit and run archetype. Making them a great mage killer would be cool. They're already sorta that with their innate MR but you could lean into it even more by giving them special abilities to help them harass enemy mages. You'd have to be careful on how to balance that I guess or mages would be too easy to kill though.

Torquemada posted:

They can't get crit immunity because they can't wear hats, right?

Correct. They can in vanilla I believe through some (probably unintended?) methods like wearing that helm that lets you see the treasure in Firkraag's Dungeon. Although maybe Beamdog patched that out? Can't recall.

Rogue Rebalancing adds some Ioun Stones that give crit immunity that Monks can wear which does a lot to make them more viable as a melee. Having bad ac and no crit immunity and not super great hp = a yikesaroo against hard hitting enemies like Golems

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Ginette Reno posted:

Correct. They can in vanilla I believe through some (probably unintended?) methods like wearing that helm that lets you see the treasure in Firkraag's Dungeon. Although maybe Beamdog patched that out? Can't recall.

Anything in the head slot would protect against critical hits. Was patched out in the EE. Has to be an actual helmet now.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

babypolis posted:

in 5 editions wizards hasnt figured out to do with monks so I doubt this thread can crack that nut

I guess do what BG3 did and just give them a bunch of borderline broken equipment

5e monks are fine? It's a weird niche that struggles to assert itself without infringing on other class's territory but I feel like they've got it about right now.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The primary purpose of a monk is to geek the enemy mages in 5e

In BG3, it is to destroy everything efficiently

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Way of Shadow Monk is very effective at hit and run tactics, especially in the dark. I loved playing one.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Monks suck because they don't care about 90% of gear

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
4E Monks were good, as well, they were a mobility-focused striker class whose gimmick was comboing different types of actions together.

Personally, I think the Artisan's Kitpack mentioned upthread has probably the sanest revision of the Monk I've seen. It mostly just changes the overall power curve to make the early game more forgiving. Their AC bonuses are frontloaded and tied to Wisdom, and their fists have a longer power scale that lines up much better with how a non-Monk would acquire new equipment.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Anyone tried using dale keeper 2 for IWD2 enhanced edition? Picking it up again after fifteen or so years, but 3rd edition D&D has so many poo poo feats I'm gonna wanna switch things up without restarting a game every time.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Krowley posted:

Anyone tried using dale keeper 2 for IWD2 enhanced edition? Picking it up again after fifteen or so years, but 3rd edition D&D has so many poo poo feats I'm gonna wanna switch things up without restarting a game every time.

I used it regularly in Vanilla IWD2 and it's pretty intuitive to use. Just make sure you make a backup save before using it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Krowley posted:

The big thing to keep in mind is that your first level feat matters a lot, because there’s some feats you can only get at first level which are crucial for some builds (ambidexterity is a good example.) In a similar way, due to how you get skill points, whomever is going to be your rogue for opening locks/finding and disabling traps needs to take their first level in rogue. After that you can mess around a bit more, but you need to start by maxing out those skills (which only a rogue can do) or you’ll be behind for the entire game.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

No, I mean specifically for the enhanced edition mod that came out recently. Is it compatible?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Jay Rust posted:

Monks suck because they don't care about 90% of gear
Yeah I realized at some point that "not caring about equipment" was antithetical to my overall significant enjoyment of equpment upgrades and even inventory management in RPGs. I mean if I were an adventurer in real life I might dig being a monk so I did not have to hoard things in my endless backpack, but in games that is hardly fun (Baldur's Gate ]I[ is pretty good with monks getting cool equipment though)

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Always thought it should've become commonplace for monks to lift amply from the Tattoos and such intrigues of Planescape Torment as a means to Get There as far as thinking about interacting different with gear/enchantments/etc rather than eschewing the vast bulk---easier than going the ritual route or full on into drinking the glorious well dry from Wuxia/Xianxia cultivation doings.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Krowley posted:

No, I mean specifically for the enhanced edition mod that came out recently. Is it compatible?

You may want to post in the Beamdog forum for the EE release on that one. There are some gameplay tweaks that the EE has as an optional component. I'm not sure if including those will break IWD2 Keeper.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Only the mod devs will probably know at this point but the Keeper programs are just flat file peelers and I would doubt a mod team made enough changes to change the save file format around so it should just work.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Has anyone been giving the Icewind Dale 2 EE mod a go? I was wondering how stable it is? I've always struggled with IWD2 on modern machines. It always crashes for me. I've wanted to play it for a few years now and was waiting for Beamdog to release a new version, but I've read about the Source Code and realize it will never come.

It's the one IE game I've only ever played through once.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

mitochondritom posted:

Has anyone been giving the Icewind Dale 2 EE mod a go? I was wondering how stable it is? I've always struggled with IWD2 on modern machines. It always crashes for me. I've wanted to play it for a few years now and was waiting for Beamdog to release a new version, but I've read about the Source Code and realize it will never come.

It's the one IE game I've only ever played through once.

Seems fine so far, no real issues up to the Sharngard Ford bits.

It crashed once, and I had some minor graphical issues with the fog of war, but there's a fix included for that.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've been playing it and i'm up to the goblin fortress, but I get a LOT of crashes, typically when clicking on items in inventory, but also just randomly in battle. I have a fresh install from GOG that i just installed the mod to, not sure what might be causing 'em. The new options and feats and stuff are pretty nice, and it sure runs real smooth, just crashes 3 times an hour or so.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I wish they included an option in the installer to leave vanilla mechanics in. It's a bit tedious having to go into each option individually and decide whether I want it or not.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vargatron posted:

I wish they included an option in the installer to leave vanilla mechanics in. It's a bit tedious having to go into each option individually and decide whether I want it or not.

does it not use a weidu installer? generally those let you decide for things based on group or go through them individually

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Arivia posted:

does it not use a weidu installer? generally those let you decide for things based on group or go through them individually

It does, but the install doesn't have a "vanilla mechanics only" toggle at the beginning.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
After 20 years of Weidu I still can't believe no one has created better way to use batch files to save template settings and reapply them for yourself or friends later.

I think you can fake it somewhere, especially if you get industrious about using a DLC packer for the actual EEs. But it was inconclusive last time I was looking at what the best way to duplicate settings between two PCs. The common answer, just move the install folder like it's still 2003)

Like 20 years on, we should have a checkbox gui by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zedprime posted:

After 20 years of Weidu I still can't believe no one has created better way to use batch files to save template settings and reapply them for yourself or friends later.

I think you can fake it somewhere, especially if you get industrious about using a DLC packer for the actual EEs. But it was inconclusive last time I was looking at what the best way to duplicate settings between two PCs. The common answer, just move the install folder like it's still 2003)

Like 20 years on, we should have a checkbox gui by now.

I think it's just because it works well enough there's not a ton of pressure to make a new one.