Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The Sens were a rebuilding team and shouldn't have been expected to perform better than they have up to this season. But now it's time to shut the gently caress up and win some games. What loser energy all around

Edit:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Trade five firsts for saros

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

The Sens were a rebuilding team and shouldn't have been expected to perform better than they have up to this season. But now it's time to shut the gently caress up and win some games. What loser energy all around
I think they expected to be better last year.

I also can't imagine that ownership/management have any investment in DJ Smith besides not wanting to pay 2 coaches. He's now one of the longest tenured coaches in the league with 0 results to show for it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Tbf 10+ years playing for the Flyers broke Claude’s brain , he doesn’t know what winning looks like :negative:

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
What's that saying? "When you're drowning, the league won't throw you a life jacket, they'll throw you an anchor"

Any team Holland calls about a goalie is gonna jack the price up a ton knowing how desperate he is.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Szechwan posted:

What's that saying? "When you're drowning, the league won't throw you a life jacket, they'll throw you an anchor"

Any team Holland calls about a goalie is gonna jack the price up a ton knowing how desperate he is.

But what if he calls one of the dumb GMs ?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Szechwan posted:

Pay the price who gives a poo poo

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Yeah when you have prime Mcdrai you kinda don't give a gently caress about the future for the next decade

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Who is even available?

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Yup he's got no choice. It's still wild to me that Edmonton has been so stingy with their 1sts, if you think you're a contender you should pretty much never be making that pick.

But hey, thank god they have Philip Broberg and Xavier Bourgault ready to step in and make difference.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Duck Rodgers posted:

Who is even available?

I figured Gibson would be a target given Dostals play, but I think they like that tandem.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
what goalies are available that toronto hasn't already tried and ruined?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Tristan Jarry makes about 5 million bucks......I mean that would leave the Pens with.............??????? in net but hey.....lets not worry about that!

Edit: no we don't want Campbell back.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wonderllama posted:

https://i.imgur.com/NfbntWl.mp4

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Jack Campbell has a sparkling .873 SV%

Stuart Skinner has an even more sparkling .856 SV%

At this point the Oilers should just start a bunch of EBUGs and see what happens.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

grack posted:

At this point the Oilers should just start a bunch of EBUGs and see what happens.

Paul Coffey explaining in the dressing room how they won the cup with an .880 sv% stop being a bunch of losers

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

They are a 45% xGF team 5v5 currently scoring 70% of the goals. They are absolutely a fluke.

Edit: ^^^ the Canucks PK is currently 77% which is a smidge below NHL average of 79%.

Sure they have an average PK now, but that’s like 12 points higher than last season. The most common goal they let in last season was a series of cross seam passes resulting in a back door tap ins. This seasons it’s generally been far more normal.

The Canucks haven’t had offence problems for the last couple of years. The last two seasons they have had two different guys get 99+ points, and one of the top offence D’s in the league. The problem was they literally couldn’t defend.

Now they are a team with a good offence with perhaps a league average defence/structure (as opposed to bottom 5). That’s not going to win a cup, but while guys like Hughes are hot it’s going to allow you to go on some winning streaks.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Wonderllama posted:

They can take Jake Allen before he wins us out of another high draft pick (or he breaks again).

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
The Oilers godawful goaltending is reminiscent of the Canucks' from early last season, where it had as much to do with a permissive defensive environment as much as the goalies themselves.

The Suter and Hoglander goals last night stand out as particularly egregious examples.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Campbell started the first game for Edmonton, which you could use as a proxy for who they thought (hoped) the starter would be (no injuries to factor).

Has a teams starting goalie been waived a dozen games into the season before?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Edmonton should just rotate a random player into net every game, like baseball teams putting position players in to pitch.

e: Just trying to imagine the night McDavid draws the short straw and his to spend the night in the pipes.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mr. unhsib posted:

The Oilers godawful goaltending is reminiscent of the Canucks' from early last season, where it had as much to do with a permissive defensive environment as much as the goalies themselves.

The Suter and Hoglander goals last night stand out as particularly egregious examples.

That Suter goal was atrocious and Skinner should be embarassed

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Wonderllama posted:

Finally, it's Calvin Pickard's time to shine

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Edmonton should just rotate a random player into net every game, like baseball teams putting position players in to pitch.

e: Just trying to imagine the night McDavid draws the short straw and his to spend the night in the pipes.

Get Mike Smith out of retirement. Give him a 4 year deal at 1 million per and let him retire again after the year

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

That Suter goal was atrocious and Skinner should be embarassed

You would hope the goalie would have it, but Foegele and Kulak sure butchered that coverage

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
lolol. like a new goalie is going to fix that awful team defence. why don't you try markstrom

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

grack posted:

I was sure SJ"s tandem could beat this but surprisingly both Blackwood and Kahkonen have a smidge better SV% despite each giving up almost 4 .5 gpg.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mennoknight posted:

lolol. like a new goalie is going to fix that awful team defence. why don't you try markstrom

Jack for Jakob

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Duck Rodgers posted:

Who is even available?

No one. Even if someone was, the Penguins and Hurricanes are also desperate for a goalie. (In fact I won't be surprised if they both call Campbell's agent after the buyout.) The price will be staggering.

It's probably a good time for Boston to gin up a bidding war over one of their goalies.

e: Minnesota could probably be persuaded to part with one (1) slightly used MAF for multiple high draft picks

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 7, 2023

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

If San Jose loses tonight, they have an opportunity to do something very funny on Thursday

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Have we talked about the Connor Brown contract? Because that is a huge ticking time bomb for the Oil.

Bonus laden deal that cashes a 3m cap hit for next season if he plays 10 games this year. 9 games in he has been absolutely atrocious and probably isn't even an NHLer.. So the Oil could waive him and save the big payout, but it's likely that it was a handshake deal to keep his cap hit lower for this season.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

e: Minnesota could probably be persuaded to part with one (1) slightly used MAF for multiple high draft picks

that's the siren song of ken holland

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Szechwan posted:

Have we talked about the Connor Brown contract? Because that is a huge ticking time bomb for the Oil.

Bonus laden deal that cashes a 3m cap hit for next season if he plays 10 games this year. 9 games in he has been absolutely atrocious and probably isn't even an NHLer.. So the Oil could waive him and save the big payout, but it's likely that it was a handshake deal to keep his cap hit lower for this season.

Vegas is the only team who would pull that move. 100% it would have been a handshake deal (is there a lower threshold?)

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Both Kraken goalies have actually looked decent so far this year, they could probably afford to lose one. Plus they have Driedger in the AHL still making 3.5MM. Grubauer's contract is 5.9MM so he might be available for fairly low cost in draft capital and the Kraken wouldn't be much worse off rolling with Daccord and Driedger.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Problem is the $5.9M won't fit on anybody's cap and Seattle isn't going to eat half or take back anyone's bad contract without being paid a big pile of draft capital.

It's the same situation everywhere. No one is giving up a palatable and not-overpaid goalie without being paid a king's ransom. And that's before you consider there are at least three teams facing closing windows (Well the Hurricanes and Pens are, anyway) that desperately need a goalie. It wouldn't shock me if one of them paid two firsts-plus for Ullmark.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 7, 2023

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
all this fuckin rules

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Penguins probably won't be a serious bidder in the Goalie Wars though, now that I think about it, because they don't have a first round pick to trade until 2026 due to San Jose having their protected 2024 pick that might turn into a 2025 one. And no one is taking a package centered on a 2026 first rounder, even if it's near certain to be a very high first rounder, because no GM is personally guaranteed to still be around in 3 years to use it.

The Oilers still control all their first round picks so if anyone's going to trade two of them for a goalie it'll probably be them

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I would take Grubauer for Campbell!!!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mennoknight posted:

all this fuckin rules

You know what, you're right.

Vancouver being the least embarrassing Canadian team to start the season was definitely not what I expected either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I would take Grubauer for Campbell!!!

Mrazek is only 31 and on the last year of his contract. And its Chicago, one of the few teams the Oilers might be able to fleece.