Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Khanstant posted:

You're gonna hate when you get to an episode with Itchy and Scratchy

itchy and scratchy is funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
its funny when the mouse harms the cat with over the top cartoon violence to parody tom and jerry its not funny when its casual cruelty with no punchline

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are there even any halfway decent Itchy and Scratchy moments from the past 15-20 seasons?

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

This is a weird one,

For those who grew up with Simpsons dubbed in their country's language, did they ever do a joke like https://youtu.be/QQKDSaeeGes?si=jKDf6bguqFI3BDUy ?
Where the episode itself changes because of the fact that it is a dub?

The central gag of the episode became Bart the French Canadian being unable to understand or communicate with France French people, which is a true thing that often happens.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its funny when the mouse harms the cat with over the top cartoon violence to parody tom and jerry its not funny when its casual cruelty with no punchline

Yep.

I&S is an over-the-top fictional cartoon the kids watch. Violence and cruelty against the family pet is very much real in-universe. Even if it was a Halloween episode and considered non-canon, it was still shocking and uncomfortable to watch.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are there even any halfway decent Itchy and Scratchy moments from the past 15-20 seasons?

does the movie count?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Junk posted:

i hated how mean spirited the show became.

It feels like this is just all "adult animation" of the last several years. The main exception being Bob's Burgers which kind of went in the opposite direction and sanded off any edge it once had.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

They've gone on the record it's more specifically a parody of Herman and Katnip, a T&K knockoff that really upped the ante for violence.

The Moon Monster posted:

It feels like this is just all "adult animation" of the last several years. The main exception being Bob's Burgers which kind of went in the opposite direction and sanded off any edge it once had.

It was definitely en vogue for the super mean spirited and edgy 00s and 10s, seems to have calmed down a bit in more recent years.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I do not wish for my cartoons to be particularly 'edgey' or 'wholesome', I only wish them to be funny. Unfortunately thay doesn't seem to be a huge consideration in most modern shows

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They've gone on the record it's more specifically a parody of Herman and Katnip, a T&K knockoff that really upped the ante for violence.

Oh god, I remember this. As a kid for whatever reason I saw Herman and Katnip before I ever saw T&J and so they were the "originals" in my mind for years

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What was the East European knock off version of Itchy and Scratchy?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Worker and Parasite

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
No I get it i actually really do hate it when parrots or birds in general are killed in cartoons as the "joke"

edit - newest American dad had 2 seagulls die but it was kind of funny.... hmmm

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 7, 2023

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

redshirt posted:

What was the East European knock off version of Itchy and Scratchy?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

what the hell was this?

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

what the hell was this?

A famous episode of Parasite and Worker.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Oh god, I remember this. As a kid for whatever reason I saw Herman and Katnip before I ever saw T&J and so they were the "originals" in my mind for years

I feel like I'm a pretty big cartoon nerd but I've literally never even heard of Herman and Katnip in any context aside from Itchy and Scratchy discussion. Where did this even air?

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders
https://www.palestinercs.org/en
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/
Lisa goes gaga is a good example of a bad episode but the nadir was Elon Musk paying to get Lisa Simpson to say nice things about him.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Plant MONSTER. posted:

No I get it i actually really do hate it when parrots or birds in general are killed in cartoons as the "joke"

edit - newest American dad had 2 seagulls die but it was kind of funny.... hmmm

AD has always had a thing about seagulls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwuifqutxaI

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Ahhh! Francine! Seagulls! This time they could drive!

I really don't like seeing animals get hurt but AD mostly does it in ways that manage to tickle me, like the suicidal lemur or when Stan's hacking his way through the jungle to rescue his CIA students

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

FireWorksWell posted:

Ahhh! Francine! Seagulls! This time they could drive!

I really don't like seeing animals get hurt but AD mostly does it in ways that manage to tickle me, like the suicidal lemur or when Stan's hacking his way through the jungle to rescue his CIA students

I don't like seeing animals get hurt either, but Stevearino juggling & eating cats' heads and Francine casually drowning an ortolan are some of my favorite American Dad bits.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't like seeing animals get hurt either, but Stevearino juggling & eating cats' heads and Francine casually drowning an ortolan are some of my favorite American Dad bits.

One of my favorites is cursed old Stan sliding down the mountain on that bull. I was choking the first time I saw that.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

SeANMcBAY posted:

One of my favorites is cursed old Stan sliding down the mountain on that bull. I was choking the first time I saw that.

Holy poo poo I'd forgotten about this when it came up on my last rewatch and it took me so long to stop laughing. The slow-mo berry chomp during the falling sequence was great too.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Yeah, I know I just made an effort-post stating I hate seeing animals hurt in The Simpsons, but there's this drat mountain goat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsiAUjlU4RY

Nobody intentionally harmed it.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I feel like they go on to do this same gag a few more times in the Golden Age, but this is good too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wry3GQGwq0

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Yeah, I know I just made an effort-post stating I hate seeing animals hurt in The Simpsons, but there's this drat mountain goat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsiAUjlU4RY

Nobody intentionally harmed it.

The goat's legs are so good in this clip

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

UP AND ADAM posted:

I feel like they go on to do this same gag a few more times in the Golden Age, but this is good too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wry3GQGwq0

So good. One of the best gags of the show's whole run.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel like I'm a pretty big cartoon nerd but I've literally never even heard of Herman and Katnip in any context aside from Itchy and Scratchy discussion. Where did this even air?

My pure guess is cheap cartoon compilations on VHS, or maybe they were packed in as a filler in tapes with Casper, the Friendly Ghost toons?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

FrumpleOrz posted:

The goat's legs are so good in this clip

:yeah:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I feel like wherever I saw them predated VHS, at least "in our house" VHS. Like I imagine they were the kind of thing the crappy network affiliate station would put on in the evenings and we'd watch them after the news or on a rainy Saturday or something.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

You Are A Werewolf posted:

The episode also ends with Mayor Quimby and Homer striking a deal so he can hide behind a homeless shelter facade and continue eating people, in this case the homeless population of Springfield. Nothing like joking that homeless people are expendable nobodies. Uggggggggghhhhhh.

somebody ought to build a town that works.

somebody did.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
To be fair, the town is run by a super villain. :v:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Junk posted:

i hated how mean spirited the show became.

one of the last straws for me was that episode where Lisa disguises herself as a male student at her own school, and as part of her initiation she has to hit Ralph, so she punches him and Ralph just starts crying and runs away. There was no joke, it was just fuckin mean for no reason and not in the way I was used to from the simpsons.

I mean, as far as last straws go it's no "Homer raped by a panda"

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

what the hell was this?

Hoch Hech!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1722685048623714344?s=61&t=0u0iPLgsrw9rb7UXErdBQA

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

No? More strangling!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s actually kinda funny. Good work.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Lisa records Homer strangling Bart and uploads it to TickTock or w/e is rhe bland name for the app. The video becomes a viral hit, on one hand starting a media discussion about domestic violence, on the other it attracts the kind of crowd who watch bum fights or stalk mentally ill people to harass them into public outbursts. Homer and Bart are into this for the ad revenue but when Marge decides it's enough, they fake Bart's death and wait one day for public to lose interest for next viral thrill, it being Comic's guy making terrible "wholesome" videos

The subplot is Milhouse dad admitting he was part of Jackass crew in the 00's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

laserghost posted:

Lisa records Homer strangling Bart and uploads it to TickTock or w/e is rhe bland name for the app. The video becomes a viral hit, on one hand starting a media discussion about domestic violence, on the other it attracts the kind of crowd who watch bum fights or stalk mentally ill people to harass them into public outbursts. Homer and Bart are into this for the ad revenue but when Marge decides it's enough, they fake Bart's death and wait one day for public to lose interest for next viral thrill, it being Comic's guy making terrible "wholesome" videos

The subplot is Milhouse dad admitting he was part of Jackass crew in the 00's

I 100% believe this is a real episode.