Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Also there is a major area in Wrath that has a gimmick where the way the camera is turned literally manipulates the environment. Turn the camera to the right, and an island floats closer you can walk onto it, but turn left and a building grows or shrinks. unfortunately I found the gimmick extremely tiresome and it killed my momentum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

marshmallow creep posted:

Also there is a major area in Wrath that has a gimmick where the way the camera is turned literally manipulates the environment. Turn the camera to the right, and an island floats closer you can walk onto it, but turn left and a building grows or shrinks. unfortunately I found the gimmick extremely tiresome and it killed my momentum.

This was a very cool gimmick that was very thematically appropriate for the area and neat looking but I also hated it. Thankfully it's not overused but adjusting to it was a bear.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Ytlaya posted:

SO2R - Is there anything stopping you from buying a bunch of iron, transmuting it into (insert higher quality gem), turning that into accessories, and selling said accessories for infinite money? I feel like I must be missing something in this process.

mostly that accessories don't sell for that much and even the higher level crafts have some duds (Necklace on Star Ruby, for example).

Depending on the characters you recruit, though, it's not a bad way of making money, (iron -> gold/diamond -> gold/lavish idols) but there's, like, so many ways of making money that you just kinda pick what you want to do and run with it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

marshmallow creep posted:

The other part of this area that kills the momentum is that it runs like absolute horrible dogshit. In the rest of the game I'm running 100+ FPS and in this area it struggles to maintain 60, sometimes dropping to around 30 when the camera is rotating around.

Great game but that one specific area loving sucks and if I could mod the entire area out I would.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ytlaya posted:

SO2R - Is there anything stopping you from buying a bunch of iron, transmuting it into (insert higher quality gem), turning that into accessories, and selling said accessories for infinite money? I feel like I must be missing something in this process.

It's also silly that you can make all these books that are seemingly able to get a bunch of skills to level 7 on people. There's so much goofy stuff you can do with all these systems. Even pick-pocketing seems to have. O downside, since you can simply craft ththis food that let's you do it for "free" twice, and you can just buy the ingredients at any general store.

Edit: Also, how do you use "fishy fragrance"? It's not in the bait menu and I can't use it from the item menu.

Armor doesn't sell for very much. If you REALLY want infinite money really early on, just masterchef seafood + fruit, eat the result, then spam cook seafood + fruit until you get nectar. It has a random chance (maybe like 1 in 30) to appear from certain masterchef combos, and sells for 130k.

I started a second play the other day and tried to take IC as far as I could after getting Celine, and you can essentially have infinite money, good weapons and armor, decent accessories. and a ton of skills at level 7 (if you can find a pet food from a goodie box to buy the pens, and more petfood) at that point if you just create anything and everything for 3 hours or so. Seems like you are gated by higher metals and machinery being limited.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I kinda like that I have absolutely no idea what Star Ocean 2's plot is, and only the vaguest notion of how it plays, but have heard a dozen ways to break it over your knee with skills and stuff like cooking.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
my first playthrough i am just chugging along and not breaking anything intentionally but playthrough #2 i am going to bend every rule to my will

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I just started but is there any reason not to be in private action mode? I only saw minor dialogue differences in the starting town.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

poe meater posted:

I just started but is there any reason not to be in private action mode? I only saw minor dialogue differences in the starting town.

Aside from removing the save point in town, there isn't really any reason in this version, no. In the old game, it actually removed people from your party, which made stuff like shopping inconvenient.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Morpheus posted:

I kinda like that I have absolutely no idea what Star Ocean 2's plot is, and only the vaguest notion of how it plays, but have heard a dozen ways to break it over your knee with skills and stuff like cooking.

this is largely because the plot and storytelling is perfunctory at best

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
You putter around in a generic fantasy world until it's time to go to disneyland.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ernest got quite the glow up. He just shreds shields now so I actually want to use him for a change.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Clarste posted:

You putter around in a generic fantasy world until it's time to go to disneyland.

God drat if that isn't the most concise way to summarize Star Ocean 2. Though it's pretty neat in a hosed up way that the people of Nede basically put themselves in a theme park version of their own world and convinced themselves it was good and fun, but you can tell everything feels so goddamn hollow.

You can summarize Star Ocean 1 that way, too, though less literally. Though instead of going to Disney you're hitting up a crappy regional theme park with only a handful of disappointing "rides."

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Crowetron posted:

Lunacid is really good. I cleared out the Accursed Tomb (at least I think I did. There might be more stuff in the mausoleum but I'm scared to go back in there) and found Vampire Hunter D's sword. Now I'm in some sort of blood ocean. I also found a VHS tape that I assumed was a cutesy reference to Paratropic but there's a bunch of tapes on the main menu so maybe it's more significant than I know yet.

Just beat it myself! Loved it, and will probably revisit to hunt down the stuff for the other endings.

I'll admit to wiki-ing some stuff, but, like any good, mystery-riddled game, I didn't feel like it took away from the experience.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Morpheus posted:

SO2 plot is 'there are bad people who want to do bad things, you have to stop them'

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

any of you duders played knights of the chalice 2 and can tell me what you thought of it. seems right up my alley but drat is it expensive

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Buck Wildman posted:

any of you duders played knights of the chalice 2 and can tell me what you thought of it. seems right up my alley but drat is it expensive

Did you play the first game? It's pretty much more of the same. It was hilariously over tuned when it first went to beta, but they added a starting area so the beginning of the game isn't impossible anymore.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

DrManiac posted:

Did you play the first game? It's pretty much more of the same. It was hilariously over tuned when it first went to beta, but they added a starting area so the beginning of the game isn't impossible anymore.

I did not, is it a contiguous story or is there some advantage to playing the first one beforehand?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
The plot of every star ocean is the same. Fantasy person meets scifi person, only for both to discover there is an even more scifi second chapter waiting for them. Often it turns out fantasy person was double ultra scifi person all along.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

yer a sci-fi harry

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The games are pretty much just pure D&D dungeon crawls created by a single grognard (think icewind dale compared to baldur's gate). They are pretty good if you just want to do that and can put up with low production value, but don't expect any real plot or role-playing.

I liked my time with the game, but $50 is pretty steep if you're expecting a proper crpg.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 7, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

started playing Octopath Traveler II.

It is very comfty.
Just has a really nice atmosphere and engaging enough battle system.

Does order matter? I started off with Throne

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 7, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

GateOfD posted:

It is very comfty.

Order does not matter except you can't remove your starter from your active party until you complete their quest line but even that does not matter. Its a beautiful game have fun :)

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Nothing's missable as far as I can remember, take your time and enjoy.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Have fun, travel around.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Don't worry about the second party fallling behind. There are a metric ton of passive skills and accessories that synergize and speed up leveling.

The game is mostly easy for RPG veterans ouitside of the bonus boss. He can be cheesed with a RNG-foolproof method, so the game should be a straightforward platinum.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

DrManiac posted:

The games are pretty much just pure D&D dungeon crawls created by a single grognard. They are pretty good if you just want to do that and can put up with low production value, but don't expect any real plot or role-playing.

I don't think that's particularly fair, given the games introduced the sort of 'split up the party and have private chats with them' system.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Don't worry about the second party fallling behind. There are a metric ton of passive skills and accessories that synergize and speed up leveling.

The game is mostly easy for RPG veterans ouitside of the bonus boss. He can be cheesed with a RNG-foolproof method, so the game should be a straightforward platinum.

In regards to the endings, apparently I'll need 15 out of 99. Are there permutations based on your main four party members in the final fight or something like that?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Leraika posted:

I don't think that's particularly fair, given the games introduced the sort of 'split up the party and have private chats with them' system.

e: misread

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

FireWorksWell posted:

In regards to the endings, apparently I'll need 15 out of 99. Are there permutations based on your main four party members in the final fight or something like that?

Star Ocean 2: You can craft books which sets affinity to low or high, but not max. They don't add points. Points are only added in PAs and Boss Fights, which are limited.

I'd recommend using these books when you get a new member.

I just beat the final boss, got 5 endings, then loaded up the save and tanked the bonds between party members, and fiought him twice more. There's a hierarchy where if say Claude has the same high affinity with two other members, the one higher up will always take precedence.

You don't have to get all endings on the one save file, its across saves.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 7, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Very helpful, thank you!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Star Ocean 2: You can craft books which sets affinity to low or high, but not max. They don't add points. Points are only added in PAs and Boss Fights, which are limited.

I'd recommend using these books when you get a new member.

I just beat the final boss, got 5 endings, then loaded up the save and tanked the bonds between party members, and fiought him twice more. There's a hierarchy where if say Claude has the same high affinity with two other members, the one higher up will always take precedence.

You don't have to get all endings on the one save file, its across saves.

iirc every 100 battles fought, regardless of boss status, gave everyone in the party +1 between each other in the ps1 version, but lol lmao doing it when you can just avoid enemies

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One shotting the green enemies makes levelling with the 1 xp items a lot quicker lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

GateOfD posted:

It is very comfty.

You chose... correctly.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I got Star Ocean First Departure and Divine Force on sale. Starting with First Departure, since I have a high tolerance/appreciation for old-school RPGs.

I love that they took one of the most cliché JRPG fetch quests - someone fell sick and the only cure is on top of a nearby mountain - and then subverted the heck out of it with starships, three extraplanetary factions, and the Guardian of Forever all at once.

Based on the chatter I'm hearing, I should expect very few other sci-fi elements for the bulk of the game, though. I do want to see how it all wraps up.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
is that a subversion. the trope is still the premise of the entire game

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Star Ocean 2 is a semi-remake of the first. The difference is that when you begin the second act, like Nede in 2, the game immediately ends. They bit off more than they could chew and only half the intended game could fit into a SNES cart.

Wouldn't be the only time where the second half evaporates in a JRPG...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The first star ocean game owns and hell so does the second one

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first SO game is spending 15 hours walking between three towns and then it ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

The first SO game is spending 15 hours walking between three towns and then it ends.

And then you go to planet Farget for 30 mins