Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm only an hour into the medium and holy poo poo this is good

One of my favourites from last year, the ending goes insanely hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Xiahou Dun posted:

Enh, filmed in the 70's at least and it's got George C Scott. That's plenty good enough to throw it on the pile. Thanks!

The Changeling loving rules, one of my favorite horror movies ever.

Some of my other 70s favorites that you may not have seen yet:

Martin; George Romero's vampire movie

The Night Stalker; the TV movie that launched the eventual TV show Kolchak: The Night Stalker

The Legend of Hell House; Roddy McDowall in a haunted house movie by Richard Matheson

The Crazies; Romero's virus outbreak movie (which really freaked me out when I rewatched it in 2021)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hollismason posted:

Alien looks like they got a handful of cum

What is cum but homemade goop

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

A Fancy Hat posted:

The Changeling loving rules, one of my favorite horror movies ever.

Some of my other 70s favorites that you may not have seen yet:

Martin; George Romero's vampire movie

The Night Stalker; the TV movie that launched the eventual TV show Kolchak: The Night Stalker

The Legend of Hell House; Roddy McDowall in a haunted house movie by Richard Matheson

The Crazies; Romero's virus outbreak movie (which really freaked me out when I rewatched it in 2021)

Non-Romero's added to the list! Thanks!

(I've seen all of Romero.)

Edit : Holy poo poo scrolling gangtag!

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 7, 2023

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'll take any chance to recommend anyone watch Duel, so you should absolutely watch Duel if you haven't.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I don't think anyone's saying he wasn't respected until recently, he was a very very respected actor and an Oscar winner. But he had that major lull in his career where he really seemed washed up and I think people had written him off. So making fun of him in Wicker Man and poking fun at all of the low budget trash he was appearing in was all part of that picture where the public had started to see him as a joke.

So when Mandy happened, I think that caused people to look back and be reminded about how good his career actually had been and how many of his bold acting choices actually were awesome and memorable. More of a reminder than a reevaluation.

I think people took notice again when he did some fun wacky stuff for the second Ghost Rider movie. Like riding around in skull make-up even when not filming.

Which I guess means that we have to put Crispin Glover in a Marvel movie. I vote Galactus.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Some solid lesserknown 70s flicks

The Shout (1978)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWJbPOgEkEM
An experimental electronic musician living with his wife in a small English village gets an unwelcome house guest that turns out to be a wizard. A wizard that can kill with just one shout.

A very eerie and mystical film with perfect sound design.

Who Can Kill a Child? (1976)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoKr3DbGBpo

A British couple on vacation find themselves trapped on a small Spanish island where all the adults have seemingly disappeared and the children are getting increasingly hostile.

The opening credits is what I assume is real newsreel footage of wars combined with statistics about the number of children killed in various 20th century conflicts and wars. Which is amazingly crass in a way that you only really get in the 70s but at the same time perfectly apt and really makes you see why the children would rise up and why we would have it coming.

Basically Children of the Corn except less Amish and more good.

Long Weekend (1978)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCvruylRDmM
The most obnoxious people in Australia go on a camping trip to try to salvage their failing marriage. There they continue to be dicks to not only each other but Mother Nature. That is to say until Mother Nature starts fighting back.

A "When Animals Attacks"-film that really works to make you hate the main characters before putting them through hell. Probably to make sure you're cheering for the animals attacking them.

Dead of Night AKA DEATHDREAM (1974)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPzkhRy3wLU
Andy Brooks returns home to his parents from Vietnam. They are delighted as he was previously reported as killed in action. However it soon becomes clear that Andy is not quite the same as when he left.

A forgotten gem that should probably be one of the most iconic horror films of the 70s but hardly anyone has seen it. A good companion piece with the previously mentioned Martin for two very different but very 70s vampire films.

Psychomania (1973)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa8zcFMRwxo
A gang of Satanic bikers join an occult suicide pact to ensure immortality in undeath.

One of the highlights of the film is a montage of teen suicides that get more ridicilus with each death until it's basically slapstick. The soundtrack is clashing mix of earnest 60s folk music and hard rock guitars, the crimes of the undead Satanic bikers are mostly minor hooliganism, and the costume design is amazing.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 7, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Some solid lesserknown 70s flicks

The Shout (1978)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWJbPOgEkEM
An experimental electronic musician living with his wife in a small English village gets an unwelcome house guest that turns out to be a wizard. A wizard that can kill with just one shout.

A very eerie and mystical film with perfect sound design.

Who Can Kill a Child? (1976)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoKr3DbGBpo

A British couple on vacation find themselves trapped on a small Spanish island where all the adults have seemingly disappeared and the children are getting increasingly hostile.

The opening credits is what I assume is real newsreel footage of wars combined with statistics about the number of children killed in various 20th century conflicts and wars. Which is amazingly crass in a way that you only really get in the 70s but at the same time perfectly apt and really makes you see why the children would rise up and why we would have it coming.

Basically Children of the Corn except less Amish and more good.

Long Weekend (1978)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCvruylRDmM
The most obnoxious people in Australia go on a camping trip to try to salvage their failing marriage. There they continue to be dicks to not only each other but Mother Nature. That is to say until Mother Nature starts fighting back.

A "When Animals Attacks"-film that really works to make you hate the main characters before putting them through hell. Probably to make sure you're cheering for the animals attacking them.

Andy Brooks returns home to his parents from Vietnam. They are delighted as he was previously reported as killed in action. However it soon becomes clear that Andy is not quite the same as when he left.

A forgotten gem that should probably be one of the most iconic horror films of the 70s but hardly anyone has seen it. A good companion piece with the previously mentioned Martin for two very different but very 70s vampire films.

Psychomania (1973)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa8zcFMRwxo
A gang of Satanic bikers join an occult suicide pact to ensure immortality in undeath.

One of the highlights of the film is a montage of teen suicides that get more ridicilus with each death until it's basically slapstick. The soundtrack is clashing mix of earnest 60s folk music and hard rock guitars, the crimes of the undead Satanic bikers are mostly minor hooliganism, and the costume design is amazing.

Yes, yes, yes, perfect. Thank you!

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I was rewatching It Follows today to celebrate the sequel announcement and after 10 minutes I did the scariest thing I could think of. I turned on my TVs motion smoothing nonsense. It's wild how much that actually improved my viewing experience.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Xiahou Dun posted:

Okay, horror crew. I think I'm recovered from the challenge and I'm back in a horror mood.

The 70's is a weakness of mine. I know some of the big names, but I want to more. Especially of the Let's Scare Jessica to Death-style vibes stuff. The kind of movie where the credits are 4 solid minutes of some shots of a barn while someone plays acoustic guitar.

Sette note in nero aka Seven notes in black aka The psychic. Imo the best Lucio Fulci film and criminally underseen.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Crumps Brother posted:

I was rewatching It Follows today to celebrate the sequel announcement and after 10 minutes I did the scariest thing I could think of. I turned on my TVs motion smoothing nonsense. It's wild how much that actually improved my viewing experience.

MODS???

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Psychomania is the most light-hearted depiction of suicide I've ever seen, a weird as hell movie that's worth watching if you know going in that it's so insensitive that it actually does become funny

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Crumps Brother posted:

Whenever someone does this, they should get the 'seven days' phone call from The Ring

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yes, yes, yes, perfect. Thank you!

I'll second 'The Shout' - I watched it for the horror challenge this year and had a ton to say about it, way more than made sense to cram into a little recap.

Also watched 'The Baby' and 'God Told Me To' this year, and loved both of those. I'd recommend 'Fascination' if you haven't seen it, and if you're feeling patient enough to get real weird with some slow-ish sci-fi horror, 'Phase IV'.

https://letterboxd.com/film/god-told-me-to/
https://letterboxd.com/film/the-baby/
https://letterboxd.com/film/fascination-1979/
https://letterboxd.com/film/phase-iv/

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Origami Dali posted:

Whenever someone does this, they should get the 'seven days' phone call from The Ring
90% of this movie is various slow pans over landscapes/scenery/whatever and that's pretty much the exact scenario where lovely motion smoothing isn't actually lovely. Without it the judder on the screen was driving me crazy. The movie is over and I've turned it back off so hopefully that's enough to stave off whatever curse I've given myself.

All in all, I'm definitely in the cautiously optimistic category for the sequel. It Follows is what really pushed me to watching horror movies again in the first place and I only heard about it because I was following Disasterpeace pretty closely at the time and it was his first big motion picture soundtrack. I took a few folks with me to the theater to help support it and came out thinking that I really need to hunt down more movies like it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Long Weekend is a favorite. I described it to a friend as The Birds by way of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

I think people took notice again when he did some fun wacky stuff for the second Ghost Rider movie. Like riding around in skull make-up even when not filming.

Which I guess means that we have to put Crispin Glover in a Marvel movie. I vote Galactus.

I want to say the meme-ification of Cage started when someone put a supercut of his weird inflections from “Deadfall” and “Vampire’s Kiss” on YouTube. Stuff like his character sobbing and saying “boo HOO! boo HOO!”

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Okay, horror crew. I think I'm recovered from the challenge and I'm back in a horror mood.

The 70's is a weakness of mine. I know some of the big names, but I want to more. Especially of the Let's Scare Jessica to Death-style vibes stuff. The kind of movie where the credits are 4 solid minutes of some shots of a barn while someone plays acoustic guitar.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/burnt-offerings

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Splint Chesthair posted:

I want to say the meme-ification of Cage started when someone put a supercut of his weird inflections from “Deadfall” and “Vampire’s Kiss” on YouTube. Stuff like his character sobbing and saying “boo HOO! boo HOO!”

Best video of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zySHepF04c

But no the meme cage was before this. Idk it existed around early ytmnd time. Mostly with scenes from Face Off

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Splint Chesthair posted:

it was wicker man that really did it

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Dark Night Of The Scarecrow is difficult to recommend. Too much of it is from the perspective of the miserable cunts who murdered a disabled dude, and one of them is even a nonce.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Disposable Scud posted:

Dark Night Of The Scarecrow is difficult to recommend. Too much of it is from the perspective of the miserable cunts who murdered a disabled dude, and one of them is even a nonce.

Ah, but the sweet sweet comeuppance.

I will recommend it!

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Zwabu posted:

I will recommend it!

It is definitely satisfying in the end but it was a rough watch for me. Poor Bubba.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Plus, the old lady in Dark Night of the Scarecrow is a real one.

In fact, I think a cool twist if the film was ever remade would be for the old lady to have caused the scarecrow to become animated through some witchcraft instead of it just spontaneously happening through revenge ghost activity.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Zwabu posted:

I will recommend it!

It's great schadenfreude and I think at some time horror fans forgot that sometimes you don't have to like the main characters. I love horrors that rip apart the main characters through their own personality faults.

Disposable Scud posted:

It is definitely satisfying in the end but it was a rough watch for me. Poor Bubba.

That pissed me off so much it wasn't fair and sometimes you should be allowed to step into a film and stop people

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

For me that's the appeal of it - it's a tragedy that sets it off, and that makes the kills so satisfying. It's a tale of revenge. It's nice that it stares real injustice in the face and then it's nice to allow oneself the dark fantasy of "what if the prejudiced sons of bitches who hurt you got crushed with a whole bunch of grain".

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

Deathdream rules, it was my “Staff Pick” for the previous horror thread.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Phy posted:

I don't feel like I ever had a disrespect for Cage but I was definitely cracking jokes about how it isn't a Nick Cage movie until he flips the gently caress out (and/or goes to Vegas) as early as Face/Off

Like Jake Gyllenhaal, i watched Covenant and it became apparent half way through why they cast him.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Phy posted:

I don't feel like I ever had a disrespect for Cage but I was definitely cracking jokes about how it isn't a Nick Cage movie until he flips the gently caress out (and/or goes to Vegas) as early as Face/Off

Leaving Las Vegas supremacy

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Xiahou Dun posted:

Skipping over stuff I'm sure you've already seen, my top-rated '70s horror film is Alice, Sweet Alice. Don't want to tell you anything going into it except that you probably won't dig it if Catholicism is part of your personal identity, and that no cats were actually harmed in the making of it. Stepping down slightly from there, there's Shanks, which stars Marcel Marceau as a deaf-mute puppeteer whose revenge on his hateful family gets a bit out of hand; Hotel Fear, which is almost more of an Italian drama than a horror, with WWII as a backdrop; Hannah, Queen of the Vampires, which is both deliriously 1970s and deliriously British; Poor Pretty Eddie, if backwoods Americans scare you, this will be a nightmare; and Hatchet for the Honeymoon, which is Mario Bava in 1970 playing with beautiful visuals and a first-person psychosexual mental break.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

computer angel posted:

Leaving Las Vegas supremacy

It's Moonstruck for me.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Xiahou Dun posted:

Picnic at Hanging Rock -> gave me goosebumps, very spooky
Short Night of Glass Dolls/Who Saw Her Die -> More venice giallos, the first is one of the best giallos period, the second as an absolutely banging soundtrack
Images (1972) -> many vibes to be had here
The Demoniacs -> Jean Rollin so rapey as hell but it also slaps

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Xiahou Dun posted:

If you haven't seen Penda's Fen now is the perfect time

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm only an hour into the medium and holy poo poo this is good

Just wanna hear your reaction to the end, now.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The best horror film of the 1970s is Legend Of Dinosaurs And Monster Birds.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The Hausu Usher posted:

Just wanna hear your reaction to the end, now.

Great escalation. the shot where mink is hiding under the stairs and slowly creeps out after the mom goes up them was one of my favorite moments. when nim died I knew they were completely hosed lol that poor baby it got way more wild than I expected.

I gave it a 4/5. The whole movie looks really good. I like how it switched to stationary cameras for the house stuff leading up to the ritual. I also thought the end reveal of what causes nims death was great.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Great escalation. the shot where mink is hiding under the stairs and slowly creeps out after the mom goes up them was one of my favorite moments. when nim died I knew they were completely hosed lol that poor baby it got way more wild than I expected.

I gave it a 4/5. The whole movie looks really good. I like how it switched to stationary cameras for the house stuff leading up to the ritual. I also thought the end reveal of what causes nims death was great.
yeah, when Nim died it's such an, okay everyone is completely hosed moment. great sense of powerlessness

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yesssss. I love how the ending just hits the gas and does not let up for a solid half hour or so

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The best horror film of the 1970s is Legend Of Dinosaurs And Monster Birds.

Gargoyles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Season of the Witch the original well I guess a cult did everything whatever movie