Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I always thought Bennyy lines in the intro were great, but everything after that was weirdly flat.

I imagine the intro was most straightforward and fun for an experienced actor to do. After that, RPG voice acting seems like a purgatory of recording multiple takes of "let's meet in the presidential suite" for endless, subtly different situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

oh jay posted:

I imagine the intro was most straightforward and fun for an experienced actor to do. After that, RPG voice acting seems like a purgatory of recording multiple takes of "let's meet in the presidential suite" for endless, subtly different situations.

Yeah, without a good director I would imagine it would be really hard for actors to keep track of exactly what's going on with their character in a more indepth rpg. Some characters would be easier, as they never really develop but some i'd imagine would be hard as hell if their a well rounded character with lots of development.

Must say the bit I like the most about his character if you speak to him and he knows he's going to die, he'll just straight up give you his plans and tell you, gently caress you see this through, even if its partly your fault he's in the situation.

I like that he's a back stabbing bastard, but he doesn't seem to hold a grudge. There's just those let details like that, that give him a bit more depth than a generic weaselly character.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Benny doesn't want House to run Vegas, so he tries to put himself in charge. If you get him cornered, he'd still rather see you in charge instead of Mr. House.

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, without a good director I would imagine it would be really hard for actors to keep track of exactly what's going on with their character in a more indepth rpg. Some characters would be easier, as they never really develop but some i'd imagine would be hard as hell if their a well rounded character with lots of development.

Danny Trejo said he doesn't remember his role as Raul, and described it as "I sat in a studio one day and read a bunch of lines into a mic."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

Benny doesn't want House to run Vegas, so he tries to put himself in charge. If you get him cornered, he'd still rather see you in charge instead of Mr. House.

Danny Trejo said he doesn't remember his role as Raul, and described it as "I sat in a studio one day and read a bunch of lines into a mic."

If he's already betrayed one boss there's no problem in betraying two, I don't think we should see that as a sign of favoritism towards a non House regime as much as much as a move to save his skin long enough to outmaneuver you instead of House. Consider if he just wanted House gone a trip with the chip to the NCR would be all it took.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gaius Marius posted:

If he's already betrayed one boss there's no problem in betraying two, I don't think we should see that as a sign of favoritism towards a non House regime as much as much as a move to save his skin long enough to outmaneuver you instead of House. Consider if he just wanted House gone a trip with the chip to the NCR would be all it took.

I don't remember (because I usually kill him in the Tops), but I think even after he's captured and doomed, Benny is still willing to explain his plan to hijack House's army of robots.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, so many of the VAs seem to have good things to say in the documentary, but I guess normally they would. I imagine they filmed most of these things on the day they were in the studio. There's not really any shame in actors having less memories of these things years and years after the fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob3lguLHKrE

Matthew Perry, seemingly apropos of nothing, went on Ellen to talk about how much he loved Fallout 3, so that's something extra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWPYmQJ7Ru4&t=501s

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I can't speak to how Obsidian handled it specifically, but it is worth remembering that the crux of the voice actors' strike years back was over the myriad ways studios would do everything in their power to give the actors the least amount of context possible (usually not even the name of the game they're voicing for) and just generally work them to the bone and treat them as disposable. It's very obvious that proper voice direction was and probably still is depressingly uncommon as well.

I assume Hollywood celebs get slightly better treatment (see Patrick Stewart's personal dossier on the entire life and times of Uriel Septim) but at the same time being a good on-camera actor doesn't instantly translate to being a good voice actor. Plus, of course, when you do rope in a big name that instantly puts more limitations on how long you're able to (or can afford to) occupy their time with endless recording sessions.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

was it oblivion where they recorded all the lines in alphabetical order? or is that fake?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

watho posted:

was it oblivion where they recorded all the lines in alphabetical order? or is that fake?

I can't remember, but they Oblivion definitely is the one where the VO starts her line, then at the end says, "so sorry that wasn't quite right, I'll do that again", and then she says it again correcting what she thought she got wrong.

It's been what 16-17 years and they still haven't fixed that audio file! Like come on!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

watho posted:

It's real. It's something we actually learned directly from Bethesda too.

Caidin posted:

Well be that as it may it wouldn't have hurt my feelings if he'd try to sound a little more into it when you have sex with him.

You're a real ding-a-ding broad. Nice charlies too.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Chamale posted:

He's extremely bad during the epilogue slides.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

watho posted:

I've looked this up before and the source is from an article where a dev talks about how one time after leaving a hell shift in the recording room, he'd noticed that in the script they'd been using, all the lines were in alphabetical order. At the time I read it I'd been looking it up to confirm the "alphabetical order script" rumor and took it as confirmation of that, but in hindsight I've realized this was meant as a tidbit about a weird thing that happened at work once rather than a description of their standard voice acting practice. Like somebody had accidentally sorted the lines before printing them out and handing them to the voice actor and everyone had been too out of it to notice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

John Murdoch posted:

I can't speak to how Obsidian handled it specifically, but it is worth remembering that the crux of the voice actors' strike years back was over the myriad ways studios would do everything in their power to give the actors the least amount of context possible (usually not even the name of the game they're voicing for) and just generally work them to the bone and treat them as disposable. It's very obvious that proper voice direction was and probably still is depressingly uncommon as well.

I assume Hollywood celebs get slightly better treatment (see Patrick Stewart's personal dossier on the entire life and times of Uriel Septim) but at the same time being a good on-camera actor doesn't instantly translate to being a good voice actor. Plus, of course, when you do rope in a big name that instantly puts more limitations on how long you're able to (or can afford to) occupy their time with endless recording sessions.

Yeah, even if Perry was doing it at scale out of love of the series, he probably didn't have a ton of time available to record during.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

I've looked this up before and the source is from an article where a dev talks about how one time after leaving a hell shift in the recording room, he'd noticed that in the script they'd been using, all the lines were in alphabetical order. At the time I read it I'd been looking it up to confirm the "alphabetical order script" rumor and took it as confirmation of that, but in hindsight I've realized this was meant as a tidbit about a weird thing that happened at work once rather than a description of their standard voice acting practice. Like somebody had accidentally sorted the lines before printing them out and handing them to the voice actor and everyone had been too out of it to notice.

This is the source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3193ZsxChSc

There is no indication from how Mark Lampert talks about it that this is just the way the script was organized during a single session. In fact, he stresses that they simply didn't have a good way to organize the script based on quests at the time.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I remember reading that Ron Perlman is just as apathetic about Fallout. I think it was a reddit AMA or something and he was like "I don't even know what Fallout is"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nobody Interesting posted:

I remember reading that Ron Perlman is just as apathetic about Fallout. I think it was a reddit AMA or something and he was like "I don't even know what Fallout is"

Sometimes a job is just a job. I don't need Perlman to be a fan of the franchise, his opening monologues are still iconic.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Alhazred posted:

Sometimes a job is just a job. I don't need Perlman to be a fan of the franchise, his opening monologues are still iconic.

Totally, but if he was as passionate about Fallout as he is about Hellboy he'd be rocking up to children's hospitals in NCR ranger amour and it'd be hilarious.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I cringe every time I hear the fallout 1 intro and it says humanity fought over "the resources that could be acquired" instead of just saying they fought over resources

like dang that's terrible writing, it took me RIGHT OUT

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The details of the opening narrations are trivial and pointless. The reasons, as always, purely human ones.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, as an actor, he wasn't exactly given a lot to chew on with the series. Even in the Fallout: New Vegas behind the scenes you can tell he doesn't give a poo poo, his line sounds like a placeholder "it's nice to do... this same character... for this many installments".

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

The line about Hitler turning Germany into an economic superpower is ahistorical and borderline apologetic about fascism. The worst part of the intro, fight me. :colbert:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

chadbear posted:

The line about Hitler turning Germany into an economic superpower is ahistorical and borderline apologetic about fascism. The worst part of the intro, fight me. :colbert:

yeah also very stupid

like it was written by a 14 year old boy

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

chadbear posted:

This line is gold though:
Humanity was almost extinguished, their spirits becoming part of the background radiation that blanketed the earth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Totally, but if he was as passionate about Fallout as he is about Hellboy he'd be rocking up to children's hospitals in NCR ranger amour and it'd be hilarious.

Is he actually passionate about Hellboy or is he just passionate about making kids in a hospital happy?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Alhazred posted:

This line is gold though:
Humanity was almost extinguished, their spirits becoming part of the background radiation that blanketed the earth.

That's part of the Fallout 2 intro, not Fallout 1.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Air Skwirl posted:

Is he actually passionate about Hellboy or is he just passionate about making kids in a hospital happy?

Do you see him dressing up as a warrior of Caesar for the kids??

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hi kids, it's me, Ron the Narrator, the placeholder character used to trigger the scripts for the opening and closing sequence of Fallout!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Do you see him dressing up as a warrior of Caesar for the kids??

Do kids want to see a warrior of Caesar instead of Hellboy? Like, Alec Guinnes loving hated playing Obi-Wan Kenobi, but if he was doing a children's charity thing in 1982 he would probably be willing to dress as that instead of George Smiley.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hi kids, let me tell you about nuclear war and how Hitler restored war-torn Germany

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

Like, Alec Guinnes loving hated playing Obi-Wan Kenobi, but if he was doing a children's charity thing in 1982 he would probably be willing to dress as that instead of George Smiley.

I don't think the man who bragged about making a twelve year old kid cry would do that.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Alhazred posted:

I don't think the man who bragged about making a twelve year old kid cry would do that.

genuine class

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

chadbear posted:

Obviously it's in-character from the Fallout timeline where America eventually became convinced they fought on the wrong side of the European war

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I don't think Guinness hated Star Wars or made any children cry. he asked the kid who watched Star Wars all the time to try watching a different movie and see what he thought of it. grown-up kid in question wrote a piece about it, how he wasn't upset or offended, and how the story later turned into a snobby actor bullying an innocent nerd

can't imagine why that got passed around the internet so much

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The flipside of the vid I posted a month or two ago. .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnxgZoRUs44

I love these.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Haven’t played NV in 10 years but just got a MacBook and set up a Windows partition to boot into. Bought FNV from GOG and man it’s good to be back again

Finished up Goodsprings quests and ready to head to Primm

Playing a boring guns/speech/science character yet again

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Is there ever an in-game explanation of how mini-nukes work? It's such a ludicrous concept that you're just expected to accept as a player. I've only played Fallout 3, NV and 4, but I don't remember either of them mentioning mini-nukes even as an aside. They're just a thing that exists.

I'm about to be wrapping up Lonesome Road and the whole concept of detonating (pre-war, undetonated) warheads to clear up debris is even more weird. These warheads are big as a house, and supposedly came out of ICBM, yet somehow when I blow one up from 60 yards away I take no damage, and neither do the Marked Men standing next to it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Is there ever an in-game explanation of how mini-nukes work? It's such a ludicrous concept that you're just expected to accept as a player. I've only played Fallout 3, NV and 4, but I don't remember either of them mentioning mini-nukes even as an aside. They're just a thing that exists.

I'm about to be wrapping up Lonesome Road and the whole concept of detonating (pre-war, undetonated) warheads to clear up debris is even more weird. These warheads are big as a house, and supposedly came out of ICBM, yet somehow when I blow one up from 60 yards away I take no damage, and neither do the Marked Men standing next to it.

fort strong in FO4 has some terminal entries about the development of the fat man and t51 power armor

obviously it doesn't actually try to make sense it's just a bunch of jokes

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Hypothetically, a pure fusion bomb would be scaleable to any size, and produce an oversized explosion relative to conventional explosives.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Presumably the same way that the IRL Davy Crockett and various nuclear artillery shells worked, just in a slightly different form factor.

quote:

You're heating up the conventional explosives in them until they detonate without the proper timing for it to go critical. It doesn't explain the lack of blast being so small that it does nothing to nearby enemies, but explosions in general are very weak in Fallout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Pretty much all post-Little Boy nuclear weapons have been implosion designs, in which conventional explosives are placed around a sphere of nuclear material (mostly plutonium, with a few other elements tossed in). To set off the nuke, the conventional explosives have to be set off at exactly the right time to properly compress the nuclear material to begin the fission process, otherwise you'll just get a regular explosion with a whole bunch of radioactive chunks getting blown around. This is still insanely bad and every time it's happened it's been a huge fuckup that has required a massive cleanup, but it's obviously not nearly as destructive as the actual nuclear detonation would be. So in the case of Lonesome Road, you're not setting off any nuclear detonations, just highly radioactive and toxic conventional ones :mil101: