Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Equeen posted:

Why are still dealing with these bullshit posters when Israel made it very clear they don’t give a gently caress about the hostages. In any other situation, the idea of bombing the building your loved ones are possibly being held hostage in would be considered loving insane.

Noticing this is anti-semitism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backcountry
Jan 16, 2009

hey mom its 420 posted:

as i slowly shrink and transform into a copy of Euro Truck Simulator 2

Euro Truck Simulator (and ATS) is a good game

Backcountry
Jan 16, 2009
They should make a Palestinian Truck Simulator where you run to pick up wounded then dodge IDF missle attacks as you make your way back to the hospital which may or may not be there anymore.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

hey mom its 420 posted:

at this point?

I drove about an hour in NJ yesterday and along the way I saw THREE billboards along the way with those same kind of posters. That is the big propaganda push.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Anyway, it looks like the battalion they are reactivating are older Merkava 3s from at least the early 00s, I haven't seen evidence it uses trophy but the fact they are starting to dip a bit lower to use armor this early isn't that great.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Backcountry posted:

Euro Truck Simulator (and ATS) is a good game

trap sprung. german spotted

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Backcountry posted:

They should make a Palestinian Truck Simulator where you run to pick up wounded then dodge IDF missle attacks as you make your way back to the hospital which may or may not be there anymore.

Homeless Friend posted:

driving a palestian ambulance and theres 6 stars of david at the top left of my vision

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Ardennes posted:

Anyway, it looks like the battalion they are reactivating are older Merkava 3s from at least the early 00s, I haven't seen evidence it uses trophy but the fact they are starting to dip a bit lower to use armor this early isn't that great.

Israelis are realizing that their good stuff is getting popped, so they're going to cycle in the mothballs to tank the hits.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

All the big names were there; Two-Ton Tony, The Dangerous Sniper, Mr. Hot And Ready, Drives Tank Best, Winded Fatass, and Hospital Bomber. The best of the best of Israeli society, all ready to kick Hamas rear end. They were dead within 8 hours.

still thinkin bout this post

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

okay I'm just going to say it: what reason do we have to believe that Hamas has more than a handful of hostages, if that?

if they have none, they have no leverage and no way to make that known to the world, and Israel can claim that they do in order to further their war

how many can there possibly be? and why would you hold hostages to begin with? it makes no sense in that kind of attack.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

mdemone posted:

okay I'm just going to say it: what reason do we have to believe that Hamas has more than a handful of hostages, if that?

if they have none, they have no leverage and no way to make that known to the world.

how many can there possibly be? and why would you hold hostages to begin with? it makes no sense in that kind of attack.

they thought maybe israel wouldn't just bomb their own hostages

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

mdemone posted:

if they have none, they have no leverage and no way to make that known to the world, and Israel can claim that they do in order to further their war

At least 50% of these hostages were killed by the IDF on Oct 7

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Hamas Hostage Truth

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Have you guys heard about this Israel country? Sounds like a huge piece of poo poo

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sherbert Hoover posted:

they thought maybe israel wouldn't just bomb their own hostages

but taking hostages was never going to be a political lever, they definitely knew that

I don't think there were ever more than a few. everyone else from 10/7 is dead, either by Hamas or IDF tanks.

and now that doesn't matter because the war machine can say they're the reason to fight on

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

They absolutely have more than a few. I'm sure they were hoping to force concessions from Israel to return the hostages. They probably intended to grab a handful in the October attack but it was just wildly more successful than they expected.

Hamas (and the rest of the world) didn't expect Israel to apply their Samson Policy for nukes to a bunch of hostages too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

They absolutely have more than a few. I'm sure they were hoping to force concessions from Israel to return the hostages. They probably intended to grab a handful in the October attack but it was just wildly more successful than they expected.

Hamas (and the rest of the world) didn't expect Israel to apply their Samson Policy for nukes to a bunch of hostages too.

hannibal directive please get the psycho nazi zionisms correct

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

It’s a Merkava, Micheal, what could it cost, $10?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think if that were the case they would have given up the hostages by now, even in return for nothing. they're getting slaughtered and they can't stop it whether or not there are hostages, and keeping hostages is a drain on resources.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
cannonball directive sounds kind of dangerous, maybe they should be careful with that one

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Have you guys heard about this Israel country? Sounds like a huge piece of poo poo

there is no such country as “Israel”

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

mdemone posted:

I think the whole idea with the hostage taking was to convince Israel to release their political prisoners in essentially a prisoner exchange. Israel has something like 6000 Palestinian prisoners, so I can certainly understand if the Hamas operation assumed "the more the better" wrt hostage taking. There's also some evidence that the operation on Oct 7th was much more successful than anticipated so they probably ended up with more hostages than they initially expected.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Wedge Regret

Equeen posted:

Why are still dealing with these bullshit posters when Israel made it very clear they don’t give a gently caress about the hostages. In any other situation, the idea of bombing the building your loved ones are possibly being held hostage in would be considered loving insane.

It's to continuously remind people why they are carrying out the genocide OP. Also to throw flak for people tearing it down.

Anything that distracts from the actual conversation of "why the gently caress are you doing all these war crimes and genocide?"

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

In my front office I have displayed the posters of the innocent Israelis kidnapped by Hamas.

They will stay up until every single person has been blown up by the IDF.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

mdemone posted:

and why would you hold hostages to begin with? it makes no sense in that kind of attack.

they'd take hostages to get Israel to release the thousands of Palestinian prisoners held by Israel, as they did before with Gilad Shalit who - a single soldier - was exchanged for more than a thousand prisoners himself. this is also why Israel tries so hard not to kill anyone it thinks is being taken prisoner, they don't want to be forced into that position by public demand to get hostages back

it seems that Hamas didn't expect the October 7th operations to be as wildly successful as they were, so they ended up with more hostages (and more damage done) than they'd planned for. but while there's public Israeli demand to rescue the hostages the state and military don't give a gently caress and are only using them as a fig leaf for the bombing and massacre

Hamas have said that something like 60 of the hostages have been killed in the bombing so far

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bobtheconqueror posted:

I think the whole idea with the hostage taking was to convince Israel to release their political prisoners in essentially a prisoner exchange. Israel has something like 6000 Palestinian prisoners, so I can certainly understand if the Hamas operation assumed "the more the better" wrt hostage taking.

okay I can see that. I still think they'd have to be crazy to hold a large number of people for an indeterminate amount of time while getting bombed to hell and back.

this whole thing stinks, I tell ya

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

I think if that were the case they would have given up the hostages by now, even in return for nothing. they're getting slaughtered and they can't stop it whether or not there are hostages, and keeping hostages is a drain on resources.

wow, source?

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Israel naming their tanks after gods magic chariot and then getting them all blown up because they refuse to screen with infantry feels like a metaphor for something,

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

John Charity Spring posted:

they'd take hostages to get Israel to release the thousands of Palestinian prisoners held by Israel, as they did before with Gilad Shalit who - a single soldier - was exchanged for more than a thousand prisoners himself.

Hamas have said that something like 60 of the hostages have been killed in the bombing so far

interesting, thank you. if this is the case then Hamas, to use a technical term, has hosed Up Their Calculations.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

apatheticman posted:

It's to continuously remind people why they are carrying out the genocide OP. Also to throw flak for people tearing it down.

Anything that distracts from the actual conversation of "why the gently caress are you doing all these war crimes and genocide?"

Someone I know decided not to remove them (to avoid having to deal with someone screaming at them for not caring about children), and instead add pages and pages of the names of deceased Palestinians kids around them. From what he showed me, it also works really well visually. I can get behind that.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I have strong evidence (Roblox footage) that there is a Hamas base under John Fetterman's office

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

mdemone posted:

syq

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Real hurthling! posted:

hannibal directive please get the psycho nazi zionisms correct

Ah I guess that do have that. Though it's supposed to be specifically for negotiating with their enemies for the return of soldiers, not civilians.

Here they just said "gently caress it" and blew up their own civilians along with Palestinian ones to get at anyone they are claiming is Hamas.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don't think there was anything wrong with Israel's older generation of tanks, particularly the ones based on the M-60 and Centurion.

Merkava was, imo, not designed to be a better tank per se, but designed to be one compatible with the British embargo on Chieftain, and later, to have as few casualties make the papers as possible during Lebanon.

If they're taking the older tanks out of storage, they'll have the same problems, but I don't think they will be any worse.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't think there was anything wrong with Israel's older generation of tanks, particularly the ones based on the M-60 and Centurion.

Merkava was, imo, not designed to be a better tank per se, but designed to be one compatible with the British embargo on Chieftain, and later, to have as few casualties make the papers as possible during Lebanon.

If they're taking the older tanks out of storage, they'll have the same problems, but I don't think they will be any worse.

"but where's the touchscreen?"

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

mdemone posted:

okay I can see that. I still think they'd have to be crazy to hold a large number of people for an indeterminate amount of time while getting bombed to hell and back.

this whole thing stinks, I tell ya

Well, here's the thing; if Hamas releases the hostages, considering the IDF's behavior so far, how can Hamas assure their safety in being returned? What's to keep the IDF from bombing them and then blaming it on Hamas? Better to keep their potential leverage and keep the hostages relatively safe in the tunnel system.

Also, while I don't think Hamas anticipated or appreciates the sheer extent of Israel's attempted genocide, Hamas doesn't appear to be losing militarily, especially on the ground. There's no guarantee that Hamas giving up their leverage by returning the hostages early would stop Israel's aggression, so it's better for them to keep the hostages as a pressure point for an eventual ceasefire or prisoner exchange.

Edit: As far as I'm aware, Israel at no point has claimed that seeing the hostages returned is their primary objective or would represent a condition of ending the conflict, and in fact have said the opposite, that their objective is to eliminate Hamas and the hostages are a secondary concern.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The protection on them probably is going to be somewhat worse, and it does create more ambiguity as far as trophy.

If they took out older tanks and started protecting them with infantry, it would be one thing but if they are just doing the same tactics without trophy and worse protection. It seems like it would be a downgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Popoto posted:

Someone I know decided not to remove them (to avoid having to deal with someone screaming at them for not caring about children), and instead add pages and pages of the names of deceased Palestinians kids around them. From what he showed me, it also works really well visually. I can get behind that.

this feels like an even stronger statement tbh, and it's harder for them to whine about it (they will anyway though)