Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gorson posted:

Mark is just trying to ride the wave of anti-Counsell sentiment to draw heat away from himself he's completely full of poo poo here.

Not giving Counsell a Joe Torre after four rings and six World Series appearances contract is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

zoux posted:

The only bunting I want to see at a major league baseball game

Fun fact, Dusty Baker signed his first pro baseball contract closer to this than to today

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Inspector_666 posted:

Given the examples, it seems like he's specifically talking about a 300m number? I wonder what the question was.

Only one team reaches that 300m threshold so it's either a non answer or referring to not signing free agents to massive deals (which he's right about the Astros on but their payroll is still high)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1722014316247793948

The arrogance the yankees display in complete opposition to the results on the field is pretty funny. Reminds me of when Boone said "the league caught up with them" after they got loving rinced easily in the playoffs again

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://x.com/snyyankees/status/1722015706554798095?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

He literally needs to be fired lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

"No, that's bullshit! We are not a modern baseball organization, we're still stuck in the stone age and we like it that way! Anyway more bunts next year, we're gonna do great!"

Bragging about having the smallest analytics department in your division in TYOOL 2023 is awesome, I hope Cashman has that job for another 30 years.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

He wants to argue how analytically driven they are while the team is just dogshit.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

more of this hell yeah!

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/bnicholsonsmith/status/1722022014943404213

Back to having no loving hope about how this team performs next season because all the reasons of poo poo play are returning.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Brian Cashman is my favorite GM.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I refuse to believe the Yankees don’t have a robust analytics department, but Cashman is probably going hard on associating the team’s current, dogshit performance with a lack of analytics so that they can turn around and hire a couple quant guys this winter instead of making any big offseason movies and sell the fans on it being a fresh start.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bawfuls posted:

more of this hell yeah!

Just have him bunt every at bat and go for the single season record

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dinosaurs! posted:

I refuse to believe the Yankees don’t have a robust analytics department, but Cashman is probably going hard on associating the team’s current, dogshit performance with a lack of analytics so that they can turn around and hire a couple quant guys this winter instead of making any big offseason movies and sell the fans on it being a fresh start.

They definitely have a robust one. He's just trying to placate WFAN callers who are now going to mad that the Yankees don't use analytics.

EDIT: People who really hew to everything Cashman and Hal say and get all worked up about it is a wild way to go through life, dudes are just up there talking gibberish 99% of the time.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 8, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Cashman has started to say more and more unhinged poo poo in the last few years. Before that he talked and talked and talked and pretty much said nothing. Not sure what i prefer.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah you're at least one of the top 25 or so baseball teams in the world!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mcmagic posted:

Cashman has started to say more and more unhinged poo poo in the last few years. Before that he talked and talked and talked and pretty much said nothing. Not sure what i prefer.
I mean if you knew there was no way you get fired then why not?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Is that from the onion?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

No Safe Word posted:

Yeah you're at least one of the top 25 or so baseball teams in the world!

Idk some of those WBC teams were stacked.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Cashman is just saying that poo poo to push back on the people who call them entirely analytical driven

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Presumably he’s not lying about the analytics department headcount being the smallest in their division, regardless of his motivation for saying so publicly

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Holy poo poo this ones a winner though

https://x.com/TalkinYanks/status/1722021189126672637?s=20

Gallo didn't make the twins postseason roster and was awful for the Dodgers, he's about to be out of baseball. Gray got better as soon as he left NY because they way they were telling him to pitch was completely backwards from what he should have been doing.

This is not the defense he thinks it is at all :lol:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

No, stupid. Dig up!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So far this is the greatest Yankees offseason ever

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Cashman is just saying that poo poo to push back on the people who call them entirely analytical driven

It's completely shitbrained to care about how analytics driven they are. You should care if they make good moves or not and if their players are developed well or not.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Holy poo poo this ones a winner though

https://x.com/TalkinYanks/status/1722021189126672637?s=20

Gallo didn't make the twins postseason roster and was awful for the Dodgers, he's about to be out of baseball. Gray got better as soon as he left NY because they way they were telling him to pitch was completely backwards from what he should have been doing.

This is not the defense he thinks it is at all :lol:

LOL he traded for Gallo because an piece of poo poo player they were starting every day, Odor, told them too.

He's soooooooooooooooooooooo wrapped up in defending his record man. It's like trump running the 2024 election on how people were unfair to him in 2020. There is no actual path forward, just plugging holes.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I remain convinced that the Yankees permanently broke Joey Gallo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

You don't have to stay in the same job for 30 years. Sometimes it's cool to try to do something else.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Cashman trolling the entirety of baseball cause he's unfireable is really funny

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Cashman's player rating sheet has two columns, grit and TWTW.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No. of internal dogs ____________

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I remain convinced that the Yankees permanently broke Joey Gallo.

Frazier, too.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Hal simultaneously saying that the Yankee's spending is at a sufficient level but (according to Buster) simultaneously waving $25 million per year at a player who has never thrown an MLB baseball professionally is maddening. The former point is completely true; they do spend enough money that they should be able to complete every single year, but the idea that the priority this offseason is acquiring more starting pitching is just...no. You are going to give back half of the $50 million in (self-imposed) cap space you cleared this offseason to an unknown pitcher? Admittedly he has tremendous upside, but Yamamoto could equally likely be the next Kei Igawa.

We. Need. More. Hitting.

Sidebar: Everyone on an MLB roster should be able to lay down a perfect sacrifice bunt >95% of the time so that the 10-20 times during the regular season that you want to do it, you get it done. If the Yankees aren't teaching it correctly in the minors, shame on them. That goes equally for all 29 other clubs too.

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 8, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh and another thing, I actually LIKE losing!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

He's soooooooooooooooooooooo wrapped up in defending his record man. It's like trump running the 2024 election on how people were unfair to him in 2020. There is no actual path forward, just plugging holes.
Yeah this is the thing, he comes off as very defensive here. Why is a GM/pobo with this level of job security concerning himself with the opinions of WFAN callers or NYPost columnists? In the parlance of our times, he sounds shook.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Would you go so far as to say shook AF

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mr AF runs the Dodgers and never sounds shook, which makes the most annoying fans mad and is thus good and funny.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I'm not analytical, don't put in the papers that I'm analytical.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

"We had issues getting people on base and scoring runs, so the solution is to bunt more." - an MLB manager in 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Yankees having a handful of mediocre seasons seems to have completely broken everyone's brain in the FO/media. I wonder what a truly bad Yankee stretch would do to New York. I'm talking something relatively tame like 4 years sub .500 and missing the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Hal simultaneously saying that the Yankee's spending is at a sufficient level but (according to Buster) simultaneously waving $25 million per year at a player who has never thrown an MLB baseball professionally is maddening. The former point is completely true; they do spend enough money that they should be able to complete every single year, but the idea that the priority this offseason is acquiring more starting pitching is just...no. You are going to give back half of the $50 million in (self-imposed) cap space you cleared this offseason to an unknown pitcher? Admittedly he has tremendous upside, but Yamamoto could equally likely be the next Kei Igawa.

We. Need. More. Hitting.

Sidebar: Everyone on an MLB roster should be able to lay down a perfect sacrifice bunt >95% of the time so that the 10-20 times during the regular season that you want to do it, you get it done. If the Yankees aren't teaching it correctly in the minors, shame on them. That goes equally for all 29 other clubs too.

Yamamoto is actually a big need, they should be in on him. He's a young international star, something they could stand to have for numerous reasons both off and on the field.

They should be looking at Jung Hoo Lee