Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

hasn't someone modded in the ability to disassemble the enterprise yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

hasn't someone modded in the ability to disassemble the enterprise yet?

That would turn your computer into a bomb given what the larger ships already do to the engine.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I'll gently caress up an x-wing I don't care. hell I'll take a viper

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm gonna get my son a steam deck for his birthday. I already have like 692 games but I'm always open to suggestions. Are there any particular games anyone finds really fun or better to play on the deck?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Rinkles posted:

I thought this was animetized Doc Mitchell at first.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Shard posted:

I'm gonna get my son a steam deck for his birthday. I already have like 692 games but I'm always open to suggestions. Are there any particular games anyone finds really fun or better to play on the deck?

I’m playing Prodigal right now on the deck and really enjoying it. My favorite games on the deck this year are probably emulated Kings Field 4, an indie JRPG called Ara Fell, and Assassins Creed Brotherhood.

In general anything a few years old that plays well with a controller is going to be great on the deck. Newer stuff can be good too but it depends a bit more.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sauer kraut posted:

Yikes that looks like weak month.
I remember goons posting about how much they enjoyed the Shipbreaker early access, but reading the reviews something seems to have happened.
How were extensive, unskippable audio logs crowbared into a chill spaceship salvage sim? :psyduck:

Shipbreaker loving owns and if the dialogue is a dealbreaker to anyone their opinion sucks

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Half the complaints online about the audio chatter storyline are just people who really loving hate unions

And even then they still play the game, just in freeplay mode

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Did they put a VR mode in Shipbreaker? I want to take a ship apart and then throw up

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ambitious ordering of events there.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I'm a little over capitalist misery themes in games personally. Specifically light theming, if you're willing to go all in like Disco Elysium then I'm all for it. But if you're just pasting in a theme of oh hey isn't the system you're working under pretty poo poo then I'd rather they didn't. They don't typically do anything new with the theme and just make games a bit miserable when they don't need to be. It's not enough for me to skip a game over though.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 8, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Orv posted:

Ambitious ordering of events there.

I believe Leal can potentially take a ship apart before throwing up

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Leal posted:

Did they put a VR mode in Shipbreaker? I want to take a ship apart and then throw up

Really early stages though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGGtz1lYMNw

I also found a guy working on a Freespace 2 VR mod

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

OgNar posted:

:sickos:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Phigs posted:

I'm a little over capitalist misery themes in games personally. Specifically light theming, if you're willing to go all in like Disco Elysium then I'm all for it. But if you're just pasting in a theme of oh hey isn't the system you're working under pretty poo poo then I'd rather they didn't. They don't typically do anything new with the theme and just make games a bit miserable when they don't need to be. It's not enough for me to skip a game over though.
it makes sense for a game in which you are doing hazardous grunt labor though

we're talking shipbreaker, not cooking mama

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I thought even people who liked the message just thought the actual writing sucked, but then, I haven't actually played the game, just what I got from reading the thread. :shrug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The 7th Guest posted:

it makes sense for a game in which you are doing hazardous grunt labor though

we're talking shipbreaker, not cooking mama

It would be really funny in cooking momma tho

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The writing in Hardspace was solid and tells a decently fun small-scale story about workers standing up for themselves.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

e. wrong thread

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

OgNar posted:

Overload has VR support; I got a bit carsick just from enabling the ship's cockpit frame on a regular monitor

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Do wrestling games as fun as Def Jam ffny exist?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mordja posted:

I thought even people who liked the message just thought the actual writing sucked, but then, I haven't actually played the game, just what I got from reading the thread. :shrug:
for me some of the voices sucked; the writing was... Fine, I Guess. i'm glad they told the story they did but overall i'd rather they left it to world-building & background elements like the logs instead of a plot

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Upsidads posted:

Sadly no, they never managed to reach that peak again :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Upsidads posted:

MDickie has such sights to show you.

(Maybe not a real recommendation? You should at least try and see if your brain is broken right.)

E link https://store.steampowered.com/app/1620340/Wrestling_Empire/

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 8, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

also i can't think of many (any?) games with a better intro cinematic than shipbreaker's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4LbAr4uz9A

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

MDickie's Wrestling Empire is unironically one of the better wrestling games out there

take this as commentary on the state of wrestling games or don't, its up to you.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

ShadowMar posted:

MDickie's Wrestling Empire is unironically one of the better wrestling games out there

rox
Sep 7, 2016

hell it might be the best

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh it 100% is, some people just can't handle the uh majesty of MDickie's creative vision

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I know of mdickie it's no where as awesome as M-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I- crooked letter-crooked letter-I-humpback-humpback-I jam

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I want to sing the praises of Roboquest for a moment. The gameplay and the presentation is very slick: there's a plenty of variety in terms of guns and classes, the colors are vibrant, the enemy silhouettes are easy to read and tell you at a glance what kind of enemy you're facing, etc. It's a very accessible roguelike shooter that has the trappings of a looter shooter (randomly generated guns with affixes/rarities) without the issues (no grinding since it's run-based). It's sitting at 91% approval rating on Steam after its launch.
But there's one thing in particular I really like and that's how it handles unlock quests. Usually in a game like this you'd get stuff like 'do X while holding Y item' and it sucks if you get the item but can't get far enough in the run or you get to the end point but you never got the item in the first place. What Roboquest does is it lets you hold onto quest items between runs until you come across their intended use - sometimes you'll get a key in the second level that opens up a new path on the first level, but other times you'll get an item for an NPC you didn't came across due to the path you took. So next run if you do happen to meet that NPC you just give him the item you've had ever since. It's pretty good.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

Phigs posted:

Shipbreaker is actually a rare case where it isn't all doom and gloom and actually has a happy ending. It's a good game with very original mechanics and definitely worth giving a go.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The writing/audio logs in Hardspace are fine. Nothing cringeworthy and it doesn’t overstay it’s welcome. The story is pretty basic, (simplistic?) although it does build up to a hilariously satisfying mission.

I get the frustration though, the core gameplay is so good and it’s hugely frustrating that there aren’t more ship types to keep things fresh after completing the campaign. I think lack of cash and technical challenges prevented it from being as great as it could. There are even plot breadcrumbs for a sequel that’ll probably never be made.

Still spent some time in free play though. Peeling apart hulls and messing with demo charges is a lot of fun on the big ships, especially with some of the more volatile variants. Explosive decompression never gets old.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I enjoyed Shipbreaker for a while but it felt like it just went on and on and I got kind of bored with the lack of variety, and that was even with me having turned off the timer. I didn't even finish it in the end. I can't imagine how long the game would take if you had to keep returning to the same ship day after day.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fake Name posted:

Shipbreaker is actually a rare case where it isn't all doom and gloom and actually has a happy ending. It's a good game with very original mechanics and definitely worth giving a go.

Was about to say the same thing, yeah. It strikes a nice balance of going for "better things are, in fact, possible and achievable" but without going into a full fantasy that might spoil it by being too conveniently perfect.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Aphex- posted:

I enjoyed Shipbreaker for a while but it felt like it just went on and on and I got kind of bored with the lack of variety, and that was even with me having turned off the timer. I didn't even finish it in the end. I can't imagine how long the game would take if you had to keep returning to the same ship day after day.

The timer speeds things up. If you’re kinda close to finishing a wreck and there’s only a minute or so left, slice it up and throw it in the furnace :getin: Then on to the next story mission or whatevs. Half the gameplay is figuring out how to dissect the ships efficiently.

E: shifts are 15 minutes. After learning the basics, a small ship is one shift (max), the big ones are two shifts, three if you are a perfectionist.

Could easily spend an hour parting out a challenging ship but it would get tiring like you said. Game is short.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 8, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This is the mobile app you DUNCE PROGRAM :psyduck:

edit: i try to log in on the web browser. it says i must log in on my phone to confirm.
my phone says i must log in on my pc. the code that it gives me on pc is too long to put in on the phone. what the hell is happening.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 8, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

CJacobs posted:

This is the mobile app you DUNCE PROGRAM :psyduck:

edit: i try to log in on the web browser. it says i must log in on my phone to confirm.
my phone says i must log in on my pc. the code that it gives me on pc is too long to put in on the phone. what the hell is happening.

Looks like you forgot your email account password. Let me just reset it and email you the new one. :classiclol:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Figured it out! The app forgot that it already has my phone number, maybe because I haven't logged in for a while. I tapped "I no longer have access" and it just sent a confirmation to the phone number like usual. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The story in Shipbreaker was good, but it was deeply annoying that they wouldn't let you play the game while listening to the plot.