Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

I'm still thinking 8-7 or 7-8 is attainable.

Look at this fool. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I feel like I was pretty high on the hawks but lol I don’t think I ever deluded myself into thinking it was a possible super bowl run unironically

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Seahawks were never going to contend this year but I thought they’d put up a fight today. But nope

Absolutely embarrassing. Like they didn’t even care. Coaching, offense, defense, the whole team

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

They also have Mostert.

yeah, s'what I meant - they have ex-niners RBs including Mostert and Wilson, plus Mike McDaniel.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Even though the 49ers are on a bye it still feels like we lost like the rest of the division today.

nfc west more like nfc worst am i rite

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Dancing Peasant posted:

Even though the 49ers are on a bye it still feels like we lost like the rest of the division today.

nfc west more like nfc worst am i rite

Nope, the whole NFC blows outside of the Eagles. Can't blame the west for this whole mess.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Lifespan posted:

Nope, the whole NFC blows outside of the Eagles. Can't blame the west for this whole mess.

And the eagles would be slobberknackered by the best in the AFC.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Cat Hassler posted:

Seahawks were never going to contend this year but I thought they’d put up a fight today. But nope

Absolutely embarrassing. Like they didn’t even care. Coaching, offense, defense, the whole team

It looked like they cared in the 1st quarter and then the defense saw the offense just keep loving up and said "imma head out"

I just hope this opens some eyes on the team that they are, in fact, not one or two pieces away from the superbowl. That trade looks even more fart huffing now than it did last week. They need one more solid draft and a QB. Feels like the team is 2 years away from contending

Also lol the NFC West as a whole, with 3 games played and none against each other, scored a total of 6 pts this weekend.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

EmbryoSteve posted:

Also lol the NFC West as a whole, with 3 games played and none against each other, scored a total of 6 pts this weekend.

Six?!?!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
That's hilarious. 3 from SEA, 3 from LAR, 0 from ARI.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Good job everyone, A+ work all around.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It's what you all deserve for giving the Bengals second life.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
6-84!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Got ‘em right where we want ‘em

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

So you're saying there's a chance.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Welcome,,,,,,, Carson Wentz

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Carson, California

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

And a big fat goodbye to Brett Rypien and Dresser Winn.

Stafford should be ready to go next weekend, but having Wentz as his backup is more comfortable than having Rypien out there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

Toaster Beef posted:

(thx to leperflesh for inspiring a piece of this)

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

I'm going to imagine from now on that the only thing Carson Wentz has ever said to any of his teammates outside of a game is "hsssss"

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Hadn't heard what has been happening in Earl Thomas' crazy world in a while and I wasn't let down.

Last year his house was hit by lightening and burned down: https://www.12newsnow.com/article/news/local/nfl-earl-thomas-home-orange-catches-fire/502-1b8f8323-40bf-47f0-9384-3053be071431
This year his ex-wife's boyfriend stole his identity and ran up $1.9m in debt: https://www.nola.com/news/jefferson_parish/kevin-thompson-earl-thomas-nfl-arrested-jpso/article_eb194444-7daf-11ee-a75e-b7b9f4926128.html

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh man lmao

quote:

After being released from jail, he tried to get the Rolls-Royce back from the Sheriff's Office, authorities said, but he arrived in a car reported stolen in Atlanta and was arrested again.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

getting caught turning a chick out with his brother really seems to have opened the crazy floodgates

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

EmbryoSteve posted:

Niners getting blown out by the Bye Week sucked.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

12newsnow posted:

Orange Fire Department Fire Marshal Randy Ener says firefighters that were first on scene spoke briefly to Thomas. Thomas then got into a car with who officials believe was his mother and drove off.

My house is burning down? Ah gently caress it, imma hit the road with Mom.

Who does that when their house is burning?

12newsnow posted:

Thomas’ May 2021 protective order requires him to communicate with the woman only through a co-parenting phone application. The woman told police Thomas refuses to download the application and shows up unannounced to places she visits, according to the police affidavit.

She said Thomas recently began sending threatening text messages.

Thomas allegedly sent a text on April 18 claiming he had two handguns, saying, “Waiting on hand in foot is why I’ll kick ur rear end.”

He also allegedly threatened to poison the children. Police say he later texted, “I hope u in the car with him and the kids and yall drive off the road.”

This guy may be dealing with CTE. He's out of his mind.

Nit Wit Dog Shit fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 9, 2023

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
While I feel like CTE is too often the excuse for the NFL when they have face mental health issues, Thomas...

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Does all of this impact his chances to make the HoF? If so, how much? And who do we bribe to make sure he gets in first ballot?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Lifespan posted:

While I feel like CTE is too often the excuse for the NFL when they have face mental health issues, Thomas...

Yeah he was always kind of a controlled explosion of a human being but that seems to have changed. I feel terrible for him and his family

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
From what I read, Earl basically could ball hard when he was with Seattle because he had Sherman and Chancellor backing him up. He did his own thing, and was drat good at it. When he went to Baltimore and was expected to do more and take on leadership roles, he completely fell apart.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Earl was pretty good during 2019 but was memorably punked by Derrick Henry during the playoffs, had some weird poo poo happen with his brother during the offseason and then punched a teammate during camp after being called out for loving up a play.

He was a huge weirdo that nobody liked and the Ravens players basically demanded that he be cut. He wasn't really cut-able from a financial standpoint so it must have gotten really bad from a team culture standpoint that they decided it was worth it anyway.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

seiferguy posted:

From what I read, Earl basically could ball hard when he was with Seattle because he had Sherman and Chancellor backing him up. He did his own thing, and was drat good at it. When he went to Baltimore and was expected to do more and take on leadership roles, he completely fell apart.

It was the other way around. Kam and Sherman could play more aggressively because Earl could basically do the coverage duties of two safeties by himself. That allowed, among other things, for the defense to crowd the box without suffering much in deep coverage.

Earl seems like a weird, disturbed, unlikable personality, but he was one of the best free safeties ever.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
There were plenty of stories about Earl being a giant rear end in a top hat in Seattle that were dismissed as Earl being Earl. One that sticks out is a story about telling Cliff Avril to take that loser poo poo back to Detroit because Cliff was... eating sunflower seeds.

It really seems like he has actually always sucked as a person. He also has zero chance of making the Hall of Fame. Dude only has 30 career interceptions, and barely double digit forced fumbles over a 10 year career. Tyrann Mathieu has the same amount of Ints over the same period. Thomas is the definition of a Hall of Very Good type player.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

That seems like a fine amount of interceptions and fumbles considering how often offenses avoided Thomas.

For context, Sherman had 37 ints over 11 seasons. And most came early in his career. Once people realized he was great they stopped testing him and his ints per season dropped dramatically.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

But yeah the short-ish career, the personality issues, the drop off, and other factors mean Thomas has a diminished chance to make the hall.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Sherman has a way better chance though. Top player for a few years at premium position, refusing to throw his direction is a more established phenomenon for corners, boisterous personality, huge playoff moments and played well for a few teams.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Sherm seems like a first ballot guy right? https://futurefootballlegends.com/year/2027/
Like Adrian Peterson seems like the only guy who would go above him in my opinion. That list has Antonio Brown higher which seems wrong to me.
Bobby Wagner is the only other HoFer from the superbowl teams I think, though I agree Earl Thomas made that whole defense work and was the best free safety in the league for a few years.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Agreed, he doesn't have much of a shot, and I always believed that from 2012-2016 Earl was the best player on that whole defense. He's just always been a toxic weirdo.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

DancingMachine posted:

Sherm seems like a first ballot guy right? https://futurefootballlegends.com/year/2027/
Like Adrian Peterson seems like the only guy who would go above him in my opinion. That list has Antonio Brown higher which seems wrong to me.
Bobby Wagner is the only other HoFer from the superbowl teams I think, though I agree Earl Thomas made that whole defense work and was the best free safety in the league for a few years.

Nah I can see Brown and Gronk being higher. I’m shocked Gronk isn’t higher tbh - he was an absolutely unstoppable force

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think popularity really does matter for HOF votes, especially for non-QBs, and being an unlikeable weirdo does hurt any player's chances.

DBs honored by the HOF:
https://futurefootballlegends.com/PositionGroup/Defensive_Backs/
"Since 1980, there have been 24 Modern-Era Defensive Backs honored by the Hall of Fame" so a little more than one every two years. In addition to Sherm on the 2027 list, the 2026 list has Tramon Williams (way down at the bottom, doubt he gets a nod) and the 2028 list has Devin McCourty and Byron Jones, but the list is super short so more DBs could go on it.

I think Sherm has a shot at a first or more likely second ballot HOF spot during that three year period and I doubt Earl Thomas gets any shot at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Gronk I can see the argument. Brown is the Earl Thomas of wide receivers and was never really the best WR or even top 2 when he played. His era was full of equally great WRs.