Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
One part I really liked was Alex Casey connecting with Estevez over their mutual heartbreak. His line reading at the part where he tells Estevez that she was better without her ex-wife was incredibly telling; He was still hurting, but is trying to move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
They're putting more thermoses up for sale Thursday at 9 am pacific / noon eastern btw

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

mutantIke posted:

They're putting more thermoses up for sale Thursday at 9 am pacific / noon eastern btw

Lol, I googled this and found on reddit lots of pissed off people that couldn't buy it.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Prokhor posted:

That's actually another question I had while thinking about it ok so
You're (I'm) sorta predisposed to imagine the Old Gods of Asgard's songs prophecy as acts of creation powered up by the lake. But it sure starts to seem like they're also mythic figures on their own, completely separate from the powers of the lake.

I'm kinda thinking like on the same sort of level almost as Door or Ahti. Like they're (in their prime) not so easily meddled with

I think they're definitely separate to the lake. What they are is uncertain. Odin has that interesting text where he talks about losing his eye both in 1977, 1988, and also "before history" or something. There's a sense in which they both are the gods and also are just people, but the people they are are imbued with some kind of family heritage, godsblood, whatever you call it, that gives them gifts as seers. I'm sure the FBC could do some science about it and understand a tiny fraction of the mythic power. That's different, probably, to Ahti, who I think is probably very literally the Finnish god of his namesake in a more direct way? Door is unknown. If he's Hatch he's essentially an ascended human. But he also talks about the family of Doors - Saga (and Logan) being both a Door and an Anderson.

I could see Logan as a future protagonist.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

lines posted:

losing his eye both in 1977, 1988.
I saw something interesting which posited, though I never found anything specifically in game personally, that Door is Saga's father, and he gave his eye to send or convince Door to leave.

I was thinking while driving home and I have come up with a fan theory with as much strength and legitimacy as Rose's fanfiction.

Door is the narrator and host now of Night Springs, and he mentions to Alan that he stayed and did it as it was an enjoyable distraction. I posit that Door stayed and hosted Night Springs explicitly because it is Logan's favourite show, as a way of bonding with his granddaughter.

Prokhor fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 8, 2023

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

YOOOOO! loving YOOO I HAVE had a brain wave. Speaking of our esteemed late night television host.

So I was rewatching the last conversation Door has with Alan because it's great and Door has a stellar actor and I'm putting this stuff together in my head. So Door says

Which I thought or think refers to Saga. But, it could easily also more directly be referring to Logan herself. After all, Alan's writing is explicitly killing her. This is the only reason (I think) Door is entertaining this at all. Alan Wake has imperiled his family, and so he's sitting in to help make it right.

He then immediately follows up with the line about Night Springs,

Which again I posit to be because it's Logan's favourite show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I really hope they have Harewood go full Rod Serling in the Night Springs DLC.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Prokhor posted:

YOOOOO! loving YOOO I HAVE had a brain wave. Speaking of our esteemed late night television host.

So I was rewatching the last conversation Door has with Alan because it's great and Door has a stellar actor and I'm putting this stuff together in my head. So Door says

Which I thought or think refers to Saga. But, it could easily also more directly be referring to Logan herself. After all, Alan's writing is explicitly killing her. This is the only reason (I think) Door is entertaining this at all. Alan Wake has imperiled his family, and so he's sitting in to help make it right.

He then immediately follows up with the line about Night Springs,

Which again I posit to be because it's Logan's favourite show.

oooh poo poo, yeah I remember wondering who he meant by that... this makes sense...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I could see him going by another name (and Sam getting a guy named David to play a guy named David haha) but I would hope saga would recognize her own husband when she contacted him through the mind place though

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

site posted:

I could see him going by another name (and Sam getting a guy named David to play a guy named David haha) but I would hope saga would recognize her own husband when she contacted him through the mind place though

Also David is a white dude.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

site posted:

I think what he means is that Door is Saga's father, and is 'hosting' Night Springs as a way to get in touch with his granddaughter, Logan, and is stepping in to make sure she lives. Which does fit with the general theme of friendship and family connections being more powerful than the literal forces of darkness.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
sam always dropping hints for stuff years in advance

^^^^ being saga's dad seemed like the implication, yeah

site fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 8, 2023

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I know that some people in this thread didn't like the FBC showed up with all of their knowledge and equipment but I think that is dulled quite a bit by them getting absolutely loving RINSED by the Dark Presence at essentially every turn, with strong implications that it is literally the strongest entity/power they have yet encountered, so much so that the Estevez literally scoffs at the idea of the Dark Presence changing reality beyond the immediate local area, an idea that is literally disproven in one of the very next scenes when Saga finally gets in contact with David. Also maybe it was just me playing on hard but the Scratch encounters had some serious bite to them, it was no fromsoft fight but it was tense, and him completely no selling the cage light trap was very believable based on the fight I had, and the fact that apparently no entity ever had broken one of those boxes just illustrated how completely out of their depth the FBC is here.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm playing this on PC and experiencing a lot of bugs. Textures not loading, Alan falling through the world infinitely. While thematically it's kinda on point, it's making playing not very fun. Any advice?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Do you have the game installed on an SSD? How much RAM do you have? Various integral stuff not loading fast enough is all I can think of.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

AnEdgelord posted:

I know that some people in this thread didn't like the FBC showed up with all of their knowledge and equipment but I think that is dulled quite a bit by them getting absolutely loving RINSED by the Dark Presence at essentially every turn, with strong implications that it is literally the strongest entity/power they have yet encountered, so much so that the Estevez literally scoffs at the idea of the Dark Presence changing reality beyond the immediate local area, an idea that is literally disproven in one of the very next scenes when Saga finally gets in contact with David. Also maybe it was just me playing on hard but the Scratch encounters had some serious bite to them, it was no fromsoft fight but it was tense, and him completely no selling the cage light trap was very believable based on the fight I had, and the fact that apparently no entity ever had broken one of those boxes just illustrated how completely out of their depth the FBC is here.

Yeah, I don't really get that sentiment. Besides them getting totally trounced (even though they have some tech that helps combat the DP) I just think it's really cool that in this universe the FBC are at least competent enough to like, be around. Of course they're here to monitor everything, of course they would have their own quick reaction force. Of course someone is watching after 2010.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Yeah there's no question in my mind that Door is Saga's father. The first DLC being Night Springs makes me think we're going to be seeing him in that, too.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

AnEdgelord posted:

Great points through and through.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Finally beat this game, one of my favourite gaming experiences ever

E: what happened to Sarah Breaker?

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 8, 2023

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Joined the feds. Either fbc or fbi, we’ll find out in control 2.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ok finished aw1 and goddam i was really unfair to that game, it's a blast. the end when you're dodging bigger and bigger things is legitimately epic, and i got some genuine chills. Back to the sequel!

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Zat posted:

Sorry to tell you but absolutely everyone I've seen anywhere loved the musical sequence in AW2. Including me. I think they overcame the difficult challenge of doing something like the Ashtray Maze but even more ambitious/over-the-top, complete with several fake endings and a proper climax for the finale. I actually love to look up streamer reactions to it on Youtube.

No doubt your opinion is genuine but I believe you are in the minority.

Yeah I figured I might be in the minority on this one so I'll develop a bit, mostly as an exercise to articulate and organize my thoughts. To me the biggest problem is the disconnect between the music and the gameplay. I really dig rhythm games so when the designers set up a full-on rock opera like this I'm hooting and hollering, expecting gameplay to match. :D

To establish a comparison, during the Ashtray Maze they managed the incredible feat of designing the level around the soundtrack so that whatever you were doing gameplay-wise matched the peaks and valleys of the tune. They controlled (ha!) the pace of the sequence by completely modifying the level around you and giving clear visual cues as to what was expected of you at any given moment. Here however in the first half you're never sure if you're supposed to stand around, walk and take it in like in an expo or rush through the whole thing? The music says "rush" but the gameplay is mostly "stand around". The end result is the music often goes in standby mode while you figure things out. It doesn't feel very tight.

Then the second half kicks in and the designers drop a bazillion enemies on you. That fixes the above problem but it creates a new one: the gameplay of Alan Wake 2 is tuned for a survival horror with tank controls where you conserve ammo and avoid fights. The enemies are actually threatening so the ear-splitting guitar solos sell you a power fantasy while the gameplay is mostly Alan getting his poo poo pushed in by an axe thrower, fiddling in his inventory for a medpack or looting an ammo box. The music and gameplay are at odds instead of reinforcing each other.

To clarify I don't have any beef with the song itself, I think it's catchy and it is super obvious they put a lot of effort and passion into it. Like someone said it's goofy in the best possible way. I'm a bit sad it didn't land for me but that's the risk with fresh ideas like that. :)

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

RandolphCarter posted:

Joined the feds. Either fbc or fbi, we’ll find out in control 2.

Most likely FBC, because her father Frank Breaker (Bright Falls sheriff before Sarah) was in the FBC too. It’s a spiral! Or it rhymes. Or something.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I'm a bit sad it didn't land for me but that's the risk with fresh ideas like that. :)

As someone who was totally enthralled with the spectacle of it, I think this is all entirely fair and true. Like, I loved it, but would I rather PLAY it again or watch like a let's play where someone runs through at the proper pace?

Trick question, I've already rewatched it multiple times.

Silver Vision
Aug 24, 2013
Sheriff Time Breaker

It took me stupidly long to figure that out, I love this silly game and silly company

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Silver Vision posted:

Sheriff Time Breaker

It took me stupidly long to figure that out, I love this silly game and silly company

let me blow your mind further

quantum break. tim breaker. quanTIM BREAKer.

Silver Vision
Aug 24, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

let me blow your mind further

quantum break. tim breaker. quanTIM BREAKer.

Haha even with you spelling it out to me it took me a while to grasp it. How unsubtle these games can be wraps around into being brilliant imo.

And then there's stuff (like the edits upthread) that actually is subtle and my mind goes :aaaaa:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Remedy are the kings of stupid naming conventions that actually become genius through their brazenness. See Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i know they dont own max payne but what about captain baseballbat boy

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

The credits to this game have a pretty funny message in the acknowledgements section "This beats IT consulting"

They also in memoriam Lance Reddick (who I gather might have been Mr Door had he not passed, though Harewood absolutely knocks it out the park), Alice Wake's actress in AW1 Brett Madden and a dev who passed away, Sami Vantahalo

Curiously enough the Brett Madden tribute seems like it was patched in later cos I saw some screenshots on Twitter of the in memoriam that didn't have her, but she was definitely in my credits.

E: I'm going back to Remastered after finishing this game (I never played the DLC) and there's some interesting posters around like for Coffeeworld - i thought, holy poo poo, was that in the original game? (It was not, added for the remaster)

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 8, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
this got posted in a discord i'm in, some aw2 stuff foreshadowed in quantum break

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

site posted:

this got posted in a discord i'm in, some aw2 stuff foreshadowed in quantum break

There's also a video at the start that has a lot of things that ended up in AW2 except that Saga was a white woman, it even has her and Alex Casey doing the weird synchronised coffee drinking.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

It's staggering how different Alan Wake 1 feels to play going back to it (I'm playing the Writer DLC). It really is a set piece fast-paced action game compared to Wake 2.

In theory they should be similar i.e. they're both third person shooters killing monsters with a flashlight mechanic and you have a similar weapon set, but everything about it feels completely different.

The flashlight works differently, you can jump, you don't focus your gun to aim it (it's run and fun controls), etc. it makes Wake 1 feels almost like a darker Uncharted as an action adventure game

It does make almost wish there was more action "set pieces" in Alan Wake 2 where you really are visiting a lot of the same locations, tho it's clearly not the vibe they were going for as they were very committed to the survival horror Resident Evil thing. Also would have pushed out the budget

Ultimately two very different games going for very different experiences. Wake 1 really is just way harder tho, the combat feels very trial and error about whether to run or not, I'm dying way more after barely dying in Wake 2. It feels more frictionless I suppose in that it's a linear action game and the checkpoints are rarely far behind

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I get the impression that Remedy has some aspiration to either get Quantum Break back under their umbrella or do some sort of soft reboot with the same premise. It's just too prominent in AW2 for it to just be a wink nod easter egg thing

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Maaaaybe. I think they're just really trying to tie all their previous games together in a cheeky way even if they don't have the rights, I mean they don't even own Max Payne

It seems like Remedy would have their hands full, there's forthcoming DLC for this game, they're doing a Max Payne 1+2 remake, two different multiplayer games one being Control related and another a new IP, and making Control 2. They also were involved with that apparently lovely CrossFireX game during the dev time of this game

It's interesting how far they're stretching themselves having been a one game at a time single player studio for so long

E: what's really missing from wake 2 is evil objects everywhere that throw themselves at you

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I started Control a while ago and didn’t get that far due to becoming distracted or something. Guess I should go back to it now. I kind of forgot Quantum Break existed but will have to give it a shot now that I know they’re doing their best to tie it in, and that Lance Reddick was in it.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

site posted:

Sam Lake actually mentions this in a recent video, he wrote everything on that blackboard personally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He8CXuWmJxo&t=360s

Zat fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 9, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Al! posted:

i know they dont own max payne but what about captain baseballbat boy

(SQUEAKS ANXIOUSLY)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Maaaaybe. I think they're just really trying to tie all their previous games together in a cheeky way even if they don't have the rights, I mean they don't even own Max Payne

It seems like Remedy would have their hands full, there's forthcoming DLC for this game, they're doing a Max Payne 1+2 remake, two different multiplayer games one being Control related and another a new IP, and making Control 2. They also were involved with that apparently lovely CrossFireX game during the dev time of this game

It's interesting how far they're stretching themselves having been a one game at a time single player studio for so long

E: what's really missing from wake 2 is evil objects everywhere that throw themselves at you

the climax of 1 where there are literal ships and buildings crashing around you is so brilliantly deranged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
its kind of funny that remedy doesnt "own" max payne but they do own sam lake's face which to be honest is just as good