Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Another pair of eyes is always good, sometimes looking at the same thing too long, we can miss stuff.

As for the question askers, they're annoying and I've had to really steel myself to be polite and kind about it bc I don't deal well with interruptions. But I've always been in workplaces where it's encouraged to do, bc most of the time it's quicker to just ask someone who knows the answer than spend time researching, and my bosses care more about wasted time more than anything else, so if sharing information saves us time and money, they want us doing it.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I like slack/teams for asking/answering questions because if it’s not urgent it can be done at one’s own pace

I absolutely hate having my momentum broken by people coming in my office to jump the queue

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Qubee posted:

I don't feel like I'm cut out for the corporate world. I'm incredibly gullible and naive and this has burned me on more than one occasion. I don't do well with office politics at all and can't poker face to save my life. I've received advice from multiple coworkers to not share and keep things close to my chest, the recurring theme has been "you're too much of an open book and people will take advantage of that". Coupled with my anxiety of being in the 'spotlight' / presenting, I think I'll just be held back and not advance up the corporate ladder. I'm currently an engineer but I'm thinking of trying to side shuffle into something programming related? My ex was a Computer Science major and her office was awesome, the people seemed great and the environment and freedom seemed lovely (WFH, employee break rooms with fun activities, regular office activities after working hours). My place seems stuck in the 1970s and is just a depressing cubicle hellhole.

The only aspect of my current job that I thoroughly enjoy is the nice interactions I have with coworkers, especially when we're working on a project and coming up with a solution as a team. I absolutely love that. However, there are a lot of people that are quite negative and don't like my 'new hire energy' and I'm tired of navigating all their nasty crap. It's taken a huge toll on my mental health. Even though management supports and likes me, I'm more often than not daydreaming of leaving or going somewhere else. But even the thought of changing company but keeping the same role doesn't entice me.

So, to anyone in the computer science field, would you recommend the side shuffle? Not to generalize, but most of the people at my ex's office seemed harmless and super nerdy, and I remember the CS students at uni were the same. I feel like I'd be a lot happier in that nerdy kind of environment. But maybe I'm just having grass-is-greener syndrome. I'm just tired of the existential dread and having the constant adrenaline dumps going into the office (mainly from having to give presentations). I'm on about £6500 a month but I'm a shut-in who loves staying at home so I'm really not actively using the money (so the thought of a pay cut doesn't frighten me).

My best advice is to come to SHSC and ask some questions. "Computer Science" isn't a field you work in, it's a degree plan, like "Business" or "Communications". I'm in IT, and my job is "make sure people can use a computer to access information and also make sure our poo poo doesn't get stolen". My brother in law is a software engineer who writes low level drivers for Qualcomm. Both of our fields fall under "computer science" but the only commonality is that our job tool is the magic thinking rock.
My background is all MSP, my manager of infosec and infrastructure has a background in programming, cryptography, and QA, and both of our paths still had about the same amount of internal office politics as any corp job.
Without a ton of background experience or a degree and some connections, you're not likely to find the hanging out with similar nerds type environment.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Not a Children posted:

I like slack/teams for asking/answering questions because if it’s not urgent it can be done at one’s own pace

I absolutely hate having my momentum broken by people coming in my office to jump the queue

I have definitely worked with people who expect an IM to be answered instantly, and it's not always possible to tell one's direct supervisor to gently caress off and get with the times.

My current job is much better in this regard though.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Edit: ok fixed it
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7298500659643419946

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 7, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got a “Hi Name!” On teams from a director of HR which I ignored, god I hate that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

priznat posted:

I got a “Hi Name!” On teams from a director of HR which I ignored, god I hate that.

this sounds like the start of a fun story

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

this sounds like the start of a fun story

My last day is Thursday so I have no fucks to give lol

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Someone just dodged an exit interview!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I assume they’ll track me down! But man just saying hi on teams and waiting for a response… fffffff

Possibly my #1 pet peeve at work.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

priznat posted:

I assume they’ll track me down! But man just saying hi on teams and waiting for a response… fffffff

Possibly my #1 pet peeve at work.

"I am currently working in office. Please refrain from contacting me until after my scheduled hours, upon which I'd like to direct you to my second statement"

"I am currently out of office. If this is work related, then please contact me during my scheduled working hours. Thanks."

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Ah the mythical OOOuroboros

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Instagram started pushing corporate memes onto my feed so here, laughcry with me:

https://i.imgur.com/Un6FzgI.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/POv83Pj.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/J8aBuC2.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/SgzDGeB.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/v9TLSmR.mp4

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

priznat posted:

My last day is Thursday so I have no fucks to give lol

Time to send them to nohello

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I did my exit survey and when it came time for the interview she told me she had everything she needed from the survey. I think it lasted 8 minutes. Out of 5 jobs I had this was the only exit interview I’ve done

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

My exit interview was a questionnaire where all answers requiring choices were single not multiple and free text answers were limited to 250 characters. It was also publically accessible so that people could fill it out after they left, lol.

You might as well have just told people to do it on twitter.

I wrote a lovely powershell script to see if something worked (yes but it was useless) and got a message from IT security about suspicious activity from my laptop.

Next time I'll use python :evilbuddy:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Looks like the wework bankruptcy won’t hit our space right away as it’s other locations that wework is trying to get out of the leases for, lol.

I did a session with the remaining folks going over the “lab” space and man it is going to suck when they have to pack up and move all the poo poo out but Not My Problem :snoop:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah our space is pretty well subscribed so I think we are good to go for now... but things can shift rapidly in bankruptcy land.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

One of the leases they are trying to get out of here is a spot that was slated to open in 2019 then slipped and then something happened dunno what to cause the delay over the past 3 years anyway it still hasn’t opened!

The plan apparently is still to move to a proper leased office/lab space (been saying that for the past year with dates continuously slipping hence the exodus) so it is planned that everything will have to get moved out at some point. The funny thing is the lab benches won’t fit out the door so everything will need to be disassembled lol.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I really don't understand that model for specialized space. We are desks and workstations. It's all portable and scalable. Can't imagine dealing with real infrastructure.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

100% agree. It was either that or someone’s garage, but no one volunteered (wisely).

It was a dumb plan and the main reason for it was the execs dragged their feet in engaging landlords to build out local space. Just as they dragged their feet with hiring. And then people are wondering why so many folks are leaving..

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

The one WeWork I've ever been to (to meet a tech startup, why else?) was pretty uninspiring imo. I guess that might be because it's post-implosion, but still.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah they seem massively scaled down post the ipo attempt. Ours has kombucha taps still tho, lol.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

priznat posted:

It was a dumb plan and the main reason for it was the execs dragged their feet in engaging landlords to build out local space. Just as they dragged their feet with hiring. And then people are wondering why so many folks are leaving..

Nobody wants to (we)work anymore.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

priznat posted:

Yeah they seem massively scaled down post the ipo attempt. Ours has kombucha taps still tho, lol.

I worked from one in Berlin for a week and it had beer taps. There was a WW staff member who would clock out in the afternoon and fill up a big bottle on his way out :cheers:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I wrote a lovely powershell script to see if something worked (yes but it was useless) and got a message from IT security about suspicious activity from my laptop.

Next time I'll use python :evilbuddy:

We get watched like a hawk (it admin a financial co). Anything abnormal, our cyber guys are reaching out to us asking for Change control numbers so they can verify our paperwork, and all sorts of stuff. It can be annoying, but I'm glad they're on top of things.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Trabant posted:

I worked from one in Berlin for a week and it had beer taps. There was a WW staff member who would clock out in the afternoon and fill up a big bottle on his way out :cheers:

Yeah I hear the north american ones did away with the beer after 2018 due to a sexual harassment lawsuit, sadly.

Some drunken pervs gotta ruin it for everyone

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I worked in a wework in like 2013 in lower Manhattan. Walked past tourists fondling the bulls balls every morning. WeWork had used non-union labor to do the floors and so we had to walk through a picket line every day to get to work.

I never understood that office. Every office had glass walls, so it was a weird glass fishbowl and you could just wander around and stare at people’s screens and white boards. It was so weird.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Awkward Davies posted:

I never understood that office. Every office had glass walls, so it was a weird glass fishbowl and you could just wander around and stare at people’s screens and white boards. It was so weird.

You try putting an enclosed private office in a high-CoL area and see how long before you're evicting your first corporate hobo

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Awkward Davies posted:

I worked in a wework in like 2013 in lower Manhattan. Walked past tourists fondling the bulls balls every morning. WeWork had used non-union labor to do the floors and so we had to walk through a picket line every day to get to work.

How else would the lords be able to gaze upon their fields of serfs, while also technically having offices?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I don't understand these companies that work in publicly accessible spaces - do you not create or use anything confidential, do you not have gdpr issues, what the hell are you even doing?!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

priznat posted:

100% agree. It was either that or someone’s garage, but no one volunteered (wisely).
I mean renting out your garage at for office lease prices sounds p nice. Still wouldn't do it.

Still insane that those were the options instead of actual industrial space.

CancerCakes posted:

I don't understand these companies that work in publicly accessible spaces - do you not create or use anything confidential, do you not have gdpr issues, what the hell are you even doing?!
They don't GAF.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I spoke to someone based in a WeWork yesterday and asked "so do you have to move out now or what?" and he said "well actually last week we had to come up with a continuity plan for this!" and I mean lol you never saw this coming or had any plan for it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CancerCakes posted:

most of the tenants on our floor have private offices, including us.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah all our offices are key card controlled and we have the privacy glass screens.

It’s funny tho because the one room is full of server dev kits which are screaming loud and it just goes thru the glass walls like nothing. And now with the winter switchover the ac isn’t running so the temperature in that room often hits 29C. lol.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

I put my hand up to join a working group run by the CMO that was pitched as determining what processes and platforms our division could use to improve planning and delivery. We have no process consistency and constant band-aid solutions so this seemed like a decent opportunity to influence things.

First working group meeting was today.

CMO: Thanks everyone for joining. I've met with the senior leadership team and we all agree that we want to move forward with rolling out Monday.com to our division.
Group: Don't we need to align our processes first and then work out which platform is most appropriate for our needs?
CMO: So I'll go back and confirm that we're endorsing using Monday, thanks everyone, seeya next week

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Sounds like you're about to get a "we will standardise on the out of the box process rather than customising!" project that will end up with something that works for absolutely nobody.

I was in the room on one of those years ago and when I left the company six years later they'd still not delivered anything outside one team and were millions in the hole.

They were abandoning it and moving to a self build to handle all the different processes because absolutely nobody could agree what they should be.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Customizing standard business functions is dumb as hell and everyone who doesn’t get on board with standardizing them should be shown the door.

(Lots of business functions look like they are standard but aren’t. … but lots are)

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
We’ve been using monday.com for project management stuff for a while and it’s fine, whatever. However, we also recently started using it for support tickets instead of Jira, and that is going pretty poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My last day at the job, anything I should remember to do before I'm out of the system? I always forget. I do know I should get paystubs although I seem to have forgotten to update the password on it and it's locked me out, requiring a reset. That uses a 3rd party website though so I can access that externally after the person I contacted resets it for me.

Don't really have any contacts I want to funnel out for later, cleared my laptop of anything personal (never keep much on there anyway personal-wise) and printed out the shipment labels with fedex account number.