Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

By throwing out the interesting concepts, they're both signaling that they're going to be thoroughly mediocre. The Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian script sounded awful, but at least it sounded inventive. The little we know about the story for the one in production sounds very bland. Gladiator 2 script still holds up. I can't imagine actual movie feeling like anything other than a mediocre Gladiator ripoff since it's so disconnected from the heart of the story of the first.

e: For those who don't know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL5ujfzGsZo
I'm less worried about Gladiator 2 just because Ridley Scott has proven his ability to still make good films. If it's as good as The Last Duel than that's more than fine. Beetlejuice 2 requires a different level of, I don't know, magic and creativity.

I do wish they could've done the Nick Cave script for sure though. It sounded fun, plus The Proposition whips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

nonathlon posted:

There was a time, not so long ago, when there were a lot of Traviss fans on the Internet, posting "hey Star Wars novels have a low low bar but this one author can really write, I was surprised!" Which leads you to wonder if (a) Traviss was a once promising author who rapidly lost all perspective, (b) those fans were chuds who loved the manly supersoldiers doing manly things or (c) SF fans have such low standards and self awareness, it's easy to rise above the slop.

As a sidebar, I suspect the TV show sometimes suggests that the Mandalorians aren't actually deadly badasses but actually weirdos and a bit crap. Probably unprovable but it's my fan theory.

From being around fandom at the time, her first couple SW novels were pretty well-regarded and her stuff dealing with the prequel era/clones continued to be even as people starting picking up on her weird foibles. She then got tapped to write 3 books in a 9 book series that largely consisted of her feuding with another one of the authors and them doing horrible things to each other's pet characters in their own books.

The live-action stuff is pretty invested in the idea of the Mandalorians as ultimate badasses but the Clone Wars show is actually quite a lot better about it. There's an episode where they go to the planet Mandalore, which is just a big city full of regular-rear end people and not a bunch of warriors as you might expect. Then there's a big terrorist attack involving a bunch of Boba Fett-looking dudes and the general reaction is "Christ, not these assholes again." They're portrayed more like a Hell's Angels gang than samurai or whatnot.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I can't believe Gladiator 2 and Beetlejuice 2 are both finally happening, neither with their famously previously bandied about scripts as far as I can tell. Genuinely more worried about the latter, I'm not sure I trust Burton in 2023.

Gladiator 2 following the original script would have been great. I don't see the point of making a sequel to gladiator so long after the original unless it goes in absolute crazy direction like the Nick Cave script.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

I'll add that almost twenty (!) years ago now, Traviss was very active on LiveJournal back when the first Republic Commando book came out, and she had a very different relationship with the fandom than the one that emerged a few years later. I was one of the people who talked with her then, and she was very open about how attractive she found Maori men to be. In general but also specifically Temeura Morrison (of course) but also Lani Tupu (Crais from Farscape).

look if wanting to have an orgy with temeura morrison clones is wrong, throw me in jail with traviss because I don't wanna be right

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm begging....to keep your gently caress dreams to yourself...

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Gladiator had a ending so final and out there (They literally bring back the Republic completely changing history for Christ sake) that it’s like trying to make a sequel to Inglorious Basterds.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

nonathlon posted:

There was a time, not so long ago, when there were a lot of Traviss fans on the Internet, posting "hey Star Wars novels have a low low bar but this one author can really write, I was surprised!" Which leads you to wonder if (a) Traviss was a once promising author who rapidly lost all perspective, (b) those fans were chuds who loved the manly supersoldiers doing manly things or (c) SF fans have such low standards and self awareness, it's easy to rise above the slop.

As a sidebar, I suspect the TV show sometimes suggests that the Mandalorians aren't actually deadly badasses but actually weirdos and a bit crap. Probably unprovable but it's my fan theory.

Mix of all three. First one or two of Traviss' books were pretty good, she hadn't really gone off the deep end yet. By her third book she was full on crazy. I remember one of her strongest defenders was a guy who explicitly called himself a Catholic fascist (years before online righties were comfortable being open about being fascist) so that always told me everything I needed to know about her fans.

Star Wars has had a few genuinely good authors, though (Matthew Stover the undisputed top tier).

galagazombie posted:

Gladiator had a ending so final and out there (They literally bring back the Republic completely changing history for Christ sake) that it’s like trying to make a sequel to Inglorious Basterds.

I like the idea that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is in the same alternate universe as Inglorious Basterds.

I also like that Noah had a nod to Gladiator 2 with Russell Crowe's little vision of the repeating-resurrected soldiers.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What I think they’ll probably do with Gladiator 2 is decide the Republic was not reinstated, like in real life. Declaring you’re going to do something and actually managing to do it are two very different things.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

galagazombie posted:

This really isn't that crazy to me. The idea of the Senators playing at some kind of returned Republic and then eating poo poo, a very temporary window before another Emperor is appointed or takes power, that's not bizarre or even that ahistorical at all. All it has to be is "another Ridley Scott historical epic", really. I'm glad we're getting another one so soon after Napoleon.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Gladiator 2 should be a flash forward

To American Gladiators. A real commentary on society

Rochallor posted:

From being around fandom at the time, her first couple SW novels were pretty well-regarded and her stuff dealing with the prequel era/clones continued to be even as people starting picking up on her weird foibles. She then got tapped to write 3 books in a 9 book series that largely consisted of her feuding with another one of the authors and them doing horrible things to each other's pet characters in their own books.

The live-action stuff is pretty invested in the idea of the Mandalorians as ultimate badasses but the Clone Wars show is actually quite a lot better about it. There's an episode where they go to the planet Mandalore, which is just a big city full of regular-rear end people and not a bunch of warriors as you might expect. Then there's a big terrorist attack involving a bunch of Boba Fett-looking dudes and the general reaction is "Christ, not these assholes again." They're portrayed more like a Hell's Angels gang than samurai or whatnot.

That’s what the samurai were :ssh:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

nonathlon posted:

I have to assume it's c). Timothy Zahn, who writes really fun pulp that I do thoroughly enjoy, is held up as if he's Frank Herbert. Kind of like how Dan Abnett and Aaron Dembski-Bowden are the unapproachable gold standard for warhammer writers because they can actually write dialogue and know what 'themes' are.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Themes are for Grade 8 book reports :nallears:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I know authors who use themes and they are all cowards

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
We will never get the Nick Cave script turned into a movie because Hollywood is, indeed, rife with cowardice.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

well why not posted:

Gears can be adapted, the smart way to do it is take the aesthetic and the setting and absolutely discard the plot from the games.

That sounds like an excelle-

https://gearsofwar.fandom.com/wiki/Birthing_Creche

:ohno:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Burn it all down.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

nonathlon posted:

I recently went back and read the first Republic Commando novel she wrote (Hard Contact), along with contemporary fan discussion, and it's actually interesting to see how her stuff become so popular in the context of the time. The book came out in 2004, so the Clone Wars multimedia project was in full swing, but Hard Contact was the first piece of media to really dig into a lot of the unspoken implications about the clones. Clones had been featured as individual characters before then, but Hard Contact really focused on the idea that the Clones were children in the bodies of men who had been bred for war, had no real life outside of their missions, and weren't expected to have retirement plans, let alone socialize with people outside of their immediate military group.

The Mando worship and Jedi-hating stuff was in there, but it was largely focused on the individual characters. The villain was an honorable Mandalorian who actually lived the culture the clones were only told about, and the main Jedi character was a Padawan who wasn't very good with the Force, and felt like she couldn't measure up to what a Jedi was supposed to be. As she continued to double down on how bad the clones had it, and pointed to her own decision to write the Jedi as being totally cool with the whole thing as proof that they were actually evil psychopaths and the Mandalorians were the only true heroes.

Traviss' peculiar relationship with the fans was also starting to emerge during that time as well. Back then, authors would often post on fan forums, and Traviss participated in the discussion about Hard Contact. When someone mentioned that the villain's signature weapon had been stated elsewhere to not have been invented until after Return of the Jedi, she argued with them about it until she actually got Lucasfilm involved, and they had to say "well, since it's in a canonical book now, I suppose the weapon's date of creation is earlier than previously stated", with Traviss then insisting that the retcon meant she was right all along.

There's also really poorly-aged bit where one of the Commandos is described killing a Trandoshan mercenary in gleeful detail, and the prose spends the entire passage referring to the Trandoshan as a "Tr*nny".

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Casimir Radon posted:

What I think they’ll probably do with Gladiator 2 is decide the Republic was not reinstated, like in real life. Declaring you’re going to do something and actually managing to do it are two very different things.

I’m sorry but the music was triumphant and swelling and someone gave a speech. It worked, that’s just how it is I don’t make the rules.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Robot Style posted:

There's also really poorly-aged bit where one of the Commandos is described killing a Trandoshan mercenary in gleeful detail, and the prose spends the entire passage referring to the Trandoshan as a "Tr*nny".
Wow

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's almost like these were bad books for stupid people or children

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hey, space racism is at least on brand for Star Wars.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!

Casimir Radon posted:

This was after the 5 "good" Emperors + Commodus the Mediocre*. Most likely there would have been a big old Roman Civil war, called the year or the 7 Emperors or something and no doubt, a barbarian invasion, ending with the sack of Rome, and a brand new dynasty of absolute bastards.

*being mediocre was probably a relief compared the general standards of Roman Emperors.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I mean, the reality is that Commodus being assassinated did lead to a brief civil war that ended with an army general seizing power and setting up his own dynasty.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/1722011980129779795?s=20
https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/1722011981669130459?s=20

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avi_Arad

quote:

Feature films

Producer

quote:

Morbius (2022)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Casimir Radon posted:

Finally another big time gap sequel where the survivors of the previous movie end up being grumpy complete failures lol

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avi_Arad

quote:

Feature films

Producer

quote:

Morbius (2022)

To be fair, Avi Arad's produced a ton of comic book movies that vary in quality independent of his involvement. The fact that it's a Sony movie is probably the bigger red flag to me.

Wes Ball will probably be fine as director. He's young enough that he's probably a fan of the games, and his experience on stuff like Maze Runner and Planet of the Apes hopefully means he's developed enough of a VFX vocabulary to be able to do a big fantasy adventure movie and communicate what he wants.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 7, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it's so nice of them to put aside console wars

though i wouldn't trust microsoft based on their halo treatment

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I wonder what it was about morbius that drew miyamoto to the project

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Legend of Zelda is also apparently being written by Derek Connolly—the guy who wrote the Jurassic World trilogy and co-wrote Rise of Skywalker.

It’s over.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Badass

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

No one wrote Rise of Skywalker

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I remember reading speculation that Skywalkers would replace the Jedi as a new school of Force users and it reminded me of how the speculation of the Matrix movies was way cooler than what we got.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Much like the Mario movie I'm sure it can be competent with a Nintendo commissar standing by to make sure they don't make any extra stupid changes for no reason that don't add anything.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Shneak posted:

Legend of Zelda is also apparently being written by Derek Connolly—the guy who wrote the Jurassic World trilogy and co-wrote Rise of Skywalker.

It’s over.

To be fair, Connolly co-wrote the un produced version of Episode IX which was better than Rise of Skywalker.

Also to be fair probably any script would be better than Rise of Skywalker.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Do you mean extra stupid changes that don’t add anything like constant 80s needle drops and a Tenacious D solo number

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Professor Shark posted:

I remember reading speculation that Skywalkers would replace the Jedi as a new school of Force users and it reminded me of how the speculation of the Matrix movies was way cooler than what we got.

In fairness, that's the only possible way to interpret the title of the movie. Also, that doesn't happen in the movie.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

No one wrote Rise of Skywalker

A fatal draft earlier this morning left one script written.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Robot Style posted:

To be fair, Avi Arad's produced a ton of comic book movies that vary in quality independent of his involvement. The fact that it's a Sony movie is probably the bigger red flag to me.

He has so many bad movies under his belt I have to wonder if there's some correlation....

Anyway I don't really care about a Zelda movie. I'd have more interest if it was animated.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

They should cast Chris Pratt as Link.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Everyone wrote Rise of Skywalker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ccs posted:

Anyway I don't really care about a Zelda movie. I'd have more interest if it was animated.

Ralph Bakshi presents,