Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wombot posted:

a dozen or more in attendance might go blind

The good news about 254 nm light is that it doesn’t penetrate corneal tissue (or skin tissue) all that deeply.

It’ll gently caress them up real good for a number of days, but they’re not going to go blind unless infection sets in.

P.S.: Why does this keep happening in Hong Kong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Steezo posted:

Well poo poo, that's waay too relatable, as someone who has fired more than 1,000 rounds in a week out of a USMC howitzer.

Being quoted on a paywall workaround link on the last post on a page isn't going to get this enough attention, in case anyone has suggestions here.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Maybe there's some fly-by-night event lighting techs?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Looking like Donnie's testimony is Going Well in the NYAG case:

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1721555315399799249?t=saHEw6mbrubcJXGd3DDDrg&s=19

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1721556834547359827?t=VQYyJAEMS8ms_mATqrONaA&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 6, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It would be funnier if the trial was more unfair IMO

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1721566097865085228?t=kNM8yrylzvxvwPls15h8yw&s=19

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1721572062135726111?t=SvTSmQ-gb9AguINlMWZMFQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1721577332526174586?t=kI6Jyl3fGVRVyGgdaOQK4Q&s=19

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 6, 2023

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
We are listening to him in court but scientists SHOULD be cutting apart his brain to figure out what the gently caress is wrong with him.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Combination of lead and aspartame poisoning op

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Correct me, but isn't that case where his legal team hosed up the paperwork and it is now a bench trial?

Maybe you'd want to NOT argue and belittle the guy who is keeping you from prison.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bulletsponge13 posted:

Correct me, but isn't that case where his legal team hosed up the paperwork and it is now a bench trial?

Maybe you'd want to NOT argue and belittle the guy who is keeping you from prison.

Probably not a paperwork fuckup - locals later weighed in and in this kind of business civil case, it's apparently bench trial. The checkbox probably should've never been there in the paperwork.

And the worst development for trump here is that the Trump Org goes away and him/company pays a gigantic fine, jail isn't on the table unless he fucks around with his gag order. Though he / his lawyers basically badgered the judge all day, that's all in bounds.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

bulletsponge13 posted:

It’s a civil trial. He won’t go to jail for any of it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The Eyes Have It posted:

We are listening to him in court but scientists SHOULD be cutting apart his brain to figure out what the gently caress is wrong with him.

Ah, so you have met the schoolbook definition of megalomaniacal clinical narcissistic personality disorder complex before

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1721613453801005311

Donnie Sadbrains now bending the space/time continuum.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Good investigative piece from NYT about cumulative effects of firing 10,000 or more artillery rounds on several units sent to Syria to combat ISIS and how most of them got completely hosed by the system because they had huge issues afterwards but had zero medical or service record that their issues could be formally connected to so they were instead viewed as lazy or troubled or unreliable. tldr is that cumulative exposure to blasts really fucks people up and unsurprisingly in retrospect exposure to many, many thousands does a horrifying amount of damage.

warning that it discusses multiple suicides and some genuinely horrific mental health struggles

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/05/us/us-army-marines-artillery-isis-pentagon.html

It's also kind of interesting just as a window into another part of the war against ISIS which was generally incredibly opaque in how it was conducted. In particular the latter part of it that was focused on mopping up ISIS and especially the efforts wrt removing ISIS from Raqqa was rapidly memory holed because it's basically in no one's interest to go around remembering that or digging into the details of precisely how it was accomplished.

Yeah very good read and things need to change about how artillery crews are treated

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Trump’s only going to get away with this maybe 20 or 30 more times

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Thanks for correcting me. I keep getting his poo poo confused.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

How does the whole "the loans were always paid back" defense (which doesn't excuse anything anyway) square with Trump having filed for bankruptcy six times. Sounds like plenty of loans weren't paid back.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

bulletsponge13 posted:

A) it was never going to be a jury trial; the judge corrected that misconception

B) it's a civil trial, essentially over giving the Trump Org the business death sentence. The only risk of prison here is for contempt of court.

C) Trump and his attorneys are incredibly obviously trying to bait the judge into a reaction for appeal grounds. Like far, far beyond the point that there's any doubt.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Trump's defense is that he has enough followers to challenge the validity of law as a concept

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
I disagree with your point C there. His lawyers are almost certainly trying to do that.

Trumplestiltskin is just doing his thing in front of an audience of cameras. He doesn't know we can all see the decline in his faculties, he's still the perfect golden boy as far as he and anyone around him knows.

I can't loving wait to see him in cuffs for actual crimes.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

shame on an IGA posted:

Trump's defense is that he has enough followers to challenge the validity of law as a concept

Law is literally just a collective agreement, its a long shot but its legit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Trump and the modern GOP have done an excellent job driving the point home that rules in Congress, the Executive branch, and court only exist as handcuffs the weak use to bind themselves.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

M_Gargantua posted:

conservative jurists have spent decades just making poo poo up whole cloth

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

Yeah very good read and things need to change about how artillery crews are treated

There was a Team House podcast episode with a mortar Ranger who was in Syria. He said a lot of his guys also had issues after thousands of rounds over multiple deployments. It definitely isn't just related to artillery guys.

A while back I worked with a guy that was anti tank in the 80s and used the Dragon. I don't know what his faculties were like beforehand, but man he definitely had some effects. Guy was goofy as all hell too.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
That article made me wonder how many WWII guys who sat inside ship turrets firing thousands of shells into Pacific islands came to terrible ends afterwards.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Steezo posted:

Considering how most of the guys from my old battery from the invasion of Iraq are some kind of nuts, that scans.

Mortars here but yeah. I had a bad run of years (panic attacks, bad anger, major alcohol problems) after my EAS in 2007 but was able to get at least most of my life in order over the last fifteen years. A lot of guys in my old platoon are still having problems (and we had a couple suicides, too), and I don't know enough to say if they're physical problems from years in a gun crew or the general mental problems marines (and other military members) have while trying to become civilians again. Probably both.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Xenoborg posted:

How does the whole "the loans were always paid back" defense (which doesn't excuse anything anyway) square with Trump having filed for bankruptcy six times. Sounds like plenty of loans weren't paid back.

This case only concerns post 2014 and 2016 things because of statutes of limitations. The bankruptcies were all prior to this.

The issues in this case is Trump kept two sets of books. He had one set for tax valuation and one that he would show to banks for loans. He claimed the ones showed to banks was based upon discounted cash flow valuations when they were, in fact, based upon whatever Trump felt the value should be. For example, Trump admitted that one location in NY never made anything close to the value he claimed. He instead said it was valued on the potential sale price he could name if IBM or Tiffanies (the neighbors) wanted to expand.

He committed fraud by inflating the value of his assets and lying to the banks about it in order to secure more favorable loan terms or meet the loan requirements. The banks were damaged to the tune of $186m that they would have made in additional interest rates. These loans have mostly been paid off by suing the lender and/or lowballing them to close them out. Banks don't care because they can get higher rates today and are fine with closing them out. He also did not technically default on any of the loans to force the bank to pursue action against him.

Trump was find liable for fraud but the remaining counts had to be determined at trail because they required a showing of materiality and intent that they couldn't do at the summary judgment stage. All of these things have been shown at trial, and the judge is going to find against Trump on all counts.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
This was too good not to post
https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/1721719656300315127?t=4F3s6-3mxkY_unQMjb414Q&s=19

Also can't wait to find out what skeletons the new Speaker of the House has in his closet.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I got a push poll the other day for Gov Murphy’s wife as a primary challenger.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Xenoborg posted:

Not the ones involved in this case.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1721999636309709226

"I'm worth more than I let the government know. By committing this fraud, I did not commit FRAUD! BOOM, Racist AG Letitia James, OWNED!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
New strategy: Trump has Capgras delusion but for money.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1721999636309709226

"I'm worth more than I let the government know. By committing this fraud, I did not commit FRAUD! BOOM, Racist AG Letitia James, OWNED!"

Lol peekaboo. He still got it! And by got it I mean brain worms.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
First election results are in!

https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1722026392315904350?t=0hVrv8CSMhpgJrHbh3yP_A&s=19

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Please clap.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

ASAPI posted:

Please clop.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Shhh, this is how you summon mike pence :gonk:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
One of your new favorites for 2028: https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1722047246512832967?t=CnzqSlRK7jSnjoDY28Wg7w&s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Ohio Republicans indeed did a fucky wucky.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1722062934023483640?t=CXv24IbAXjWFlzToC_8pCw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Right to choose gets a win and indicates a bellwether which could roll to next year to continue to gently caress the GOP? Get fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked, Christofascists.