Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i juest don't like seeing people get brought out of comfort to go to wwf by a bunch of lie rear end guys' lies. or anywhere that has lie rear end guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Do we have any idea who is funding Sukeban yet. I have tried to stay on top of this but the people I expected to know had no idea but maybe it has been reported and I missed it.

I am not suggesting it's anything sinister I am just curious who is behind it.

I was also curious about this from the beginning and snooping around Instagram tags has led me to believe that this is a project hatched by Olympia Le-Tan, a successful fashion designer from a wealthy and well-connected family in the worlds of art and fashion. If you search her name you will see a lot of results about her handbag label. Her father, Pierre, was an illustrator who did covers for The New Yorker and Harper's Bazaar.

This explains a lot of the peculiarities of the promotion: the focus on the promoter's original gimmicks and costume designs, the fact it debuted in a fancy historical NYC ballroom, the announcement about landing a deal for original anime content, and of course the obviously high budget.

She's a complete outsider to the world of pro-wrestling, so I suppose it's no surprise that there isn't much information about her and the inner workings of the promotion amongst the wrestling community. However, she's far from the typical cash-strapped and hopeless American indie promoter. This person has the connections and money to keep this thing going at its current scale for as long as she likes, even if it doesn't seem like she has a truly profitable business model at the moment.

So, the good news is it's not some pervert who got into the business for fleeting Twitter clout. The bad news is it's a nepo baby who seems more focused on this as an art project than a pro-wrestling promotion.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I wonder what her interest in wrestling is, though I guess anyone can be a fan.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

So it's Gwen Stefani hiring a bunch of Japanese women to stand next to her but wrestling?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

just rust posted:

I was also curious about this from the beginning and snooping around Instagram tags has led me to believe that this is a project hatched by Olympia Le-Tan, a successful fashion designer from a wealthy and well-connected family in the worlds of art and fashion. If you search her name you will see a lot of results about her handbag label. Her father, Pierre, was an illustrator who did covers for The New Yorker and Harper's Bazaar.

This explains a lot of the peculiarities of the promotion: the focus on the promoter's original gimmicks and costume designs, the fact it debuted in a fancy historical NYC ballroom, the announcement about landing a deal for original anime content, and of course the obviously high budget.

She's a complete outsider to the world of pro-wrestling, so I suppose it's no surprise that there isn't much information about her and the inner workings of the promotion amongst the wrestling community. However, she's far from the typical cash-strapped and hopeless American indie promoter. This person has the connections and money to keep this thing going at its current scale for as long as she likes, even if it doesn't seem like she has a truly profitable business model at the moment.

So, the good news is it's not some pervert who got into the business for fleeting Twitter clout. The bad news is it's a nepo baby who seems more focused on this as an art project than a pro-wrestling promotion.

The loving French...

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Alaois posted:

The loving French...

right when sakisama retires too, very intruiging

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oh her Instagram is full of stuff about Sukeban and it's in her profile

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder what her interest in wrestling is, though I guess anyone can be a fan.

She could be a lifelong wrestling fan for all we know.

If not, the promotion's creative is obviously inspired by a specific Japanese pop culture aesthetic that I think artist types would see as having a lot of synergy with pro-wrestling as a performance art.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh her Instagram is full of stuff about Sukeban and it's in her profile

Yeah, her involvement is not exactly a secret but there isn't much overlap between her circles and pro-wrestling circles. I don't know if she's the money but it's hard to imagine she isn't bankrolling it or helping find the backers needed to run with such a high budget.

just rust fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 8, 2023

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i will enjoy it while it lasts

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I think it kinda rules on a lot of levels, but I know that's the part of me who thought the ideas behind WRP were Kinda Neat and loves weird art projects talking. I doubt it'll last long but it'll be fun while it does.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I think it kinda rules on a lot of levels, but I know that's the part of me who thought the ideas behind WRP were Kinda Neat and loves weird art projects talking. I doubt it'll last long but it'll be fun while it does.

I'm split right down the middle right now. I can't really tell if it's a cool art project/experimental promotion or if it's just "Gwen Stefani harajuku girls" but wrestling

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they have good selections in entrance music

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I will say, it must be sick as hell as a wrestler to get a job and be told they have an official milliner

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm split right down the middle right now. I can't really tell if it's a cool art project/experimental promotion or if it's just "Gwen Stefani harajuku girls" but wrestling

I don't really see how it's any more like this than, say, Spark or Kitsune or any of the other recent US-based joshi promotions

e: Outside of stuff that effects actual social change, starting weird artsy wrestling promotions is basically the best thing the absurdly wealthy can possibly do with their wealth imo

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 8, 2023

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Sareee joining harajuku stars is probably the most likely outcome right? Or does she debut with a stable of her own?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Johnny Landmine posted:

I don't really see how it's any more like this than, say, Spark or Kitsune or any of the other recent US-based joshi promotions

e: Outside of stuff that effects actual social change, starting weird artsy wrestling promotions is basically the best thing the absurdly wealthy can possibly do with their wealth imo

It's the lucha underground aspect of it that has me on the fence. I like it but it's also kind of weird having a bunch of established Joshi wrestlers play these not very creative characters.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Sareee joining harajuku stars is probably the most likely outcome right? Or does she debut with a stable of her own?

They announced that she is joining cherry bomb girls when they announced the signing.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

While I was super skeptical at the beginning, my opinion on Sukeban now is more or less where the rest of you are at. I'm not in love with the characters they've created for this promotion but it's an interesting novelty to keep an eye on while it lasts.

I should stress that I'm not delivering a scoop here, I'm just making an inference based on social media. Le-Tan might not be at the top of the organization but her being in that position seems to fit really well with what we know.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://twitter.com/Apwjto/status/1722187871506071908

Oh, this is going to be fun.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Gettin' a drink with cool gals.
https://twitter.com/Kagurashuzo/status/1722158003745591552

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Johnny Landmine posted:

The business model behind Sukeban and those other two promotions you mentioned are totally different. Sukeban wants to build up and sell an IP for media rights, Spark and Kitsune are just running shows with mostly joshi wrestlers.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Pylons posted:

Sukeban wants to build up and sell an IP for media rights,

i've really been wondering about this. i'm honestly surprised the first show is on youtube, given that i thought they were doing the live broadcast as a quick stunt and then were going to edit it down into taped content to shop around. that said it has 18k views which is honestly good numbers for youtube wrestling that isn't wwe/aew, so it might be helping show interest

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

New International Princess Champ, this changes everything

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Didn't Max win that a month ago

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tampa Bae posted:

Didn't Max win that a month ago

Yes, but when did the Sinister Minister beat Max?

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

I cant wait until the Sinister Minister faces Raku

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Duke Pukem posted:

I cant wait until the Sinister Minister faces Raku

He'll break out of God Raku's spell of sleep with the power of COCAINE

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Hanan has appendicitis and is off this weekend's shows. STARDOM's curse continues apace.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Kinda unusual card for the next TJPW show.
https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1722494228863824164

Also, will Demonio avenge his brother? (prolly not)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Oh,it's the venue DDT often use for explosion matches. Seems a not natural choice for TJPW

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I hope Rika befriends the monster again <3

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Snooze Cruise posted:

I hope Rika befriends the monster again <3

Its not nice to call Miu a monster

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
https://twitter.com/jimmygabagool/status/1723204102472053058 :twisted:

https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1723219000610726284 :getin:

An interview with Miyu.
https://twitter.com/MonthlyPuroresu/status/1722656744378396935

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/PWKitsune/status/1723418835867582480

lol

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Didn't know it was possible to think Thekla was any cooler, but I just found out she used to have a punk band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QXNQH3qncM

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Saree-ISM Chapter 3 is coming, 16th January, & the former magical school girl has given us another killer card

Azusa & Tomoka Inaba vs Mio Momono & Riko Kawahata
Arisa Nakajima & Kaoru Ito vs Hiiragi Kurumi & Unagi Sayaka
Miyuki Takase vs Takumi Iroha
Aja Kong & Jaguar Yokota vs Chi Chi & Kizuna Tanaka in your legends vs people with less than a year's experience battle
Chihiro Hashimoto vs Sareee!!!

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Mayu is missing Gold Rush with a dislocated finger. Not sure what she was doing on the show

forkboy84 posted:

Saree-ISM Chapter 3 is coming, 16th January, & the former magical school girl has given us another killer card

Azusa & Tomoka Inaba vs Mio Momono & Riko Kawahata
Arisa Nakajima & Kaoru Ito vs Hiiragi Kurumi & Unagi Sayaka
Miyuki Takase vs Takumi Iroha
Aja Kong & Jaguar Yokota vs Chi Chi & Kizuna Tanaka in your legends vs people with less than a year's experience battle
Chihiro Hashimoto vs Sareee!!!

Hell yes another Sareee/Hashimoto match. Sounds like a great show.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Waka is taking a break to heal her back. :(
https://twitter.com/Waka_Mm3/status/1724389539459092949

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what do yhou think the new rookie's name will be. i bet it will be misaki yoshida. give me $50 if i'm right

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

its YUZUKI. sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

actually fairly excited for this new blood show. the rookie is supposedly the class standout and momo is a really good first opponent. mei & suzu in singles matches & the evogirls showing up. not quite as excited for the ppv the next day but SLK being back is nice & saori will probably try and kill herself a couple of times. #thoughts