Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Press F to Hair Flip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He's the Cannonball Champion of Spring Break.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Sandman McMahon posted:

One of my favourite parts of the wwe games is making guys like Nash do suicide dives and Canadian destroyers and poo poo. Not sure what this has to do with anything.

Tall Paul doing insano tilt-a-wirl head scissors is my favorite thing to do since like WWF 2000

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sandman McMahon posted:

One of my favourite parts of the wwe games is making guys like Nash do suicide dives and Canadian destroyers and poo poo. Not sure what this has to do with anything.

Somebody posted this in here already but I was legit impressed by Nash doing a leapfrog over The Giant and then flying over the ropes onto the big man.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...web2x&context=3

In any event, I'm going through the retro reviews again for a bit. Is 95-97 WCW the absolute peak of Lex Luger's career? It has to be. He was so ungodly over and his character and the storylines with him were perfect. Really generic music, though.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Animal-Mother posted:

I'm shocked Big Kev doesn't have contract stipulations with the video game companies that say his character doesn't do moves like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQwgU8zUFfo

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

NikkolasKing posted:

Somebody posted this in here already but I was legit impressed by Nash doing a leapfrog over The Giant and then flying over the ropes onto the big man.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...web2x&context=3

In any event, I'm going through the retro reviews again for a bit. Is 95-97 WCW the absolute peak of Lex Luger's career? It has to be. He was so ungodly over and his character and the storylines with him were perfect. Really generic music, though.

His win over Hogan on Nitro for the title is still one of my favorite WCW moments. His tweener stuff with Sting was also really good

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Dawgstar posted:

I believe the very simple front facelock also let Chris Jericho beat Bill Goldberg in their backstage altercation.

Foley talked about another altercation between St. Buddy Lee Parker and...somebody that ended the same way and he mentioned 'yeah most fights just end with front facelocks'

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

ChrisBTY posted:

St. Buddy Lee Parker

Man alive, the Pope will just make anybody a saint these days.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ChrisBTY posted:

Foley talked about another altercation between St. Buddy Lee Parker and...somebody that ended the same way and he mentioned 'yeah most fights just end with front facelocks'

I forgot Parker was also Braun the Leprechaun. And evil military man Jack Boot. God bless.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jericho's account of the Goldberg fight was pretty funny. Paraphrasing, "Okay I know exactly one shoot move, a front facelock. Annnnnd...he's not moving. Someone help before he wakes up and kills me"

Then Goldberg woke up and ran him through a door, the fight was broken up

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I remember seeing some video of a guy who didn't know anything about wrestling going behind the scenes at the Power Plant. He was talking to Parker about wrestling then started asking questions about his storylines work and how they coordinate in the ring or whatever, and Parker just has a deer in headlights look. Felt like no one told him what the interview was about and he was struggling to find a way to answer without breaking kayfabe.

Or maybe he just can't interview.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I remember seeing some video of a guy who didn't know anything about wrestling going behind the scenes at the Power Plant. He was talking to Parker about wrestling then started asking questions about his storylines work and how they coordinate in the ring or whatever, and Parker just has a deer in headlights look. Felt like no one told him what the interview was about and he was struggling to find a way to answer without breaking kayfabe.

Or maybe he just can't interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWg_gaFx-lg

I think its Weird Weekends

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

"You're doing a documentary about wrestling and you don't know who I am?"

"... we just started"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

"How do the wrestlers know what's gonna happen when they come out to the ring, do you know what I mean?"

"No I don't."

Buddy Lee Parker, protecting the business

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Raeg posted:

"You're doing a documentary about wrestling and you don't know who I am?"

"... we just started"

lol

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Pistol Pez was great, man.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Animal-Mother posted:

Pistol Pez was great, man.

Yep

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

have you seen the Great Muta yet?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Suplex Liberace posted:

What's so great about him?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

You get the Great moniker once you learn how to spit poison.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Suplex Liberace posted:

No. I'm half-way through chi-town rumble.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

oh man thats a great rear end main event. No one spoil hoot on anything please

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Suplex Liberace posted:

oh man thats a great rear end main event. No one spoil hoot on anything please

The first 4 matches were fun. I stopped at the Lugar v Windham match. I'm pumped for the next 4.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Suplex Liberace posted:

Tajiri got robbed

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

Tajiri got robbed

the wwf never respects wrestling tradition

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Finished up Chi-Town Rumble. The last matches were pretty good. The Lugar v Windham match was fun with these huge guys just throwing each other all over. Road warriors vs variety club was weaker because sullivan and Williams are better wrestlers than the road warriors and a couple of times you could see the varisty club having to work to set road warriors up.

Flair v steamboat was a brutal match with a reverse dusty finish. im glad they didnt go with the dusty finish. Steamboat and flair work great with each other and the back and forth slaps are 2nd only to garvin v flair.

Lmao at the steamboat interview being interrupted by Ricky getting a face full of champagne that started stinging his eyes.

I like were all the various stories are at leaving this PPV. The final fall of the Horsemen was well done.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You're running into the era where the Roadies stop getting teams that bump like maniacs for them like the Express and Horsemen did and go up against people of comparable size and it doesn't work as well.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Suplex Liberace posted:

So what did Khali ever spit.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Open Marriage Night posted:

George "The Animal" Steele told a story at a book signing about how they all got Warrior in a corner during a battle royale, and tied his tassels to the ropes.

This doesn't reflect well on me as an empathetic human being.

But stories of how the other wrestlers not liking and being mean to noted "arsehole" wrestlers, (like Andre throwing beer cans at Hogan's head, or noted racist and homophobe Warrior being bullied and laughed at by the other wrestlers), warm my heart.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

BrigadierSensible posted:

Andre throwing beer cans at Hogan's head

I think that was just their system of counting the cans so Hogan would know when to pull over and get more.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
andre drank a six pack for breakfast

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVfcLW6Q8SU

I don't think I've ever seen a proper Road Warriors match. In fact, I've seen very little of the classic tag teams. But what makes me curious about Hawk and Animal is their best skillset seems to be stuff like this. I mainly judge based on what Bryan and Vinny say in their Retro reviews but isn't the essence of tag team wrestling heat and hot tags? "Playing Ricky Morton" as it's called? For my generation it was the Hardyz and specifically Jeff in this babyface in peril role.

Just looking at these two, and listening to Bryan always declaring "Hawk can't sell," makes me wonder if they had big, 5 star tag matches full of action and drama?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Road Warriors only had the one style and it was "we're going to beat you up for a while"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVfcLW6Q8SU

I don't think I've ever seen a proper Road Warriors match. In fact, I've seen very little of the classic tag teams. But what makes me curious about Hawk and Animal is their best skillset seems to be stuff like this. I mainly judge based on what Bryan and Vinny say in their Retro reviews but isn't the essence of tag team wrestling heat and hot tags? "Playing Ricky Morton" as it's called? For my generation it was the Hardyz and specifically Jeff in this babyface in peril role.

Just looking at these two, and listening to Bryan always declaring "Hawk can't sell," makes me wonder if they had big, 5 star tag matches full of action and drama?

The Road Warriors had a specific formula of "chasing a pair of jerks and finally getting their hands on them." This worked good when it was the Horsemen or the Midnights because they'd make you think the Roadies were killing them, less so when it was teams like the Powers of Pain or the Samoan SWAT Team who were as big or bigger. It wasn't so much about Hawk and Animal's workrate or whatever but more the catharsis of seeing a pair of heels you hated get what was coming to them and you'd don't need a long match to do that. They honestly broke the southern tag team style mold and did really well at it for a long time but kept on doing when it had gotten stale against teams it wasn't good against and that was the problem. (PG-13 actually was good about it here.)

"Hawk can't sell" is Bryan just being reductive, though. He didn't need usually need to sell but would when it made sense. The problem is fans didn't particularly want to see the Road Warriors laid out because that's what they did to other people.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
This gets me thinking, today we tend to identify wrestlers with their best matches, but back then a rising star's image was often defined by how they trounced jobbers week after week.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Halloween Jack posted:

This gets me thinking, today we tend to identify wrestlers with their best matches, but back then a rising star's image was often defined by how they trounced jobbers week after week.

it was so cool

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Same reason Warrior was so popular, really. There was something about Honky Tonk Man going on a two year title run of bullshit and then Warrior appears to kill him in ten seconds

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

It's part of why people loved Sid. Say what you want but he could squash a skinny dude with a mullet like nobody else.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Sid was great on the surface. Big guy, instantly recognizeable with the blonde curls, intensity cranked up to ten kerjillion, yelley/screamy, murdered the living poo poo out of jobbers with big satisfying power moves. Sid took himself 100% seriously and people responded in kind.

The issue is that once you move past the surface and need to get more than a squash out of Sid, there's nothing there, and it's why once you've seen the Sid act a couple of times and need something more, the appeal went away and thus usually did Sid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

C. Everett Koop posted:

once softball season started, the appeal went away and thus usually did Sid.