Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

withak posted:

You should just use regular floss, those single-use plastic flossing tools are very wasteful.

Suck it, turtle lover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

So something is definitely up with the thermals on these pro models right? I’ve had a 15 pro for two weeks and I’m already getting messages about charging being halted because of the device temperature. I had heat issues with my 12 pro also but they didn’t start until the device was about two years old. Yes I have updated to 17.1.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No thermal issues here, mine's been cool as a cucumber. And that was before Apple put out the fix for the CPU randomly going insanely hot.

Granted, I haven't let it sit in the passenger seat of the car in the hottest part of summer yet. That's the only time I've ever had any heat warnings on my phone. Check back in nine months!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I don’t even have a usb a to c cable for my car yet lol.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My 15 pro max never had a problem until two nights ago I plugged it in at 40% and I saw a notification pop up at 60% that it was too hot to continue charging. Same cable, charger, and outlet as always. Phone wasn't running anything, screen off. Hasn't happened again since. Current on all updates.

They definitely gotta figure out what's going on.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I had that camera bug happen once, like the first week I had the phone.

Fine since then.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My brothers 15 Pro just up and died on him in the middle of the night. :3: Rogers told him to gently caress himself and wait for a new one to come in a week. Somethin about the main board but I wasn't with him.

Also noticed my 14 Pro battery is going to poo poo just after a year - 92% and seems to wittle down with very basic usage. Usually about 50% by end of the work day and that's just sitting in my pocket, some texting and social media browsing. I did notice that my iMessage settings was changed back to holding EVERYTHING when I specifically set it to 30 days for space and loading issues. Maybe that was the cause... doubt it though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apple trying to skirt the EU’s digital market act, since Safari qualifies as gatekeeper platform, claimed that Safari is actually three different browsers, one for each platform (phone, tablet and Mac). It’s kind of insulting.

I wonder if they’re going to gently caress over non-EU countries by restricting installs of non-WebKit browsers anyhow, once they’re forced to allow them in the EU.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
12 mini reports 80% battery capacity. I was trying to charge it while on a Facetime call and after 10 minutes it overheated and cut off. I cooled it down and continued the call on battery and it took it from 80 to 40% in half an hour.

Come on, phone. Hold out until the 16 Pro drops. Go the full 4 years. I didn't spend all this time being apparently the last person on Earth who appreciates having an iPhone that's the Correct Size for you to die on me now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Fedule posted:

12 mini reports 80% battery capacity. I was trying to charge it while on a Facetime call and after 10 minutes it overheated and cut off. I cooled it down and continued the call on battery and it took it from 80 to 40% in half an hour.

Come on, phone. Hold out until the 16 Pro drops. Go the full 4 years. I didn't spend all this time being apparently the last person on Earth who appreciates having an iPhone that's the Correct Size for you to die on me now.

Not to be too negative, but it’s def not worth waiting a year in that condition.

-iPhone 15 is fine and there are a lot of promos (in the US at least)
-if anything, Apple will swap the battery for $80-100.

You use your phone for so many things every day, if anything $100 to make your next year easier is totally worth it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fedule posted:

Your battery is shot.

The iPhones were JUST refreshed. Waiting for the 16 seem like a bad idea.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Alternate approach: the phone is only four years old and Apple will put a shiny new battery in it for a tiny fraction of what a new phone costs.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Yeah if youre going to hold onto that phone for another year, just go put the equivalent cost of two tanks of gas in it so that it’s functional

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jose Oquendo posted:

Your battery is shot.

The iPhones were JUST refreshed. Waiting for the 16 seem like a bad idea.

Dude, it only costs like, a hundred to replace the battery, and it'll last another three years, because phone SoC's are overpowered for what normal people need.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Ogmius815 posted:

So something is definitely up with the thermals on these pro models right? I’ve had a 15 pro for two weeks and I’m already getting messages about charging being halted because of the device temperature. I had heat issues with my 12 pro also but they didn’t start until the device was about two years old. Yes I have updated to 17.1.

I had maybe one or two occasions where my phone felt noticeably hot not long after I got it and post the iOS update addressing the issue but haven't had any since.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Lady Gaza posted:

I’ve got an old iPhone Xs with a degraded battery (79% health) and a cracked screen, that I want to fix up and give to my mother. I want to get the battery replaced by Apple but the screen replaced by a third party - it’s like a third of the price vs Apple replacing the screen. However I’ve not been able to confirm if Apple would replace the battery if the screen was non-genuine. I imagine it’s best to get the screen sorted first as it’s in whit

This was what Apple support said:

“Naturally Apple just help devices that has the original parts, this is cause sometimes the third party can fix something. But in the process, can spoil something. However, you can get the device to be inspected by the technician but I can assure that they can bring service to the device.

If the iPhone is fixed by a third party, the device has no more warranty, so Apple can deny the service. But as I told you, the technician will be the one that has the last word on this.”

And when I asked about getting the battery replaced while the screen is still cracked:

“If the screen is cracked, but has not been fixed by a third part, a special technician will check the device, let you know the expectations about the replacement, and will replace the battery then.”

However I’ve seen online on Apple forums they won’t replace a battery if the screen is damaged. So not particularly helpful. Any insight from anyone? I’m in the UK if relevant.

If anyone is interested, I went to the store and Apple wouldn’t replace the battery with the screen broken. A third party screen fix might trigger a non-genuine part warning, which I’m not wanting to risk. So it seems my only option is to spend £289 for a screen and £85 for a battery, if I want to use the phone.

…any recommendations for cases that protect corners? It’s always the bottom left of the screen that I crack.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I’ve quite enjoyed the thin otterbox cases. The Symmetry line I think it is. It’s not their super bulky style.

It also is a plain style with nothing on the back and just a small embossed “Otterbox” on the side. I despise cases with apple logo cutouts.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:wtf:

So usually when you have Airpods in and someone sends you a message, it usually just says "<whoever> sent you a picture. Reply?" or something equally as useless.
I'm on the 17.2 public beta and Siri just described, in detail, a picture my kid sent me. It was like "a picture of a statue with a man riding a horse, underneth a rainbow on a rainy day." That rules.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:wtf:

So usually when you have Airpods in and someone sends you a message, it usually just says "<whoever> sent you a picture. Reply?" or something equally as useless.
I'm on the 17.2 public beta and Siri just described, in detail, a picture my kid sent me. It was like "a picture of a statue with a man riding a horse, underneth a rainbow on a rainy day." That rules.

Do you know if the image had alt text?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do you know if the image had alt text?

Not that I know of. It was a pic my kid just snapped.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

PirateDentist posted:

I despise cases with apple logo cutouts.

I like them because I can put a picture in there

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Siri describing photos is a Voice Over feature, you can turn it on in Settings->Accessibility if you want to experiment with it.

Sounds like they just expanded it so that images passing through iMessage get it automatically.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Someone text me goatse I wanna see how Siri describes it

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is a photo of…oh boy…uh, this is a photograph of a man, most likely in middle age, wearing a gold ring. He is posing for the camera in a highly distinctive way. His face is not visible.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It doesn't seem to work on every photo. I'm guessing it needs to be a certain resolution or have certain items in it maybe? When I told my buddy about this, he immediately sent me a small pic of shirtless Brady Quinn, and Siri did not describe his rock hard pecs or biceps, unfortunately.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

PM me your apple id and I will absolutely do this

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

17.1.1 is out. Fixes:

"In rare circumstances, Apple Pay and other NFC features may become unavailable on iPhone 15 models after wireless charging in certain cars."

"Weather Lock Screen widget may not correctly display snow."

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I can't even get my phone to wireless charge in my Tacoma so no skin off my nose

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Rageaholic posted:

Yayyy! That was making me absolutely red-assed.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Rageaholic posted:

17.1.1 is out. Fixes:

"In rare circumstances, Apple Pay and other NFC features may become unavailable on iPhone 15 models after wireless charging in certain cars."

This would seem indicate that all those iPhones that had Apple Pay break because of charging in their BMWs weren’t permanent hardware failures…interesting.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Fedule posted:

I had a similar issue with my 12 mini that persisted through battery replacement. I fixed it with a full factory reset with no restore from back up. So try a factory reset before or after a battery replacement to see if that solves the problem. I think at least 2 other people I’ve suggested this to have gotten this to work as well.

slave to my cravings posted:

I ended up doing a factory reset with no restore from back up and it seems to have fixed the problem. It could have been a location services issue or find my phone issue or something related to migrating the phone across 3 different generations. Either way it seems to have worked and I went like 4 hours without my phone dropping a single % from 100 while on low power mode. I’ve kept location services off for now but still pretty wild. Find my phone is still on but location is disabled for it so you can ping it but won’t see its location on a map.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Finally getting an iPhone 15 Pro soon then and figured I should get some nice MagSafe accessories for it since it'll be all new to me. Was going to pick up the below stand and have StandBy on as a bedside clock, but any other unexpectedly useful recommendations for accessories, or even (relatively cheap) MagSafe compatible cases? I have a nice case coming, but it's nice to switch them out every so often.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Wireless-Charging-PowerWave-Magnetic-Black/dp/B094FMWPPM/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only MagSafe accessories that exist still are stands (whether charging or not), pop socket alternatives and wallets.

It hasn’t really taken off.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Aphrodite posted:

The only MagSafe accessories that exist still are stands (whether charging or not), pop socket alternatives and wallets.

It hasn’t really taken off.

Was MagSafe more of an Ive thing?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
there are magsafe camera mounts too but yeah it's pretty bare - the magsafe stuff i do have is very useful! (i just use it for charging stands in the car and at my desk)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My MagSafe stand kinda sucks. It’s not easy to find the sweet spot to get the magnet to stick when you’re not concentrating and the phone is always askew unless I orient it manually.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I like the MagSafe popsocket

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
the pop socket is the single most degenerate phone accessory

even moreso than those landscape orientation game controller mounts that make your phone look like a nintendo switch

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I think we discussed it a month or two ago but my wife and I really like the apple magsafe battery charger. It doesn't have a ton of capacity but it's enough to keep us going if we're out and about all day and fits nicely into a pocket. Not having to run a wire from a battery bank is a nice QoL upgrade, though I still carry one in my backpack just in case. Apparently Apple discontinued them when the 15 came out for some reason but pretty sure you can still get them on Amazon for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Magsafe is cool, sure it didn't revolutionize phone gadgets but the stuff it is good at I'd be pretty bummed to lose.