Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/introducing-raspberry-pi-5/#comment-1594055

The Raspberry Pi 5 does not have any hardware video encoding support and only has HEVC for hardware video decoding. All other encoding and decoding is done in software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I spent a while trying to get good H264 encoding on the Pi4 and I agree with that comment: it's not very good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My best video out of the pi has come from taking stills and assembling with ffmpeg on my desktop.

Using the camera module 3 you can get 4608 × 2592 stills which turns into a fantastic looking video. But the pi3 can only take an image every 1.3 seconds at that resolution without hitting overruns. Drop to 1080p and you can capture at 0.3 seconds. 480p or smaller is 0.1 seconds.

So not exactly real time but it's great for timelapses.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

I spent a while trying to get good H264 encoding on the Pi4 and I agree with that comment: it's not very good.

I should have clarified: I was doing hardware encoding.

That work is in a git repo, in case anybody wants it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just noticed that the 4 pin header on the rpi5 moved so they have to release a new poe hat to work with it.

Seems suboptimal to me, but what do I know.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone messed around with epaper screens? I got a small one from waveshare and their warnings about using epaper are kind of at odds with my expectations.

For one: "After refreshing partially several times, you need to fully refresh EPD once. Otherwise, the display effect will be abnormal, which cannot be repaired!" What kind of damage are they talking about and how many partial refreshes is "several times?"

The next: "When using the e-Paper display, it is recommended that the refresh interval is at least 180s, and refresh at least once every 24 hours." Is this based on the underlying epaper tech? Because I have a six year old kindle that has shown the same image for months at a time and shown no side effects.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The kindle is probably using more advanced epaper tech than whatever waveshare is putting into their cheap hobby models. I have one of those and was messing with it a bit until something wacky happened and it died. I'm not really sure what even happened. I was experimenting with driving it with a microcontroller and then all of a sudden my power supply went from no current to like .3 amps and then the eink thing was dead.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
ePaper displays work by using electrostatic charges to shift "white" and "black" particles (which each have a positive or negative charge) around within cells inside the display. The reason you need to do a periodic full display refresh (where the image inverts one or more times before changing to a new one) is to ensure that all the particles of a given charge all stay together and do not mix with each other or become oppositely charged. If the particles become mixed the display will have lower contrast and if they become very mixed the display might become unusable. "Quick" refreshes where you just change whatever pixels directly from black to white or vice versa without inverting them is much more likely to result in the particles getting mixed together.

This information is mostly based on what I remember from this video I watched a while ago (about how ePaper displays work and how you can hack them for quicker refreshes) so I might be slightly off. I'd highly suggest watching the video if you want to learn more about these displays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsbiO8EAsGw

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I've got an Aranet4 with an eink screen and it appears to prevent damage just by doing that thing where the screen turns all black and then all white before displaying the updated information. Not a big deal at all in a device that only updates every 10 minutes.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Yeah, this video is a pro-click for those displays.

Keep us updated on how it goes… I really want that tech to get more availability/attention than it does currently. I just need to find a project I can use it for

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Honestly, I've been trying to come up with a good use-case for them for years, but they really are tailor-made for ereaders and almost nothing else.

Even weather stations are only an OK use, because personally I wonder how long it would be of looking at "it's gonna rain" it would be before I realised that it crashed, or the batteries died.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ante posted:

Even weather stations are only an OK use, because personally I wonder how long it would be of looking at "it's gonna rain" it would be before I realised that it crashed, or the batteries died.

Have it update the time whenever it updates the weather? Or for something subtler pick a random one of 4 corners to darken a pixel in, and you can see if it’s changing over time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I chose epaper largely because I haven't messed with them yet and it seemed cool to play with. But I'm building a status display for a camera sequencer and I want it to be readable during the day and not emit light at night (because LCD screens when doing astronomy are drat annoying). Seems like an ideal use case for epaper.

Previously I did this with some dim LEDS and now I'm kind of paralyzed by choice, I can display so much more information I am not sure where to start.

Subjunctive posted:

Or for something subtler pick a random one of 4 corners to darken a pixel in, and you can see if it’s changing over time.

That's what I've done in the past. On LCD screens I'd have them update once per second, cycling through the "| / - \" characters. Kinda looks like a pinwheel when animated and gives positive feedback that stuff hasn't crashed.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Subjunctive posted:

Have it update the time whenever it updates the weather? Or for something subtler pick a random one of 4 corners to darken a pixel in, and you can see if it’s changing over time.

Sure, as I said, it is an OK use-case. But even then, depending on where I put it, may as well have something plugged in all the time, with a much nicer LCD screen.

xzzy posted:

I chose epaper largely because I haven't messed with them yet and it seemed cool to play with. But I'm building a status display for a camera sequencer and I want it to be readable during the day and not emit light at night (because LCD screens when doing astronomy are drat annoying). Seems like an ideal use case for epaper.

Previously I did this with some dim LEDS and now I'm kind of paralyzed by choice, I can display so much more information I am not sure where to start.

That's what I've done in the past. On LCD screens I'd have them update once per second, cycling through the "| / - \" characters. Kinda looks like a pinwheel when animated and gives positive feedback that stuff hasn't crashed.

Okay this actually rules. To start: just duplicate your LED status indicators.

Then use it.

Then add one more feature.

And so on.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

VictualSquid posted:

The main complaint about the RPI power situation has always been about its enormous power usage spikes that need a power supply 3 times the size that the average power draw suggests.

I usually get around that by just pinning the clock rate to powersave, although that is probably a terrible idea for most use cases.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Mr.Radar posted:

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/introducing-raspberry-pi-5/#comment-1594055

The Raspberry Pi 5 does not have any hardware video encoding support and only has HEVC for hardware video decoding. All other encoding and decoding is done in software.

I hope there’s OpenCL support for Raspberry Pi 5 at some point, then, and maybe we’ll get something nearly as good that can encode higher resolutions at speed with less of a power draw.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Here's a fairly useless thing to do with them (they've stopped doing this now)

https://x.com/ScarbsTech/status/1583081812808863747

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=356991

Oh, the rpi 5 has an rtc with features like wakeup!

Having an RTC actually makes me want to pick one up now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That might be a killer feature for me and the 5. Maybe I can stop having to figure out how to squeeze a DS3231 into a build that has all the pins gobbled up by a hat.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

ante posted:

Honestly, I've been trying to come up with a good use-case for them for years, but they really are tailor-made for ereaders and almost nothing else.

I've seen a kickstarter for an instagram style camera where you plug in a small (5" ish) eink module and take photos directly to those. That was pretty cool though the price for eink is still so high that I'm not sure I'd want to spend so much on a gimmick. I think this would be a cool project but I'd want a color eink module and that's a minimum of a couple hundred right now.

Also saw another concept for an eink typewriter for people who want to write without distractions. That's basically an e-reader though.

Eink screens are cool. I too want to spend some time messing around with them eventually.

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 8, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ante posted:

I bought two with some picos on sale earlier this year. My plan was to have a couple of timers triggered by a door sensor so that I knew how long to run the air purifiers in my apartment before taking off my mask. Then I bought a house in the middle of nowhere so I don't have to worry about that so much!

My plan for them now is as shot counters and maybe a little control panel for timelapse rigs. Hoping to have some time for that this winter or in the spring!

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

My pwnagotchi has an epaper face. I really need to get out of the house more and actually put him to some use
https://pwnagotchi.ai/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

xzzy posted:

There's also these: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/485-4694

It's the screen that's in the Playdate. I've been meaning to mess with one of those with an ESP32 but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Remarkable 2 has done an amazing job getting e-ink latency when writing down below my perceptual threshold. The first one was latent enough that it was distracting, but not any more. Based on their pricing I’m assuming that the screens they use are not inexpensive, though.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

There's also these: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/485-4694

It's the screen that's in the Playdate. I've been meaning to mess with one of those with an ESP32 but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

And the Beepy, which is quite fun.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Dicty Bojangles posted:

And the Beepy, which is quite fun.

I've got one as well-- the two apps that I use on it are nchat for WhatsApp and mocp for mp3s. I want to find a TUI client for YouTube music and set up my camera to configure WiFi using QR codes.

What are you using yours for?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

YerDa Zabam posted:

My pwnagotchi has an epaper face. I really need to get out of the house more and actually put him to some use
https://pwnagotchi.ai/

I feel completely seen off by that site having to write an explainer of what a Tamagotchi is was

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I have one of these Squix (now thingpulse) epaper ESP 8266 kits that has a weather station for a basic kit of firmware, and it worked as a weather station for a time. I was running it off some cheap RC helicopter LIPOs but eventually it just stopped working all together. I suspect the ESP died and I'll need to replace it but I haven't done any diagnosis besides trying it over USB which is what you use to flash it originally, and what I was using to charge the batteries since it has an onboard charging circuit. Kind of a shame because it worked okay and it would last a couple weeks on one tiny battery only updating every 10 minutes or so.
https://thingpulse.com/product/espaper-lite-kit-wifi-epaper-display/

I suspect the screen is still fine and the whole package could probably be used for other stuff but it doesn't seem like they're selling them anymore. Maybe for the best since I think the 8266 wasn't super reliable.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Mantle posted:

I've got one as well-- the two apps that I use on it are nchat for WhatsApp and mocp for mp3s. I want to find a TUI client for YouTube music and set up my camera to configure WiFi using QR codes.

What are you using yours for?

You’re light years ahead of me- I don’t have a case on it yet, and having small children with curious hands means I can’t take it out all that often. But when I do it’s a blast for basic ssh from the couch, or seeing how much of the web is still Lynx accessible.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Thanks Ants posted:

I feel completely seen off by that site having to write an explainer of what a Tamagotchi is was

Haha, now that I look at it myself, I get what you mean.
I'll let you search yourself though, my tips are not so good

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What's the simplest way to get a pi, a single 3.5" hard disk and a SATA adapter to connect the two of them into a single case with a single power supply? Or is this too much to ask?

I realize the easiest option by far is an external USB disk and 2 wall warts, but I'm curious if anything exists.

This would be for direct playing media off a giant drive, not a NAS. It's fine if the SATA is through a USB adapter internally, I'm not going to pretend that I need native SATA support, although it looks the Pi OS did pick up SATA support a few years ago: https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2021/raspberry-pi-os-now-has-sata-support-built

Edit: it doesn't even have to be a pi, x86 or ARM mini PCs that run a normal Linux are fine too but the Pi space seems most likely to have something. A single 3.5" bay, that's all!

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 11, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the simplest way to get a pi, a single 3.5" hard disk and a SATA adapter to connect the two of them into a single case with a single power supply?

I would get a USB to SATA doodad that takes 5V, hook it up to the 5VDC pin on the Pi and a female barrel plug, throw everything into an enclosure, and hook a 5V10A brick to it.

I bet you can even find a 3D printable enclosure for exactly this.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the simplest way to get a pi, a single 3.5" hard disk and a SATA adapter to connect the two of them into a single case with a single power supply? Or is this too much to ask?

I realize the easiest option by far is an external USB disk and 2 wall warts, but I'm curious if anything exists.

This would be for direct playing media off a giant drive, not a NAS. It's fine if the SATA is through a USB adapter internally, I'm not going to pretend that I need native SATA support, although it looks the Pi OS did pick up SATA support a few years ago: https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2021/raspberry-pi-os-now-has-sata-support-built

Edit: it doesn't even have to be a pi, x86 or ARM mini PCs that run a normal Linux are fine too but the Pi space seems most likely to have something. A single 3.5" bay, that's all!

There are SATA hats that take a 12V barrel jack input and break that into sata power output and also provide power to the rpi. Never used one though.

There are also those rpi alternatives that come with an integrated 3.5 bay. Odroid, I think. Just checked and it was the Odroid HC2, but it is no longer sold.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

cruft posted:

I would get a USB to SATA doodad that takes 5V, hook it up to the 5VDC pin on the Pi and a female barrel plug, throw everything into an enclosure, and hook a 5V10A brick to it.

A lovely idea except that every 3.5" enclosure I've ever seen has a 12V power brick.

However, 12V to 5V buck converter is like $10, and the average power brick that comes with a HDD enclosure has plenty of juice (for spinning up the HDD).

This is actually how I power my Pi 3. I don't have a HDD, but the main use for my Pi is music and it lives next to to a mini-receiver that uses 12v. Like Twerk, I wanted to only have 1 wall-wart. So I got a cheap 12v-5v converter -- pre-wired with mini usb even -- and soldered that to power points inside the mini-receiver. The receiver had enough space in it, so I put it on the inside and drilled a hole to feed the usb cable out the back.

A modern HDD enclosure won't have the airspace to do that, so you'd have to set things up differently. But if you wanna DIY it, that's what I did.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Klyith posted:

A lovely idea except that every 3.5" enclosure I've ever seen has a 12V power brick.

I'm going to make another plug for the XBox Power Brick! They're plentiful, relatively cheap, easy to buy connectors, and they put out gobs of power at 3.3V, 5V, and 12V.

You can use a pushbutton to connect 5V to the "power on" pin to toggle power, or just hard-wire it to have it on all the time.

It's a really nice power supply that can work in a whole lot of hobbyist projects, I don't know why it isn't used more.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Any software/firmware reason why a wifi dongle would be cutting out every second or so beyond it is simply faulty?

I have an RPi Zero 1.3 that I intend to use as a Samba server to stream video files. Its wired to a lab power supply set to 5.05V in. It appears the wifi dongle is dropping out because the GUI desktop displays fine but I can watch the current on the lab PSU flicker from 900ma down to 700ma and when that happens pinging the RPi goes to 1000+ms. Im using a $2 eBay RTL something or other dongle.

Its happening every second or so.

A different make/model of wifi dongle appears to work, though the signal is appreciably less.

The first is just bad, yea? Theres not a software/driver cause of 1 second dropouts?

mewse
May 2, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

Any software/firmware reason why a wifi dongle would be cutting out every second or so beyond it is simply faulty?

I have an RPi Zero 1.3 that I intend to use as a Samba server to stream video files. Its wired to a lab power supply set to 5.05V in. It appears the wifi dongle is dropping out because the GUI desktop displays fine but I can watch the current on the lab PSU flicker from 900ma down to 700ma and when that happens pinging the RPi goes to 1000+ms. Im using a $2 eBay RTL something or other dongle.

Its happening every second or so.

A different make/model of wifi dongle appears to work, though the signal is appreciably less.

The first is just bad, yea? Theres not a software/driver cause of 1 second dropouts?

Uhh if it's a $2 wifi dongle, and another dongle works fine, I'd think it was the dongle, but.. the power delivery to usb devices on the pi zero is probably even more screwy than on full size pi's, you could try feeding the pi zero 5.1V rather than 5.05, or try using a powered usb hub between the pi and the dongle to see if power delivery is really causing the problem.

But it's probably the dongle.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I would suggest checking dmesg just in case to see if there are any relevant kernel messages.

If you think the power drops are causing issues with the dongle, you can try changing the cpu frequency governor so that it’s pinned to max or minimum frequency (aka conservative vs performance). Maybe that might minimize voltage dips. If you can find other mechanisms to manage power saving on the wifi dongle, that could also help. It could, of course, also be other “features” on the dongle that are causing latency spikes (finding a decent channel, reducing the power needed to keep a good signal to a minimum, etc, I dunno, I don’t do wireless)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mewse posted:

Uhh if it's a $2 wifi dongle, and another dongle works fine, I'd think it was the dongle, but.. the power delivery to usb devices on the pi zero is probably even more screwy than on full size pi's, you could try feeding the pi zero 5.1V rather than 5.05, or try using a powered usb hub between the pi and the dongle to see if power delivery is really causing the problem.

But it's probably the dongle.

I really want to second this - I see a lot of pi specific power supplies try to deliver 5.25V so going for 5.1V at the minimum should help with things, but a powered usb hub would be better (albeit the total footprint might exceed what you’re comfortable with)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
If you decrease the ping interval below 1 second do the latency spikes still happen every other second?