Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ianmacdo posted:

It actually took a while for him to sleep with everyone , he stayed faithful to his 12 year old looking, (500 year old) vampire for longer than you would think.
But then the author started giving off even stronger pedo vibes.
The author just couldn't help himself, in a recent book it's revealed that the vampire is actually just 14 years old and was in stasis for the 500 years. He also mentions how she stopped visibly aging at 12, because that is the height of female attractiveness :barf:

I did read most of them and did enjoy the progression, other then the "romance" parts.

Yeah, to be fair Yue is actually acts the most mature mentally of the group, sometimes even more mature than Hajime in her decision making. But the authors reasoning behind Yue's appearance didn't help.

Honestly, the series could've done better without Tio and Shea, which basically act as really poor (and disturbing) comedic relief.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

surf rock posted:

I'm generally not an isekai fan, so after the vending machine show experience I'd love to get a second opinion on these other shows that are in my watchlist to see if I should boot either of them:

Sonny Boy
The Executioner and Her Way of Life

Thanks!

Sonny Boy is excellent and only resembles an "isekai" in that it vaguely involves "another world" (which is in no way any sort of standard fantasy world). If you liked Tatami Galaxy this has a similar vibe.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So wait the isekai killer didn't fight an evil vending machine, in that case why even bother?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

There Was a Cute Girl in the Hero's Party, so I Tried Confessing to Her continues to be fun, and have a nice Isekai protag.

TL;DR - Dude is Isekai'ed into a dungeon as a mid-boss. His cheat ability makes him stronger than the demon lord tho. A party clearing the dungeon keeps getting stuck on him, but he just knocks them out because he's got a huge crush on the healer. Finally he lets them pass and kill the demon lord on the condition she stays behind so he can confess to her (And immediately get shot down, as you'd imagine).

Afterwards there's lots of wacky plots, lots of tropes about him being a major chuuni and being seriously inept at dating and the like. He rarely ends up fighting so his cheat isn't really brought up much, so the bulk of the conflict and plots are him trying to get closer to the girl he likes, and being a nice guy to those around him. It's rather wholesome and adorable even if there is an odd subplot about a gargoyle and a little girl who worships him as a guardian deity.

khy fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 7, 2023

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Cainer posted:

Holy poo poo this was a powerful read, thank you very much for the link I hadn't even heard of it till your post.

SystemLogoff posted:

Thank you for this recommendation, it's great to have a story have an ending, even more so for a time loop story to get on with things.

Added to the list of stories that made me cry.

glad y'all enjoyed it! on a week to week basis it was really riveting so im glad to hear it works as a binge too!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Jackard posted:

don't forget the instant death isekai!! good times

If you just want to see dozens and dozens of confident isekai protagonists totally loving bite it, this is your story. Some slightly spoilery setup elements: In a world at the edge of possibility, crawling with weird wizard bullshit, a weird wizard has installed an isekai operating system and looks for new lieutenants by abducting people from realer worlds and severing their ties to reality to grant them power.

Except in this latest batch, he's hooked the universe's garbage collection system, which incarnated as a human infant one day and was trained to an acceptable standard of human behavior and morality by the local equivalent of the Federal Bureau of Control. He lives a peaceful high school life, as long as no one tries to kill him.

The problem is that he really only has two speeds, walk and kill. He doesn't do "satisfying fight scenes" or "chains of cause and effect"; if he wants someone to die, they die. The allure is mostly just in seeing three pages of isekai scratchpad show up, pose around, and then get incomprehensibly owned, either by the garbage collector himself, the people who struggle for power in the nearly impossible world, or the horrors the wizard sealed away for observation but which inevitably get freed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
He not only can kill whoever he thinks about, he can basically trace if they are even thinking of him. Dude is basically god, and he slaughters other people's gods.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah it makes some missteps at first but instant death does go some interesting places.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
is ainz evil?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Spookydonut posted:

is ainz evil?

I can assure you that Ainz fits pretty much any reasonable definition of evil you can come up with.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
A Single Aristocrat Enjoys a Different World: The Graceful Life of a Man Who Never Gets Married is goon incarnate

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Ainz isn't human enough to ascribe human moral concepts to. It's a Lovecraftian body horror thing.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

is ainz evil?

Amoral, I’d say. His nature is only constrained by his sentiments, his subordinates reside in the more classical evil.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I feel like ainz the undead mage is probably evil but the human mind controlling him isn't... though his physical body is influencing his mind and he doesn't really put on the brakes to stop evil poo poo going down so maybe he is evil.

e: amoral might be a better word for it

although maybe its that he values what he and his guild built over concepts of morality?

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 8, 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

although maybe its that he values what he and his guild built over concepts of morality?

The first ep really sets up what he is. He’s the last remaining vessel for the memory of nazerick. Making everything that means inviolable is placed above everything, including his own existence. His lich nature makes more akin to an automaton then anything.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if someone constantly does evil things for what they consider to be good reasons, they are still evil as poo poo.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
A B-Rank Adventurer With an Evil Face Becomes a Father for the Hero and His Childhood Friends is great. A++, good feels.

https://mangadex.org/title/a21eab2d-781d-40b2-a666-7b2d72551927/akuninzura-shita-b-kyuu-boukensha

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you know those romcoms where the entire supporting cast is hanging around in the background, silently urging the main couple to get together? that's what that story is, except the female lead is a 13 year old and the male lead is an adult.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I read the Instant Death manga. Much better than I expected. I like how the female lead charms the protagonist before the reverse happens (in the scene where she tells him that she considers herself responsible for the people he kills). I feel like this Consultant guy might end up being the first character to actually pose some sort of threat, since he managed to identify actual weaknesses.

I'm kind of wondering what the deal is with the android(?) girl. She was owning her classmates, but it seems like this is solely because she's immune to the power seal. She received her power from the dragon, which isn't that strong by the standards of the setting, but it seems like the story is trying to do something with her.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you know those romcoms where the entire supporting cast is hanging around in the background, silently urging the main couple to get together? that's what that story is, except the female lead is a 13 year old and the male lead is an adult.

Wait, i figured he'd get together with the leader of the Valkyries. Please tell me it doesn't usagi drop. Please

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Cynic Jester posted:

Wait, i figured he'd get together with the leader of the Valkyries. Please tell me it doesn't usagi drop. Please

From the spoilers I've seen in the comments it doesn't.
And nothing in the story really presents the 13yo daughter as anything more than daughter, it's just SA posters what SA posters do.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

The hell? Nobody in-story is "urging" anything. His erstwhile girlfriend having a brief, baseless misunderstanding is the closest it comes to that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i should have clarified that i was referring to the webnovel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
New chapter of 'Loner Life in Another World': https://mangadex.org/title/ffe69cc2-3f9e-4eab-a7f7-c963cea9ec25/hitoribocchi-no-isekai-kouryaku

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Now that someone has filled the chapter gap for the instagib isekai, I really like the flashback story part.

enju being part of some heavenly faction to trigger the eradication of humanity, her story ending seemingly tragically before he's just like "nah she's probably hanging out eating chips and watching TV lol". and the literal angels of heaven descending to wipe out mankind only for him to just go "all of you, die" and then the middle-manager of heaven arrives to beg forgiveness lol. I can't help but feel asaka is not long for this world, but also, he doesn't seem particularly devastated by loss and grief so she might also be just fine back on earth like enju.

It's basically "More Proactive Isekai One Punch Man" and I can't wait to see it animated

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I really hope they revisit their Jesus figure's story and the inevitable *points at The Church and says 'Die'*

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

:allears: I could see this joke a thousand times and it will always make me smile. Also Mokomoko just casually off-screen taking out the two spirit royalty members. I'm reminded that she also casually just stopped the administrator downloading those cheat abilities into Tomochika as well. She's just busted in her own right

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, he can kill an inanimate trap, so why would you think you're safe?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He can kill something beyond the bounds of spacetime without even realizing it. There is nothing he cannot kill except by choice

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Brought To You By posted:

:allears: I could see this joke a thousand times and it will always make me smile. Also Mokomoko just casually off-screen taking out the two spirit royalty members. I'm reminded that she also casually just stopped the administrator downloading those cheat abilities into Tomochika as well. She's just busted in her own right

Honestly the most busted part is that she can channel wifi signals and decode MPEG video streams in real time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kyte posted:

Honestly the most busted part is that she can channel wifi signals and decode MPEG video streams in real time.

Can't be a distorted howling face in the static if you can't encode yourself to video!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

He can kill something beyond the bounds of spacetime without even realizing it. There is nothing he cannot kill except by choice

The only limitation seems to be that he has to identify the target, but there are many abstract ways to do that.

Also the weaknesses the Consultant guy identified, that hostages might work + he can't directly detect hostility to other people (but the target-identifying limitation seems like a limitation of mindset that he'll get past at some point).

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
caught up on High Level Medicine Doctor isekai

neat twist shown where okay, not ALL the human healer are assholes, some actually wanna do good, but yes there's a lot of corruption there

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

The only limitation seems to be that he has to identify the target, but there are many abstract ways to do that.

Also the weaknesses the Consultant guy identified, that hostages might work + he can't directly detect hostility to other people (but the target-identifying limitation seems like a limitation of mindset that he'll get past at some point).

I imagine that if Yogiri were to think, whether it's true or not, that someone like Tomochika had died. The idea of targeted death would evaporate and he'd probably become some walking field of instant death where everything around him just dies/stops functioning. Like peel back the layer of humanity containing whatever he is and the guy would become a blight upon the world he's on.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Brought To You By posted:

I imagine that if Yogiri were to think, whether it's true or not, that someone like Tomochika had died. The idea of targeted death would evaporate and he'd probably become some walking field of instant death where everything around him just dies/stops functioning. Like peel back the layer of humanity containing whatever he is and the guy would become a blight upon the world he's on.

He probably wouldn't, because he knows Asaka would probably be very disappointed with him if he did.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
killing intent is just how yogiri defends himself. he's not limited to being reactive. also, there doesn't seem to be an upper limit on what he could kill. it's entirely possible he could kill a universe as easily as he kills anything else.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We've already seen him kill things that kill universes and nearly everything in heaven so why not.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think even discussing this ruins the joke. He can instantly kill anything, that's the whole point.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

I think even discussing this ruins the joke. He can instantly kill anything, that's the whole point.

He's had to spend effort identifying the source of the thing before, though (like with vampire lady and the assassin guy - it took him some time to identify the individual coordinating them, which he had to do to use his power on them specifically).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

maltesh posted:

He probably wouldn't, because he knows Asaka would probably be very disappointed with him if he did.
Ironically it's because of people like Asaka that such a scenario is entirely plausible.The last chapter does make two points; Glasses guy surmises that Yogiri isn't as unemotional as he usually presents and Yogiri himself voices anger at the Enju robot being utilized again. The fact that he does seem to experience regular emotions is the biggest problem here because those routinely override logic.

He has what? 3 people in the entire multiverse he can claim to legitimately care about and with the most recent one we met; he slaughtered the hosts of heaven itself purely because they put her in a bad situation. If any of those 3 people died as a result of someone targeting him I have no doubt whatever fury he unleashes is going to be beyond biblical.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 10, 2023