Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think i read somewhere that Blanchett actually did an amazing job acting that scene, before all the cgi was added in..I'd love to see the raw footage.

I completely believe it. The cgi gets more pronounced as her speech goes on so the first few words are fairly unmodified and her voice is still fairly unmodified. I can still mentally hear it because it's so well spoken.

I'd also love the raw footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Its such a relief when Strider shows up in fellowship. This me knowing the future, but it makes me feel better that they have him at that point. Maybe reading it the first time, people are much more suspicious of him?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tree Bucket posted:

In place of a Dark Lord, you would have a hobbit! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as breakfast! Treacherous as the Sackville-Bagginses! Stronger than the foundations of the pub! All shall platonically love me, and despair!

Sam declined to be the Lord Gardener of Middle-earth when tempted in the Tower of Cirith Ungol. I always thought that was an amusing indication that the Ring (or Sauron, or whatever part of his will was in the Ring) had no loving clue how to handle this bunch of weird little homebodies or what makes them tick.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Sam declined to be the Lord Gardener of Middle-earth when tempted in the Tower of Cirith Ungol. I always thought that was an amusing indication that the Ring (or Sauron, or whatever part of his will was in the Ring) had no loving clue how to handle this bunch of weird little homebodies or what makes them tick.

Yeah, it's a wonderful scene. The Ring just cannot handle guys who are into gardening and beer.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Its such a relief when Strider shows up in fellowship. This me knowing the future, but it makes me feel better that they have him at that point. Maybe reading it the first time, people are much more suspicious of him?

I wish I could remember this stuff! I've just finished a re-read, and remembered my first read-through at about age 12. I remember waiting for the Entwives to appear, and getting Theoden and Denethor mixed up sometimes (cos they have a lot of the same letters in their names...) and finding something really meaningful in little moments like the blade that wounds the witch king, or the flower crown on the statue at the crossroads, or the emptiness of Hollin. And getting kind of annoyed at Bombadil.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My favorite aspect of the Ring's magic is that it literally destroys itself.

See: https://www.reddit.com/r/lotr/s/RklO9QFZqM for a good writeup since I don't want to type it all put myself
Is that not a commonly-understood thing about the plot? It's something which I didn't pick up on at all in my early introduction to the work, but, well: my introduction to The Lord of the Rings was my dad listening to the audiobook when I was five, and then reading it on my own when I was ten or twelve. When I read through the book as an adult, Frodo saying "I would put on the Ring, and tell you to jump off the nearest cliff, and you would do it." rang out like a bell.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That the Ring had no idea how to handle Sam, at least. That, in combination with the above scene(s) of Frodo laying down the law for Gollum, really hammered home the notion "Sam is the Hero of the story." The spirit of Sauron is desperately trying to find some way to move Sam, some way to phrase "Don't you want to command others, to bring order to this world," and all it can come up with is "... like a well-tended garden?" And a lesser gardener might have gone with it!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Sam even gets what the ring offers him in the end, the whole Shire becomes his garden and he becomes its patriarch, and has a million kids with his hot wife.

Sam owns.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
All the Shire a vegetable patch and all the Brandywine to drink.

Hobbits would usher in a green, very drunk apocalypse.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wow I feel silly, especially because I've lived near a Brandywine river most of my life, but I just noticed that the name is Brandy and Wine, the two alcoholic drinks lol. That's funny.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SHISHKABOB posted:

Wow I feel silly, especially because I've lived near a Brandywine river most of my life, but I just noticed that the name is Brandy and Wine, the two alcoholic drinks lol. That's funny.

there was some elvenish pun too about the name

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
It's just the one alcoholic drink. :science: "Brandy" is from Dutch "gebrande wijn", or "burnt wine".

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ChubbyChecker posted:

there was some elvenish pun too about the name

the literal last paragraphs in the published Lord of the Rings text posted:

Brandywine. The hobbit-names of this river were alterations of the Elvish Baranduin (accented on and), derived from baran ‘golden brown’ and duin ‘(large) river’. Of Baranduin Brandywine seemed a natural corruption in modern times. Actually the older hobbit-name was Branda-nîn ‘border-water’, which would have been more closely rendered by Marchbourn; but by a jest that had become habitual, referring again to its colour, at this time the river was usually called Bralda-hîm ‘heady ale’.

It must be observed, however, that when the Oldbucks (Zaragamba) changed their name to Brandybuck (Brandagamba), the first element meant ‘borderland’, and Marchbuck would have been nearer. Only a very bold hobbit would have ventured to call the Master of Buckland Braldagamba in his hearing.

Comedy gold! (-en brown)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

skasion posted:

Comedy gold! (-en brown)

God Tolkien had such a boner for languages.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Flakey posted:

It's just the one alcoholic drink. :science: "Brandy" is from Dutch "gebrande wijn", or "burnt wine".

:aaaaa:

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Vavrek posted:

That the Ring had no idea how to handle Sam, at least. That, in combination with the above scene(s) of Frodo laying down the law for Gollum, really hammered home the notion "Sam is the Hero of the story." The spirit of Sauron is desperately trying to find some way to move Sam, some way to phrase "Don't you want to command others, to bring order to this world," and all it can come up with is "... like a well-tended garden?" And a lesser gardener might have gone with it!

I think this undersells how effective that temptation actually was for Sam - if not for his love of Frodo, he would have absolutely gone along with it, either then, or soon after stepping into Mordor. Sam is the hero of LotR, in the sense that he goes on the hero's journey and returns to a hero's reward - violently expelling invaders and getting to be happily married and rule over his people.

Frodo, on the other hand, is much harder for the Ring to work with. He doesn't want to rule, he doesn't seek to reorder the world to his design. In the end, the only thing the Ring can tempt him with is - itself! And we are to make no mistake, it's not that someone else holding it over the fires of Mount Doom would have been better able to resist it, rather, it's likely that no-one else could have taken it that far, as it would have successfully tempted them well before then. Though, of course, Frodo's body wouldn't have made it that far without his faithful Sam there to (literally) support him.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Goku would not have claimed the ring for himself. He would hand-deliver it to Sauron in order to make him a stronger enemy to fight.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m finally up to the warg sequence in exploring lord of the rings

It’s magnificent.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Like this is a low key great sentence :

Suddenly Frodo started from sleep.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tree Bucket posted:

Theoden and Denethor mixed up sometimes (cos they have a lot of the same letters in their names...)

Bakshi’s Sauron and Aruman once again proving their worth

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Theodenethor son of Ecthengelion

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

webmeister posted:

Honestly I have completely forgotten everything about RoP and that’s probably for the best

The best thing about it was the title animation.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

skasion posted:

Ecthengelion

Pilot the ring, Frodo, or Gollum will have to do it again.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

Pilot the ring, Frodo, or Gollum will have to do it again.

Glad I'm not the only one who immediately went there

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Zopotantor posted:

The best thing about it was the title animation.

This Wandering Day ruled and still gets stuck in my head.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

That song was the best thing to come out of that series.

Cryte Lynn
Jul 25, 2005
Now serving pwncakes at the Roflhouse

skasion posted:

Theodenethor son of Ecthengelion

Neon Genesis Ecthengelion

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

quote:

‘Still that must be expected,’ said Gandalf to himself. ‘He is not half through yet, and to what he will come in the end not even Elrond can foretell. Not to evil, I think. He may become like a glass filled with a clear light for eyes to see that can.’

This is pretty depressing, it's right after frodo wakes up in Rivendell after the Ford and Gandalf is talking to him. Poor Gandalf and Elrond I guess both know (to an extent) what is doomed to happen to frodo at this point, it seems. I don't know how long frodo spends in the shire after the story is finished, but it's not long, is it, before he goes to Valinor.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

This is pretty depressing, it's right after frodo wakes up in Rivendell after the Ford and Gandalf is talking to him. Poor Gandalf and Elrond I guess both know (to an extent) what is doomed to happen to frodo at this point, it seems. I don't know how long frodo spends in the shire after the story is finished, but it's not long, is it, before he goes to Valinor.

Couple years. b/c Sam has a kid by the end of the book

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's a lovely image though. A human - well, hobbitish - version of Galadriel's glass, or even of a Silmaril.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The way fellowship describes elfs up to this point is "in both worlds at once, Seen and Unseen", and it sounds like Gandalf thinks that Frodo will start to exist only in the Unseen world. Sort of like a wraith except not dominated by Sauron, and thus shadowy dark and evil?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Did Tolkien write it Frodo and Sam reunited on Eressëa before the end?

I hope and believe they did.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Did Tolkien write it Frodo and Sam reunited on Eressëa before the end?

I hope and believe they did.

Yes, after Rosie died he left the red book and all his papers from Bilbo and Frodo with Eleanor and went to the Grey Havens. They let him in because he had been a ring bearer himself for a short time in Mordor after he thought Frodo was dead because Shelob stung him and the orcs got him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Even the Valinor thing is pretty bittersweet for Frodo and Sam because I don't think there's any implication that going there makes you immortal. They can go there and hang out and drink cheap elf wine and party but they're still gonna live mortal lives and die as surely as if they'd stayed in Middle Earth. Maybe the special Elvish medicine and rituals over there will alleviate Frodo's PTSD/pain somewhat.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The elves' speech to the Numenoreans made that pretty explicit, they were adamant that men going to Valinor wouldn't make them immortal, that isn't in anyone's power but Eru's. It's just called the Deathless Realm because the Deathless live there, not because the land makes them that way

I mean maybe they were lying (and maybe in another 10 years JRRT would have written that "there are some that said they were lying, but they SPEAK WITH THE TONGUE OF MELKOR), but who is to say

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Yeah, dying is good, actually - but that's Catholicism for you.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Monglo posted:

Yeah, dying is good, actually - but that's Catholicism for you.

I mean, it’s a pretty universal copium in every major religion and even most quasi-secular philosophies. Everyone from Buddhism to the Greek philosophers preached it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Even the Valinor thing is pretty bittersweet for Frodo and Sam because I don't think there's any implication that going there makes you immortal. They can go there and hang out and drink cheap elf wine and party but they're still gonna live mortal lives and die as surely as if they'd stayed in Middle Earth. Maybe the special Elvish medicine and rituals over there will alleviate Frodo's PTSD/pain somewhat.

Looking at Tale of Years it’s like 60 some years between when Frodo and Sam go oversea. Thats gonna be two old rear end men spending their remaining days in a nice seaside retirement home at that point.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
For what it's worth Corey Olsens theory is that mortals would immediately die the moment they set foot on valinor (cleansed of all their pain and suffering).

So no Frodo/Sam reunion unless there is some sort of afterlife for mortals.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And there is, long after the mere "lifetime of Arda" that is the Elves' meager lifespan. According to the Athrabeth

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

keep punching joe posted:

For what it's worth Corey Olsens theory is that mortals would immediately die the moment they set foot on valinor (cleansed of all their pain and suffering).

Wait, did the elves euthanize Frodo? Is this their version of the farm where sick dogs go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Tolkien never decided/purposely left it vague. There’s a random section in Morgoth’s Ring where Chris just tries to collate all the evidence about Frodo’s fate from his manuscripts and letters. It seems very clear Frodo would actually die at some point, but not clear on when or how. One bit says he would “sojourn…in Eressëa — then in Mandos?” before death. Which is kind of cool to imagine Frodo in Mandos halls chilling with Fëanor and the god of doom.