Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Freaksaus posted:

Any lower than my current settings and I'm not sure if I would've had the resources to make enough bullets to get to the next ore patches.

No clue on how things will be once I get a bit further out there, but even a 60k iron patch isn't going to last very long if I try and ramp up production. Without biters I guess it would be doable, but the sheer iron requirements for the long belts, even the copper for the power poles would be pretty taxing.

Sounds like you should carry your base on your back and in a car as soon as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If you want real resource misery, just play the truly awful Kill biters for resources. All resource patches are gone, replaced with biter nests. Biters spawn as usual (i.e. by proximity or pollution) and drop 1-3 of their specific resource on death. Note that this is not affected by evolution, which means you are on a strict evolution timer to kill (mostly by punching) your way to flamethrowers before medium biters become common, and nuclear power before big biters show up, or you just lose. And not in the normal Factorio sense where on any sane settings you can find SOME way to get more resources, no, you just lose and the game is over, because you lose resources every time you kill a biter and you can't punch them to death anymore.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 7, 2023

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Industrial revolution 3 is fun. My first steam bus is just about to reach the end of its useful life since im just developing out electrical items now. So once its producing the electric asswmblers ajd suchlike time to build a new one.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

K8.0 posted:

If you want real resource misery, just play the truly awful Kill biters for resources. All resource patches are gone, replaced with biter nests. Biters spawn as usual (i.e. by proximity or pollution) and drop 1-3 of their specific resource on death. Note that this is not affected by evolution, which means you are on a strict evolution timer to kill (mostly by punching) your way to flamethrowers before medium biters become common, and nuclear power before big biters show up, or you just lose. And not in the normal Factorio sense where on any sane settings you can find SOME way to get more resources, no, you just lose and the game is over, because you lose resources every time you kill a biter and you can't punch them to death anymore.

Oh boy, this reminds me of early factorio where purple science needed alien artifacts obtained from biter nests. A lot of mods added "mini" artifacts from killing biters so a lot ot people ended up building murder boxes where aliens would spawn from nests, immiediately agro onto a huge square of belts and run into turrets on the edge of the boxes. Obviously the box was sized such that the turrets couldn't hit the biter nests in the centre. The belts would then pull the resources out of the hell box.

This would repeat automatically and forever. Truely a microcosm of human existence. Spawn, run futilely against belts forever, get killed by indifference, your net value is extracted anyway.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Drone_Fragger posted:

\
This would repeat automatically and forever. Truely a microcosm of human existence. Spawn, run futilely against belts forever, get killed by indifference, your net value is extracted anyway.

factorio is a fun game

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I think I just lost hundreds of hours of blueprints.

I was setting up for multiplayer and wanted to make the base prints available to anyone who joined so I moved them from "my blueprints" to "game blueprints", thinking this would make a copy. Then I realized the start location sucked and rerolled, but the blueprints are gone from the "my blueprints" now, and I never saved the new game. I don't have cloud sync for blueprints on. Are they just gone forever?

e: This saved my rear end and also now I have a backup of my library and separate backups of my main prints as well as turning cloud sync on for blueprints (which is a SEPARATE SETTING FOR SOME REASON)

e2: The multiplayer game is now up and will be mostly up 24/7 at least through the end of the weekend. Search for Xerol in the server browser and you'll probably find it. pw is lowandslow. You'll need to sync mods, it's a relatively light list of mostly QoL stuff plus extra infinite researches. A general rundown of all the settings I customized:

-Started with a railworld preset
-No cliffs, set all ores to minimum frequency except oil, also set uranium to minimum size.
-Scaled up the water and tree features so all the water is mostly large oceans far apart.
-Turned biter expansion back on, but cranked up the biter spawn timer to 30-120 minutes, turned down the time and pollution evolution factors to 1, largest starting area.
-Pollution diffusion set to 5% (from the default 2%). Pollution will spread farther but also get absorbed faster as it's over a larger area.
-Tech cost multiplier 5x.

I want this to be a long-term, slow and casual game but still want all the features of a normal game, so these settings should allow a ton of time to get teched up to endgame before biters become any issue. Initial goal is to build at 4x time cost (so 20x red science assemblers, 24x green, etc.) for 180/min, with the eventual goal of getting to 2700/min.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 10, 2023

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Xerol posted:

I think I just lost hundreds of hours of blueprints.

e: This saved my rear end and also now I have a backup of my library and separate backups of my main prints as well as turning cloud sync on for blueprints (which is a SEPARATE SETTING FOR SOME REASON)

That saved me too! Thanks!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just watched Scavengers Reign and I wonder - is there a mod where all your source resources are biological? (I mean…other than Seablock)

Edit: bonus points if the buildings are biological/biomechanical too

ymgve fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 10, 2023

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got some early science going in my low resource K2 run (first 3 tech cards) so it was time to look for the first oil. I had increased the size and richness for oil a bit as I felt that it was going to get a bit rough otherwise. Looking at the map seed preview I saw there was some oil in the northwest, so off to look.

This might take a bit.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

This week in FFF : Combinator Rework.

I'm not sure I'll take process the full impact of these changes until I've played with them for a good while, but circuits are definitely getting more powerful and more intuitive for experienced users, and probably a good bit easier to pick up beyond the simplest conditions for new users.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
All of those UI fixes are About drat Time.

Not having to do separate logops on a dozen deciders is going to be awesome.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I think a one-combinator any-character display becomes possible with this. You might need two if you want to chain digits together since decider and arithmetic functions are still separate, but this should seriously cut down on the size of a lot of contraptions.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I can't wait to see what incredible monstrosity Dosh makes with these changes.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Solumin posted:

I can't wait to see what incredible monstrosity Dosh makes with these changes.

I’m curious what the before/after size for his latest project (the belt text printer) would look like, to get an idea of how much more compressed you can do things like that. I think that would be a practical display of the effects of the change.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
I know the really cool thing here is the new Decider stuff, but I'm super excited about just being able to see inputs & outputs from the UI. It's such a pain when working things out to make a change, then close out and mouse over the pole, oops forgot to connect it to a pole, then back in to try tweaking again. It'll make things a lot easier just having that showing realtime.

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017
Yeah the main problem I generally have with wiring is where it's not connected to power poles at all and something gets linked up wrong. Being able to see what exactly is being recieved makes that a lot easier to fix than having to decipher the wires or link+unlink all the places it could be wrong.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

K8.0 posted:

This week in FFF : Combinator Rework.

I'm not sure I'll take process the full impact of these changes until I've played with them for a good while, but circuits are definitely getting more powerful and more intuitive for experienced users, and probably a good bit easier to pick up beyond the simplest conditions for new users.

These look great. The Decider Combinator always bothered me with how... dumb it was. Multi-condition operations were already in and done for Train logic but to put a similar thing together anywhere else you had to place a bunch of different combinators and wire them all up in a way that was: annoying to set up, easy to gently caress up and difficult to debug.

Still can't believe the release is not until mid-next-year at the earliest. Basically with every post I'm just like NOW PLEASE?! Ah well.

Cruising through my Exotic Industries playthrough. Using a city block design and really digging in to the meat of Project Cybersyn as the control for it. It makes multi-request stations very easy to setup and that's proving to be incredibly powerful. Some interesting stuff in Exotic Industries, just had to take a couple hours off to design my next power plant using their High Temperature Reactors and it was a pretty fun challenge. Interested to see what the later tech levels hold, there's been a few interesting design challenges so far - Uranium processing in particular was cool and different. My oil setup still loving sucks, it still gets backed up on a couple of the different outputs even with me doing my damndest to make sure it doesn't happen. Currently I'm way up on Petroleum and way down on Lubricant so I think it might be time to setup a Coal Liquefaction setup to inject a bunch more Heavy Oil. Not sure - I'm almost to needing to make Rocket Fuel which I think is going to drain the whole system but I'll need to think of some better controls when I expand it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

MerrMan posted:

Still can't believe the release is not until mid-next-year at the earliest. Basically with every post I'm just like NOW PLEASE?! Ah well.

Every QOL change they’ve mentioned so far has been a pain point in my vanilla megebase save. Making it real hard to finish and I just need to get all of the trains going now :|

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Mid next year means I might have enough time to get my seablock from barely blue science to at least a rocket. probably not though.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

necrotic posted:

Every QOL change they’ve mentioned so far has been a pain point in my vanilla megebase save. Making it real hard to finish and I just need to get all of the trains going now :|

I've stopped my Nullius playthrough now that we're seeing so much new stuff for this reason. Ever since the bot changes made me realize I spent a ton of time tweaking my layout to adjust for stuff that I won't have to worry about anymore.

Plus it'll make things more fresh once the expansion comes out!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Alkanos posted:

I've stopped my Nullius playthrough now that we're seeing so much new stuff for this reason. Ever since the bot changes made me realize I spent a ton of time tweaking my layout to adjust for stuff that I won't have to worry about anymore.

Plus it'll make things more fresh once the expansion comes out!

Ugh, yeah my own Nullius game had a big pain point because I built my rail base out around a lake and the bots just could not deal with it. Oh wait, they updated bot logic.

Also I want the elevated train tracks so badly

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I thought no news about the expansion was painful, but to see the qol changes and they're so far out is rough.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Hey, I'm thinking about picking up factorio again since the expansion has me hyped up and i've gotten into some videos that made me realize a lot of poo poo i can do with trains and circuits. Especially trains, I want to do a rail-world esque game so that i finally learn signals beyond just the rail blueprints i've been using, now that i know about train waiting limits and naming a bunch of stops the same thing making them all count as the same stop. This should make it so that it's way easier to do train stuff than i thought without relying on LTN or similar.

What's a good overhaul to go with this? I want something that's a little more complicated than krastorio/changes stuff up a bit more, but not something as complex as angelbobs or as long as space exploration.

Nea fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 13, 2023

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nea posted:

Hey, I'm thinking about picking up factorio again since the expansion has me hyped up and i've gotten into some videos that made me realize a lot of poo poo i can do with trains and circuits. Especially trains, I want to do a rail-world esque game so that i finally learn signals beyond just the rail blueprints i've been using, now that i know about train waiting limits and naming a bunch of stops the same thing making them all count as the same stop. This should make it so that it's way easier to do train stuff than i thought without relying on LTN or similar.

What's a good overhaul to go with this? I want something that's a little more complicated than krastorio/changes stuff up a bit more, but not something as complex as angelbobs or as long as space exploration.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/FreightForwarding

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Why is my brain trying to convince me that the problem with my SE run was adding K2 and not building a bot mall. If I just do SE it will work this time...

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Not building a bot mall is your problem, you should instead build one

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I had a sort of fever dream about a mod that might be interesting (or it might be a bad gimmick). Rather than top-down, the map is side-on and there is gravity. Ores and dirt block movement downwards, so a big part of it is digging out mineshafts (and you have to dig out the whole ore tile to get through it) to get to better resources. The other big part is plotting out your factory in what is basically 1 dimension until you get elevated belts. You'd also have to find ways to use up / dispose of extra dirt/rock/etc. that isn't useful for producing science. Would also probably be a good candidate for planes and flying enemies.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Xerol posted:

I had a sort of fever dream about a mod that might be interesting (or it might be a bad gimmick). Rather than top-down, the map is side-on and there is gravity. Ores and dirt block movement downwards, so a big part of it is digging out mineshafts (and you have to dig out the whole ore tile to get through it) to get to better resources. The other big part is plotting out your factory in what is basically 1 dimension until you get elevated belts. You'd also have to find ways to use up / dispose of extra dirt/rock/etc. that isn't useful for producing science. Would also probably be a good candidate for planes and flying enemies.

https://games.digipen.edu/games/dig-n-rig

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
i hadn't played this game in 4 years and i forgot how to do everything. i'm starting to get less spahgetti and more neat but drat. tomorrow i'm gonna set up my first train stop with freight forwarding, which i picked up on thread reccomendation. containerization seems like a pain in the rear end but maybe not /too/ hard? I think it actually might make my train stop circuit conditions easier.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Friday's almost over and no one's posted the latest FFF? https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-385

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
FFF 386: Volcanus

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Having biomes actually affect resource distribution is a good move. It's something the base game could benefit from, honestly.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Yeah I’m a bit surprised they stuck with the unstructured perlin noise for so long in vanilla

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Ugh, I hope other planets aren't this cliff heavy.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Bernardo Orel posted:

I'm sure it'll end up being a fun challenge (but never forget that you can mod any aspect of this game to your whims).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Great FFF, but also I'm starting to worry that they are becoming too spoilery and will ruin a lot of the fun of the first playthrough for me. On the other hand, I just can't look away.

Also, delaying the "just pave the world" phase and forcing more design constraints on people is a good thing. You can always use mods to make the game as simplified as you want, but there should be actual design challenge in the core game.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 24, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm curious if Vulcanus will have reduced biter/enemy presence (the text does imply there might be some kind of enemy) - though the terrain might make it much easier to bottleneck enemies.

I do agree that I think having different sorts of space limitations is probably going to be important to making the planets feel unique/different. As long as you reach a point where you -can- build your main bus/modular mega factory, it's cool that you'll have a phase where your factories will feel different from planet to planet.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I hope they're like lava worms that can just swim through lava, making the cliffs your new water barriers.

Else i'm going to have to mod in lava worms. 100% evolution Dune worms.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The discussion about the new planet makes me consider doing another run of Riftbreaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Bernardo Orel posted:

Elevated rails help a lot with this I imagine.

There's the flat "Ashlands" to build in and you can just bypass 90% of the cliffs with E-Rails and then just blast out areas near your resource extraction.