Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Shipon posted:

ah yes the card so good it had a class-action lawsuit made over it's VRAM being a flat loving lie

That was the stigmata of beatification. :colbert:

Anyway, yeah, like folks said, it's mostly that, for its US$300-330 price point, it just could not be topped until maybe the 1080Ti (another card I think Nvidia regrets making), and after that the crypto insanity happened, and the market was Changed, in ways that feel irreversible.

I've got a bit more affection for mine because, even moreso than someone like Cyrano, I've kept mine this whole time; I'm posting on it right now, and it's only in the past year that I've truly felt the crunch. I thought Elden Ring might do me in, but no, at 1080p it still manages at least Good framerates in ER and Armored Core 6. I've never, ever had a video card last this long and still get such good performance, so it colors my perceptions.

Shine on, you trooper. You got me through some damned spooky times. :unsmith:

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't remember how exactly FPS/$ worked out back then but I think the 1080Ti just seemed too expensive at the time to feel like a "value" buy. Seven hundred bucks for a GPU, are you kidding?

lol.

Lol.

Lmao, even.

:smithicide:

Enos Cabell posted:

I sold my 2500k/970 system to a buddy like 4 years ago, and he's still using it today. He claims it's handling Starfield like a champ!

Yeah, that's gotta be for certain definitions of "champ" because trying to actually run Starfield is what convinced me to get a m.2 SSD for my current PC, and that my current PC's overall time had come. :v: The kind of wonky VRAM implementation, as well as just being 3.5+.5GB, really tells there. Even at 1080p, Starfield wants a lot more VRAM than that (as well as a lot of RAM room to breathe in general). It's the combo of Starfield, BG3 and Phantom Liberty (along with upcoming FF14 upgrades and the call of maxing out everything and potential raytracing in Elden Ring) that's finally got me on the upgrade train after eight years and weathering the crypto bubble.

Of course, with Starfield specifically it's so hard to tell if the VRAM troubles are what causes some of the instability, or just innate Bethesda-ness.

On the subject of upgrades, though:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://twitter.com/Zed__Wang/status/1721740139515510787

I wasn't sure about Kopite's CES claim, but having the box art branding guide also leak makes it seem more real. These Super cards are coming in 2 - 3 months [...] With the clarification that the 4070 Super will be 220W instead of 200W, and the 4070 Ti Super will have a 256-bit bus and 16GB of VRAM.

See, this would tempt me to try and hold out for a few more months, if it wasn't for the fact that at this point I have absolutely no faith that these will be priced in a way accessible to most folks or will do anything to drive standard Lovelace prices down much further, if at all. The 4070 Super screams "$700 card" to me, priced right between the 4070 and Ti, and the xX~*TI SUPER*~Xx is an $850-900 offering meant to look more "reasonable" compared to the $1100+ 4080 and a "much better investment" than the technically-old-and-busted $800 4070Ti. At most we might see the 4070 Standard get a mild further price cut to $500, and maybe a little downward momentum on the 4070Ti, and even then I'm skeptical. NVidia has raytracing and high performance largely sewn up, and there won't be much pressure on them to lower prices for some time yet, especially with AMD's higher end prices only being marginally less insane and their raytracing implementations in the gutter until at least the next hardware gen. Those prices are here to stay, and with record profits NVidia has no reason to let up.

The one vain hope I have is that we might see some decent discounting this holiday season, with retailers wanting to clear out some of the "old" 4070+ stock to make way for the new offerings, but I still have my doubts. At some point the retailers need to make some kind of margin on these products, so there's a floor to the kind of sales they can offer. There might also be pressure on AMD to offer up some deals (like this RIDICULOUS AND VERY SUSPICIOUS DISCOUNT ON AMAZON THAT JUST APPEARED, WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS?) but we'll have to see how they (actually, non-suspiciously) shake out.

I still think BFriday-CMonday, and possibly soon after over the holiday, is going to be the time to go computer shopping. The NVidia refresh will mostly just bloat out what now passes for "high-midline" offerings to those people desperate for more polygons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't remember how exactly FPS/$ worked out back then but I think the 1080Ti just seemed too expensive at the time to feel like a "value" buy. Seven hundred bucks for a GPU, are you kidding?

lol.

iirc the important thing was that one of the bitcoin crashes happened during 1080ti's time so you could get it for half that

same reason why a ton of people got R290s for under 200 a couple years earlier lol

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SpaceDrake posted:

AMD to offer up some deals (like this RIDICULOUS AND VERY SUSPICIOUS DISCOUNT ON AMAZON THAT JUST APPEARED, WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS?) but we'll have to see how they (actually, non-suspiciously) shake out.

I still think BFriday-CMonday, and possibly soon after over the holiday, is going to be the time to go computer shopping. The NVidia refresh will mostly just bloat out what now passes for "high-midline" offerings to those people desperate for more polygons.

If this doesn't turn into a cancellation I'm taking it as a sign that now is the time to build a whole new PC. I gotta buy a big-rear end PSU too, but I'm not doing it until it arrives and I confirm it's not a bag of sand that says "puto".

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Twerk from Home posted:

If this doesn't turn into a cancellation I'm taking it as a sign that now is the time to build a whole new PC. I gotta buy a big-rear end PSU too, but I'm not doing it until it arrives and I confirm it's not a bag of sand that says "puto".

Are you doubting the validity of seller caoxianhengxiubaihuofuzhuangdian?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

change my name posted:

Are you doubting the validity of seller caoxianhengxiubaihuofuzhuangdian?

quote:

caoxianhengxiubaihuofuzhuangdian is committed to providing each customer with the highest standard of customer service.

You can't just lie on the internet.

Pretty sure this will be cancelled or I'll need to put in a refund, but the trials of the free 4080 described above has invigorated me to try.

This probably results in some brave Chinese guy getting $400 from Amazon, which is also cool.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Lockback posted:

Pretty sure this will be cancelled or I'll need to put in a refund, but the trials of the free 4080 described above has invigorated me to try.

This probably results in some brave Chinese guy getting $400 from Amazon, which is also cool.

I mean, I wouldn't actually recommend it personally (even before overposting, I suspected it might be some kind of scam), but rolling the dice is up to you.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Lockback posted:

If you get anything at all, which is doubtful, it's going to be some Wish.com-rear end counterfeit RX 470 with a hosed up and hacked BIOS.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Do not buy the scam GPUs. you will receive nothing and will waste a lot of time trying to get your money back.

change my name posted:

So like... a 5-10% performance gain? There is really not much headroom for the 4070 to hit without edging into the 4070 ti's territory. I'd love a 4070 ti with more VRAM though

The 4070 Super has 21.7% more CUDA cores. The power limit is only 10% higher (though that can be trivially tweaked), and it won't be receiving much of a boost to memory bandwidth most likely. Overall I'd expect more like a 15% boost to performance. If it's the same price, that's okay-ish, and I think we're assuming that these are going to have largely the same MSRP as the cards they're replacing.

The 4070 Ti Super will have 10% more CUDA cores, but with the boost to memory bandwidth from the wider bus, we could see that shake out as an actual 10% performance improvement, or maybe slightly more in bandwidth-limited scenarios. And having 16GB of VRAM is nice too. It should make the 4070 Ti a halfway decent high-end buy at $799 now, though that's still a bit expensive for something that will probably be just 35% faster on average at 1440p than the $699 3080, 3 years later. (judging by TechPowerUp's review data and assuming a 10% boost over the 4070 Ti)

The 4080 Super is the lamest duck of the bunch. You'll probably just see a small sub-10% improvement with no boost to memory speed or capacity. This would be their opportunity to adjust the price to something more sensible, though I doubt they will.

edit: For ease of comparison, here's the latest chart from Videocardz:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 7, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

I mean, I wouldn't actually recommend it personally (even before overposting, I suspected it might be some kind of scam), but rolling the dice is up to you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/175jyf8/since_everyone_cant_stop_posting_itthere_is_no/

They speculate that it's all a scam to get people's mailing addresses in the US.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Why would they need to do an Amazon scam to get mailing addresses? It's not that deep. They're running a scam to steal your money.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The only other thing I can think of is they're stolen goods and the seller is trying to move them quick; but it's almost certainly just a scam to get people's money instead.

Edit: so on the page where it says "What's in the box" simply lists "manual." Would be p loving funny if it's just the GPU box with the manual and someone paid $440 for it.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 7, 2023

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

SpaceDrake posted:

"people willing to walk into a store and pony up the down payment on a house for a graphics card".

A 4090 isn't even enough for the security deposit for a 2 bedroom apartment in San Diego lmao.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

We've had experiments with those Amazon scam card listings here before,

Krailor posted:

Well the package arrived and.....it's a box of rocks!

More specifically some cheap knock-off airpods and an Oilers...armband?

I'm kind of surprised that they actually bothered sending anything at all.

I've already submitted the refund request to Amazon and sent them photos of what I actually received.

So, a kind of underwhelming but also not unexpected end to this little experiment.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Why would they need to do an Amazon scam to get mailing addresses? It's not that deep. They're running a scam to steal your money.

Amazon's money. Getting a refund is trivial, but they're hoping to clear a few before their account gets frozen.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

caoxianhengxiubaihuofuzhuangdian listings are gone and immediately replaced by LiChaDe-USA with the exact same items.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

....and cancelled. I weep.

I really wanted a random box of defunct NFL team paraphernalia.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Surely the next Amazon seller scam will be real

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Well! You won't see me shopping at the neighborhood caoxianhengxiubaihuofuzhuangdian anymore!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:allears: well done

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Truga posted:

iirc the important thing was that one of the bitcoin crashes happened during 1080ti's time so you could get it for half that

same reason why a ton of people got R290s for under 200 a couple years earlier lol

yeah scoring a 1080ti in september 2018 for $500 was one of the all time deals in history. card still runs fine today in a secondary computer too

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Bondematt posted:

A 4090 isn't even enough for the security deposit for a 2 bedroom apartment in San Diego lmao.

Lol yeah you can buy two 4090s a month for a studio apartment in San Diego at this point

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Shipon posted:

yeah scoring a 1080ti in september 2018 for $500 was one of the all time deals in history. card still runs fine today in a secondary computer too

Seriously, I got an EVGA 1080 for $430 at the same time and it ruined my value estimation on GPUs forever. $530 4080 when? :negative:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

"Just one more dig! It has to be just one more dig away!"

PittTheElder posted:

Seriously, I got an EVGA 1080 for $430 at the same time and it ruined my value estimation on GPUs forever. $530 4080 when? :negative:

This is me but ##70 cards. $330 was always robbery for a 970, but where, oh where, is my $400 4070? :negative: Dare I hope it's offered for that price come Black Friday?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It seems like we're all wanting a certain card for a certain amount of money around here

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

SpaceDrake posted:

"Just one more dig! It has to be just one more dig away!"

This is me but ##70 cards. $330 was always robbery for a 970, but where, oh where, is my $400 4070? :negative: Dare I hope it's offered for that price come Black Friday?

I would not be surprised if the 4070 drops to $450 on sale after the Super refreshes come out next year, I don’t think $400 (new) is ever going to happen sadly

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

4070 super (assuming it keeps the "old" 4070 price of $600) is very compelling, as long as your expectations are that it won't ever be a 4k card (which imo is really a hugely terrible meme as a gaming resolution)

4070 ti super :catdrugs: having 16gb of ram (again assuming it would be $800) would make it a finally compelling Nvidia product in the price range from the VRAM alone, if that shakes out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1721613624974651703?t=xXjTHPTU6-hsnJ4qn3wYyA&s=19

Come on AMD this APU release is taking forever

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

4070 super (assuming it keeps the "old" 4070 price of $600) is very compelling

I'm still incredibly skeptical it'll be that price. Sure the OG 4070 has been trending downward (the Zotac Twin Edge is back down to $520, and I have hopes it'll go below $500 during BFriday), but a lot of models are still above $550, and it's clear individual manufacturers and NVidia want the card to be there, especially with it being less than a year old. (Which is a thing I think is easy to forget - only the 4090 and 4080 are a year old. Everything from the 4070 Standard on down is seven months old or younger at retail!) So a 7000 CUDA-core card - 220W or no - being announced as sold for US$600? Not a chance. Not one in the coldest hell. It'll be $700. 650 maybe. There's just no way they're going to cut the legs off the 4070Ti right when it turns one year old (which it'll do right around the time of CES).

Everything else is definitely :catdrugs: territory, but how anemic the 4080 SUPER! is does make me laugh a bit.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SpaceDrake posted:

I'm still incredibly skeptical it'll be that price. Sure the OG 4070 has been trending downward (the Zotac Twin Edge is back down to $520, and I have hopes it'll go below $500 during BFriday), but a lot of models are still above $550, and it's clear individual manufacturers and NVidia want the card to be there, especially with it being less than a year old. (Which is a thing I think is easy to forget - only the 4090 and 4080 are a year old. Everything from the 4070 Standard on down is seven months old or younger at retail!) So a 7000 CUDA-core card - 220W or no - being announced as sold for US$600? Not a chance. Not one in the coldest hell. It'll be $700. 650 maybe. There's just no way they're going to cut the legs off the 4070Ti right when it turns one year old (which it'll do right around the time of CES).

Everything else is definitely :catdrugs: territory, but how anemic the 4080 SUPER! is does make me laugh a bit.
I'm not sure Nvidia is hurting much in margin (the partners are a different story of course) and the 2000 super series and the initial rollout of the 3000 series shows they're willing to take one in the chin as long as they get to keep their massive marketshare.

Not that they have to care about the gaming market at this point, but incidentally they're now banned from selling HPC cards to their their biggest customers, so...

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

SpaceDrake posted:

My 1070 cost $300, now 5-6 years later the equivalent tier card costs double, with only 4GB more VRAM too.

Cavauro posted:

It seems like we're all wanting a certain card for a certain amount of money around here

Good cards that are also affordable. They used to exist!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Former Human posted:

They (kind of) still do. You just need to be willing to buy used and not be expecting the latest bleeding edge everything.

Right now I'm running a Dell branded 2080 that I got about a year-ish ago for $200. Still perfectly capable at 1440 shooting for 60fps, especially if DLSS is used, and I assume it would be even better as a 1080 card. I know the comparison isn't perfect, but the old napkin math of a card from a previous generation being worth this generation minus tier (so 2080 = 3070) has served me pretty well in setting expectations for what it can do.

Does it suck? Yeah. Might you end up with a lemon? Maybe, but I don't think it's quite the roll of the dice that some people do. But as long as I can get a two generations old top of the line card for about two thirds of what the new intro tier costs (so 3080 at 2/3 of hypothetical 5060 prices in a few years) I don't think I"ll ever dip out entirely to consoles.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Former Human posted:

My 1070 cost $300, now 5-6 years later the equivalent tier card costs double, with only 4GB more VRAM too.

The 1070 was $400 msrp when it launched in 2016 which is $500 in today's money. The 4070 is $600 but the 7800xt is $500 and that's reasonably in that tier.

Unless you're saying you got a good deal on a 1070 in 2018ish, which ok but the 4070 will probably be cheaper 2 years from now too, since it's only about 6 months from release.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I had to run around Hong Kong for a day to score my Zotac 1070 mini for around $400 because it was before the buttcoin collapse. I do make more money and there's inflation and poo poo but $400-500 is still around what feels reasonable to spend on a toy. Especially since there's less time and fewer games I want to play anyway. The last one was Jagged Alliance 3 and it ran perfectly fine on this very 1070 anyway.

I do kind of want to try Alan Wake and there are rumors of GTA6 so maybe that will finally motivate me to shell out some money again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I paid £250 for my 1060 not long after it came out, that felt like a huge amount to pay for a GPU for me at the time.

mobby_6kl posted:

there are rumors of GTA6

Not rumours anymore, Rockstar have straight up said there's a trailer coming in December.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm more excited for the rumored Bully sequel.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I wonder how many years it'll be until the PC version of GTA 6 comes out after the consoles get it this time. 3?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Lockback posted:

The 1070 was $400 msrp when it launched in 2016 which is $500 in today's money. The 4070 is $600 but the 7800xt is $500 and that's reasonably in that tier.

Unless you're saying you got a good deal on a 1070 in 2018ish, which ok but the 4070 will probably be cheaper 2 years from now too, since it's only about 6 months from release.

Please make posting inflation adjusted prices without an accompanying real wages graph bannable, tia

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they still haven't backported GTA5s fairly substantial PS5/XSX upgrades to the PC version and probably never will at this point

rockstar seems to only begrudgingly release their games on the personal computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I wonder how many years it'll be until the PC version of GTA 6 comes out after the consoles get it this time. 3?
Two but while they will end up releasing the game for the next five console generations, they won't update the PC version after 2030 :v:

I do wonder how egregious their Shark Card cash cow (GTAO2?) is going to be this time.