Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All of this also presumes RFK won't take votes away from Trump btw, which is yet another thing I'm tempted to call shenanigans on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1722105016415342702

House censured Tlaib today with 22 Dems voting for it (and 4 Republicans against)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
does anyone have a bead on andy beshear and his politics? based on his constituency i'm guessing right-of-center, but still to the left of where the republicans have been running for the last decade? i've only been peripherally aware of him, but i suspect a solid reelection in a deep red state is going to put him on the map for a future run at the presidency or similar. i'm assuming that he's a bit hobbled by the difficulty building an internal party power base in such a deep red state, but no matter what he has the story. and a complete melt of a candidate and campaigner seems unlikely to be the single elected official bucking the state's strong voting preference

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump and Biden are both very unpopular. A year is a huge amount of time. I wouldn't make any definitive predictions one way or the other. I think it is probably a 60/40 Biden race, but it was a 75/25 Clinton race in 2016 and even though 40% is less than 60% it is still a very real possibility.

I think looking at popularity numbers between the two needs an asterisk. People, generally, don't like Biden like they don't like Little Caesars. Not their first choice, and they're not psyched about it, but they might eat a slice of they're hungry. Meanwhile Trump is concentrated Durian Fruit. Some people love it, but the vast majority will flip the gently caress out of you bring that poo poo around.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

does anyone have a bead on andy beshear and his politics? based on his constituency i'm guessing right-of-center, but still to the left of where the republicans have been running for the last decade? i've only been peripherally aware of him, but i suspect a solid reelection in a deep red state is going to put him on the map for a future run at the presidency or similar. i'm assuming that he's a bit hobbled by the difficulty building an internal party power base in such a deep red state, but no matter what he has the story. and a complete melt of a candidate and campaigner seems unlikely to be the single elected official bucking the state's strong voting preference

He’s pretty solid on policy. Pro-choice, leans anti-incarceration, anti-right to work, accepts climate change, attempted to veto an anti-trans bill though it was overridden.

Probably the only obvious knock on him is that he’s to the right of most Democrats with regard to guns.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Things went pretty well in the Des Moines metro tonight. Local school bonds were approved, and the "Moms For Liberty" school board candidates were soundly defeated. Des Moines will have its first female mayor in history.

https://iowastartingline.com/

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Gyges posted:

I think looking at popularity numbers between the two needs an asterisk. People, generally, don't like Biden like they don't like Little Caesars. Not their first choice, and they're not psyched about it, but they might eat a slice of they're hungry. Meanwhile Trump is concentrated Durian Fruit. Some people love it, but the vast majority will flip the gently caress out of you bring that poo poo around.

Please, I beg you, do not compare the glorious durian to Trump again 😞

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I almost wonder if we'll not see some sort of weird inversion of a Presidential candidate helping out downballot next year, if Biden's polling remains lovely. Like people will turn out to vote to secure abortion rights and get dems into state houses and governor's mansions, and vote for Biden too when if it was just Joe they wouldn't have bothered. Or they're not really eager for Biden but realize they've voted straight ticket Dem so gently caress it, might as well, at least he's not the other son of a bitch.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah absolutely - those 1 or 2 points can/will make all the difference. It will be an wild to watch 45% of voters cast a ballot for someone convicted of attempting to overthrow the US government but it's almost certainly going to happen.

Agreed on all counts. I can see Trump winning next year but I sure can't see it happening if he loses 2% of the country over a felony conviction, it's not like his win in '16 was by generous margins in the battleground states. It depends on if you mean 2% of his voters stay home, 2% of them switch to Clinton, or 2% of the total number of voters turn against him, but even the best of those assumptions for him (2% of just his stay home) would have moved Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin into Hillary's column and resulted in Trump 258 - Clinton 273. Now obviously we're just throwing around numbers like 2% for the sake of discussion rather than because we have hard evidence of the sort of real losses he'd suffer, and it would never be so neat and tidy, but I highlight it to demonstrate just how little he can afford to lose. If even a tiny number of people decide a felony conviction is a deal breaker, it could sink him in an otherwise winnable contest.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 8, 2023

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ms Adequate posted:

I almost wonder if we'll not see some sort of weird inversion of a Presidential candidate helping out downballot next year, if Biden's polling remains lovely. Like people will turn out to vote to secure abortion rights and get dems into state houses and governor's mansions, and vote for Biden too when if it was just Joe they wouldn't have bothered. Or they're not really eager for Biden but realize they've voted straight ticket Dem so gently caress it, might as well, at least he's not the other son of a bitch.

I think a lot of it is going to depend on whether or not Dems can convince voters that they're actually going to try to fix the poo poo that they rolled over and let happen on their watch, like undoing the overturn on Roe v Wade/codifying it into law.

If they can convince voters that they're actually going to put in an effort, I could see your What-If having some likelihood, but if they just keep beating the "Orange Man bad, democracy is on the ballot, most important election ever" drum without offering any actual tangible reasons to turn out for them, then they're probably just going to eat poo poo at the voting booths.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

Things went pretty well in the Des Moines metro tonight. Local school bonds were approved, and the "Moms For Liberty" school board candidates were soundly defeated. Des Moines will have its first female mayor in history.

https://iowastartingline.com/

They got destroyed all over last night, they lost a lot of the races in PA too. The anti trans/lgbt and book ban poo poo doesn’t work well for the silent majority it seems. The gop has lost the squishy moderates and dance party in their rush to support every social reactionary in the belief that it’s still Reaganland and they are beloved. Obviously Biden and the Dems need to work on various things but the gop is not in a good place.
https://x.com/blockedfreq/status/1722123307124658188?s=46

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 8, 2023

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't think the Dems were constantly talking about reparations or a Green New Deal. In fact, I believe the latter was a proposal by a single House Dem.

As for DC statehood, that's already been passed by the House twice (2019, 2021), and has been introduced to the Senate with 45 cosponsors three times (2019, 2021, 2023). A far cry from "never mentioned again". I'm not going to bother googling PR statehood because I think the point has been pretty well made already.

GND wasn’t just AOC though, since Markey is a Democrat iirc. As for the reparations question, it definitely was in the forefront of every debate. Even the horrid US media reported it as such.

quote:

Openly talking about reparations for the descendants of enslaved men and women is a notable shift for Democrats

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/3/11/18246741/reparations-democrats-2020-inequality-warren-harris-castro

Seems like Rep. Cori Bush was making some noise in this front but noticeably absent was the same clamor that every presidential candidate in the 2020 elections brought to the issue.

I mean I guess it’s nice to have reps like AOC and Cori Bush still bringing attention to these bills but it’s kind of sad that’s evidently all there ever will be.

Gyges posted:

is durian fruit supposed to be bad or something? It’s literally called the King of Fruits for a reason!

koolkal posted:

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1722105016415342702

House censured Tlaib today with 22 Dems voting for it (and 4 Republicans against)

Been hearing about Pat Ryan and tried to see what his deal was and yep… makes sense he’d do something like this…

quote:

Pat Ryan (D)
Ryan served in the United States Army as a military intelligence officer from 2004 to 2009, including two tours in Iraq.[8] From 2009 to 2011, he worked as the deputy director of Berico Technologies, as a subcontractor for Palantir Technologies in Afghanistan.

BUUNNI fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 8, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SirFozzie posted:

Santorum is having a big sad on Nerwsmax saying "Democracy is no way to run things" and being mad that Dems put abortion and weed on the Ohio ballot, as they are "Very sexy things"

https://twitter.com/KailiJoy/status/1722092778266546587

Steiner 2024 :patriot:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Living through Trump convincing literally every single rear end in a top hat to rip off their mask sucked but it's nice to finally start seeing the results of every ghoul out there showing their true colors.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/politics/2023/11/08/why-ohio-issue-1-won-what-it-means-for-future-elections/71226543007/

quote:

Shortly after voters approved Issue 1, top Republican lawmakers were already promising to fight against abortion access in the Legislature and at the ballot box.

"Life is worth fighting for," said Senate President Matt Huffman, R-Lima, in a statement. "This isn't the end. It is really just the beginning of a revolving door of ballot campaigns to repeal or replace Issue 1."

Yes, please keep doing this. Your messaging failed entirely and this is certain to ensure we finally rid ourselves of the GOP stranglehold on state politics.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

CapnAndy posted:

Not to repeat myself, but

Younger people vote at lower rates when compared to older people, offsetting the selection bias somewhat.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

the_steve posted:

I think a lot of it is going to depend on whether or not Dems can convince voters that they're actually going to try to fix the poo poo that they rolled over and let happen on their watch, like undoing the overturn on Roe v Wade/codifying it into law.

They let Dobbs "happen on their watch" by...believing SCOTUS has the last word on legal and Constitutional questions? How exactly can the legislature "undo" a Supreme Court ruling? And SCOTUS was perfectly willing to declare Roe had no Constitutional basis, but you think it being a law would have been a bridge too far for them to overturn?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really hope someone told Trump about this. I’m sure it would have made him furious.

https://twitter.com/charlesppierce/status/1722084245949051130?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Gyges posted:

Trump is the single most toxic politican in the country, people will crawl over broken glass to vote against him.

On top of that his SC doomed the GOP to be destroyed on abortion forever, the fact that the higher ups haven't realized that he is the Omen of Doom for their party and cut him utterly the gently caress loose after what, 4 complete slaughters and a decent off year in 2021 (before Dobbs) will never not be funny to me.

Like the poll numbers have to sell a horse race, because it would be boring (and get no clicks) to just go "GOP has to rig MS to come within single digits to survive, gets blown the gently caress out everywhere not deep red".

Hopefully someone convinces Trumbo's dying brain to run on a national abortion ban :getin:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

He’s pretty solid on policy. Pro-choice, leans anti-incarceration, anti-right to work, accepts climate change, attempted to veto an anti-trans bill though it was overridden.

Probably the only obvious knock on him is that he’s to the right of most Democrats with regard to guns.

... And nothing useful is happening wrt to guns for decades anyway.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

i am a moron posted:

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/politics/2023/11/08/why-ohio-issue-1-won-what-it-means-for-future-elections/71226543007/

Yes, please keep doing this. Your messaging failed entirely and this is certain to ensure we finally rid ourselves of the GOP stranglehold on state politics.

Lmao they want to get sub 50% every failed ballot?

Between this and Gym Jordan's insistence on being repeatedly owned is this like a kink with Ohio Republicans I was unaware of? I'm a transplant here from just last year.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

TulliusCicero posted:

Lmao they want to get sub 50% every failed ballot?

Between this and Gym Jordan's insistence on being repeatedly owned is this like a kink with Ohio Republicans I was unaware of? I'm a transplant here from just last year.

They are really convinced they own the state at this point and can do no wrong. I’m not sure if they’re even really doing normal political calculus at this point - trying to raise the threshold for voting amendments into the constitution seems like a massive miscalculation and insisting on running on unpopular platforms seems like their own hubris.

We’re gonna be voting on ANOTHER gerrymandering amendment next year, this is what happened to the last one:

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/analysis-opinion/ohios-new-voting-maps-violate-its-own-constitution

They are running the R playbook for state level politics to a T and I think the more moderate, swing voter types in Ohio are taking notice. I think younger Ohio voters are starting to get out more and are much, much more left leaning than the older folks who are dying and leaving the state for warmer places. I’m hopeful we can vote some serious changes in for the first time since I’ve lived here. The number of people I’ve heard bemoan the fact that we aren’t in the same situation as Michigan is high, especially considering I’m in Columbus and some Ohioans have a thing about Michigan.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Trump is the single most toxic politican in the country, people will crawl over broken glass to vote against him.

On top of that his SC doomed the GOP to be destroyed on abortion forever, the fact that the higher ups haven't realized that he is the Omen of Doom for their party and cut him utterly the gently caress loose after what, 4 complete slaughters and a decent off year in 2021 (before Dobbs) will never not be funny to me.

Like the poll numbers have to sell a horse race, because it would be boring (and get no clicks) to just go "GOP has to rig MS to come within single digits to survive, gets blown the gently caress out everywhere not deep red".

Hopefully someone convinces Trumbo's dying brain to run on a national abortion ban :getin:

i am a moron posted:

They are really convinced they own the state at this point and can do no wrong. I’m not sure if they’re even really doing normal political calculus at this point - trying to raise the threshold for voting amendments into the constitution seems like a massive miscalculation and insisting on running on unpopular platforms seems like their own hubris.

We’re gonna be voting on ANOTHER gerrymandering amendment next year, this is what happened to the last one:

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/analysis-opinion/ohios-new-voting-maps-violate-its-own-constitution

They are running the R playbook for state level politics to a T and I think the more moderate, swing voter types in Ohio are taking notice. I think younger Ohio voters are starting to get out more and are much, much more left leaning than the older folks who are dying and leaving the state for warmer places. I’m hopeful we can vote some serious changes in for the first time since I’ve lived here. The number of people I’ve heard bemoan the fact that we aren’t in the same situation as Michigan is high, especially considering I’m in Columbus and some Ohioans have a thing about Michigan.

Its all of this plus they have lost the suburbs and most of the squishy moderates and fence party types, the folks like my dad or my various extended family or etc who would vote for a kasich or a hogan or some other fiscal type boring guy but dislike the loud social hardline poo poo or know LGBT folks or are fine with abortion. like they arnt giant LGBTQ allies but the GOP going openly nazi over it mixed with book bans didnt help. its also the GOP refuses to acknoledge that they are not the silent majority anymore or at least not the silent majority when it comes to social issues and that running weird social conservatives who sound like weird /pol/ posters who talk about 100000 year old little girls while screaming nazi poo poo, isnt helping them.
I have said it in other threads but the wine/soccer mom demo for the most part isnt the scared consevrtive dipshit, they are scared social liberals now who will vote blue on abortion and because their sons and daughters or their childrends friends are LGBTQ. yeah the social nuts still obviously exist but if you follow the moms for liberty bans, most of the ban requests come from maybe like 100 people countrywide that just spend all day doing this poo poo. this isnt a majority poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 8, 2023

Beantown
Apr 21, 2009
Minor compared to the KY/VA/PA/OH results yesterday, but in my city in Massachusetts, a MAGA/anti-woke candidate who tried to sneak her way onto the school board was defeated. Two weeks ago, it was discovered that she, Liberty Schaaf, was a social media follower of PragerU and an anti-LGBT group called "Massachusetts Informed Parents" run by the far-right Massachusetts Family Institute, as a commenter on Reddit revealed: https://www.reddit.com/r/QuincyMa/comments/17h3s3z/school_committee_candidates_part_of_right_wing/

Liberty's retort was...not great, involving no explicit denials, apologies, or reassurances to LGBT people: https://www.reddit.com/r/QuincyMa/comments/17hwf6w/libertys_retort/

Naturally, her supporters tried to dox the original Redditor: https://www.reddit.com/r/QuincyMa/comments/17mtrq9/qie_facebook_group_revealing_identity_of_reddit/

The results? Liberty came nowhere near making the school board, while a very progressive challenger, Courtney Perdios, who was ripped for weeks by right-wingers in Quincy social media groups, not only won (and kicked out one of the boomer incumbents), but got the most votes out of all the candidates, including the two incumbents who also made it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

i am a moron posted:

From a purely "get it gone" view, grinding the voters with endless votes probably would eventually work. Of course, then you went and caught the car again. Only now everyone is extra pissed because they've been telling you to gently caress off for years.

Assuming there's enough election cycles before it's no longer the social issue we're fighting over.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Gyges posted:

From a purely "get it gone" view, grinding the voters with endless votes probably would eventually work. Of course, then you went and caught the car again. Only now everyone is extra pissed because they've been telling you to gently caress off for years.

Assuming there's enough election cycles before it's no longer the social issue we're fighting over.

Maybe I’m just too amped about this whole thing, but the state GOP thought they’d catch us by surprise with the August vote and it failed miserably not in small part due to high turnout. I think the question for me isn’t whether they’d keep trying this poo poo - it’s whether they’ll control the statehouse long enough to do it. And I am hoping their stunts and crocodile tears and disingenuous commercials really end up costing them next year.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

the_steve posted:

If they can convince voters that they're actually going to put in an effort, I could see your What-If having some likelihood, but if they just keep beating the "Orange Man bad, democracy is on the ballot, most important election ever" drum without offering any actual tangible reasons to turn out for them, then they're probably just going to eat poo poo at the voting booths.

I agree that abortion is the issue that is pushing Democrats out to vote. That's why I voted this year for a candidate who didn't even have a website or picture on Ballotpedia. Glenn Youngkin isn't really a traditional MAGA Republican and he tried a "moderate 15 week ban" and tried to make anyone seem extreme if they wanted anything passed that, but it didn't work in Virginia. This year I voted to protect abortion access, and next time I'll vote to try to get a governor who will codify it into law.

MAGA is off-putting to everyone who isn't into it, but everyone knows it already and what MAGA Republicans are. It just doesn't hit as hard as it did in 2016. These elections are some of the most important ever, but the reason that is sticking in most people's minds is abortion access, not Democracy.

Edit: A huge amount of anti-Youngkin mailers two years ago were just about comparing him to Trump, and they were indistinguishable from a pro-Youngkin ad for somebody who likes MAGA policies. What changed was the abortion ruling in the Supreme Court.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 8, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Beantown posted:

Minor compared to the KY/VA/PA/OH results yesterday, but in my city in Massachusetts, a MAGA/anti-woke candidate who tried to sneak her way onto the school board was defeated. Two weeks ago, it was discovered that she, Liberty Schaaf, was a social media follower of PragerU and an anti-LGBT group called "Massachusetts Informed Parents" run by the far-right Massachusetts Family Institute, as a commenter on Reddit revealed: https://www.reddit.com/r/QuincyMa/comments/17h3s3z/school_committee_candidates_part_of_right_wing/

Liberty's retort was...not great, involving no explicit denials, apologies, or reassurances to LGBT people: https://www.reddit.com/r/QuincyMa/comments/17hwf6w/libertys_retort/

Naturally, her supporters tried to dox the original Redditor: https://www.reddit.com/r/QuincyMa/comments/17mtrq9/qie_facebook_group_revealing_identity_of_reddit/

The results? Liberty came nowhere near making the school board, while a very progressive challenger, Courtney Perdios, who was ripped for weeks by right-wingers in Quincy social media groups, not only won (and kicked out one of the boomer incumbents), but got the most votes out of all the candidates, including the two incumbents who also made it.
The red flag was that her name is ‘Liberty’

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

gurragadon posted:

I agree that abortion is the issue that is pushing Democrats out to vote. That's why I voted this year for a candidate who didn't even have a website or picture on Ballotpedia. Glenn Youngkin isn't really a traditional MAGA Republican and he tried a "moderate 15 week ban" and tried to make anyone seem extreme if they wanted anything passed that, but it didn't work in Virginia. This year I voted to protect abortion access, and next time I'll vote to try to get a governor who will codify it into law.

MAGA is off-putting to everyone who isn't into it, but everyone knows it already and what MAGA Republicans are. It just doesn't hit as hard as it did in 2016. These elections are some of the most important ever, but the reason that is sticking in most people's minds is abortion access, not Democracy.

Edit: A huge amount of anti-Youngkin mailers two years ago were just about comparing him to Trump, and they were indistinguishable from a pro-Youngkin ad for somebody who likes MAGA policies. What changed was the abortion ruling in the Supreme Court.

agreed but i think social conservatism in general is now a loser outside the reddist states and even thats not garunteed. abortion is primary motivator now but so is "gently caress social conservative weirdos".

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fuschia tude posted:

They let Dobbs "happen on their watch" by...believing SCOTUS has the last word on legal and Constitutional questions? How exactly can the legislature "undo" a Supreme Court ruling? And SCOTUS was perfectly willing to declare Roe had no Constitutional basis, but you think it being a law would have been a bridge too far for them to overturn?

So in fairness the US is three *co-equal* branches of government. If Congress absolutely wants to they have ways of forcing the issue over SCOTUS. However it basically hasn't happened in all of US history and would at a minimum require Dems having a huge gently caress off majority in Congress and presumably control of the executive branch. They can mess with Scotus's funding, expand the court, potentially remove jurisdiction, etc. They can pass a law and potentially this is unlikely to get overturned because the Conservative SCOTUS was simply reversing precedent that was based on implications of constitutional law, as bullshit as that move was its much harder for them to overturn an explicit law. But passing that law is also hard as they don't control the house currently and don't have a filibuster proof majority of the senate.

But yeah it's still not correct to say they "let" it happen either anymore than they let "poverty" continue to happen because the US is ruled currently by a tyranny of the minority and most of the system is biased in the favour of republicans and empty land.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

Do you think it's reasonable that the people voting for all these random, often centrist Democrats will continue to vote for them in 2024 due to abortion, but when it comes to Biden vs the architect of the abortion bans, they'll sit it out?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

But yeah it's still not correct to say they "let" it happen either anymore than they let "poverty" continue to happen because the US is ruled currently by a tyranny of the minority and most of the system is biased in the favour of republicans and empty land.

I would be more amenable to this argument is Democratic leaders weren't on the record saying how important it is that the US have a strong Republican party. They're not out there condemning the system.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bel Shazar posted:

I would be more amenable to this argument is Democratic leaders weren't on the record saying how important it is that the US have a strong Republican party. They're not out there condemning the system.

Do you honestly let one soundbite from one speech overwrite every other thing ever said by them and apply it to the entire party? Does this apply to all aspects of your life or just the Democrats somehow?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

Do you honestly let one soundbite from one speech overwrite every other thing ever said by them and apply it to the entire party? Does this apply to all aspects of your life or just the Democrats somehow?

It’d be helpful to have a party member of equal importance speak out on this issue in a way that doesn’t coddle the party and makes it clear the point is to defeat them and their ideas so succinctly.

It’s one quote, sure, but it’s also backed up by a long history of Dems adopting bipartisan ideas on the economy or straight-up adopting right wing plans, like the ACA. Folks wouldn’t be so cynical if there was a similar push from the same leadership to adopt left-wing policy and fight for it. But that doesn’t seem to be as popular with mainstream Dems, when the naive take would seem to make that an obvious move. As it is, we get party luminaries telling us we need strong republicans, that we are a capitalist nation, that single payer health care will “never, ever” happen. It’s not just one quote, is the point, it’s a trend you can identify and tie to policy.

If you’re uncomfortable with right wing ideas and policy it’s reasonable to ask why Dems have so often relied on those frameworks and rhetorical devices from the right, why the signature health care reform came from the Heritage Foundation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

agreed but i think social conservatism in general is now a loser outside the reddist states and even thats not garunteed. abortion is primary motivator now but so is "gently caress social conservative weirdos".
That’s not really new

The last time you could theoretically say that culture war BS worked was in 2004 when a bunch of states passed gay marriage bans

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Bel Shazar posted:

That was (a) Pelosi and (B) you've completely stripped out the context of that soundbite. Which was IIRC more about criticizing the way Republicans are facing irrelevance due to their extreme and alienating views. A de facto one party state would be bad because do you really trust Dems to still do good things if republicans have exploded so hard that they don't even have to try to win majorities? That's the point being made, it wasn't "republicans good", it was "stop shifting yourself to the point you implode because you refuse any and all responsible governance."

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
It's cracking me up that a group named "X for Liberty"'s raison d'etre is banning books.

At least other crackpot movements like anti-mask/anti-vax are tangentially related to liberty, even if it's the freedumb kind.

FlamingLiberal posted:

That’s not really new

The last time you could theoretically say that culture war BS worked was in 2004 when a bunch of states passed gay marriage bans

Didn't Youngkin partially get elected due to Critical Race Theory suburban panic?

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

I don't think it's that they don't realize, I think it's that they're stuck in last part of the saying, "he who rides the tiger cannot dismount." Trump, MAGA, the whole proto-fascist movement, everyone can see how much of an electoral millstone this has become for Republicans for years. It's a big pile of garbage that needs to be taken out, but it stinks so bad that no one wants to do it, and so the pile just continues to sit, increasing in stench. The party can't rid themselves of Trump while keeping the fascists (whose party-line votes they need to win general elections at this point); because he once delivered a presidential victory, he is the movement, and the movement is him. Those votes will either stay home, or they'll go out and primary existing Republicans (which, due to many gerrymandered districts, is the only way many Republicans could lose elections). In a vacuum, the textbook way to handle all this would be to accept a couple cycles of election defeats, punish any primary insurgents by starving them of funding and hanging them out to dry in the general elections, internally regroup and aim to start winning elections again in several years. The problem with that approach is, how many tens of millions of boomers are going to die in that regrouping time? Every year that passes, every month, puts more of their voter base into the dirt.

Anyway, I don't think many of these people are privately deluding themselves about the position they're in, they're just stuck hoping that it works or that Something Happens to otherwise change the calculus.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Early returns didn’t quite hold up locally. Town has R mayor and town council. But the Moms for Liberty endorsed school board candidate got trounced 2037 to 1198.

On the county level 5 out of the 12 endorsed Moms for Libery whack jobs won. 3 in one town and 2 in another.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

single-mode fiber posted:

I don't think it's that they don't realize, I think it's that they're stuck in last part of the saying, "he who rides the tiger cannot dismount." Trump, MAGA, the whole proto-fascist movement, everyone can see how much of an electoral millstone this has become for Republicans for years. It's a big pile of garbage that needs to be taken out, but it stinks so bad that no one wants to do it, and so the pile just continues to sit, increasing in stench. The party can't rid themselves of Trump while keeping the fascists (whose party-line votes they need to win general elections at this point);

Also, the fear is that *when Trump is on the ballot*, his coattails will mean absolute victory for all MAGA candidates in right areas. It's absolutely possible for the right wing to lose moderates and electoral power while also radicalizing, in fact that is how it normally works, and that means anyone who wants to keep power during the downturn needs to radicalize also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BUUNNI posted:

GND wasn’t just AOC though, since Markey is a Democrat iirc. As for the reparations question, it definitely was in the forefront of every debate. Even the horrid US media reported it as such.

Seems like Rep. Cori Bush was making some noise in this front but noticeably absent was the same clamor that every presidential candidate in the 2020 elections brought to the issue.

I mean I guess it’s nice to have reps like AOC and Cori Bush still bringing attention to these bills but it’s kind of sad that’s evidently all there ever will be.

According to this article, the "clamor that every presidential candidate in the 2020 elections brought to the issue" was really just Williamson saying she supported reparations, Bernie saying he didn't support reparations, and a couple of the no-hopers saying they supported the idea of potentially being open to maybe being willing to sign a bill that puts together a research committee to study the issue of reparations. Not sure why you think there's anything special about the media reporting on that.

That said, the issue was definitely not "in the forefront of every debate". It came up for a bit in early to mid 2019 when the Senate held its first ever committee hearings on a reparations-related bill, but faded into the background later in the cycle once the primary really got going.

Because I think these types of statements are always better when they come with some sort of evidence so we know it's not just some poo poo we made up, just take it from Google:

That's not everything, of course, but there's only a handful more articles that come up as results, and all of them fall into the same date range. Notice the dates. There was a flurry of coverage that started in early 2019 when a Senate committee took up the question, and then there was another brief burst of headlines in summer 2019 when Williamson made some bold pronouncements about reparations in the second debate, but then it completely vanishes from the news. Reparations completely vanish from 2020 primary coverage in mid-August 2019, and stay gone until after the election.

As for whether Dems have actually done anything about it, the Commission to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act got just 2 House co-sponsors in 2015, but in 2021 it got 196 House co-sponsors and 22 Senate co-sponsors along with an endorsement from Pelosi. It didn't go any further than committee hearings, but that's not shocking considering the very tight margins Dems have had in Congress since 2020; they've had trouble moving forward on a number of positions far more popular than reparations are.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I don't think socially conservative positions in general are losing positions, but the GOP is increasingly being run by diehard ultra-conservatives who take the most extreme position possible. If the GOP kept slowly rolling abortion rights back a little at a time, incrementally piling on more restrictions and limits similar to how they'd been doing it before Roe was overturned, I think a lot of people would have let the frog boil without worrying too much about it. Instead, they're rushing straight to mash the "full ban" button and finding out the hard way that the general electorate was not ready to turn a blind eye to a victory lap this obvious.