Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
As someone who has vaped for over 10 years, the writing on the wall for banning them has been around for almost as long because people are idiots. First doing it in restaurants and cinemas, then the cloud vaping fad, now the complete scourge of disposables. People can't be trusted with anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

smellmycheese posted:

Lunatic Telegraph columnist Alison Pearson announces she is going to go and hang out at the Cenotaph with some pale spirits, which she clearly consumes a lot of judging by this drivel.

Deploring the lack of respect with my millions of friends. They're all just out of frame, deploring too

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Betjeman posted:

As someone who has vaped for over 10 years, the writing on the wall for banning them has been around for almost as long because people are idiots. First doing it in restaurants and cinemas, then the cloud vaping fad, now the complete scourge of disposables. People can't be trusted with anything.

Agree. It really pisses me off. I switched to vaping and finally managed to kick a 30 a day B&H habit. I buy liquids online and fill my pod vape with Nic salts and have never touched a fag since. Now it’s all gonna get taxed / banned / regulated because a bunch of greedy cunts couldn’t help themselves but market it directly to children and design incredibly wasteful one time use crap. Fuckers.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't know enough about vapes but in general nothing with a sealed-in lithium battery should be a single-use consumer product designed to be sold in massive quantities.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

Lunatic Telegraph columnist Alison Pearson announces she is going to go and hang out at the Cenotaph with some pale spirits, which she clearly consumes a lot of judging by this drivel.

This is so obviously beyond-the-pale extremist rhetoric (to the extent of creating 'Islamist heartlands' in London with explicitly foreign populations that are then bussed into invade actual Britain) that in a reasonable world you might almost expect professional consequences for Alison, but OK.

But it's good to see someone spelling out what's usually subtext in our national discourse, that:

1) protests and marches are innately unBritish and should not be cherished as part of the exercise of freedom, but rather infuriating disturbances engineered by cynics. Real Britons are bothered and annoyed by such demonstrations, biting down on our quivering lips at the sight of those placards and banners, and only our legendary tolerance keeps the meddlers from feeling our wrath.

2) Armistice Weekend is about placating a bunch of ancestor-ghosts who hang out at the Cenotaph.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

grobbo posted:

2) Armistice Weekend is about placating a bunch of ancestor-ghosts who hang out at the Cenotaph.

Hey, some of us like Charlie Stross's Laundry Files :smith:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Microplastics posted:

Deploring the lack of respect with my millions of friends. They're all just out of frame, deploring too

If people want to march in support of Israel's actions, there's nothing stopping them from doing so! These columnists just can't stand that public sympathy is clearly with the Palestinians on this one.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Pearson is actively encouraging far right football gangs to travel up and start some poo poo.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I've raided enough old Velothi burial grounds to know that the ancestor ghosts must be respected

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK
"The Islamist Heartlands of Dewsbury and Batley" Is an insane sentence to commit to words

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Betjeman posted:

This reminds me of my first couple of encounters with vaping, back when I was in Law School.

As a kid of the 80's and 90's I had grown up watching the health arguments about smoking and tobacco products.
I had seen the discourse and understanding grow from "you can't market them to kids. You can't let them advertise on things that kids like. You can't do them indoors since that just effects others."

In a real way, over a bunch of years, it felt like the publics education and societies tolerance around cigarettes changed, due to very patient plans and expensive health campaigns.

Then the second vapes came along, you had people vaping inside lecture halls, cinemas and ads for them everywhere.
And it seems (both businesses and consumers of them) all seemed to rely on "don't smoke indoors because that makes you a prick? No that only applies to cigarettes. These are e-cigaeettes, completely different thing."

That really laid the groundwork for "when it comes to respecting other people's health, people will just be cunts." that we'd see during the Pandemic.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the clouds of it hang in the air and take forever to disperse compared to cigarette smoke. aerial minefield for seasonal respiratory illnesses

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Rappaport posted:

Hey, some of us like Charlie Stross's Laundry Files :smith:

I enjoyed the first few but then stopped after number five, huh... that was nine years ago. lol

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I remember the first book, which is so old now that the characters are like: "Wagamamas..? What is this strange, hipster culture?"

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Smoking is cool and vaping drools!!!! Smoking also has the advantage of being a good way to strike up conversation outside bars and clubs, which is how I started. Now I’m getting back into sport other than lifting up heavy things and putting them down though, I’m trying to quit, and as soon as I’ve had a beer that becomes very very difficult.

Off topic but anyone know a good radio station to wake up to? When I was a kid my dad always had the radio on and I miss it, playing your own tunes isn’t the same for feeling connected and being surprised somehow. I’m trialling XS Manchester today, and I’m usually Radio 2 (whether for the actually enjoyable Sarah Cox, or the at least hilariously banal and crap (occasionally infuriating) Vine), but I feel like I’m missing out on something better.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Comedy option: gbs.fm

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

kecske posted:

the clouds of it hang in the air and take forever to disperse compared to cigarette smoke. aerial minefield for seasonal respiratory illnesses

It's very easy to vape without clouds but for some reason being really annoying about it became cool

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jakabite posted:

Smoking is cool and vaping drools!!!! Smoking also has the advantage of being a good way to strike up conversation outside bars and clubs, which is how I started.

Back in the olden days when people could smoke on the office doorstep, I used to take "smoking breaks" even though I didn't smoke.

This is because it dawned on me at some point that the "vertical communication" that went on on that doorstep with everyone from the Post Clerk to the CEO was where a LOT of decisions got discussed and made and by not being part of that group you were missing out on a huge network.

I do remember getting involved in discussions with some life coaches who had been approached by people wanting to give up smoking who were like "they know it's bad for health, I just don't understand why they don't just give up" and I said I could think of at least 10 advantages to smoking that people would need to find other ways of satisfying if they were to give up. (Don't ask me to list them now, I'd have to trawl my mind back about 15 years to itemize them all now - but doorstep vertical communication is a huge one if you're in the corporate world).

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Jakabite posted:

Smoking is cool and vaping drools!!!! Smoking also has the advantage of being a good way to strike up conversation outside bars and clubs, which is how I started. Now I’m getting back into sport other than lifting up heavy things and putting them down though, I’m trying to quit, and as soon as I’ve had a beer that becomes very very difficult.

Off topic but anyone know a good radio station to wake up to? When I was a kid my dad always had the radio on and I miss it, playing your own tunes isn’t the same for feeling connected and being surprised somehow. I’m trialling XS Manchester today, and I’m usually Radio 2 (whether for the actually enjoyable Sarah Cox, or the at least hilariously banal and crap (occasionally infuriating) Vine), but I feel like I’m missing out on something better.

Depends how early you wake up but I always listen to Lauren Laverne on 6music, think it starts at 7:30-8am. Good music selection and usually some interesting guests. The Maths of Life feature is really good.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
You can still establish those vertical communication networks by having a bag of coke at the office Xmas party

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Oh yeah smoking is great if you are in an office, everyone is there from the phone grunts to the heads of departments, all having a great laugh together and making connections.

They should invent safe health giving cigarettes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't know enough about vapes but in general nothing with a sealed-in lithium battery should be a single-use consumer product designed to be sold in massive quantities.
A lot of those will likely be using marginal cells that wouldn't be safe for laypeople to recharge at home with no cell tester and the kind of cheap chargers you get in vape shops without causing a lot more problems than it solves.

In ideal free market world this would be how the market uses cells that can't be used elsewhere. In real free market world they all end up in bushes.

This is why the best solution is proper regulation to ensure that as many as possible of these 'disposable' vapes get recycled so that they can be pulled, tested, and either recharged or waste managed.

kecske posted:

Aerial indicator for seasonal respiratory illnesses. You still get droplet clouds with people's breath, but you can't see it.

iirc at the start of the pandemic California or somewhere used competitive vapers* to demonstrate airflow and ventilation in indoor spaces.

:latestfad:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

You can still establish those vertical communication networks by having a bag of coke at the office Xmas party

Lmao. This is true. Back when I still schnozzing a BBC boss about 4 levels above me ASKED me to take him to a club in Shoreditch and sort him out. Now that’s networking

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

smellmycheese posted:

Thanks Alison, get hosed! See you on Saturday!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Well I don't know how long coke hangs around in your system but in the rail industry random drug tests are a very real thing.
I remember a random drug test being carried out without warning on a whole senior leadership team who were at one of the monthly (well 4 weekly but I digress) meetings.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Deceptively named industry then imo.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

keep punching joe posted:

Now I have an image of office workers all congregating on the balcony to munch carrots

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Deceptively named industry then imo.

Lol

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Back in the olden days when people could smoke on the office doorstep, I used to take "smoking breaks" even though I didn't smoke.

This is because it dawned on me at some point that the "vertical communication" that went on on that doorstep with everyone from the Post Clerk to the CEO was where a LOT of decisions got discussed and made and by not being part of that group you were missing out on a huge network.

It was an acceptable way to take additional breaks too. Even into the early 00s at a company I worked for, it was just accepted that smokers would disappear off for a couple of lengthy smoke breaks mid morning and mid afternoon - but if you didn't smoke and weren't with the smokers, it wasn't acceptable for you to go just go sit in the canteen or go for a brief walk. So all the non-smokers would go stand with the smokers and put up with the smoke, because at least it was a break.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

keep punching joe posted:

Oh yeah smoking is great if you are in an office, everyone is there from the phone grunts to the heads of departments, all having a great laugh together and making connections.

When I still worked in the office, smoke breaks were my main source of info about what was happening. Working from home is great but I feel I've no clue what's going on outside of the small number of people I work directly with.

Although pre-covid smoke breaks were largely becoming vape breaks, and the nerds I work with were obsessed with talking about coils and wattages instead of proper smoke break gossip.

I had a big meetup with work folk in September and I was surprised at how many people in their late 20s/30s who had never smoked in their lives were now huffing down on disposable vapes.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Well I don't know how long coke hangs around in your system but in the rail industry random drug tests are a very real thing.
I remember a random drug test being carried out without warning on a whole senior leadership team who were at one of the monthly (well 4 weekly but I digress) meetings.

Coke clears out of your system in a couple of days or so I am told. Weed however lingers for a month.

They could never do random drug testing in my call center job as half the staff and management would need to be let go. The whole place runs on ching.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I remember when vapes first became a thing. I was working in Colorado and my boss was a German who smoked heavily.

I walked into his office to find him with his feet up on his desk vaping. "It's just water vapour! It's harmless! They can't stop me!"

Next day I came in and he had sheepishly put his vape away and was back to going outside, as within 1 afternoon management had basically gone "haha, gently caress no you don't"

I'm surprised that didn't happen more globally.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Someone should invent an all-natural plant based alternative imo.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Just Another Lurker posted:

I enjoyed the first few but then stopped after number five, huh... that was nine years ago. lol

Last one I read was the 9th book, The Labyrinth Index, 5 years ago. I appreciate that Stross significantly moved the story and setting along throughout the series, but unsurprisingly approaching cosmic horror makes things increasingly grimdark. Not so much my thing. I bounced off the spin-off series within a few pages.

E: looks like he didn’t know what to do with the main story line after The Labyrinth Index! The most recent 3 novels are the spin-off trilogy.

killerwhat fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 8, 2023

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

killerwhat posted:

E: looks like he didn’t know what to do with the main story line after The Labyrinth Index! The most recent 3 novels are the spin-off trilogy.

He feels he's been overtaken by reality , basically...

https://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2023/10/i-should-blog-more-but.html

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jakabite posted:

If I'm up early I like 6 Music when Chris Hawkins is on, if it's later then there's an hour of Bob Ross on Sky Arts at 8am which is much more preferable to Lauren Laverne.

But I'd rather listen to my own music because a) I have immaculate taste & b) I don't stop between every song to talk shite. It's great

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jakabite posted:

If you’re after music rather than actual radio with DJs and such, SomaFM has curated streams for pretty much any genre you could desire.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Radio Paradise might also be your thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

TACD posted:

If you’re after music rather than actual radio with DJs and such, SomaFM has curated streams for pretty much any genre you could desire.

This sounds like the opposite of what he's after.

I well understand the desire to listen to a radio station that plays music and then stops to have a DJ talk so you actually get a little bit of human interaction and get a sort of proto-parasocial relationship going on.

I'm in Ireland so I listen to Radio Nova in the morning (good DJ's, one being a stand up comedian. Plays "classic rock" music so I find I like that.)
It won't be on your English FM radios, but you can very easily stream any country radio stations using a mobile phone, so you could do that if you want.
But don't be surprised if it's a little like tuning into the Mirror Mirror universe where everything is the same just different.