Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
There are also some fancy techniques related to locking items from combining, splitting mid game items for future late game combinations, and backpack/dropping tricks, but those are lessons for another day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I have played a lot of dazzle support over the years, but I just can’t seem to get the feel for dazzle mid.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just won my first unranked game. I chose Witch Doctor and played P4, followed around a Kunka all game that was clearly far and above skilllevel of the rest of the 9. At one point he gave me his bottle, pinged me like mad, and cast X Mark on me, I panicked and mis-clicked my TP to mid tier 1 tower instead of fountain. Waterpark made my Surface Go 2 about catch on fire though. I think I need a better PC.

10/10 stars would mis-click again.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Just won my first unranked game. I chose Witch Doctor and played P4, followed around a Kunka all game that was clearly far and above skilllevel of the rest of the 9. At one point he gave me his bottle, pinged me like mad, and cast X Mark on me, I panicked and mis-clicked my TP to mid tier 1 tower instead of fountain. Waterpark made my Surface Go 2 about catch on fire though. I think I need a better PC.

10/10 stars would mis-click again.

Double Tapping your TP Scroll button automagically teleports you to the Fountain FYI!

But if this is your third game of DOTA and you knew that the guy wanted you to refill his Bottle you're already far ahead of most players already

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

I have been watching BSJ fundamentals and other guides and I feel like the more I watch and "learn" the worse I perform in the bot games that I try. All the new information just keeps piling up and I get overwhelmed with thinking about all the new stuff and getting worse at the basic stuff I should be doing. Like missing lane creeps because I try to get neutral camps included in the farm and then forgetting to buy stuff because I try to keep close track to lane equilibrium and so on. And of course completely missing any map awareness when I try to focus on my farm and then the opposite where my farm and last hitting goes down to toilet when I try to keep track of what is happening in the other lanes. I guess it is part of the learning process but man does it make me feel dumb.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

bad_fmr posted:

man does it make me feel dumb.

:yeah:

Thread title right there

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

Double Tapping your TP Scroll button automagically teleports you to the Fountain FYI!

But if this is your third game of DOTA and you knew that the guy wanted you to refill his Bottle you're already far ahead of most players already

I put TP on Quick Cast, so I don't think you can double click it, I think that's what I did not realizing my faux pas.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah, Quick Cast fucks up the "Double Tap to Self Cast" kind of behavior in my limited experience. So I'd personally not do it for TP scrolls but whatever coats your goat :shrug:

I'm starting to use it for Skills, starting to think I should use it for Some items, but some things I know i don't want to be quick casted.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

bad_fmr posted:

I have been watching BSJ fundamentals and other guides and I feel like the more I watch and "learn" the worse I perform in the bot games that I try. All the new information just keeps piling up and I get overwhelmed with thinking about all the new stuff and getting worse at the basic stuff I should be doing. Like missing lane creeps because I try to get neutral camps included in the farm and then forgetting to buy stuff because I try to keep close track to lane equilibrium and so on. And of course completely missing any map awareness when I try to focus on my farm and then the opposite where my farm and last hitting goes down to toilet when I try to keep track of what is happening in the other lanes. I guess it is part of the learning process but man does it make me feel dumb.

Try to focus on improving at one element of the game at a time.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

TOOT BOOT posted:

Try to focus on improving at one element of the game at a time.

This is good advice, there's just too much in the game, spend a few hours on one thing and them move on. I did like 10 custom lobbies until I could reliably CS and now I'm spending some time working on how item keys work.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
There are a few Arcade games to improve last hitting (SF mid, no opponent, counters etc), if it is not broken atm.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

I think there’s also a last hit trainer in the Learn tab.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

bad_fmr posted:

last hits last hits last hits, the fundamentals build up everything but you don't need them all on day 1. as the man himself says (timestamped vid to the key point but useful stuff throughout for Real Basic Carry Play):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvK3b1JuoAU&t=898s

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Played and won another unranked game last night with Mid Zeus. I used a build I saw Qojqva use, with Kaya -> Philacerty (?) -> Shard -> Moon shard, and by 35 minutes I was blasting down everyone. It was a lot of fun.

One problem, the ingame guides don't load. I see a lot of people complaining about it, but no specific fix.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

One problem, the ingame guides don't load. I see a lot of people complaining about it, but no specific fix.

Did you select a player-made guide, or do you have a dota plus subscription? You can create your own item build guide too.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Did you select a player-made guide, or do you have a dota plus subscription? You can create your own item build guide too.

It gives you a couple free months of Dota Plus when you start playing. But it's none of the guides. The default guide shows up in the shop, but when I click to look at the rest of them, the left menu loads the list of guides, but when I click on one the right pane that shows it is blank, and then when I click "select" it never replaces the default guide.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Yeah, the dota plus guide sometimes just doesn't work, it's kind of annoying. At least it should be suggesting your next item to buy if you don't have anything queued up, though.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

I had the same problem, couldn't load the other guides.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
He means the tortellini and other guides. I did notice a bunch of them broke and just give a blank screen now, I'm not sure as some still seem to work and others dont

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I have been trying to queue up after having not played in ~6 years. I can't seem to find a game though, been sitting in the queue for like 20 minutes at this point. Is this a known issue/is there a fix?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Depends on your region and game type mostly. All Pick is going to be the easiest to find regardless of unranked/ranked, and turbo is also usually quite easy

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I got matched with Sunsfan!
https://twitch.tv/sunsfantv

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm Tinker BTW

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Got owned by Spirit Breaker, great hero.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'm Tinker BTW

Mods??

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
dota is an easy game for morons. “focus” on buying items that sound badass and owning your enemies. all the rest is just sweaty nerds compensating for being bad at rts

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTTURdGPWEU

BSJ is right on the money, this poo poo is way more broken than spirit breaker. Queue up the king, write "I farm radience then fight" and mute your supports and boom, easy wins

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I did one more unranked, I picked Support WD, we had a dual mid, while me and an offlane Tusk held top tower. We both thought we were the support so we fought over not last hitting. After about ten minutes, the dire offlane CK that had a free lane as around level 12, and just farmed us over and over again until our two midlaners went afk in fountain. At one point, I thought was in a battle doing well but turns out I had been dead for ten seconds.

I uninstalled the game, seriously, I have like a million projects to do around the house, two kids to raise, and a marriage. I just don't have time for the few minutes I get to play Video Games be this infuriating.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Dota speed run complete

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

So I did one more unranked, I picked Support WD, we had a dual mid, while me and an offlane Tusk held top tower. We both thought we were the support so we fought over not last hitting. After about ten minutes, the dire offlane CK that had a free lane as around level 12, and just farmed us over and over again until our two midlaners went afk in fountain. At one point, I thought was in a battle doing well but turns out I had been dead for ten seconds.

I uninstalled the game, seriously, I have like a million projects to do around the house, two kids to raise, and a marriage. I just don't have time for the few minutes I get to play Video Games be this infuriating.

Friends don’t let friends play solo queue.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's too bad, but extremely understandable

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Embrace the beauty of solo queue and the knowledge that everyone is as pants at the game as you are, imo

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's a hard sell to say, "The first hundred games suck when you get paired with newbs who have no concept of what laning should be like"

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Mr.Acula posted:

Dont play dota

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

It's a hard sell to say, "The first hundred games suck when you get paired with newbs who have no concept of what laning should be like"

I can't imagine that I have to deal with ~100 hours of this before it starts to get enjoyable, that's like two years of the time I have gaming. I'm just going to keep watching Twitch streams, posting in the dota pro thread about OG, and never picking up this nightmare again. I also don't have a PC strong enough to play it on high settings, so as soon as Kunka gets his water park (which is every game) it turns in to a Dota2 Slideshow Edition.

ILL Machina posted:

Dota speed run complete

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I can't imagine that I have to deal with ~100 hours of this before it starts to get enjoyable, that's like two years of the time I have gaming. I'm just going to keep watching Twitch streams, posting in the dota pro thread about OG, and never picking up this nightmare again. I also don't have a PC strong enough to play it on high settings, so as soon as Kunka gets his water park (which is every game) it turns in to a Dota2 Slideshow Edition.

It doesnt get enjoyable after 7000 hours either hth

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
Ha,Ha...Thought you could keep me out didja?
I've grinded my way up to crusader after years of being in herald thanks to BSJ & ZQuixotix videos helping me understand how DOTA varies from HOTS. Someone a while back suggested I role que up as 4 & 5 because I like supporting. In crusader those roles are truly interchangeable. When I see the 5 building core items it's easy for me to shift over to being the wards and smokes buyer.

I'm going to take a break because I'm waiting for the Post-TI meta to fade away. Darkwillow 1s and carry Bristles haven't worked in my games. So instead of setting myself to rage out because a teammate picked bit off more than they could chew (and not knowing how I can lead to a win), I'll pivot to something else for a bit.

So much of this game, for me, is mental and emotional self-regulating to be successful. Also not queing around/after midnight.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’d strongly recommend playing with friends, or as part of a group.

I have a friend who’s constantly in Low Prio and it’s such a blast playing in those games.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I play unranked with friends, and ranked alone. Surprisingly, my unranked games are a lot more difficult/sweaty. I think having large skill gaps across players has something g to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

yeah....100 hours.....thats when....