Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pff posted:

SQL is great and data touchers should learn it. Databases are great - you can pull live data from them into Excel.

Yeah, this is the solution I am moving my process PO requests to just because it is something the average person can understand, can automate emails and will give me the archive/record system I need to establish for compliance reasons. I had used a live SQL Access sheet for requests and tracking in an old job, but there was more part-project specific data to monitor then. Soon I will be off this program so long as this all works after Thanksgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just traveled 45 minutes for a job interview, the hiring manager walked into the room and immediately said he's not interested in hiring someone who would be so unprofessional as to wear a green shirt to an interview and left :what:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

deep dish peat moss posted:

I just traveled 45 minutes for a job interview, the hiring manager walked into the room and immediately said he's not interested in hiring someone who would be so unprofessional as to wear a green shirt to an interview and left :what:

They already know who they're going to hire, you're just there to tick a box.

Which really loving sucks. I wish there were some way to word requiring external interviews without making them obviously pro forma and wasting everyone else's time.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dodged a bullet there.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Time to start wearing more green shirts to interviews

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

If they’ve got a Glassdoor, do the needful

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you want to be drowning in money, you should consider working as a construction manager in the mining industry.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

teen witch posted:

If they’ve got a Glassdoor, do the needful

You owe this to everyone else who may interview with that shitbag.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

fresh_cheese posted:

You owe this to everyone else who may interview with that shirtbag.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Dumb shirt your work does

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Came into the office for the first time since pre-Covid today. It's not a mandate, but it's a strong suggestion to come in at least twice a week. I've noticed that they have installed a lot of phone booths all over the office. So they want me to drive 50-60 minutes each way to come into the office, to use a phone booth, so I can call my coworkers and join meetings in different geos.

"Let's try to get our badge rate up!!!!" :sigh:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

McGavin posted:

Dumb shirt your work does

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's not a mandate, but it's a strong suggestion to come in at least twice a week

Sounds like you need to be in the office zero times per week

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Goldshirts for command, blueshirts for medical, redshirts for people who are going to die and greenshirts, well, we don't hire greenshirts.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Greenshirts for middle management positions (to be ejected from airlock during initial warpdrive tests)

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

I still think about* the HR guy in 2020 who had me drive 3.5 hours to come in for a panel interview that he used his turn on to denigrate the college on my resume and myself as the kind of person who would go there.

*wish bodily harm on

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I don’t remember what color my shirt was that day

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Sounds like you need to be in the office zero times per week

Agreed

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I hate our testing software, I’m struggling to explain that “manual valve open” does not refer to a manual valve, or its status. It refers to a larger than expected gas flow, triggering the ion gauge to disable.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
need to rename it the "someone farted" warning

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Eminent emissions imminent

like a peck of pickled peppers

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I would if any feedback went anywhere. The last time I tried was because the software wasn’t waiting long enough after actuating a different valve, and the unstable flow in the instant of toggling was failing the test.

I suggested a 5 second wait step inserted between the toggle and sensor polling.

I got an email back saying an earlier waiting step, before the valve was opened, was enough to stabilize the flow that had not yet started, and no further correspondence was returned.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I tell my manager that I do appreciate the random 5 minute in-person conversation that actually get a lot of cool poo poo done.

I do not tell my manager what I think of the two and half hours out of my life it takes to get to the office to have that conversation. But, my real opinion on why I go to the office is the same answer John Dillinger gave when a reporter asked him why he robbed banks, "That's where the money is."

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
The day I am forced back into office permanently rather than when I am needed to be there in person is the day I simply hand in my resignation lmao

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

TaurusTorus posted:

I hate our testing software, I’m struggling to explain that “manual valve open” does not refer to a manual valve, or its status. It refers to a larger than expected gas flow, triggering the ion gauge to disable.

:techno:

I think you need to reset the plasma conduit first

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bypass the ODN circuit into the secondary buffer (loving Cardassians)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

TaurusTorus posted:

That's a horse poo poo message if that's the case but I have zero illusion that 1 change request and 16 months of discussion later it will be renamed to something even more nonsensical.

I still fondly remember there's a slightly obtuse but extremely general purpose error message in SAP (imagine that) that got customized by one of my last clients replacing it with a message that explains 1 out of the 69 reasons that could cause the error because some yokel opened a defect they it needs a more proper message explaining the problem. Just absolutely love having discussions with ESL offshore telling them "yeah, we got the message saying it did ABC, what you're actually going to check is DEF."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Came into the office for the first time since pre-Covid today. It's not a mandate, but it's a strong suggestion to come in at least twice a week. I've noticed that they have installed a lot of phone booths all over the office. So they want me to drive 50-60 minutes each way to come into the office, to use a phone booth, so I can call my coworkers and join meetings in different geos.
We have a bunch of solo/duo "meeting booths" in the office and some people had to be told they can't claim them as their personal office all day. I know at least one person made a habit of leaving their stuff in one overnight.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

♪ I was looking for a job and then I found a job, and heaven knows I'm miserable now ♬

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Collateral Damage posted:

We have a bunch of solo/duo "meeting booths" in the office and some people had to be told they can't claim them as their personal office all day. I know at least one person made a habit of leaving their stuff in one overnight.

I sympathize, because I’d rather be stuck in something the size of a phone booth all day than deal with an open office.

Last time I was in two different groups of people were having spirited conversation right next to my hotel desk. One of them was a half-hour long discussion of the company’s shuttle service.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I called them "Suicide booths" when I saw that they'd put them in mostly on the floor with the call center as part of the covid remodel.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Weird, almost as if some people would prefer some level of permanence and privacy to do work!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Blue Moonlight posted:

I sympathize, because I’d rather be stuck in something the size of a phone booth all day than deal with an open office.
Obviously I would prefer if people could have their own offices, but I don't think we're ever going back to that.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Volmarias posted:

Weird, almost as if some people would prefer some level of permanence and privacy to do work!

Want to get really good and angry? Ask management why they get private offices and noone else does.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Outrail posted:

Want to get really good and angry? Ask management why they get private offices and noone else does.

They're dealing with sensitive company data and finances.

When you point out that you do the same:

Then you should book a meeting room for those discussions and make sure the door is closed. I will not be taking anymore questions.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I once worked for a company that loved the hotel desk system but had no appreciation for how many people were on each floor of the building, so the private phone rooms ended up used as regular desks and people had to take calls in the stairwell.

Also all the meeting rooms were permanently booked as "war rooms" and teams that weren't hot poo poo enough to have a war room just didn't get to have meetings lol

Meanwhile the floor below us was a ghost town, maybe a third of the way full, if that. We weren't allowed to use it since it belonged to a different business unit of the same company (still under the engineering org, mind you). I managed to get access and would go there to poop since the toilet paper on our floor would be refilled once a day and be empty before noon.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dameius posted:

They're dealing with sensitive company data and finances.

When you point out that you do the same:

Then you should book a meeting room for those discussions and make sure the door is closed. I will not be taking anymore questions.

Do like I used to do when I couldn't get a response from a stubborn rear end in a top hat client when I was working at an MSP. I did a little server/web filtering work behind the scenes, saw a LOT of his traffic was going to sites for sports (mainly golf & football) but he always dragged his feet on meetings, contract updates & everything else.

So I started blocking all the sites he liked to visit. Only his account & computer.

Still remember how irrationally angry he got, guessing he had some kind of gambling addiction but after a couple times of blocking his ~*precious sports*~ he finally got his poo poo together & answered us timely. Wish we would've dumped them but it was near the time I quit & they were already having money problems, so no chance they were letting clients go regardless of how trash they were.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Obviously I would prefer if people could have their own offices, but I don't think we're ever going back to that.

In my entire career I have only once had managers get their own offices, and that was because we had custom built the site to have more offices than needed. Everywhere else we had breakout rooms while managers had Luxury Cubes. I am technically a manager now and I technically have an office, but I have no employees and also the office is one of the extra bedrooms of my house.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 8, 2023

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I have my own office now that I have to share with my intern when they're on site so they have space to learn their shapes and colors and how to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

my company doesn't have, has never had, and has no plans to hire a UI/UX person. they barely have front-end developers, just devs that have slightly more experience working with JS and CSS than others.

we make fairly complex web-based enterprise software tying together a variety of different use cases relating to business process management, compliance, regulatory approval and such

it looks like it was designed 15 years ago and poorly for that time, let alone today

they're constantly getting poor feedback on the interface but think getting the product owners and devs to share responsibility for improving the design makes sense. nothing is consistent. no styleguides exist. responsiveness? lol

higherups regularly demand things look a certain way, either from their own POV or feedback from clients. none of it is ever in line with a single design principle. i've shown them how many things in fact directly contradict best practices over and over.

"why does this text box only take up like half the screen? make it full width, use that white space"
"actually, having text span the entire width of the page makes it tiring to read as your eyes have to move back and forth way further than necessary, leading to worse absorption and user experience. the user is literally getting tired out just by reading text. here are some articles backing this up. you might compare it to social media sites - they ALL use a set width of the main feed, to avoid this problem. i'd bet money you can't find me a single site designed in the last 15 years that actually uses the entire width of the page, or at least one that is anywhere close to popular or successful. whitespace needs to be used effectively to keep things user-friendly."
"yeah but the customers don't want to scroll more than they have to. just make it full width."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA