Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That would be cool. It's annoying how hard it is to standardize cargo space / interior space measurements, I think it's difficult to create a tool like that.

Most of the published metrics focus on a number, square meters, feet etc. In my experience, the most important metric is how much of a flat, square, unobstructed space you can have without banging into pillars and body work. If you're all about transporting helium-filled balloons, that's cool. But man, when loading boxes at IKEA dock, and a car half your size is somehow capable of fitting way more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I saw a volvo S90 the other day

Is this basically a norwegian swedish 7 series built by the chinese? I guess all of them come with a 2.0L turbocharged I4, in various states of tune. General dimensions look like they're pretty (very) close to the 7 series

Here is a 2021 S90 with 25k miles for $36k

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Volvo-S90-San-Jose-d515_L2938#listing=362830976/NONE/DEFAULT

edit AND THERE'S A WAGON VERSION?? :swoon:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Volvo-V90-d520#listing=369879284/NONE/STORE_TRANSFER

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 7, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The V90 was generally order-only in the US after the first year or two. There are not many of them in the market as a result. Earlier powertrains included a heinously complex turbo/supercharged four cylinder.

I think the V90 Cross Country is still orderable, and I've thought about it for a family car. The problem is that they're not particularly interesting to drive. They look nice and are comfortable but I'm not really sure why you would buy one over the A6 Allroad other than badge/image considerations.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I have an XC-90 and every time I see a V90 I get a little pang of jealousy. I think they look so good.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
https://twitter.com/QuinnvestLamb/status/1721695647366099216?s=20

Is this the fastest depreciating thing in the segment? Is there anything else that's fallen as quickly?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

Is this the fastest depreciating thing in the segment? Is there anything else that's fallen as quickly?
If it was true, yes.

Maybe that's what the dealer offered him as a trade-in or something. But those cars are selling for way more than that.

A quick search shows me that used car dealers are asking $40-50k for those cars.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Nitrox posted:

If it was true, yes.

Maybe that's what the dealer offered him as a trade-in or something. But those cars are selling for way more than that.

A quick search shows me that used car dealers are asking $40-50k for those cars.
You can see in the tweet that its just what Carvana is currently offering for his car.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Nitrox posted:

If it was true, yes.

They cost less than that new, I checked and this is the new price before the $7,500 tax credit comes off:

I do think that the market is in a weird place because of higher rates and EV saturation and a lot of dealers who happened to own some Teslas got soaked by the price cuts.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They look nice and are comfortable but I'm not really sure why you would buy one over the A6 Allroad other than badge/image considerations.

The trim level one down from the "cross country" doesn't have the silly ABS plastic fender flares and IMO looks like a proper euro wagen as if the e39 wagon found a slightly younger spouse. Plus it comes in this pleasing scandanavian powder blue :swoon::hf::sweden:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Twerk from Home posted:

If you do the same thing for the Mach-e it's even worse.

The car market has cooled off, government incentives are back, and Tesla cut prices which has rippled throughout the market, and Carvana is currently offering horrible prices for everything.

e:

This would have been a ~$75,000+ car in 2022 before Ford cut prices in response to Tesla cutting prices.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 7, 2023

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

And it's by no means restricted to EVs. According to Carvana the Accord I sold last year has lost nearly 60% of its value.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dec of last year the MSRP on a Model Y LR AWD was 65,990 before taxes/incentives ect. Today Elon is selling the same vehicle for 48,990.

Personally I think it's hilarious that this happened and folks are super pissed about it. I mean I'm glad I'm not the one holding the bag.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

bird with big dick posted:

And it's by no means restricted to EVs. According to Carvana the Accord I sold last year has lost nearly 60% of its value.

Honestly, the market seems heavily tilted in favor of gas hybrids than anything else. I think the lack of sufficient infrastructure makes EVs a really difficult value proposition, especially if it's more expensive than a gas-only vehicle.

That being said, everyone I've met wants EVs they just don't know how they would be able to charge it if their office/apartment doesn't offer chargers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jokes posted:

That being said, everyone I've met wants EVs they just don't know how they would be able to charge it if their office/apartment doesn't offer chargers.

That's the rub, now isn't it? I think the previously unmet demand for EVs has been met. Now the market will be the whatever 10-20% of people for whom an EV makes sense when they are replacing a car at this state in battery technology and infrastructure. Those are largely homeowners (so they can charge at home) who are also likely to have a second or third car that is not an EV.

I don't see this situation changing significantly unless and until the technology or infrastructure changes significantly. We're already seeing government mandates being backed off of the previously plainly and obviously unrealistic target dates.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hadlock posted:

The trim level one down from the "cross country" doesn't have the silly ABS plastic fender flares and IMO looks like a proper euro wagen as if the e39 wagon found a slightly younger spouse. Plus it comes in this pleasing scandanavian powder blue :swoon::hf::sweden:

there were literally like 1600 sold in the US, good luck!

you can get the a6 with body-keyed cladding in several colors and also like... the e wagon is right there, too

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Motronic posted:

That's the rub, now isn't it? I think the previously unmet demand for EVs has been met. Now the market will be the whatever 10-20% of people for whom an EV makes sense when they are replacing a car at this state in battery technology and infrastructure. Those are largely homeowners (so they can charge at home) who are also likely to have a second or third car that is not an EV.

I don't see this situation changing significantly unless and until the technology or infrastructure changes significantly. We're already seeing government mandates being backed off of the previously plainly and obviously unrealistic target dates.

Tesla fighting back on opening up their supercharger network is another huge stall because Tesla owners don't want other people to access their chargers and Tesla has a really excellent network that resolves a lot of the cross-country issues for drivers. It also doesn't require you to sit around for an hour or whatever while your car charges which is super helpful.

Still, the federal government is keen on giving out huge boons to people building out EV chargers, and a lot of state govts really want to not have to deal with gas prices dominating the news cycle. I think it's going to take a lot of taxpayer-provided derisking for auto manufacturers along with taxpayer-provided infrastructure development at roughly the same time-- which is right now! I expect a lot of EV pushes to be met with low demand and EVs to have low resale value because the goal is that everyone that can will be able to drive an EV.

I personally cannot, so I drive a gas hybrid but I don't know anyone who would be willing to drive a car with low mileage outside of the superwealthy (or the people pretending to be). Here in CA, I saw a dude fill up his Ford Raptor and it was $150 and he seemed loving pissed about it. Clearly not pissed enough to drive a less absurd car, but definitely pissed enough to write a letter to the governor or whomever.

jokes fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 7, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lots of money to build, not a lot to operate, still doesn't fix the underlying unmet peak power needs from the grid in a ton of places.

I know we'll get there eventually, but it's going to take a long time and even more money. This is not a quick fix.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there were literally like 1600 sold in the US, good luck!

you can get the a6 with body-keyed cladding in several colors and also like... the e wagon is right there, too

My desire to buy an Audi is only marginally higher than that of buying a Nissan Altima

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If I was buying a car, I absolutely would look into a plug-in (if you have access to a charger) or gas hybrids. Cities and states are trying to slowly electrify but they aren't there yet (making EVs not a great option for everyone). Gas is getting expensive, especially in cities, and there's no reason to think that will alleviate soon. There are federal incentives for buying EVs, but that's really more of a beta test incentive.

Not surprised that EVs are slashing prices as the market and grid matures, and also that gas-only non-hybrids are dropping in prices-- especially in this financing environment. A car that gets 50+ MPG and/or is electrified is a hugely valuable alternative.

jokes fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 7, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hadlock posted:

My desire to buy an Audi is only marginally higher than that of buying a Nissan Altima

E wagon is superior to the V90 in every way

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I'd love a plug in hybrid but they're pretty scarce and/or trading at a significant premium on the used market

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I'd love a plug in hybrid but they're pretty scarce and/or trading at a significant premium on the used market

I need a full EV drivetrain, preferably something with ECUs I can already code (like ford/GM) for some very bad ideas I have involving a certain rusty 1998 land rover......

The lower prices seem like a pretty good indication that junkyard prices will fall to facilitate this inadvisable venture.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Any ideas about a rusty 1998 Land Rover are bad ideas.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

in a well actually posted:

Any ideas about a Land Rover are bad ideas.

Fixed that for you

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

seems like using carvana is a bad way to value cars. they were lowballing even during covid

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

I need a full EV drivetrain, preferably something with ECUs I can already code (like ford/GM) for some very bad ideas I have involving a certain rusty 1998 land rover......

The lower prices seem like a pretty good indication that junkyard prices will fall to facilitate this inadvisable venture.

Looking forward to EV swapping my Citroen in 5-10 years

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I'm ready to buy a junked or lemoned cybertruck next year to shove the drive in my Scout.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ethanol posted:

seems like using carvana is a bad way to value cars. they were lowballing even during covid

It's kind of the only "I could turn this car into this much money today" tool available, I don't think KBB is that authoritative any more-- maybe I'm wrong?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Carmax.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

jokes posted:

It's kind of the only "I could turn this car into this much money today" tool available, I don't think KBB is that authoritative any more-- maybe I'm wrong?

So? the way to do it has always been to look at actual private listings or what car dealers sell their used cars at (uncertified). KBB should give you private listing values. If the market is unstable then KBB will do a bad job. In that case if private listings for a year old model y are that low, then sure. But like I don't say my vehicle is depreciating 2k a month if I'm just letting myself get ripped off by trade in value.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 8, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Motronic posted:

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance-parts/ecrate - though I imagine you are trying to do it not at new crate prices
not sure about the ease of putting a 4L60 in the Land Rover, a quick google indicates there are adapters for the transfer cases available.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

jokes posted:

Tesla fighting back on opening up their supercharger network is another huge stall because Tesla owners don't want other people to access their chargers and Tesla has a really excellent network that resolves a lot of the cross-country issues for drivers. It also doesn't require you to sit around for an hour or whatever while your car charges which is super helpful.

Still, the federal government is keen on giving out huge boons to people building out EV chargers, and a lot of state govts really want to not have to deal with gas prices dominating the news cycle. I think it's going to take a lot of taxpayer-provided derisking for auto manufacturers along with taxpayer-provided infrastructure development at roughly the same time-- which is right now! I expect a lot of EV pushes to be met with low demand and EVs to have low resale value because the goal is that everyone that can will be able to drive an EV.

I personally cannot, so I drive a gas hybrid but I don't know anyone who would be willing to drive a car with low mileage outside of the superwealthy (or the people pretending to be). Here in CA, I saw a dude fill up his Ford Raptor and it was $150 and he seemed loving pissed about it. Clearly not pissed enough to drive a less absurd car, but definitely pissed enough to write a letter to the governor or whomever.

I happily bought cars with mediocre mileage and planned to make even worse with a V8 while living in the Bay Area, and Seattle isn’t much better. The people willing to drive cars with low mileage post in AI

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm always a little amused & annoyed when people complain/brag about how much/little it costs to fill up their car, as if every car has the same size fuel tank. Like yeah sure there's some correlation between efficiency and tank size but not 1:1. I've had efficient cars with huge fuel tanks and inefficient cars with small fuel tanks.

My current two vehicles get very similar average mileage, but one has a tank several gallons larger than the other so yeah no poo poo it costs more to fill up but it also goes farther on a tank. The low fuel light is also way more conservative and comes on way earlier on the smaller tank car, like kind of obnoxiously early. On the other hand, when a German car lights up to tell you that you're low on gas it loving means it.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 8, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Guinness posted:

I've had efficient cars with huge fuel tanks

Tell me about this one, I haven't seen many cars with over 600 miles range on a tank. Our PHEV Niro does it, just barely, if we start with a full charge.

Most really efficient cars seem to have small fuel tanks, I thought that most Priuses had around a 10 gallon tank but it looks like I'm completely wrong: https://www.donringlertoyota.com/2022-toyota-prius-mpg/

quote:

The Toyota Prius gas tank size is 14.5 gallons.

That puts the 4th gen Prius well past 600 miles range, jeez. Assuming you can only use 13.5 gallons of that it's still at nearly 700 miles.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Tell me about this one, I haven't seen many cars with over 600 miles range on a tank. Our PHEV Niro does it, just barely, if we start with a full charge.

My old '91 535i had a 21.1 gallon fuel tank and would get nearly 30mpg highway cruising. don't ask about city stop and go though

But anyway, point is comparing the cost to fill is meaningless compared to cost per mile.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 8, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance-parts/ecrate - though I imagine you are trying to do it not at new crate prices
not sure about the ease of putting a 4L60 in the Land Rover, a quick google indicates there are adapters for the transfer cases available.

The Chevy ecrate pricing has not been compelling and the Ford Eluminator looks okay until you realize at the quoted $3900 they're selling just a bare motor with no PCM, no charge controller, no batteries. And at last check those things weren't even available from them so you just have to roll your own, potentially out of their parts catalog. At that point you just want a wrecked EV that had all the go bits installed in a package that you know works.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

jokes posted:

If I was buying a car, I absolutely would look into a plug-in (if you have access to a charger) or gas hybrids.

If you mean plug-in hybrid - those can be charged in a normal wall outlet right? If you buy a PHEV does it come with the charger or does that have to be bought separately?

The idea of a car that can do short trips around town without gas but also have gas range is very appealing. I'm hesitant to go for a $40-50k car with interest rates what they are though :/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

If you mean plug-in hybrid - those can be charged in a normal wall outlet right? If you buy a PHEV does it come with the charger or does that have to be bought separately?

The idea of a car that can do short trips around town without gas but also have gas range is very appealing. I'm hesitant to go for a $40-50k car with interest rates what they are though :/

My wife and I bought a Niro PHEV in 2019, it was under $30k OTD taxed before the ~$4650 tax credit came back to us, so really about $25k.

It came with a level 1 charger, rather than paying a pro I just buried direct burial wire out to the parking pad under landscape lighting code, it's all kosher. Takes about 10 hours to put the EPA-rated 26 miles in the battery on 120V. It has worked extremely well for us, because commutes are short distance but tons of sitting in traffic and it's nice to be able to sit in traffic for 2 hours a day without burning a drop of gas, but be able to take the same car on an interstate drive and fill up for $25 instantly at the gas station.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

my bony fealty posted:

No idea, but I think the Level 1 Charger (the weakest) uses a 120V AC current which is what a lot of larger household appliances run off of, like a clothes dryer.

It's worth noting there are available tax credits for plug-ins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jokes posted:

No idea, but I think the Level 1 Charger (the weakest) uses a 120V AC current which is what a lot of larger household appliances run off of, like a clothes dryer.

No. 120v is a regular outlet. Not what your electric dryer runs off of.