Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Quixzlizx posted:

Another dumb question, if I want to try out a paid ninja account, do I have to pay the "extra" for the fees? I would've just asked on their discord server, but it wanted me to give a bunch of permissions to some third-party captcha bot which I don't really want to do if possible.

Oh, that's interesting. Is it just outright fake/empty nzbs being submitted, or nzbs being submitted with unintentionally broken metadata, or what? Since the integrity of the actual files should be completely independent of where the nzbs are being submitted, I'm assuming.

Nzbs aren’t “submitted”. You’re thinking of torrents, and should read up on Usenet & indexing a bit to understand how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Nzbs aren’t “submitted”. You’re thinking of torrents, and should read up on Usenet & indexing a bit to understand how it works.

What you're saying is kind of my point. Why would certain indexers have a higher percentage of nzb files that fail than others? Are some Usenet groups just more likely to have broken crap posted to them, and the indexer isn't filtering out those groups?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Quixzlizx posted:

What you're saying is kind of my point. Why would certain indexers have a higher percentage of nzb files that fail than others? Are some Usenet groups just more likely to have broken crap posted to them, and the indexer isn't filtering out those groups?

The ‘crap’ isn’t broken it’s getting hit with DMCA takedown requests and pieces are going missing in response.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

The ‘crap’ isn’t broken it’s getting hit with DMCA takedown requests and pieces are going missing in response.

That makes more sense, but it's still interesting that different indexers seem to be affected differently, unless certain groups are more likely to be affected by the issue and some indexers adjust more than others.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Quixzlizx posted:

That makes more sense, but it's still interesting that different indexers seem to be affected differently, unless certain groups are more likely to be affected by the issue and some indexers adjust more than others.

A large number of nzb files are 'encrypted' in that they don't say what they are for. Indexers are commonly on channels (irc/telegram/discord) that basically act as a map between the filename of the nzbd and the actual content.
IE: On Usenet it could be:
Subject 6f5902ac237024bdd0c176cb93063dc4.nzbd
And then the OP drops a note in some channels:
6f5902ac237024bdd0c176cb93063dc4.nzbd is S03E23 Some New Shoe - AMZ 1080 OMG LOL.mkv

If Nzbgeek is on that channel and updates appropriate they have the file. If Drunkenslug isn't on there, then they don't.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Hughlander posted:

A large number of nzb files are 'encrypted' in that they don't say what they are for. Indexers are commonly on channels (irc/telegram/discord) that basically act as a map between the filename of the nzbd and the actual content.
IE: On Usenet it could be:
Subject 6f5902ac237024bdd0c176cb93063dc4.nzbd
And then the OP drops a note in some channels:
6f5902ac237024bdd0c176cb93063dc4.nzbd is S03E23 Some New Shoe - AMZ 1080 OMG LOL.mkv

If Nzbgeek is on that channel and updates appropriate they have the file. If Drunkenslug isn't on there, then they don't.

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't know that happened. But that would explain why certain indexers have nzbs indexed that others don't, but it wouldn't explain why certain indexers have their already indexed nzbs fail to complete more often than other indexers, right?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If different indexers have different releases of content it makes perfect sense that they’d also have different completion rates depending on what was being looked for, I feel like you’re wildly overcomplicating this in your head.

If indexer A has 10 different releases of some Linux ISO and indexer B has 15 releases you probably have a better chance of getting one that hasn’t been dinged from indexer B because it’s got more candidates. There’s no arcane mystery behind “more options means more likely to have what you’re looking for”.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

If different indexers have different releases of content it makes perfect sense that they’d also have different completion rates depending on what was being looked for, I feel like you’re wildly overcomplicating this in your head.

If indexer A has 10 different releases of some Linux ISO and indexer B has 15 releases you probably have a better chance of getting one that hasn’t been dinged from indexer B because it’s got more candidates. There’s no arcane mystery behind “more options means more likely to have what you’re looking for”.

I thought the "failed nzb grab" stat that was posted before meant number of failed downloads from individual nzbs, not number of instances of "entirely failed to find a usable nzb for the ISO anywhere on the indexer." If it's the latter, then it was just a misunderstanding on my part.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Since the audience for Usenet may intersect with the audience for torrents:

For Ubuntu, is there a recommended simple torrent client that you recommend? I've been using qBitTorrent for years but am about to set up a new VM for my ISOs and wanted to check if I'm missing out on anything.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've been using deluge for years. No complaints.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

Since the audience for Usenet may intersect with the audience for torrents:

For Ubuntu, is there a recommended simple torrent client that you recommend? I've been using qBitTorrent for years but am about to set up a new VM for my ISOs and wanted to check if I'm missing out on anything.

I'm on the 'docker-all-the-things' I use https://hub.docker.com/r/binhex/arch-delugevpn/ which is deluge + VPN + socks client. Basically deluge is only running while the VPN is running, and you can attach other containers to the vpn:
docker run --network container:deluge ...
or use it as a socks client for apps that support that. (I have SwitchyOmega in Chrome that let's me just say 'this tab is now coming out the vpn exit)

So no, it's not simple but it's the best solution I know of.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I just have basic rear end Transmission running in a jail with OpenVPN and a firewall killswitch that only allows traffic over tun0. My usenet traffic far outstrips torrenting but something will come in that way every once in a while.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Hughlander posted:

I'm on the 'docker-all-the-things' I use https://hub.docker.com/r/binhex/arch-delugevpn/ which is deluge + VPN + socks client. Basically deluge is only running while the VPN is running, and you can attach other containers to the vpn:
docker run --network container:deluge ...
or use it as a socks client for apps that support that. (I have SwitchyOmega in Chrome that let's me just say 'this tab is now coming out the vpn exit)

So no, it's not simple but it's the best solution I know of.

Recommending this, though I use the Qbittorrent flavor from the same docker maintainer. Either way I think is good.
For both though I would look at the steps to use to Wireguard instead of OpenVPN. Dramatically increased my speeds.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

THF13 posted:

Recommending this, though I use the Qbittorrent flavor from the same docker maintainer. Either way I think is good.
For both though I would look at the steps to use to Wireguard instead of OpenVPN. Dramatically increased my speeds.

I'm running it through Private Internet Access, going to try using it now and see what happens. (I'm currently downloading 3TB of youtube videos and to avoid throttling I bring up other PIA instances)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Well I guess that answers my question of if running yt-dlp on playlists with hundreds of videos on it is ever likely to get me flagged ha. 3TB is a hell of a lot of videos mind, after a weekend downloading a ton just to find I wasn’t happy with my quality strings and need to do it again I don’t envy that batch.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Deluge was good because it had thin client I could run on my PC and use that to easily feed it torrents. Had problems with stability, though, so I've switched to rTorrent, which is more stable for me, but I can't find a way to connect to my NAS from the desktop.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Well I guess that answers my question of if running yt-dlp on playlists with hundreds of videos on it is ever likely to get me flagged ha. 3TB is a hell of a lot of videos mind, after a weekend downloading a ton just to find I wasn’t happy with my quality strings and need to do it again I don’t envy that batch.

Yah this is me redoing it about 2 years after I first did it where I had to write my own Series Scanner and some python scripts to clean it up, but now it's perfect.
A show is a channel
A season is a playlist named correctly
Everything has the right poster/avatar/thumbnail
Everything is populated with the descriptions
Each channel get's it's own collect and it's own smartplaylist of unwatched epsiodes.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

lordfrikk posted:

Deluge was good because it had thin client I could run on my PC and use that to easily feed it torrents. Had problems with stability, though, so I've switched to rTorrent, which is more stable for me, but I can't find a way to connect to my NAS from the desktop.

Transmission supports this with transmission-remote-gui (desktop application) or by exposing the web interface

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

more falafel please posted:

I get way fewer failures from Geek than from Slug and especially NZB.su.

I hear this kind of frequently but nzb.su is great for 4k remux Red Hat Ubuntu Linux ISO imo. I can't speak for its other stuff; show episodes do seem dodgy.

Geek is my favorite index and I've tried, and paid for, quite a few at this point. Geek is the one indexer that has the highest chance imo of having something that is broken everywhere else, I have no idea why. Speaking on like, HBO Linux poo poo etc. if I need TV shows, especially the AAA shows, I'm hitting Geek first 100% of the time.

I'm also a dirty anime enjoyer, which can be a bit more difficult on Usenet. nzb.su is actually really decent for anime. But to really have anime on lock, you need a few:

1) Anime Tosho, which does usenet but a lot of stuff is bittorrent only for some reason, so really need both to maximally use Tosho. Generally, Tosho is more likely to have a usenet version of what you want the smaller the file size is. Once the file size starts ballooning upwards, its mostly torrent only. Tosho is also free.
2) Crunchy Roll Downloader app if you don't want to use torrenting OR want the newest Linux dubs, which can be hit or miss elsewhere. Not everything is on Crunchy though either AND you need a paid sub.
3) nzb.su, not required but often just has poo poo you want easily with no fuss. I usually start here and hope for an easy pickup, then move to the others if I need to.

Taima fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 11, 2023

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

lordfrikk posted:

As in a way to connect to rTorrent on the NAS? Have you looked at ruTorrent? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I have one specific indexer that seems significantly more reliable than my others for old (>500 days) stuff when I'm backfilling something, even when the same release is available on multiple indexers from around the same timeframe. For normal "grab when posted" things that are < 24hrs old, I haven't noticed a difference among any of the ones I use.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

lordfrikk posted:

For rtorrent, can’t you just access the web UI?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Quixzlizx posted:

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't know that happened. But that would explain why certain indexers have nzbs indexed that others don't, but it wouldn't explain why certain indexers have their already indexed nzbs fail to complete more often than other indexers, right?

The same release may be posted/reposted on Usenet multiple times in different groups (look for something like “a.b.[stuff]” or “alt.bin.[stuff]”). Analogous to having a file in multiple different folders on your hard drive.

A takedown against one copy won’t affect others in that instance.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

lordfrikk posted:

I use Qtorrent on my nas and I use an extension on Chrome to auto grab torrent files when they download and send them straight to it. Something like that probably exist for rTorrent too, I would think.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Since the OP is outdated, I was curious what the best provider / indexer was. Don't mind paying for a good indexer.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I use nzbgeek for indexer and newsgroups.ninja for provider. Have had much better experience with those two than the ones I used before (nzb.su and newshosting)

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Piss Stain Johnson posted:

Since the OP is outdated, I was curious what the best provider / indexer was. Don't mind paying for a good indexer.

frugal usenet for the provider although everyone will say theres is the best. frugal is great since you get multiple separate servers while paying for one sub. as for indexers it will really depend what you can get into at the moment without an invite. nzbgeek is open. nzb.su is to else you will have to wait for others to open up.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Resdfru posted:

I use nzbgeek for indexer and newsgroups.ninja for provider. Have had much better experience with those two than the ones I used before (nzb.su and newshosting)

newsgroup.ninja and newshosting are literally the same thing tho lol

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I didn't know that, so I guess the big difference was between indexers. I used to have to buy blocks on another provider when I had nzb su and I haven't done that since switching to geek

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I mostly use nzb.su and don’t have any problems finding current stuff so YMMV

Drunken slug finds all the older stuff that I don’t find otherwise

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Newshosting with usenet.farm as backup has been issue-free for me for long enough I had forgotten which providers I use and had to check the SABnzbd servers tab lol

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Newshosting with usenet.farm as backup has been issue-free for me for long enough I had forgotten which providers I use and had to check the SABnzbd servers tab lol

that is what frugal usenet is. main servers are newshosting and bonus server is usenetfarm. for reference this shows who is what. https://whatsmyuse.net/

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i use eureka as i’m in europe, geeknzb for indexing

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Geek, imo.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Looks like Black Friday deals are starting to come out for providers and indexers. Reddit has a good stickied thread on r/usenet .

I am waiting to see what Frugal puts out as that is my primary server, but I will jump on that Drunken Slug deal. Hopefully geek puts out something as well.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Burden posted:

Looks like Black Friday deals are starting to come out for providers and indexers. Reddit has a good stickied thread on r/usenet .

I am waiting to see what Frugal puts out as that is my primary server, but I will jump on that Drunken Slug deal. Hopefully geek puts out something as well.

If I didn't have lifetime already, I'd jump all over this.

NZBGeek

6 Month Subscription - $5.00 USD (Save $1.00 USD)
1 Year Subscription - $9.00 USD (Save $3.00 USD)
5 Year Subscription - $30.00 USD (Save $10.00 USD)
Lifetime Subscription - $60.00 USD (Save $20.00 USD)
https://nzbgeek.info/

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I always go in and check all my subscriptions before Black Friday since this is the best time to buy. Every year Iog into Geek and am pleased when I see lifetime. I wish Slug would offer the same.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I always go in and check all my subscriptions before Black Friday since this is the best time to buy. Every year Iog into Geek and am pleased when I see lifetime. I wish Slug would offer the same.

Big same, I just re-upped on Slug so I'm good through mid 2026 there at least.

Anyone know of good block sales currently that would complement Frugal?

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Drunkenslug is open for signups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

usually I tend to avoid picking lifetime deals even if its chump change bc Im not sure the sites will even exist after a year or so