Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Woodsy Owl posted:

A coworker has a 1 y/o that caught COVID shortly after birth. He says she is constantly sick. In contrast, my daughter has never so much as had a sniffle (HEPA/PAPR stroller crew stay nguyening)

sounds like that one year old really hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Potato Salad posted:

It's going to be Death Panels 2, a hallucinatory yet permanently embedded lie in the brains of American voters from here.

I should have known how covid was gonna go, having already known about the death panels propaganda.

Like, what do people think insurance companies do everyday? Instead we did a total projection where we say other people are doing the thing we're doing. At least with a death panel, there's a reason, not just "We're denying a statin just because and it's on you to proof to our satisfaction otherwise" without even the complication of dealing with someone who is terminal, it's just the business model.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

this article kicks rear end and puts into words what I often have trouble expressing about the long term consequences of our leaders saying 'gently caress it' in regards to covid

mahler_biryani
Jan 28, 2023
Speaking of molecular tests, looks like another one is coming out. https://3eohealth.com/preorder Similar pricing to Aptitude Metrix (which incidentally just dropped to $299 for 12 tests plus the reader bundle).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

skooma512 posted:

I should have known how covid was gonna go, having already known about the death panels propaganda.

Like, what do people think insurance companies do everyday? Instead we did a total projection where we say other people are doing the thing we're doing. At least with a death panel, there's a reason, not just "We're denying a statin just because and it's on you to proof to our satisfaction otherwise" without even the complication of dealing with someone who is terminal, it's just the business model.

I completely wasn't thinking about that direction regarding covid either, despite how obvious it should have been looking back

it just seemed at the time like this Big Medical Political Issue would be different. Even Donald Trump was up there telling people this was a serious thing, months and months after the rest of the right had peeled away into conspiracy land

(poo poo I'm not even sure that the weirdos have converted him about covid yet. sure he's weird about vaccines and autism, but that didn't stop him from stumping that covid is actually really important and getting vaccinated would materially help)

Trump aside, for a while it seemed that everybody was taking this pretty seriously, I wasn't thinking about how far into bad faith the antivaxxers would take this, or how successfully they would penetrate and convert one -- and then eventually both -- major parties in the United States

Potato Salad has issued a correction as of 00:37 on Nov 8, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

HoAssHo posted:

Lmao, you guys, the senior assisted living place I work at has 29 cases - out of 75 residents.

Nobody died in the last couple waves but a lot of the people who got it are doing noticeably worse than before.

I'm extremely bummed to see elderly people who I like and care about decline much more quickly than they would have without covid.

Edit: oh! And those are just the people who popped on a rapid - we haven't even started PCR testing yet!

Sorry, that sounds like a really bad time :smith:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

skooma512 posted:

I think many people genuinely don't have any idea how their insurance plans "work". Particularly if their full time employed and select from the employer plans.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington state's Monkeypox (Mpox) update.

pre:
Cumulative
Mpox	Total	Change
Cases	717	 +1
Hosp.	21	 
pre:
Recent
Week	Cases	Change
Oct-29	1	+1
Oct-22	1	
Oct-15	4	
Oct-08	2	
Oct-01	3	
WA State Mpox Dashboard

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

mahler_biryani posted:

Speaking of molecular tests, looks like another one is coming out. https://3eohealth.com/preorder Similar pricing to Aptitude Metrix (which incidentally just dropped to $299 for 12 tests plus the reader bundle).

I’ve been looking at this 3eo one and have questions like how long until the tests expire given that they don’t sell tests in smaller batches than 20 for $380. Might be consumer available I guess but not very consumer friendly.

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

Im not saying they had to be - im saying a lot of businesses just kept it up by choice. Like the place I last worked could have totally been back in office pretty by like May but we kept WFH full on until 2022. Just because it turned out hey people are happier and they get less sick!

I'm sorry you were on Lockdown for three years

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I've been wondering lately if an actual sterilizing vaccine came out, how many people would voluntarily take it. USA, maybe 30-40%? Elsewhere 50? Would we get articles saying that herd immunity is finally possible, but at what cost?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I've been wondering lately if an actual sterilizing vaccine came out, how many people would voluntarily take it. USA, maybe 30-40%? Elsewhere 50? Would we get articles saying that herd immunity is finally possible, but at what cost?

I'd take like 10 of those drat things and then maybe chance going out in public maskless 2 years after it was proven that you couldn't get infected.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah they'd probably have to figure out the ethics of challenge trials to convince me

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
An actual sterilizing vaccine would probably have similar takeup to the original shots. A big reason a lot of people got those was the promise of returning to life as usual, and once people realized that the vaccines were good, but not a cure-all, that's when the rates started going down. Heck even among this thread there's people who are constantly getting vaxxed but others who are weighing the efficacy against the severe side effects some people have.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'd take like 10 of those drat things and then maybe chance going out in public maskless 2 years after it was proven that you couldn't get infected.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rochallor posted:

An actual sterilizing vaccine would probably have similar takeup to the original shots. A big reason a lot of people got those was the promise of returning to life as usual, and once people realized that the vaccines were good, but not a cure-all, that's when the rates started going down.

the most egregious failure of public health in America in the history of public health in America.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Precambrian Video Games posted:

less than 10% imo. vaccine hesitancy is insane after the cdc bullshit. got a bunch of friends with kids under 5 and they were all in a race to get flu vaxxed first. when I suggested covid it was “why”, “no thanks”, “that’s still going on”, and “get over your fears”

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
as the president of the HOA I had plumbers come over to fix a burst water pipe in our complex, the clowns broke the gas line so then I had to call in the gas company. one of the plumbers had to use my toilet and the gas company had to come in to inspect my gas appliances before turning the gas back on. put on a mask, opened the windows and moved the corsi cubes to where they were. my only concern now is whether my dog could be a vector

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mdemone posted:

the most egregious failure of public health in America in the history of public health in America.

when I was getting my mph was when my radicalization really kicked off and by the time i finished I was almost to the point where I didn't want to bother finishing.

much like a lot of poo poo the philosophy and science is dope, the practice is just more scarcity mongering capitalist dogshit.

however the absolute rejection of the entire discipline and its practitioners nearly universally knuckling under during Covid STILL shocked me.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
One of my chefs looks like he's aged ten years in a month after his most recent infection. Then again, he drinks like a fish and has had heart issues since before Covid.

But that brings to mind one of the worst parts of all this. I'm going to see people I love die before their time because we didn't control this poo poo. And no one is coming to replace this man. I mean, no one could replace him, but also nobody's available to take over his job, seemingly. And I just know, somehow, that our rear end in a top hat boss will outlast everybody, Dick Cheney-like, and demand that us survivors just work harder. "Do two guys' jobs. Do three guys' jobs! Run the whole place yourself!"

Animal-Mother has issued a correction as of 02:41 on Nov 8, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Steve Yun posted:

as the president of the HOA I had plumbers come over to fix a burst water pipe in our complex, the clowns broke the gas line so then I had to call in the gas company. one of the plumbers had to use my toilet and the gas company had to come in to inspect my gas appliances before turning the gas back on. put on a mask, opened the windows and moved the corsi cubes to where they were. my only concern now is whether my dog could be a vector

did he replace your toilet with a joke toilet that has a tiny hole just for farts?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DickParasite posted:

I think many people genuinely don't have any idea how their insurance plans "work". Particularly if their full time employed and select from the employer plans.

Yup. They don't know how bad they truly have it because it's just a line item on their paystub. If they used it for anything more than the occasional Rx or urgent care visit, they'd see how awful even good plans are and what a joke it all is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:classiclol:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A monument to American public health

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Masking census on a bus from downtown Seattle going south during PM commuting hours

Estimated between one third and one half masking at any given point, maybe briefly dipping to one out of four or five. This is actually much higher than I observe in most settings, even on public transit—light rail ridership is nowhere near as masked up

Aranet highest reading was in the 1200s despite some windows being cracked open

Our maskers:

Me, the weirdo in my respirator, natch
1 black ear loop bifold with a ridiculous above nose tented gap because the nose wire wasn’t pushed into place
Two more black ear loop bifolds more properly worn
One surgical below nose most of the time
One cloth over surgical double masker, below nose when seating but then corrected. At one point during the ride he inexplicably adds another surgical on top. I want to enfold this man in my loving embrace and give him a supply of auras
One interesting bifold shape ear loop thing that might be fabric?
Two decent trifold kn95/4 types, one white one pink
One surgical worn below the chin
Two more proper surgicals
Another two proper surgicals
Two more black ear loop bifolds
Another black ear loop bifolder with two unmasked kids, I feel for them all trying to avoid this as a parent is so tough

I got to give a hi five to a kid in front of me who put his shoes on his hands “because he was a spider” said his mom so A+ ride, would commute again

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Metrix’s consumer price is lower than its industry one, I think. unless I misunderstand how their bulk pricing works

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In which people discover that respirators are well‐designed equipment,

quote:

Once during a winter bike tour during COVID... I put my N95 Mask on to enter a store and forgot to take it off when I left... 20 minutes later as I was riding I couldn't figure out why my face was so warm.... It doesn't touch the mouth at all and really keeps the front of your face warm.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 05:49 on Nov 8, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Platystemon posted:

A monument to American public health

I still haven't found a mask that eliminates glasses fogging so I understand it at least.

Anyway, congenital syphilis is back:

quote:

The rise in sexually transmitted infections in the United States has taken a particularly tragic turn: More than 3,700 cases of congenital syphilis were reported in 2022, roughly 11 times the number recorded a decade ago, according to data released on Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Syphilis during pregnancy can lead to miscarriage and stillbirth, and infants who survive may become blind or deaf, or have severe developmental delays. In 2022, the disease caused 231 stillbirths and 51 infant deaths.

Nearly 90 percent of the new cases could have been prevented with timely testing and treatment, according to the agency.

The rest is more america.txt.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Platystemon posted:

In which people discover that respirators are well‐designed equipment,

I wear mine in the winter while walking dogs for this reason alone. Works so much better than a balaclava, no gaps, no frost buildup, much less runny nose and fogging glasses.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Bored Ape (the NFT people) had a convention where they used UV lights thinking they were black lights. They were using 254nm uv

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1721602536225091716?s=46

https://twitter.com/resistorvlad/status/1721669868595167376?s=46

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:coronatoot:

https://turnto10.com/features/healt...november-7-2023 posted:

New COVID-19 variant raises concerns, long COVID becomes third leading neurologic disorder in the US
(..)
Neurologist Igor Koralnik is part of a team that studied more than 1800 long COVID patients.

“More than 90% of patients that we see in the clinic are people who have never been hospitalized with COVID-19 pneumonia," said Koralnik.

Their study found 83% of patients had abnormal CT chest scans, 51%, cognitive impairment, 45%, altered lung function, and 12% had an elevated heart rate.

Long COVID has become the third leading neurologic disorder in the US.

“Among previously hospitalized patients, the average age is 54. But among people who had never been hospitalized, with a mild case of COVID-19 initially, the average age is 44," said Koralnik.

According to research, long COVID hits women in their forties, who were never hospitalized earlier due to COVID.

“We think that long COVID is a new autoimmune disease which is caused by the virus.” said Koralnik.
(..)

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The problem is that with that level of uptake the vaccine wouldn’t be sterilizing anymore after two years to adapt around it. This is the new normal!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

TehSaurus posted:

The problem is that with that level of uptake the vaccine wouldn’t be sterilizing anymore after two years to adapt around it. This is the new normal!

It's called self-sustaining market demand and it is a growth opportunity :capitalism:

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Pingui posted:

It's called self-sustaining market demand and it is a growth opportunity :capitalism:

a growth opportunity for novel diseases!

at this point I think the best hope for a solution sustainable outcome is a widespread Ebola/Marburg pandemic to wipeout enough of the capital brained dipshits that reason can gain a foothold again. sure the Davos crowd will be insulated for a minute but with the death of 90% of their staff, security, and propaganda teams I think that problem will solve itself.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

just got pre-k enrollment fliers from my city

10 months until no precautions i take matter wooooohooooooo

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Insanite posted:

just got pre-k enrollment fliers from my city

10 months until no precautions i take matter wooooohooooooo

my kids fourth grade teacher is out all week with Covid and the school can't source a substitute so he gets shuffled around to other classrooms.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

woohoo USA USA America First America First Families First Families First

no sorry not like that, now send your fourth grader back into the 65 student classroom

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Hmm, maybe we shouldn't be sending our kids and teachers into gravely dangerous biohazard conditions? Maybe there's another way?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Oh, well. Too bad there was nothing we could have done better, or we'd have done it. Now get back into the office.

*shoves FOIAd CDC e-mails under the rug*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Hmm, maybe we shouldn't be sending our kids and teachers into gravely dangerous biohazard conditions? Maybe there's another way?

gotta live your life