Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Red posted:

Hal on 2024: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-A7dsnNZZU

Hal does seem a lot more... stable. Maybe I'd seen interviews where he came off as more mercurial.

It's very funny that when he's trying to name the good moves they made he brings up 3 RPs and a backup-ish catcher. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Heyman wrote an article about the Yankees signing Bellinger and I hate it. I'd rather they do a stop gap and sign Soto next year if they can't work out a trade for him.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Heyman wrote an article about the Yankees signing Bellinger and I hate it. I'd rather they do a stop gap and sign Soto next year if they can't work out a trade for him.

I'm curious, why would you hate that? Bellinger had shady peripherals but if the Yankees want to switch to focusing on batting average which he has provided before last season as well. Is it just the fact that Yankee FA signings collapse the second the contract is signed?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm imagining Cody Bellinger in pinstripes getting booed to hell and back by the entire Yankee stadium crowd for putting up a 104 OPS+.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cody doesn't deserve that, he owns.

I hope he returns to the Cubs, he was so much fun to watch. Hit for power but as soon as he got to 2 strikes he turned into Tony Gwynn.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I want no part of Bellinger

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Forrest on Fire posted:

I'm curious, why would you hate that? Bellinger had shady peripherals but if the Yankees want to switch to focusing on batting average which he has provided before last season as well. Is it just the fact that Yankee FA signings collapse the second the contract is signed?

Because he hasn't been a consistent performer and he seems like a guy who could melt in NY if he has a few bad weeks and starts getting booed. His last 3 years before his good year last were mid, dogshit and miserable. I just don't view him as a reliable and consistent player and you're going to pay him like a star.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

And yet he's the "best" available left handed bat on the FA market not named Ohtani

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Cody doesn't deserve that, he owns.
:yeah:

Also he’s the best non-Ohtani bat free agent this winter period, regardless of handedness.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 8, 2023

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'd honestly feel better about signing Bellinger over Ohtani. It'll be cheaper and Ohtani's injury makes me very hesitant about his pitching abilities.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'd honestly feel better about signing Bellinger over Ohtani. It'll be cheaper and Ohtani's injury makes me very hesitant about his pitching abilities.
Ok but even if Ohtani never pitches again, he has a higher ceiling as a hitter going forward than Bellinger

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Yeah….. but….yeah.

lmao the offseason has officially begun and the prophecy is already being fulfilled:

quote:

“Normally we can be very targeted in what we’re doing,” Mozeliak said during an interview with The Athletic. “But I think this (offseason) is a little bit of a broader stroke because it’s more of a volume play than just one (addition). We’re definitely going to be in a position that if we have to act early, we can, but if it’s something that plays out a little bit more over the offseason, we can be patient too.”

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Enjoy your Lance Lynn, hopefully they can persuade him to limit himself to just two trips through the buffet line

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

On the other hand Shohei is the coolest baseball player on the entire planet. It's all academic he's not coming to chicago.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ok but even if Ohtani never pitches again, he has a higher ceiling as a hitter going forward than Bellinger

He's also limited to playing DH, Bellinger is a GG calibre outfielder or at least near enough

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

On the other hand Shohei is the coolest baseball player on the entire planet. It's all academic he's not coming to chicago.

https://twitter.com/ChiSportUpdates/status/1722084990530273666?t=Hp78ww5OsBsL0-iqUmcitA&s=19

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

they're going to we tried harder than anyone has ever we tried before

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

MrMidnight posted:

And yet he's the "best" available left handed bat on the FA market not named Ohtani

So? that doesn't mean the Yankees have to sign him............. There is still the trade market as well.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Yankees have nothing to trade for whom you would want. We've been through this already with Soto in the past. Gleyber + prospects not gonna cut it.

Plus those comments from Cash should tell you everything already. To him they're already pretty loving good! Run the same team back. Bunt more. 100% injury free next season.

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 8, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

He's also limited to playing DH, Bellinger is a GG calibre outfielder or at least near enough
for whatever it’s worth he’s also an elite defender at 1B and should remain a plus there even after his CF defense declines

But also I have to assume that, should Ohtani become unable to pitch again, he would be at worst a plus defender in a corner OF spot.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

you can ignore that tweet after three words

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

MrMidnight posted:

Yankees have nothing to trade for whom you would want. We've been through this already with Soto in the past. Gleyber + prospects not gonna cut it.

Plus those comments from Cash should tell you everything already. To him they're already pretty loving good! Run the same team back. Bunt more. 100% injury free next season.

This is almost certainly bullshit combined with Astros bitchposting.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Yankees roster is dogshit garbage but also they have valuable major league talent to trade for Juan Soto right now :hmmyes:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Schrodinger's Yankees

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

zoux posted:

Schrodinger's mcmagic's Yankees

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No it's true. The Yankees don't have good enough young players or prospects to trade for anyone other teams would want.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

This is almost certainly bullshit combined with Astros bitchposting.

Yeah ok buddy lol :allears:

You have been and will always live in loving fantasy land

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

No it's true. The Yankees don't have good enough young players or prospects to trade for anyone other teams would want.

Astros bitch posting detected

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's just very shitbrained to say any MLB teams has zero players or prospects anyone wants. There is no way you or anyone could possibly know that. you've looked at every player the Yankees have in the minors at every level from Dominican rookie ball to AAA and you know they all suck and no one wants any of them?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Congratulations to Gleyber Torres on once again being elevated from garbage who needs to be dumped for anything you can get to centerpiece of a Juan Soto trade

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I really wish this thread was more than cubs wish posting alternating with an Astros circle jerk.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

What do the Astros have anything to do what the topic at hand?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I really wish this thread was more than cubs wish posting alternating with an Astros circle jerk.

Agreed: it's time to step up the Cubsposting and start jerking off the Arizona Diamondbacks for bringing small ball back

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

I agree there should be more Yankees wailing and gnashing of teeth in here.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It's just very shitbrained to say any MLB teams has zero players or prospects anyone wants. There is no way you or anyone could possibly know that. you've looked at every player the Yankees have in the minors at every level from Dominican rookie ball to AAA and you know they all suck and no one wants any of them?

It's very shitbrained to not understand how multiple parties bidding for the same commodity works.

Believe it or not--I know you don't believe it, but it's true--the other 29 teams don't actually exist just to do the Yankees a solid whenever they need one.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's very shitbrained to not understand how multiple parties bidding for the same commodity works.

Believe it or not--I know you don't believe it, but it's true--the other 29 teams don't actually exist just to do the Yankees a solid whenever they need one.

This is all in a figment of your imagination! You're making up a potential trade for a potential player with other potential teams engaged in a potential bidding war with the yankees that they would potentially lose because you know exactly how the negotiation is going to go and exactly what each other potential team is willing to offer. You're wasting everyone here's time.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I will say that if the Padres are dogshit at the July trade deadline and the Yanks are buyers, then Soto being an Yankee is a drat certainity.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MrMidnight posted:

I will say that if the Padres are dogshit at the July trade deadline and the Yanks are buyers, then Soto being an Yankee is a drat certainity.

Soto will not play a single inning as a Padre this season

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Padres are trying to win and have a good farm system already. They're going to want major league or major league ready players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Poque posted:

Soto will not play a single inning as a Padre this season

Agreed.