Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

If you mean plug-in hybrid - those can be charged in a normal wall outlet right? If you buy a PHEV does it come with the charger or does that have to be bought separately?

The idea of a car that can do short trips around town without gas but also have gas range is very appealing. I'm hesitant to go for a $40-50k car with interest rates what they are though :/

We have a plug-in and it came with a changer cord that had both 120 and 240v swappable ends, so I had a 240v outlet put in by the driveway. Takes around 4 hours to charge the battery to the full 20 mile range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Motronic posted:

No. 120v is a regular outlet. Not what your electric dryer runs off of.

This is a 120V electric dryer, a newer version of one I had. I was really surprised since I remember the big chonky outlets that needed special wiring setups and poo poo growing up.

Regardless, the 120V (level 1 chargers) are super slow. Like, you'll get maybe 5 miles for an hour of charge time. Which isn't a big deal if you just plug it in when you come home or are at work or whatever, which is why plug-ins are loving rad in the current environment. Charge overnight, electrified commute, gas for longer excursions or as a backup.

I think new Priuses have solar charger options on the roof which passively gives you like 5 miles on a sunny day, which is even more intriguing but the value proposition on that is probably a lot more specious and it probably has issues that aren't immediately apparent-- for example you're supposed to park it in direct sunlight which would heat up the car, so you'll need to use the AC to cool it down which probably taxes the supposed mileage gain from the roof.

Some places are phasing out solar tax credits for your home as well so the "dream" of having solar panels on your home which gives you the electricity needed to run your house and charge your car is likely less economically feasible than you'd think. Electricity is still categorically cheaper than gas wrt operating costs, though. Resell value in lots of areas (especially mine) really leans heavily in favor of PHEVs these days, it seems, so the economics are progressing away from gas-only, thankfully.

jokes fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 8, 2023

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I really want a PHEV three row SUV. I think the Wagoneer is supposed to get the not a hybrid engine/electric system from Ramcharger in 2025, but I dont need body on frame.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

jokes posted:

This is a 120V electric dryer, a newer version of one I had. I was really surprised since I remember the big chonky outlets that needed special wiring setups and poo poo growing up.

I'm very confused about how this dryer calls for 120v 25amp hookup. #10 wire with 25A designated outlet. Can't connect to the household plug or designated dryer plug. Most dryers are 30A 240v...What problem does it solve?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nitrox posted:

I'm very confused about how this dryer calls for 120v 25amp hookup. #10 wire with 25A designated outlet. Can't connect to the household plug or designated dryer plug. Most dryers are 30A 240v...What problem does it solve?

Pretending you weren't wrong on the internet.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Just hit Craigslist Bingo on this Prius:

• Guy flaked the first time we were supposed to meet up, later apologised said he wasn't getting the messages (sure.)
  • I should have bailed then but decide to give him another chance since I've already paid for the Carfax and description sounded good. Price was merely "OK", but it was poorly advertised.
  • Drive a half hour with FiL and wait in front of his house, guy is 45 minutes late and turns up in the car (had said it was fine to see a cold start).
  • Car is obviously a lot worse than what was visible in pics/description: carbon fibre duct tape in place of part of the rear window, failed gas struts on hatch, ripped up interior, CEL that "just came on this morning", etc. I had point blank asked "has it been smoked in", reeked of Febreeze over cigarettes even with me getting over a cold. Probably lots else but I didn't bother giving it a detailed look over.
  • Said he did the emissions yesterday on a break from work after I asked if he had the new slip over email (tbf a lot of people forget this is on the seller); "okay bro I didn't actually do it, but I'll knock $500 off the price right now".
  • First document in his folder of receipts/rego/insurance was a citation for driving with no license/insurance from the local constabulary.
  • Didn't actually find the title in his name, but did chuckle at the original owner's name John H. Christ.
  • Wasn't actually his house we were at.

I was generally dealing with the bottom of the market back in Australia (think US$1-2.5k) but the amount of chicanery and shameless time-wasting from sellers in the $4-5k private sale range here is on an entirely different level. None of these are like amazing, too-good-to-be-true bargains either, people just suck.

I can see why using dealers is so popular here.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 10, 2023

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The problem is that $4k is the new "bottom of the market" for many places here.

edit: also, I am cheap as gently caress and will not pay for a Carfax unless I'm already 99% sure I'm going to buy the vehicle, if I pay for one at all.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Proposed Budget: $20k-$30k
New or Used: New
Body Style: Sedan or small SUV/crossover/hatchback/whatever.
How will you be using the car?: Short daily commutes with young kids. Will probably take over family road trip duties from my 2013 Jetta.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) No, but lane assist, cruise control,e tc. is nice
What aspects are most important to you? Not too expensive to maintain.

We're car shopping this weekend and we need a second car. We've downgraded from wanting a van to just getting something new, cheap, and economical. The Subaru Crosstrek caught our eye and we have a family friend that really likes theirs. Are these pretty decent?

Other possibilities are the various cheaper Kia and Hyundai models, but the Crosstrek is currently winning based on appearances and friend recommendation.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Congratulations on your new Prius.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Lol
But on the other hand, there are actually Crosstreks on dealer lots nearby, while Toyota's website shows no Priuses within 50 miles.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The problem is that $4k is the new "bottom of the market" for many places here.

edit: also, I am cheap as gently caress and will not pay for a Carfax unless I'm already 99% sure I'm going to buy the vehicle, if I pay for one at all.

Oh, I am the same, this is actually the first one I bothered with (I went with AutoCheck which is half the cost and turned up a couple pages of boring records). I am really at the end of my rope here and was planning on buying this one in one fell swoop and just wanted the peace of mind; there were no red flags on the report but a whole field of them when I actually met the guy IRL. I really underestimated how willing he was to baldface lie about proveably obvious stuff.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

HisMajestyBOB posted:

How will you be using the car?: Short daily commutes with young kids. Will probably take over family road trip duties from my 2013 Jetta.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) No, but lane assist, cruise control,e tc. is nice

We're car shopping this weekend and we need a second car. We've downgraded from wanting a van to just getting something new, cheap, and economical. The Subaru Crosstrek caught our eye and we have a family friend that really likes theirs. Are these pretty decent?

Other possibilities are the various cheaper Kia and Hyundai models, but the Crosstrek is currently winning based on appearances and friend recommendation.

Do you need (real) AWD? If not, you should also check out a Mazda CX-5.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 10, 2023

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Crosstreks are just lifted Imprezas, so consider looking at those too.

But for real, congratulations on your new Prius. Subarus arent bottom tier for reliability, but they sure arent as reliable as everyone seems to think.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Lol
But on the other hand, there are actually Crosstreks on dealer lots nearby, while Toyota's website shows no Priuses within 50 miles.

You can go a lot further than 50 miles to get a car and/or congratulations on your lightly used Prius. Your stated goals revolve around minimizing total cost of ownership and it's really hard to do better than a Prius in that regard.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

HisMajestyBOB posted:

While the new models of Kia are going to have immobilizers, I wouldn't expect people binging on tiktok to to be able to do much more than look ar the name plate, smash a window, gently caress up the steering column and then find out they can't jump it. I'd also have concerns about the long term reliability as well.

As stated, look at the Mazda mx-5. The lower trims of rav4 and cr-v should be in the upper end of your price range as well.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Lol
Surely this is a point in the Prius' favor unless you need a car you can buy tomorrow after walking to the dealer.

Your requirements otherwise encourage cross shopping every wagon, compact crossover, and midsize crossover made by Toyota and Honda plus personal choice of Mazda, Subaru, or Kia.

What's your family road trip format? If anything's going to disqualify the Prius it's loading 4 people up with luggage for 8 hours in which case get that base model CX-50.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Oh, I am the same, this is actually the first one I bothered with (I went with AutoCheck which is half the cost and turned up a couple pages of boring records). I am really at the end of my rope here and was planning on buying this one in one fell swoop and just wanted the peace of mind; there were no red flags on the report but a whole field of them when I actually met the guy IRL. I really underestimated how willing he was to baldface lie about proveably obvious stuff.

FWIW I have used AutoCheck on past cars that looked clean but the same car on CarFax turned up an accident (the car definitely had a rear ender)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Congratulations on your new Prius.

Imagine if Mazda had designed a PHEV Miata 15 years ago. We'd be so far into meme territory it'd warp gravity

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

GD_American posted:

Imagine if Mazda had designed a PHEV Miata 15 years ago. We'd be so far into meme territory it'd warp gravity

Oh yeah, and also a four-seater and also a hatchback. Best Miata ever!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Elon Musk combined the Prius, Miata, and a used BMW 7 series to create our lord in Christ the Cybertruck.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The driving excitement of a prius, the cargo capability of a miata, and the cost of a new 7 series.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

in a well actually posted:

The driving excitement of a prius, the cargo capability of a miata, and the cost of a new 7 series.

But the reliability of a 6 year old one!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Twerk from Home posted:

But the reliability of a 6 year old one!

And the depreciation curve of an 8 year old one

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

GD_American posted:

They showed this concept the other day

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Lol

This is a lovely reason to buy a mediocre car.

I strongly dislike the crosstrek, probably more than is warranted but its just not a great value when you can get a normal CUV for not much more money that will be better in all regards other than signaling your Outdoorsy Nature. (And if you really want that, Forester is right there). youre talking about road tripping with kids - you arent gonna fit gently caress all in to the crosstrek with two kids and two adults.

I would encourage a look at the CR-V, RAV4, forester, and CX-5/CX-50.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I can't imagine limiting my search to 50 miles. Most of the time I am looking within 500 miles because that is about as far as I'm willing to drive a car home in one day (after flying one-way to pick it up)

Most dealers will ship the car to you for well under a thousand bucks. Seems like the going rate is usually around $600

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Bought out the SUV we were leasing. Defined residual payment + taxes/title/fees, easy stuff. Still took 1.5 hours at the dealership with 80% of that just waiting around.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

zedprime posted:

Elon Musk combined the Prius, Miata, and a used BMW 7 series to create our lord in Christ the Cybertruck.

Without irony though, almost without fail every "leak" of the Cybertruck model looks like hot garbage to most consumers, does it not? I can't believe the public's perception of the thing, and what's come out about it so far, is as low as it is. I am guessing once they are released I may see them once in a blue moon like I currently see Rivians out here, as mostly a wealthy person's niche vehicle.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The best/worst part is the tesla/elon fanboys (what causes someone to simp for a narcissist billionaire?) breathlessly talking about the number of preorders for the cybertruck. There isn't even a price yet, and the preorders are refundable. The demand begins and ends with musk fans who have bay area salaries and bad taste.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

There are sites you can get them for like $5 per car. I still only grab one if I'm really serious about buying the car. I probably bought 5 or 6 of them when I was searching earlier in the year.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

fknlo posted:

There are sites you can get them for like $5 per car. I still only grab one if I'm really serious about buying the car. I probably bought 5 or 6 of them when I was searching earlier in the year.

Are those Carfax resellers, or alternatives? There's a whole gamut of alternatives out there, Autocheck is supposed to be pretty good (and half the cost) but may not catch everything a Carfax does.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 11, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrox posted:

Oh yeah, and also a four-seater and also a hatchback. Best Miata ever!

So a hybrid RX-8?

Or basically this this, not sure if it's a 4-seater though. Anyway that would be 2 seats too many.

knox_harrington posted:

They showed this concept the other day

Anyway I think the next Miata is going to be hybridized in some way.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
How inadvisable/ how easy would it be to verify the starter is truly the only thing wrong here?
https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/d/stony-brook-1997-bmw-z3/7680981985.html

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DildenAnders posted:

How inadvisable/ how easy would it be to verify the starter is truly the only thing wrong here?

If it was only the starter they would have replaced it before selling. It's almost definite that the starter is in fact bad (otherwise it's been intentionally sabotaged), but they have not replaced it because it has other problems that would be obvious with it running/on a test drive.

Also, if you are shopping for a cheap 20+ year old BMW and have to ask this question you can not afford the bills to pay someone else to keep a cheap 20+ year old BMW running or if you can you can afford a newer and better car that will serve the same purpose without being an unreliable piece of poo poo. Take your pick on that one.

Cars like this are best for people who do their own work, have the space tools and knowledge already, another reliable car to get to the parts store/to work in and enjoy working on old german pieces of poo poo (this is a description of me).

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 11, 2023

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

DildenAnders posted:

You could show up with a multimeter and check the starter wires, but as advised upthread, do not willingly buy into a BMW with electrical gremlins

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Are those Carfax resellers, or alternatives? There's a whole gamut of alternatives out there, Autocheck is supposed to be pretty good (and half the cost) but may not catch everything a Carfax does.

I used Autocheck when buying a Ranger a decade ago and it sucked. I had an unlimited plan because they still did that at the time.

Autocheck ran before I bought the vehicle: totally clean, despite the fact that the seller disclosed (and I could see) some obvious but non structural front impact damage that had been partly repaired.
Autocheck after I bought it: oh yes there was in fact a wreck five years ago

Also neither report showed the one thing that nearly hosed me on the deal, which is a reminder that you should ideally only hand over payment at the DMV: the seller had a lien against him that stopped him from transferring the title. It wasn't against the Ranger so no title search would show it.

Thankfully the seller got that cleared quickly, but there was still a very uncomfortable few days where I had a truck, no money, and no title.

That whole experience soured me a good bit on how overvalued Carfax / Autocheck really are. They aren't entirely useless but you can probably get most of the same benefit by going through your DMV's website with the VIN and validating that the title can be transferred.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

IOwnCalculus posted:

I used Autocheck when buying a Ranger a decade ago and it sucked. I had an unlimited plan because they still did that at the time.

Autocheck ran before I bought the vehicle: totally clean, despite the fact that the seller disclosed (and I could see) some obvious but non structural front impact damage that had been partly repaired.
Autocheck after I bought it: oh yes there was in fact a wreck five years ago

Also neither report showed the one thing that nearly hosed me on the deal, which is a reminder that you should ideally only hand over payment at the DMV: the seller had a lien against him that stopped him from transferring the title. It wasn't against the Ranger so no title search would show it.

Thankfully the seller got that cleared quickly, but there was still a very uncomfortable few days where I had a truck, no money, and no title.

That whole experience soured me a good bit on how overvalued Carfax / Autocheck really are. They aren't entirely useless but you can probably get most of the same benefit by going through your DMV's website with the VIN and validating that the title can be transferred.

Oh yikes, that is weird and crappy. I had no idea a lein on something else could stop someone from transferring a title. Is that state-specific or a general thing?

I have never really been that big on them, as plenty of stuff doesn't get reported at all, and the main thing for me is knowing if the title is clean/it's not stolen, which the free government VIN check will turn up for you anyways. Had just been having trouble coordinating a meetup time with the guy and wanted to get the sale over with ASAP (was going to be kinda tight to get to DMV before they closed for the long weekend) and thought it'd give me extra peace of mind. Car sounded fine from the description so thought worth the $25, but yeah, guy was just making stuff up whole cloth that was very obviously untrue.

I was supposed to be going to look at a beater Lexus near me this morning (needed some minor work, but within my wheelhouse and good price), but seller looks to have ghosted me.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/aurora-2006-honda-element-awd-manual/7686382429.html

Sort of interested in this 4WD/AWD Element, but the miles are a bit on the high side for the price. Don't really want a manual here (all I've owned the last 10 years, but was living in rural areas with light traffic) but a new clutch is nice at least.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Oh yikes, that is weird and crappy. I had no idea a lein on something else could stop someone from transferring a title. Is that state-specific or a general thing?

That is absolutely state specific. It simply is not a thing at all in my state. If you, a seller, have a clean (no liens) title and sign it in front of a notary it will be transferred to the seller listed/signed/notarized when sent in to the state DMV.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Honda Element is an excellent car, but that AWD system is next to useless in real world conditions. Also beware of rust. They do not age well in roadsalt areas of the country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

That is absolutely state specific. It simply is not a thing at all in my state. If you, a seller, have a clean (no liens) title and sign it in front of a notary it will be transferred to the seller listed/signed/notarized when sent in to the state DMV.

Is using a notary some state specific thing also? Ive never used or thought about using a notary for a title transfer