Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
No-one is in range. Claiming 1326 facing north.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Volmarias posted:

This reads as Space Texas though.

Texas has money, the TC does not, so North Korea.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Scintilla posted:

a lumbering leviathan of a machine that plodded its way through the snow like an overweight mall cop trudging towards the donut stand.

She's got the soul of a poet.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
Marauder
I'm thinking 1325 facing NE.

The only thing they have as slow as me is the Hunchback and this snow looks like it's gonna be fun Definitions of fun may vary

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Haha :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN0w5QgHdEY

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That little ramp segment of terrain in 2321 on the right and 1022 on the left are about the only spots your non jet equipped units can use to make it to the high ground on either side of the ravine, to avoid the heavy snow falls. If you can get up on the right side of the canyon, perhaps out of sight of the hunchback especially, it will have a very difficult time getting up out of the ravine to stop you, and it's the most beefy short range combatant the fusilliers have. I think from their side of the map the only spot it can use to hop up is 2208->2207->2307/8.

Given the large disparity between the maneuverability of the enemy lance, you should be able to isolate and pick apart anything in your way on the march northward by using the heinously difficult terrain.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I'd send the jumpers to the left and claim the high ground while the heavies make their way up the middle.

I don't know how important high ground is mechanically in BattleTech, but it always makes me feel better.

Defiance Industries posted:

They're basically North Korea, they are obsessed with the idea that they are the arch enemy of a major power, and the most likely thing to kill their citizens is their own government. They also made not signing any kind of treaty about battlefield conduct their entire personality.

Really? That bad? Everyone in BattleTech has regressed to feudalism, but didn't TC have high education standards and decent medical facilities?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
There's nothing inherently special about high ground, other than the same thing common to all kinds of terrain: the ability to deny los so you can pick and choose your engagements. There's no shooting bonus for aiming down in a canyon.

The bonus on this map is purely positioning, and the ability for the heavy slower units to spend time with bad movement mods climbing hills NOW instead of potentially later, while under fire.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'm thinking I have the Thunderbolt run for the ramp up the right side, though it'll be a bit finicky to get up there without traversing deep snow.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'm going to suggest an optional 'objective' of shooting the bridge out from under a Fusilier 'Mech's feet. Etienne might be starting to see sense, but I feel like he might still have a love of lording over his comrades from on high.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

painedforever posted:

Really? That bad? Everyone in BattleTech has regressed to feudalism, but didn't TC have high education standards and decent medical facilities?

The Taurians brag about their universal literacy not because it makes them exceptional, but specifically because the Davions don't have it (the other four Great Houses all accomplish that feat). There's also nothing noteworthy about their medical technology, it's what you'd expect for the Periphery. Access to modern care on a handful of developed worlds, otherwise you're rubbing dirt in your wound.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Certainly a lot of LRM's on our side this time, time to make it rain pain.

All the firepower this lance is carrying could probably slag the Hunchback in a single salvo if going for alpha strikes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

They also made not signing any kind of treaty about battlefield conduct their entire personality.

Also no one whatsoever has signed any treaty about battlefield conduct. The Ares Conventions were the Great Houses writing a strongly worded letter to themselves, not any kind of binding treaty with any enforcement mechanisms or clauses.

Another notable non-signatory to the Ares Conventions: the Star League. :v:

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
My concern about the right side is how little space there is and only one north border hex. The left side has a lot more options.

I certainly see the value in getting up top now before anything can hit us though so if we want to go topside that sounds good to me.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cythereal posted:

Also no one whatsoever has signed any treaty about battlefield conduct. The Ares Conventions were the Great Houses writing a strongly worded letter to themselves, not any kind of binding treaty with any enforcement mechanisms or clauses.

Another notable non-signatory to the Ares Conventions: the Star League. :v:

And yet nobody else feels the need to bring it up in every single conversation, just the Taurians.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Take both the Heavies and climb up the left side. There's more options, forest and LOS blocks than the narrows on the right where one or two units could just outright prevent forward movement by jumping into the 24XX/25XX lanes as you can't pass through enemy 'Mech hexes unless you're jumping over.

Keep the Heavies out of the open plains, you're outnumbered and out paced, open space lets them flank and keep up movement mods. They're also generally closer ranged, make then get up the hills if they want to fight you. The HBK will take forever to get up on the left relative to the rest.

The Dervish and Quickdraw can probably push forward to bait, but like the last match, need to be aware of their thinner skin. They're able to jump in and out with some thought put into planning, the extra heat capacity will help with it too.

Push the Heavies to the North edge and you can choose to stand and fight, or depart at leasure once you're close enough to the North edge.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Amechwarrior posted:

Take both the Heavies

This is very rude to the Quickdraw.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Got a few plans for future turn movement, going to try for constant +3 mods.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Amechwarrior posted:

Take both the Heavies and climb up the left side.

there's technically three heavies :v:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

biosterous posted:

Two heavies and an overweight maxed medium.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

QKD: probably going to jump to 0924, so i can easily go high or low depending on enemy movement

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

biosterous posted:

aniviron posted:

What's he going to do about it? Get kicked in the shins?

By the way - Scintilla, I think you left out what Exposed Actuators does on the quirks list. EDIT - Nevermind, not relevant to this encounter.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 8, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

aniviron posted:

....But not incorrect

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

I think I figured out how to get both 4/6/0 up in 4 movements while avoiding roadblocking.

If CirclMastr backs up 4 spaces this first turn and then just heads north for two turns they should be able to climb up at 0625 -> 0525 on the 4th. That way I can go to 1125 this turn and ultimately head for 1022.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

painedforever posted:

The Taurians brag about their universal literacy not because it makes them exceptional, but specifically because the Davions don't have it (the other four Great Houses all accomplish that feat). There's also nothing noteworthy about their medical technology, it's what you'd expect for the Periphery. Access to modern care on a handful of developed worlds, otherwise you're rubbing dirt in your wound.

This, and also "advanced" technology is a relative term here. Chemotherapy existing At All (only on New Avalon though) was apparently a giant coup for the Davions to crow over, since usually Space AT&T comes to give you a congratulatory hole in your head if it looks like you're doing something that might affect their complete technological dominance over the rest of the IS.

This was part of why The Clans were such a big deal, aside from being the Space Mongol Invasion. It wasn't just stuff half the size with twice the power, they had regular access to Lostech since Comstar didn't know they existed until they arrived.

... Actually, now that I think about it, did Comstar even bother looking at Wolf's Dragoons origins? Or did they just decide that the guys with access to functional warships and extremely effective weapons (iirc) that just appeared out of nowhere and DEFINITELY weren't the Minnesota Whatever-th just have just happened to stumble across a castle Brian?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ComStar did try to investigate the Dragoons, but the Dragoons were given completely infallible intelligence and counter-intelligence capabilities by the writers even though that makes no sense given their origin.

Similarly, didn't read Bred For War but if Stackpole said chemotherapy only existed on New Avalon, that's not only him not reading other people's stuff, that's him not reading his own stuff. Even back in the 3rd Succession War technology had only receded to like, the 2400s. He had Hanse talk about how technology had receded to around the invention of the BattleMech.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Amechwarrior posted:

By the way - Scintilla, I think you left out what Exposed Actuators does on the quirks list. EDIT - Nevermind, not relevant to this encounter.

Yeah, I'm trying to reduce clutter a bit by only listing the ones that are relevant to a particular mission. There are also some quirks that I have left out altogether since they haven't been implemented yet - for instance, the Marauder has both the Directional Torso Mount (AC/5) and Exposed Weapon Linkage (AC/5) quirks, but MegaMek treats them as placeholders and they don't actually do anything in-game.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

biosterous posted:

QKD: probably going to jump to 0924, so i can easily go high or low depending on enemy movement

orders sent, doing this jump

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Orders are in.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Farseli posted:

I think I figured out how to get both 4/6/0 up in 4 movements while avoiding roadblocking.

If CirclMastr backs up 4 spaces this first turn and then just heads north for two turns they should be able to climb up at 0625 -> 0525 on the 4th. That way I can go to 1125 this turn and ultimately head for 1022.

Is this true? I can't find changing elevation in the quick start movement rules and I assumed we couldn't go up more than one level at a time.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

CirclMastr posted:

Is this true? I can't find changing elevation in the quick start movement rules and I assumed we couldn't go up more than one level at a time.

You can, it just costs an extra +1 MP for each additional level. So if you're on level 0 and want to climb up to level 2, doing so will cost 3 MP.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

To clarify, 'Mechs can do up to 2 levels of elevation change.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
^^ Yeah, that's why I was pointing out the pretty limited methods of getting up on the canyon walls for the non jet equipped mechs. They can't scale more than 2 levels of elevation change at once.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Farseli posted:

Scintilla posted:

You can, it just costs an extra +1 MP for each additional level. So if you're on level 0 and want to climb up to level 2, doing so will cost 3 MP.

Alright, going ahead with this then. Orders submitted.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

Alright, going ahead with this then. Orders submitted.

Then it's decided. I'm off to 1125. Orders submitted.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Snow_Scar_[3901]: Turn 1

Mike hummed thoughtfully as he surveyed the ravine. If Ruby Lance kept its pace they would probably meet the Fusiliers at around the halfway point. On the one hand, he was optimistic – Ruby Lance had the guns, armour and experience to win a protracted firefight. On the other, the snowdrifts carpeting the bottom of the ravine worried him. Moving through them or even just going around them would slow their progress significantly, but the Fusiliers, whose mechs were lighter and more mobile, would not suffer nearly as badly. If they weren’t careful, Ruby Lance could wind up being outflanked and picked apart.

There was also another consideration. Ruby Lance were roleplaying as the Taurians, and that meant they had to think and act like the Taurians as well. Would a Concordat lance ever engage in a fair and open brawl if they could possibly help it? Of course not. They would play dirty, and in this case that meant using the terrain to its maximum advantage. As Mike surveyed the landscape he spied a series of slopes and ridges to the north that would allow Ruby Lance to surmount the western side of the ravine. Doing so would be difficult, but if they managed it they would be able to attack the Fusiliers from a superior position. The forests would provide excellent cover, and the Fusiliers would be forced to come to them, allowing them to dictate the flow of the battle.

“Let’s climb up the west side,” Mike said, turning his Marauder towards the sloping wall of the ravine. “The trees will give us some protection, and if the Fusiliers try to follow we can easily kick them back down again.”

“I’m gonna have to back up,” Anna warned. “There are only a few spots this beast can safely climb, and the best one is behind me.”

“Roger that, Mirage. I might have trouble too. Prime! Glaive! Cover us while we hoof it to the top. Your jets should take you up there no problem.”

As Mike approached the slope a shadow passed over his cockpit. Moments later Kai-xi’s Quickdraw dropped down in front of him, its thick body rocking forwards as its gangly legs absorbed the impact. The heavy mech’s jump jets continued to vent fire and smoke, whipping up a cloud of powdered snow that immediately blew downslope and plastered itself over the Marauder’s cockpit canopy. Mike’s pod darkened as his view was obscured by blobs of half-melted snow and rapidly re-freezing ice.

“God drat it Prime, watch where you’re landing!” Mike griped, flipping the switch that would activate his mech’s wipers.

Kai-xi laughed. “Just doing what you told me, boss.”

“Yeah, and that’s frankly shocking. Who are you and where did you bury the real Prime, 'cause I'm gonna go piss on his grave when we're done here!”

Weapons fire for Dervish DV-6M (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Marauder MAD-3R (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Quickdraw QKD-4Gr (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Thunderbolt TDR-5S (Player):
-Holds fire!

--

Weapons fire for Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

No melee attacks this turn!

Subtracting 2 heat from all units due to Arctic Conditions…

Dervish DV-6M (Player) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Marauder MAD-3R (Player) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Quickdraw QKD-4Gr (Player) gains 3 heat, sinks 3 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Thunderbolt TDR-5S (Player) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

--

Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) gains 3 heat, sinks 3 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Evasive Action: By forfeiting the right to fire during the shooting phase, the pilot gains the ability to move evasively, inflicting an additional +1 penalty against incoming weapons fire and physical attacks. The unit must use its Running MP, have undamaged hips, and will gain an extra +2 heat at the end of the round.

Relevant Design Quirks:
-Hyper-Extending Actuators: The mech can reverse its arms as if it lacked Hand and Lower Arm Actuators.
-Multi-Trac: The mech does not suffer the usual penalties when splitting fire between multiple targets.
-Narrow Profile: The mech takes less damage from incoming weapons fire if the margin of success is +1 or lower. Direct fire weapons deal half damage, while cluster attacks receive a -4 penalty when determining the number of hits.

--

Primary Objectives:
-Ruby Lance reaches the Northern Map Border (0/4)

Secondary Objectives:
-Destroy at least three Fusilier battlemechs (0/3) (100,000 C-Bill reward)
-Destroy all six Fusilier battlemechs (0/6) (200,000 C-Bill reward)

--

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 14th 9:00PM GMT.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Looks like an average of 2-3 more turns until first contact, maybe a bit sooner if our PPC mechs get upfront. Either way, it's going to be the positioning game for a bit. I think getting on the ridge to the left is the right play, but actually getting up there with our jump-deficient lance is... rough

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Better to do it now before they're under fire than get caught in the open plain or trying to ascend while outnumbered.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Jumping to 1221. Can't fire, long range and movement means best shot is 13+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

the height of trees doesn't matter for jump height calculations, just the height of the tile itself, right?