Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Did you add in fake grain again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
um of course ???

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I will never not. I have never added grain, and then turned it off and preferred the ungrained image. it's always worse.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Why don't you just buy a cheap old digicam instead of poorly trying to emulate low-fi looks? Genuine advice, because your editing is almost as bad as your posting.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
appreciate your view on it. idk if I enjoy the darkness of it, it wasn't that dark in real life at least

here's where I ended up after some time, taking advice to de-urinate it

Bottom Liner posted:

because your editing is almost as bad as your posting

:tipshat:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

“Without editing… blacks mega raised”

?? At this point you’re either trolling or you have no idea what any of the terms you use mean. Also, what is your logic with the piss yellow/green color cast?

it's trying to mimic lovely underexposed film scans

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bellows lugosi posted:

it's trying to mimic lovely underexposed film scans

spot on

when I browse say instagram, I see photos I like. I also see photos I don't. over a long enough time I start to pick up common threads between the ones I like, and if it looks like lovely film scans so be it. I will chase that piss sheen

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
You're turning potentially good photos into bad photos. Do less editing.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is the photo totally unedited

it's taken over her shoulder into the reflection of a window next to a huge fuckin brick wall with heaps of gross green behind us. it's overexposed and I struggled with focusing. but despite all of those things I really like the photo, as does she.

I am sure I suppose someone might prefer this with less editing, and since it's got tons of colour cast already, and I am sure others would go quite differently trying to fix it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

echinopsis posted:

this is the photo totally unedited

it's taken over her shoulder into the reflection of a window next to a huge fuckin brick wall with heaps of gross green behind us. it's overexposed and I struggled with focusing. but despite all of those things I really like the photo, as does she.

I am sure I suppose someone might prefer this with less editing, and since it's got tons of colour cast already, and I am sure others would go quite differently trying to fix it.

right click, delete would be my path to fixing it

Eh, I couldn't resist piling on, but in all seriousness I don't hate it. I do appreciate that you've developed your own style and are trying to do something different than your average portrait photo. I think you still have a lot of work to do, but you are pursuing art rather than simply doing commerce.

I would be curious to see some of the photos you like that you have been using as inspiration

blue squares fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 7, 2023

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

just shoot lovely film, problem solved, chase the vibes to the source

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

blue squares posted:

Eh, I couldn't resist piling on, but in all seriousness I don't hate it. I do appreciate that you've developed your own style and are trying to do something different than your average portrait photo. I think you still have a lot of work to do, but you are pursuing art rather than simply doing commerce.

this is actually where i disagree - i think the general criticisms of his editing style aren't really relevant - but it's not pursuing art, it's using photography as a tool to participate in some broader cultural ~ vibes ~ or whatever. the kids doing this kind of stuff don't give a poo poo about photography as art, it's entirely separate, it's photography as a personality, becoming known as someone with taste, who knows cool people and does cool things. it's fine to do, i have no real gripe with it, but it's a totally antithetical to what i want out of photography as an artist and a viewer

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

and that's a totally personal thing to me which is why i can't really bring myself to hate the pictures or edits that much

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bellows lugosi posted:

it's photography as a personality, becoming known as someone with taste, who knows cool people and does cool things.

you're spot on

echinopsis posted:

part of being a good portrait photographer is impressing people with the size of your lens and also the size of the front element. something I love about my 135mm is when it’s pointed at you, it’s a huge piece of glass

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bellows lugosi posted:

this is actually where i disagree - i think the general criticisms of his editing style aren't really relevant - but it's not pursuing art, it's using photography as a tool to participate in some broader cultural ~ vibes ~ or whatever. the kids doing this kind of stuff don't give a poo poo about photography as art, it's entirely separate, it's photography as a personality, becoming known as someone with taste, who knows cool people and does cool things. it's fine to do, i have no real gripe with it, but it's a totally antithetical to what i want out of photography as an artist and a viewer

interesting thoughts. don’t think I really disagree tbh, and you put into words things I never really considered. but you largely nailed it, good work lol

I have a lot of fun organising a shoot, working out outfits and the theme. I have a lot of fun on the shoots themselves, meeting new people, and then that precious momentary validation when the model says they like the photos lol

blue squares posted:

I don't hate it.

thank you 😁

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

you're spot on

:justpost:

e: but also lol if you can’t tell that’s hyperbole

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

echinopsis posted:

:justpost:

e: but also lol if you can’t tell that’s hyperbole

It's impossible to tell when you're shitposting and when you're doing it earnestly. That's on you. Plenty of people have engaged with you seriously (myself included) and we're met with the same energy as when you claim to be joking.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

It's impossible to tell when you're shitposting and when you're doing it earnestly. That's on you. Plenty of people have engaged with you seriously (myself included) and we're met with the same energy as when you claim to be joking.

It's a defense mechanism

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

I don’t necessarily subscribe to the notion that a post has to be earnest or shitposts. can’t it waver in and out? can’t they be both?

Megabound posted:

It's a defense mechanism

I am particularly fragile and do require fuckin national guard level defence mechanisms

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lotta people in this thread on the money today

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

echinopsis posted:

I am particularly fragile and do require fuckin national guard level defence mechanisms

So why do you insist on subjecting yourself to this?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

blue squares posted:

you've developed your own style and are trying to do something different than your average portrait photo.

I would be curious to see some of the photos you like that you have been using as inspiration

Having seen his inspiration, I would argue very much against this - he is not doing anything really different. He says it himself, and can be seen, that he tries to copy his inspirations.

We've all seen this style of editing/photo, it's very much a 2010s 500px style. It's been overdone and is not in vogue.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 8, 2023

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

It's fine that he does it, he likes it so who cares.

But it cannot be passed off as art, imo, it has stock footage energy. I personally dont get any inkling of anything interesting in the photos, it's just photos of a pretty woman.

He has the technical ability to operate a camera, and he has the potential to break through, I'm curious if it'll happen.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 8, 2023

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

All right I was trying to be nice. I felt bad that everyone was making GBS threads on them and that I had joined in

blue squares fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 8, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

blue squares posted:

So why do you insist on subjecting yourself to this?

for a moment I liked my photo and forgot that peeps around here don’t care for my “style”

but I still pick up tips. people give criticism that I can work with, even if it stings a bit lol

plus also hopeful for that odd occasion someone says something positive lol

bobmarleysghost posted:

He has the technical ability to operate a camera, and he has the potential to break through, I'm curious if it'll happen.

who even know what breaking through would mean or look like

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

echinopsis posted:

who even know what breaking through would mean or look like

I'd start with dropping your current inspirations. Use them as a jumping point to something better. You've outgrown them.

Look for inspo at good fashion photographers. That would elevate your portraits.

https://instagram.com/snyder.erica

https://instagram.com/mollymatalon

https://instagram.com/neilkrug

https://instagram.com/mark_peckmezian

https://instagram.com/danielpshea

etc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
good advice. that neil krug is pretty interesting

e: but let’s see. I like the stuff I do for a reason, not just because I don’t know anything else. I’ve liked photography in a similar vein to what I try to do for like three decades.

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 8, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

bobmarleysghost posted:

It's fine that he does it, he likes it so who cares.

But it cannot be passed off as art, imo, it has stock footage energy. I personally dont get any inkling of anything interesting in the photos, it's just photos of a pretty woman.

Why? It has intent, he is putting in effort to convey a feeling through them. Not liking his style isn't enough to just classify it as "not art".

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea you're right, it's not my place to dismiss it as not art.

I called it not art because it has strong stock image energy, and I don't consider stock images art.

But if he says what he does is art, then it is.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

echinopsis posted:

e: but let’s see. I like the stuff I do for a reason, not just because I don’t know anything else. I’ve liked photography in a similar vein to what I try to do for like three decades.

Fair enough, keep doing you.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Echi, your photos are good and your artistic style is your artistic style. It's what makes you unique. Chase that. Don't ever stop trying to find that style that you're looking for. Step in the mud and get dirty until you figure out what it is you're after. That's how we grow.

I'm fairly sure there's not a right answer to photography, but if there is, it isn't in trying to get approval from those who would consistently tell you you're not good. Elevate above that.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobmarleysghost posted:

Fair enough, keep doing you.

I do appreciate the advice tho, wider inspiration is always a good thing, I am not rigid in what I want to do, and as much as I do like largely the kind of stuff I have always liked, I am always looking to grow and change, I certainly don’t want to just do the same thing forever.

earlier this year I took a photo which I thought was “peak me”, as in it nailed the aesthetic I was going for, and it was a bit of a downer in a way because I thought, where do I go from here? I didn’t want to just do more of the same. since then I’ve taking some photos that proved to me I haven’t hit the end of the road, but regardless, wider inspiration and a more open mind is the path forward.

bobmarleysghost posted:

But if he says what he does is art, then it is.

funnily enough idk if I’ve ever thought what I do is art. it doesn’t feel like it at least, although wouldn’t know what it should feel like lol. maybe it’s just a self esteem thing

https://instagram.com/rodtronics

that’s my insta for 3d computer graphics (off topic of this thread of course), and again, even though there is artistry there, I’ve never felt like it was art.

maybe a couple pieces, maybe a couple of photos could be considered. but it’s always just felt like me doing something for fun and seeing what’ll come out the other end. if intent is a deciding factor then certainly some pieces might be, as in there was a clear vision from the outset, and then other times it’s just about having fun making something. idk lol I am sure the philosophy of what is and isn’t art is a simple topic just something I haven’t looked into yet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Viginti Septem posted:

Echi, your photos are good and your artistic style is your artistic style. It's what makes you unique. Chase that. Don't ever stop trying to find that style that you're looking for. Step in the mud and get dirty until you figure out what it is you're after. That's how we grow.

I'm fairly sure there's not a right answer to photography, but if there is, it isn't in trying to get approval from those who would consistently tell you you're not good. Elevate above that.

appreciate this post my friend

I do still think there is value in learning what others think, but you’re right, the goal isn’t trying to get approval from others, I don’t think I’ll ever get that in this thread lol (and should learn my lesson), but otoh, it’s the only place I post that actually offers feedback, so .. idk .. maybe I just need to approach it differently here. I’ve come with photos I was happy with and then got ripped to shreds a bit, maybe I need more of an attitude of, I like this but what could I do better next time. but once again appreciate your post

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

why the gently caress is the criticism in this thread so loving aggro? people talking about what art is or not wtf.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Slotducks posted:

why the gently caress is the criticism in this thread so loving aggro? people talking about what art is or not wtf.

Probably because the response to legit helpful criticism is so flippant and bratty. It invites more harsh words.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Probably because the response to legit helpful criticism is so flippant and bratty. It invites more harsh words.

maybe you need an avatar that looks less like a bratty child

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Bottom Liner posted:

I dunno, I've been watching/reading this thread for a while - the feedback feels much different than in other threads. Way more declarative and way more pointed and harsh.

The feedback you personally gave me in the concert thread was positive, constructive, and extremely helpful; the other posters in here are harsher and bleak. No wonder echinopsis doesn't like contrast.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

echinopsis posted:

maybe you need an avatar that looks less like a bratty child

You can spend the money to own me just as hard as the last goon did

Slotducks posted:

I dunno, I've been watching/reading this thread for a while - the feedback feels much different than in other threads. Way more declarative and way more pointed and harsh.

The feedback you personally gave me in the concert thread was positive, constructive, and extremely helpful; the other posters in here are harsher and bleak. No wonder echinopsis doesn't like contrast.

I think that’s just the culture of Dorkroom “main” threads. I’ve been on both sides of it, where I posted badly over edited photos and got ripped for it and defensive, but in the end they were mostly right and it helped me be better.

Anyone expecting SA to be universally chill and friendly is probably in the wrong place, but that’s also kinda the charm of it.

Concert thread is good and chill though, and I’m glad for it.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I have no choice but to get this thread back on track. Behold!