Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Colonel Whitey posted:

Not really a fan of self-aware "bad movies." The entire charm of bad movies is the earnestness of everyone involved thinking they're making a masterpiece

Which is why it's always so uncomfortable when Tommy Wiseau acted like he was in on the joke with The Room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Movies are about as accurate to History as History is to The Past

I would watch this movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

PBF is the best and I wish he never stopped making them. Last I heard he was writing screenplays

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

kiimo posted:

PBF is the best and I wish he never stopped making them. Last I heard he was writing screenplays

A new one occasionally gets posted.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 8, 2023

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFtdbEgnUOk

This is super not for me. That said, there was a teaser for this shown at the Taylor Swift Eras movie showing I went to and the crowd went absolutely loving wild for it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rageaholic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFtdbEgnUOk

This is super not for me. That said, there was a teaser for this shown at the Taylor Swift Eras movie showing I went to and the crowd went absolutely loving wild for it.

I'm confused by this. It's a straight-up remake, but also has Tina Fey and Tim Meadows back in the same roles? When the trailer started, I figured it would be a "reboot" of sorts, same school, but different characters. But nope, same characters, same plot, but updated?

I'm reading that it's a musical based off the Broadway show, so that's something. But the trailer doesn't really get that across (I see now there's a couple brief glimpses of dance scenes, but I didn't notice them until I already knew it was going to be a musical). I dunno, feels weird.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah ok sure whatever

https://x.com/ghostbusters/status/1722282833761517811?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Looks like more Jr. Ghostbusters in a not-comedy. Bummer.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Apparently William Atherton is back as "Walter Peck."

https://twitter.com/MI_Ghostbusters/status/1649382017509867521

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Remember when Ghostbusters was a comedy?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Brocktoon posted:

Remember when Ghostbusters was a comedy?

An adult comedy. Now it's for babies.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ghostbusters Afterlife was horrible trash and this looks like more of the same. Yikes.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

thrawn527 posted:

I'm confused by this. It's a straight-up remake, but also has Tina Fey and Tim Meadows back in the same roles? When the trailer started, I figured it would be a "reboot" of sorts, same school, but different characters. But nope, same characters, same plot, but updated?

I'm reading that it's a musical based off the Broadway show, so that's something. But the trailer doesn't really get that across (I see now there's a couple brief glimpses of dance scenes, but I didn't notice them until I already knew it was going to be a musical). I dunno, feels weird.

They’re hiding the fact that it’s a musical for some reason even though all through development and filming they made it very clear it was an adaptation of a musical

I think they got scared that calling it a musical was gonna scare some people off so they’re just gonna trick them instead. Plus the musical itself isn’t some beloved touchstone like the original movie so they don’t have quite as many diehard fans. They got the casting right though, I’ve thought from the moment I first saw her that Renee Rapp looks a whole lot like Busy Phillips and the lead reminds me a lot of Jenna Fischer

I don’t know if the movie will be any good but Rapp should have a long career, she’s incredibly charismatic and has a hell of a voice

https://youtu.be/WZEHXFIa7Bk?si=WUI-OHWGtUK_HLJX

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Why

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm kind of confused by the cues. You've got Cruel Summer so let's think of Karate Kid immediately and then full on hybrid orchestral epic trailer cue and not really even a good one pretty generic.

There are other issues but that jumped out first

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
New Ghostbusters looks kind of cool, sorry. I didn't hate Afterlife, but I would have liked it a lot more if it were set in NYC and had an original story that wasn't a post-mortem to the GB1 plot.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Bustin no longer makes me feel good

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

kiimo posted:

I'm kind of confused by the cues. You've got Cruel Summer so let's think of Karate Kid immediately

If I was going to be very generous .... verrrrrry generous ...... I might assume it was because it was vaguely reminiscent of some of Bernstein's score in the original Ghostbusters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-inX4MkApPA

It's a bit of a stretch though

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Serious missed opportunity with these reboots to not get Huey Lewis and the News to make a new Ghostbusters song. Not only would it be a fun twist on history, but they can also still crank out bangers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESViXXoy42w

But I guess doing so would also be in the spirit of fun, and the reboot is no fun. The only type of nostalgia they know is the cloying type.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

thrawn527 posted:

I haven't seen the original in forever, but from this trailer I thought it was something like all the Mean Girls from the original are now the moms of the new Mean Girls which is a super solid pitch for a legacy sequel/reboot with returning characters. As an adaptation of a Broadway show I lose interest, but I'd see it any day over that new Ghostbusters nunsense.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

caligulamprey posted:

I haven't seen the original in forever, but from this trailer I thought it was something like all the Mean Girls from the original are now the moms of the new Mean Girls which is a super solid pitch for a legacy sequel/reboot with returning characters.

Yeah, that's what I thought from the beginning of the trailer, too. But then the characters are named the same, there's the Burn Book, trying to ruin Regina but she turns it into a fashion statement, the Zombie Bride costume, Tim Meadows saying, "Oh hell no!" It's a remake, but from the same writer.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The if it ain't broke don't fix it philosophy?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Another hint that they’re not super confident in the Mean Girls musical is that it was originally slated to be a Christmas Day release and it’s now scheduled for January 12th

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wellllll

everything is moving around right now. If you're one of the lucky few who finished principle before the strike you have not just weekends but months to yourselves in some cases.

Fall Guy's only big competition in March was Dune and that just moved to next November.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kiimo posted:

I'm kind of confused by the cues. You've got Cruel Summer so let's think of Karate Kid immediately and then full on hybrid orchestral epic trailer cue and not really even a good one pretty generic.

There are other issues but that jumped out first

It’s similar to the afterbirth cue

https://youtu.be/ahZFCF--uRY?feature=shared

Which is “nostalgic joy epic to the max but also this is legit and serious, real clean and powerful”

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Also my laptop's lovely speakers probably aren't the best way to listen to a cue.

My boss when he does final mix of TV spots and trailers has them do the full in-theater mix and separately a "laptop mix" to make sure it sounds good on both. It's pretty smart in my opinion, considering that's the overwhelming way trailers are consumed these days.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

kiimo posted:

Also my laptop's lovely speakers probably aren't the best way to listen to a cue.

My boss when he does final mix of TV spots and trailers has them do the full in-theater mix and separately a "laptop mix" to make sure it sounds good on both. It's pretty smart in my opinion, considering that's the overwhelming way trailers are consumed these days.

Yeah - like when music producers/engineers don't only do mixes on quality reference monitors, but stock car speakers as well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

Wellllll

everything is moving around right now. If you're one of the lucky few who finished principle before the strike you have not just weekends but months to yourselves in some cases.

Fall Guy's only big competition in March was Dune and that just moved to next November.

Wait, are you saying Dune 2 just moved to next November? Or Fall Guy? If you mean Dune 2, that's not public knowledge yet. I can't find anything on it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

huh.

Well I heard it did but maybe they are holding off, you're right that isn't out. I'm also on bereavement leave so I haven't heard anything since last week when I was told that. Fall Guy was going to move too, but looks like it is staying still. There are wild rumors swirling about things moving around so maybe I should just not say anything until it's official especially since the rumors at work turn out to be bullshit more often than the general internet it seems.

edit: like how many times I've heard the SAG strike is ending in a day or two.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Huh, I definitely thought I heard a rumor about that Dune move before.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

huh.

Well I heard it did but maybe they are holding off, you're right that isn't out. I'm also on bereavement leave so I haven't heard anything since last week when I was told that. Fall Guy was going to move too, but looks like it is staying still. There are wild rumors swirling about things moving around so maybe I should just not say anything until it's official especially since the rumors at work turn out to be bullshit more often than the general internet it seems.

Condolences on whatever reason you're on bereavement leave.

I was just curious since they already moved from November to March if they've now moved back again to November...again. Googled after your post, and I can't find anything, and everyone is still saying it's March.

I just really want to see that drat movie already.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

kiimo posted:

huh.

I'm baffled that Fall Guy is a March release. It should be a May/early summer film.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Right I heard it was moving to November '24 not this November. In fact we've passed their original date which was Nov 3, 2023.

Mordiceius posted:

I'm baffled that Fall Guy is a March release. It should be a May/early summer film.

It feels like a summer movie but less competition is better for box office. There's a whole department who handles these release dates and it's practically a science and always in motion.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

kiimo posted:

It feels like a summer movie but less competition is better for box office. There's a whole department who handles these release dates and it's practically a science and always in motion.

Yeah, the "science" of it is fascinating. My office gets those release date emails from Universal. Always fascinating to see where things are placed and how they change. The strikes have only made those more fun and spicy.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Wizchine posted:

Yeah - like when music producers/engineers don't only do mixes on quality reference monitors, but stock car speakers as well.

Or web design and people looking at sites on six year old smartphones or laptops somehow set to resolutions that don't exist under normal settings.

A November '24 release for Dune would be crazy. When I told myself I'd hold off until I could watch both back to back, I didn't think it'd be this long. Same as when I rewatched Severance season 1 with someone, thinking we'd only have a few months before the second season was out.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Season 2 of Severance is like the Waffle Party. You want to believe it's real but are you sure

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Mean Girls remake trailer looks terrible. "Exact same story but... with some Tik Tok videos crammed in to stay relevant!"

But... hearing it's based on the musical and that Fey wrote this one too does gives me *some* faith. But lord that trailer is literally "same thing different actors" and just seemed utterly pointless.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

LifeLynx posted:

New Ghostbusters looks kind of cool, sorry. I didn't hate Afterlife, but I would have liked it a lot more if it were set in NYC and had an original story that wasn't a post-mortem to the GB1 plot.

That's what interests me about it. I'm kind of fascinated with what I can best describe as "post nostalgia boner" movies. When they do a reboot or late sequel that digs its claws a little too much in the original and then they have to figure out what to do for the follow-up. They can still mine nostalgia, but they still have to do something new, whether it works or not. Stuff like Muppets Most Wanted, Last Jedi, Halloween Kills, Creed 2 (er, maybe Creed 3), etc.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gavok posted:

That's what interests me about it. I'm kind of fascinated with what I can best describe as "post nostalgia boner" movies. When they do a reboot or late sequel that digs its claws a little too much in the original and then they have to figure out what to do for the follow-up. They can still mine nostalgia, but they still have to do something new, whether it works or not. Stuff like Muppets Most Wanted, Last Jedi, Halloween Kills, Creed 2 (er, maybe Creed 3), etc.

Yeah, I'm actually impressed it appears to be a new plot, at least. I was honestly expecting the trailer to be about Vigo the Carpathian before I watched it, and was pleasantly surprised to find that not to be the case...so far.

I liked Muppets Most Wanted more than I expected, because it was something new. I liked Creed 2 a lot, great movie, but it definitely leaned more on nostalgia. Still haven't seen Creed 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I'm actually impressed it appears to be a new plot, at least. I was honestly expecting the trailer to be about Vigo the Carpathian before I watched it, and was pleasantly surprised to find that not to be the case...so far.

I liked Muppets Most Wanted more than I expected, because it was something new. I liked Creed 2 a lot, great movie, but it definitely leaned more on nostalgia. Still haven't seen Creed 3.

Yeah, Creed 2 is sort of an outlier because it's very nostalgic, but for a different era of the Rocky movies than the first one.