Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I think that my good friend Shohei Ohtani should sign with the Rangers. If that happened, I would like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

No one knows until a few days before the World Series begins which two teams are going to be in it, so no one cares about how much money those two teams will make. The owners' interest is in simply maximizing the amount of money made off the enterprise. More money will be made overall if the games are in L.A. or Houston or Miami than if they're in Tampa or Baltimore or Minneapolis or whatever. Besides the obvious point that the league office can use World Series hosting as an incentive or bribe to suit their purposes.

Besides that, money comes mostly from the TV networks, and a neutral site World Series is desirable for them.

Those two teams definitely do.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I think that my good friend Shohei Ohtani should sign with the Rangers. If that happened, I would like it.

Suzuki signed with the Cubs after Darvish told him how great Chicago is so for your sake, hopefully Darvish liked Dallas too.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Besides that, money comes mostly from the TV networks, and a neutral site World Series is desirable for them.
not sure this is true, as TV networks care about total viewers which is driven far more by which teams are in it than by the physical location of the games

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 8, 2023

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I think it’s enough to have one elite pitcher who will never actually pitch on the roster.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

live with fruit posted:

Suzuki signed with the Cubs after Darvish told him how great Chicago is so for your sake, hopefully Darvish liked Dallas too.

https://twitter.com/CubsZone/status/1667002729237995526

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

No one knows until a few days before the World Series begins which two teams are going to be in it, so no one cares about how much money those two teams will make. The owners' interest is in simply maximizing the amount of money made off the enterprise. More money will be made overall if the games are in L.A. or Houston or Miami than if they're in Tampa or Baltimore or Minneapolis or whatever. Besides the obvious point that the league office can use World Series hosting as an incentive or bribe to suit their purposes.

The Superbowl is mostly neutral fans travelling for a single game in the dead of winter on a Sunday to party. People are not going to travel for a Wednesday night game in October so you're gonna have a hell of a time selling tickets to Milwaukee vs Toronto in Arlington Stadium.

The tv numbers will not change one bit with a neutral site series, but you better believe ticket sales will.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

But then he'd be living in DFW which is too much to ask of anyone.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
TV numbers only matter in regards to what teams are in it. People won't even watch some poo poo like D-Backs vs Royals on TV, you think they are gonna travel for it?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I would be very surprised if Ohtani leaves the west coast.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

...of Lake Michigan!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Gimme Shohei and Yamamoto and hell let's get 50 year old Ichiro too. NPB Cubs let's go

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

...of Lake Michigan!

Ohtani to the Brewers lmao

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

R.D. Mangles posted:

I would not at all be surprised if he acts like he's totally willing to move east in order to drive the price as high as possible before signing with the Dodgers, however

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

Would he accept the Western side of a large body of water?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Is the assumption that Ohtani signs with the Dodgers just because the Dodgers want him and maybe also because he already lives in southern California?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

live with fruit posted:

Is the assumption that Ohtani signs with the Dodgers just because the Dodgers want him and maybe also because he already lives in southern California?

Yes. They are a very good team, they are a very rich team, he already lives nearby. He will sign with the Dodgers. Only way he doesn't is if they refuse to let him pitch, IMO. Which given the current state of their rotation I'm preeeeetty sure won't be a problem.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
West coast also makes it easier for people in Japan to see him play which I think was part of his original reason for signing with a West Coast team.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

West coast also makes it easier for people in Japan to see him play which I think was part of his original reason for signing with a West Coast team.

1:20 PM game at Wrigley is 4:20 AM in Tokyo :420:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/fabianardaya/status/1722315954489831425

I despise Scott Boras

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
And yet I stand here hungry...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ohtani won a WBC title at Marlins Park. Therefore the only option for continued success is to come to Miami permanently.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There were seven “finalists” when he came over initially, with a strong preference for west coast teams due to the Japan travel issue. The assumption now is that he wants to win, and of those the Dodgers look like strong contenders.

However the Rangers were one of those seven last time so maybe they still should be seen as a front runner.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

There were seven “finalists” when he came over initially, with a strong preference for west coast teams due to the Japan travel issue. The assumption now is that he wants to win, and of those the Dodgers look like strong contenders.

However the Rangers were one of those seven last time so maybe they still should be seen as a front runner.

Do we know who the other finalists were?

I remember it being LA/Anaheim/San Fran/Toronto but not sure who else.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Do we know who the other finalists were?

I remember it being LA/Anaheim/San Fran/Toronto but not sure who else.

Cubs, Rangers, Mariners, and every CA team but Oakland

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

am i remembering correctly that the Reds didn't even make a pitch to him? like the cap on money/years he could be offered was super low, so every team could afford to sign him, and cincinnati just said "nah, we're good"

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
did they specify when Ohtani wants to win? because if it also includes the postseason then we know it's not the Dodgers

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

more falafel please posted:

am i remembering correctly that the Reds didn't even make a pitch to him? like the cap on money/years he could be offered was super low, so every team could afford to sign him, and cincinnati just said "nah, we're good"

They were part of the initial pitches but not a finalist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

did they specify when Ohtani wants to win? because if it also includes the postseason then we know it's not the Dodgers

HIs lifelong goal is to set the records for most wins in a regular season.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
COME TO SEATTLE SHOHEI

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

zoux posted:

HIs lifelong goal is to set the records for most wins in a regular season.

wow maybe one day they'll even have an award for that so the team and their fans are recognized for being special and the best at the part that doesn't result in a championship, even

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

He should instead go to Seattle, San Diego, San Francisco, Anaheim, or Chicago where they’ve all won a championship more recently than 3 years ago

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Wait no he should go to Texas because everyone knows repeat championships are very common in baseball

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Sounds like he is going to Houston then.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Shohei would never bang a can

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

From the perspective of Ohtani who wants to build a legacy, going to a team who’s identity is “win the division every year but come up short on October” might unironically be the most appealing. He gets the chance to be The Guy who breaks that pattern and puts them over the top.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bawfuls posted:

From the perspective of Ohtani who wants to build a legacy, going to a team who’s identity is “win the division every year but come up short on October” might unironically be the most appealing. He gets the chance to be The Guy who breaks that pattern and puts them over the top.

The Dodgers probably give him the best location and the most chances to win. Seattle has too much competition.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

bawfuls posted:

With access to the Astro's cheating department Ohtani could break the single season WAR record.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Wouldn't need to, just bang dingers.

But also I don't seriously expect him to go to Houston or for it to even be in consideration, it'd just be funny if he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Traxis posted:

With access to the Astro's cheating department Ohtani could break the single season WAR record.

Pud Galvin in shambles