Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

I hope I didn't write like this at 19 this fuckin sucks

That is the great thing for social media, if you've ever wondered what horrible things you said or posted even two or three years ago, I'm sure you can find it on your Twitter feed or anyone else can find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It drives me insane when people write like 6 paragraphs where 6 sentences will do. Why do they do that? I mean it's a great window into what's wrong with their brains because often they have a simple problem with a simple solution. Is it a defensive mechanism to help them ignore how obvious the answer is by making it seem more complex?

Like instead of:
"I'm routinely late coming home from work because I have a hard time saying no to my co-workers asking me for help at closing, or being invited to socialize after work. This is making my wife really upset because she barely gets to see me and she's left to do all household chore by herself"

They'll instead write some 8 paragraph sprawling story with the entire first paragraph explaining that due to some of their co-workers possibly also using reddit they aren't using real names, that they're posting on mobile, that english isn't their first language, that they created this account just to post this story. We'll hear about how they met their wife and other unrelated issues in their marriage, we'll learn about his previous 2 jobs, paragraphs of totally irrelevant details about their current workplace, a paragraph tangent about how one of their co-workers has trauma related to hair cutting and keeps their hair very long and it feels like maybe this is building up to have something to do with why the OP is always late coming home but it never connects. A weird tangent about the exact way his wife cleans the floor written as if it's actually a key part in ruling if he's an rear end in a top hat or not. And throughout it all they'll leave out tons of important details that the replies have to drag out of them. Like that they aren't being paid for the overtime they're putting in. Or that they have a newborn baby and his wife is desperate for his help after work.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

That is the great thing for social media, if you've ever wondered what horrible things you said or posted even two or three years ago, I'm sure you can find it on your Twitter feed or anyone else can find it.

According to Facebook I was really, really bored when I was 19

Nitnen
Jul 29, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

that english isn't their first language

sometimes i wonder if this detail is so popular because they're fishing for compliments on how good their english is to get a similar but more socially acceptable endorphin rush than that of the more taboo option of fishing for compliments on how good they are at writing fiction creatively embellishing their interpersonal conflicts

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I like girl, what do?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Nitnen posted:

sometimes i wonder if this detail is so popular because they're fishing for compliments on how good their english is to get a similar but more socially acceptable endorphin rush than that of the more taboo option of fishing for compliments on how good they are at writing fiction creatively embellishing their interpersonal conflicts

Probably more to avoid replies that say "could of? YTA" or other pedantry regarding minor misspellings/typos.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I like girl, what do?

Be a garrulous shitbox.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

tinytort posted:

Commenters have pointed out that the kid may have a Cow Milk Protein allergy, which could trigger for any animal milk besides human breast milk. The more important issue is that FIL apparently just cannot stop dumping feta on the salad and butter on the potatoes, despite being told repeatedly that his grandkid - who isn't yet weaned - is badly allergic to dairy.

Finally a use case for the breast milk ice cream guy.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

It drives me insane when people write like 6 paragraphs where 6 sentences will do. Why do they do that? I mean it's a great window into what's wrong with their brains because often they have a simple problem with a simple solution. Is it a defensive mechanism to help them ignore how obvious the answer is by making it seem more complex?

Like instead of:
"I'm routinely late coming home from work because I have a hard time saying no to my co-workers asking me for help at closing, or being invited to socialize after work. This is making my wife really upset because she barely gets to see me and she's left to do all household chore by herself"

They'll instead write some 8 paragraph sprawling story with the entire first paragraph explaining that due to some of their co-workers possibly also using reddit they aren't using real names, that they're posting on mobile, that english isn't their first language, that they created this account just to post this story. We'll hear about how they met their wife and other unrelated issues in their marriage, we'll learn about his previous 2 jobs, paragraphs of totally irrelevant details about their current workplace, a paragraph tangent about how one of their co-workers has trauma related to hair cutting and keeps their hair very long and it feels like maybe this is building up to have something to do with why the OP is always late coming home but it never connects. A weird tangent about the exact way his wife cleans the floor written as if it's actually a key part in ruling if he's an rear end in a top hat or not. And throughout it all they'll leave out tons of important details that the replies have to drag out of them. Like that they aren't being paid for the overtime they're putting in. Or that they have a newborn baby and his wife is desperate for his help after work.

This happens because these people are posting the same way they talk and tell a story or ask for advice face to face.

I have absolutely say there while my mother in law well spend a full 30 seconds arguing with her husband about if it was Tuesday or Wednesday when they were at the grocery store and if the eggs were 89 or 88 cents for a dozen.

The story is about her sister who's in the hospital and I'm suffering through this whole the meander their way to 'oh it's not serious she had a sinus infection'.

Repeat for the entire duration of the visit.

It has to be inherited, I have to stop my wife and tell her the time of day and color of a car are irrelevant to setting the scene that takes place somewhere else and involves neither of those things.

But then I'll get a flipped "oh my boss got arrested today" an zero other details.

The company is 4 people do you still have a job if the owner is in jail?

"Probably, it's not the first time. He once got arrested in Saudi Arabia."

!!!!!?????

No further details.

People have a strange value of what matters.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I got married at twenty-three because I was a goddamn loving idiot.
I got married at twenty-two and we're forty-two years married and counting.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Evil Willow posted:

Boyfriend (27M) embarrassed us (27F) by insisting to our friends (27F) that she opens her relationship while she recovers from surgery.

Bet you a dollar that he'd try to uhhhh 'find sex elsewhere' as soon as she got pregnant.

Peg Sliderskew posted:

It's "... the emotional rut in which I had previously been mired" you absolute ballsack!

“That, sir, is arrant nonsense, up with which I will not put.”

—Winston Churchill

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Baronjutter posted:

Like instead of:

this post could have been written as “i don’t like when posts are overly discursive”

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I like girl, what do?

i like girl and girl like me back, should i change my name and leave town forever

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mediaphage posted:

this post could have been written as “i don’t like when posts are overly discursive”

"post bad"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

haveblue posted:

"post bad"

drat it

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i like girl and girl like me back, should i change my name and leave town forever

My favourite genre of post is "I like girl and we live together, and at night as we cuddle in bed she kisses me on the forehead and says that I'm her everything and she would die for me. Does girl like me back?"

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You're loving old lol

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Theophany posted:

I am extremely caremad about calling your child Silyndyr and gleefully explaining that it is pronounced like the shape with nary a second to consider whether you are actually brain damaged.

Counterpoint: Thelonious Sphere Monk was a cool dude, and his parents did a good job.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Ravus Ursus posted:

This happens because these people are posting the same way they talk and tell a story or ask for advice face to face.

I have absolutely say there while my mother in law well spend a full 30 seconds arguing with her husband about if it was Tuesday or Wednesday when they were at the grocery store and if the eggs were 89 or 88 cents for a dozen.

The story is about her sister who's in the hospital and I'm suffering through this whole the meander their way to 'oh it's not serious she had a sinus infection'.

It has to be inherited, I have to stop my wife and tell her the time of day and color of a car are irrelevant to setting the scene that takes place somewhere else and involves neither of those things.

But then I'll get a flipped "oh my boss got arrested today" an zero other details.

!!!!!?????

No further details.

I’ve routed around this by saying “imagine you’re on a pay phone and have only 30 seconds to share the juiciest gossip you have. Give me the juice now.”

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

You should pretend to be a cat and crawl out of the room meowing.

DaChurl
Nov 9, 2011

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my DIL she wasn’t invited since she is an embarrassment at dinners since she is a picky eater

What really made me dislike her is that she complained about the food at a funeral, they had a sandwich spread but went on about it’s gross multiple times.

Oh poo poo, this is what we've been working on with the kid for months now.

"If you don't want the (peas/apples/noodles/etc) just set them to the side and eat the rest of your food. Yelling or throwing or theatrically spitting out the half chewed food is not ok."

She's 2

Glad we're nipping this in the bud now, that's just insufferably rude.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

selec posted:

I’ve routed around this by saying “imagine you’re on a pay phone and have only 30 seconds to share the juiciest gossip you have. Give me the juice now.”

What's a pay phone Grandpa? And why are you wearing an onion on your belt?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

wheatpuppy posted:

What's a pay phone Grandpa? And why are you wearing an onion on your belt?

“Okay, you know when you spend ten bucks to superchat the pedophile playing Minecraft you love and they have to read it out loud, but you can only fit in so many words into the superchat box?”

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ravus Ursus posted:

!!!!!?????

No further details.

Yeah it's a real issue with my kids. Whenever they hand something in that just meanders forever before getting to the point, I usually just give them a simple response: land the plane. Basically, cut down the unnecessary poo poo, get to the point and resubmit that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People need to front-load their writing much more often. Put the main most important point right at the start, then follow that up with the evidence or context or story. At my work we had a lady come in and give a whole writing class on how to be concise and straight to the point. There's a tendency a lot of people have to put the actual main point last and force the reader to go through a slow buildup before reaching it.

Like if your point is that you're planning on breaking up with your girlfriend, say that first right off the bat and THEN go into the details why. "My relationship sucks so I'm planning on breaking up with my girlfriend. Every since we met there's been communication issues. There's also the problem of her not wiping" and so on. Even if the "why" for your main point is long, always front-load because then the reader has the context for all the details. Don't start off with how you met, what your early relationship was like, your first big argument, the time you took a break and got back together, all the little things she does that annoy you, and then finally only at the end mention that because of all this you're planning on breaking up.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for posting a topless picture?

quote:

Where I'm from being topless is 100% cool for men and women and not sexualised (I'm a woman)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHC1230OpOg&t=4s

Theophany posted:

Is this like a bacterial sample?

Nah, just sounds less perverted than "hot Finn yogurt"

Ravus Ursus posted:

Feels like a whole lot of "this didn't affect me or my family/friends directly so it's not important"

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I loving love this, I had no idea how much I needed a Leo Tolstoy e/n post in my life until today.

I'm really tempted now...

Write a bot to find an AITA post with less than 500 votes, and have chat-gpt rewrite it expanding it's length by at least ten fold in the style of:
Tolstoy,
Proust,
Dickens,
Walt Whitman,
Meville
and see if it gets more or less upvotes than the original.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Baronjutter posted:

People need to front-load their writing much more often. Put the main most important point right at the start, then follow that up with the evidence or context or story. At my work we had a lady come in and give a whole writing class on how to be concise and straight to the point. There's a tendency a lot of people have to put the actual main point last and force the reader to go through a slow buildup before reaching it.

Like if your point is that you're planning on breaking up with your girlfriend, say that first right off the bat and THEN go into the details why. "My relationship sucks so I'm planning on breaking up with my girlfriend. Every since we met there's been communication issues. There's also the problem of her not wiping" and so on. Even if the "why" for your main point is long, always front-load because then the reader has the context for all the details. Don't start off with how you met, what your early relationship was like, your first big argument, the time you took a break and got back together, all the little things she does that annoy you, and then finally only at the end mention that because of all this you're planning on breaking up.

two hundred words to explain that people should get to the drat point

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

edogawa rando posted:

Yeah it's a real issue with my kids. Whenever they hand something in that just meanders forever before getting to the point, I usually just give them a simple response: land the plane. Basically, cut down the unnecessary poo poo, get to the point and resubmit that.

If it's being "handed in", that sounds like it's for school. School taught me to meander forever before getting to the point, because getting to the point was too few words for the required assignment size.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Pirate Radar posted:

gently caress I should watch that movie again

I love it a lot but the soundtrack is such a bizarre choice - wtf Andrew Powell? A rerelease with a more conventional soundtrack would be great but I don't think it's ever going to happen.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Arsenic Lupin posted:

good job :unsmith:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

You're loving old lol
(turns off monitor)
(turns it back on)
Oh my God, he's right!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Ravus Ursus posted:

My God my in-laws are that way too. My sister in law once took five godforsaken minutes to share a story that did. not. need. to be five minutes long. Here is that story minus all the superfluous nonsense:

One day, she saw a male cardinal bird. A couple days later, in a different neighborhood, she saw a female one.

Lord I'm not looking forward to the holidays lol

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

As an autistic person with a lot of autistic friends this might have just changed my whole life, I have never been able to put my finger on what annoys me about their style of storytelling and I have caught myself in the midst of doing exactly this and thinking "this is going terribly I am explaining myself awfully everyone hates me and I don't know why" more than once... I think this is it. And it's so simple and easily corrected... at least in theory. Something I can practice and communicate boundaries around at least. TY

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(turns off monitor)
(turns it back on)
Oh my God, he's right!

lmfao this is an excellent post and I appreciate it

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I had a coworker tell me about the airline losing his luggage once and how he had to try and buy underwear in a foreign country.

This story took about 20 min, and it wasn't until the end that he also mentioned offhand that the reason it was so difficult to buy underwear was that a hurricane had just come through, and the building he was staying in had collapsed. 20 min of clothes shopping story, 10 second of fighting for his life mentioned as an aside.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA For crying over my birthday dinner
Hello Reddit,

quote:

I am a seventeen year old girl who just turned seventeen a week ago. :D For some context for this story, my brother aged twenty-three is a soldier in the army and just so happened to be able to visit us for my birthday! It was just the three of us for a long time, but my brother, like our father decided to join the military.

My brother is my mom's favorite child, he was the star student, he was mama's boy, I was more like my dad and he liked me more than my brother, he would never admit to it but he did. So this was big for my mom to be able to see my brother again. sadly we lost our dad seven years ago.

So we got out to our favorite restaurant to eat, well my favorite because of my birthday. It's a Mexican restaurant called Senor Villa and I love their bottomless shrimp for 20.99. Well anyway, my brother is a drinker. He loves alcohol and the minute he gets to the restaurant he orders these expensive shots.

Before we're about to order, my mom nudges me aside and asks if I could say I wasn't hungry, she said how we could always go another month. This was because she didn't bring enough money and I didn't have enough money to pay for myself. Being the people pleaser I am, I am just like "Yeah that's great :D." About midway through my mom and brother eating I begin crying realizing I was missing my birthday dinner.

When we got home I just went to my room and cried and I haven't really brought it up again. A huge regret and immense sadness that I didn't get my bottomless shrimp.

When I had asked my mom about it the next day she began to tell me how much of an rear end in a top hat I made her look in front of my brother and how my father would be disappointed in me. After a yelling match my mom would then tell me we weren't ever going there again.

EDIT: For all you amazing people offering to purchase me my birthday dinner, That means the world to me that you are that kind. But I have to decline, it wouldn't feel right taking money from strangers, and I am just happy about the birthday wishes :D

AITA?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for striking out my own son?

in comments, the kid is 6.

I'm so glad my dad was too much of a fat drunk to try being athletic when I was a kid because this would have 500% been him.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA For crying over my birthday dinner
Hello Reddit,

family looks out for one another, and sometimes that means keeping the peace while the golden child drinks your birthday dinner

but seriously, lmao at this guy lining up multiple shots just going out to dinner with his parents. i wonder how long he'll be able to coast on his star student achievements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Hughlander posted:

I'm really tempted now...

Write a bot to find an AITA post with less than 500 votes, and have chat-gpt rewrite it expanding it's length by at least ten fold in the style of:
Tolstoy,
Proust,
Dickens,
Walt Whitman,
Meville
and see if it gets more or less upvotes than the original.

Here's Leo Tolstoy, who is annoyed that his siblings chew with their mouths open:

Leo Tolstoy posted:

Allow me to regale you with a tale of domestic torment, where my two elder siblings have emerged as the cacophonous protagonists in an enduring saga of auditory dissonance. Picture this: a respite before the flickering television screen, the tranquil hum of household life, disrupted by my brother's uncouth chewing and slurping, an auditory assault that drowns all other sounds. My sister, no less offensive in her gustatory display, indulges in a symphony of lip-smacking and raucous mastication. And, dear reader, I must clarify that this discord is not confined to the realm of crisp comestibles; rather, it is the very essence of their dining rituals.

I have implored them, pleaded for their restraint, and condemned their noisy indulgence as rude and repulsive. Yet, my appeals have proven as effective as whispers in a tempest. Perversely, their reprehensible behavior vanishes in public venues, making their transgressions all the more vexing when enacted within our familial abode.

The frustration has occasioned the erosion of my patience, leading to heated confrontations where I am declared the tormentor and bidden to suffer in silence. This torment, I must emphasize, has persisted for years, a ceaseless narrative of auditory torment.

To be candid, a tempest of anger rages within me each time I find myself in proximity to my brother during his meals.

To mitigate this distress, I have tried to escape the audible ordeal by leaving the room or postponing my repasts until their discordant feasts conclude. I have resorted to gentle exhortations, emphasizing the impropriety of their clamorous dining. Alas, these strategies have proven as futile as my previous attempts, leading to a rising tide of exasperation as my siblings seem impervious to the call for self-awareness.

So, I beseech you, compassionate souls of Reddit, to deliver your judgment. Am I unjustified in my vexation over my siblings' uproarious dining habits, or does my ire find its rightful place in the annals of family discord? Share your insights, for I am eager to discern the consensus of your sagacious counsel.

aita: i am declared the tormentor