Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Josh McDaniels lost to the NFL in even more embarrassing fashion than the usual Raider losses to the NFL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
Josh McDaniels took over the Denver Broncos, drove away their longtime starting quarterback*, did nothing to improve the team, and was fired before the end of his second season.
Josh McDaniels accepted a job with the Indianapolis Colts and reneged on the deal before starting because he did not like his quarterback options there.
Josh McDaniels took over the Las Vegas Raiders, drove away their longtime starting quarterback, did nothing to improve the team, and was fired before the end of his second season.

*I wish to point out that Josh McDaniels famously drafted Tim Tebow in the first round because in pre-draft interviews he felt "the juice" when talking to the Florida quarterback.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I'm hoping McDaniels gets hired back by Bellichek, then Bellichek is fired, then McDaniels is crowned the new head coach, and the Patriots never win more than two games a season for the foreseeable future.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

The337th posted:

Josh McDaniels lost to the NFL in even more embarrassing fashion than the usual Raider losses to the NFL

This is true in the sense that usually it's been 2-3 games to keep the Raiders out of the playoffs every year. After they made the playoffs in 2021 despite 3 losses from the NFL, the owners went wild in 2022 when the Raiders had one of the best rosters in the league. 2022 the NFL/refs changed 7 wins into losses. They did not screw around with making sure the Raiders wouldn't make the playoffs.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
just stop

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
You gotta at least give him credit for sticking to his gimmick no matter how stupid he sounds!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I wouldn't make the argument that McD/Ziegler didn't do anything to improve the team, they traded for DeVante Adams. Some of the things they did didn't work out, but they didn't just sit on their hands and do nothing

I wouldn't hold bailing on Indy against him either given Irsay is insane, Luck had just missed the entire season and then ended up retiring after 2018

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
BetOnline has new odds on "next coach fired." Some ... interesting names at the top.

code:
Matt Eberflus 9/4
Frank Reich 5/2
Ron Rivera 5/1
Bill Belichick 7/1
Mike Vrabel 10/1
Brandon Staley 12/1
Todd Bowles 12/1
Matt LaFleur 18/1
Dennis Allen 40/1
Kevin O'Connell 40/1
Kevin Stefanski 40/1

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Benne posted:

BetOnline has new odds on "next coach fired." Some ... interesting names at the top.

code:
Matt Eberflus 9/4
Frank Reich 5/2
Ron Rivera 5/1
Bill Belichick 7/1
Mike Vrabel 10/1
Brandon Staley 12/1
Todd Bowles 12/1
Matt LaFleur 18/1
Dennis Allen 40/1
Kevin O'Connell 40/1
Kevin Stefanski 40/1

Interesting to see Reich so high up there. The flus definitely should be top candidate to be fired, but I’m not familiar enough with how the various owners handle mid season firings to bet who actually will be fired mid season next.

Nov 6, 2002

Where the hell is Arthur Smith? Guy who refuses to use talented players.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Benne posted:

code:
Matt Eberflus 9/4
Frank Reich 5/2
Ron Rivera 5/1
Bill Belichick 7/1
Mike Vrabel 10/1
Brandon Staley 12/1
Todd Bowles 12/1
Matt LaFleur 18/1
Dennis Allen 40/1
Kevin O'Connell 40/1
Kevin Stefanski 40/1

Browns are 5-3????

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
And why the hell is vrabel so high?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Benne posted:

code:
Matt Eberflus 9/4
Frank Reich 5/2
Ron Rivera 5/1
Bill Belichick 7/1
Mike Vrabel 10/1
Brandon Staley 12/1
Todd Bowles 12/1
Matt LaFleur 18/1
Dennis Allen 40/1
Kevin O'Connell 40/1
Kevin Stefanski 40/1

Don't really get Vrabel at all. Team's stripping down for a rebuild, so what's Vrabel's sin, not understanding the assignment and having them play better than their personnel? Also, the Browns are playing a bit too well for Stefanski to get serious consideration, but I guess the whole team being run on wildcard logic makes it more possible. Also don't think Allen should be getting that much ire since the Saints are doing better than I expected.

Rest of these kinda justify themselves.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I can only assume it's whiny Titans fans and/or their division rivals betting up Vrabel (remember these aren't predictions)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The only reason Eberflus is still coaching is that they are shedding like one coach every two weeks for "inappropriate behavior" and just need bodies.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
A lot of titans fans were really concerned vrabel was going to go back to tannehill and drive everybody completely insane, myself included. But I don’t think there’s any chance of him getting fired now that they’re committed to starting Billy Jeans

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Nodoze posted:

I wouldn't make the argument that McD/Ziegler didn't do anything to improve the team, they traded for DeVante Adams. Some of the things they did didn't work out, but they didn't just sit on their hands and do nothing

"Some of the things they did didn't work out" might be the undersell of the century, lol

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Benne posted:

I can only assume it's whiny Titans fans and/or their division rivals betting up Vrabel (remember these aren't predictions)

I mean, from a superficial perspective, it makes sense what with the Titans trending downwards for the second straight year in a row, but it ignores a lot of context with the roster and such.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Probably Magic posted:

I mean, from a superficial perspective, it makes sense what with the Titans trending downwards for the second straight year in a row, but it ignores a lot of context with the roster and such.

Didn't the Titans get a new GM???

Maybe people are assuming new GM wants "his guy" as coach, so any reason to git rid of Vraebel???

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The last month has absolutely bought KOC another year or two of almost guaranteed safety

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Yeah, the thing with betting odds is that they're predicting how the general public will wager, not necessarily what will happen. I imagine there's a negative Browns bump the same way there's a positive Cowboys bump just because of the general reputation of the teams.

If I'm a low-information gambler and I see that the Browns coach is getting decent odds to be fired, I'm gonna take that bet because lol Browns.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The337th posted:

"Some of the things they did didn't work out" might be the undersell of the century, lol

Some of those things that didn’t work: the head coaching and GMing

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

LaFleur won't be fired (this year) unless the Packers completely collapse in an extremely ugly way and he openly loses the locker room. The offense lost every single veteran it has except Aaron Jones, it's the youngest offense in the league by like a full year of average age.

Nov 6, 2002

Love looks pretty goddamn awful though. What is the way forward there? He's not getting any better under LaFleur and they're not really in a position to get another QB easily.

If they go 6-11 are they just going to run everyone back?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

The only reason Eberflus is still coaching is that they are shedding like one coach every two weeks for "inappropriate behavior" and just need bodies.

Just elevate a coach from the practice squad or claim one off waivers.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Love looks pretty goddamn awful though. What is the way forward there? He's not getting any better under LaFleur and they're not really in a position to get another QB easily.

I can't be too hard on him since while he's been in the league for a few years he's more or less a rookie. His receivers aren't helping him, Aaron Jones is hurt, and his offensive line is hurt and also bad. I predicted 7-8 wins and I think they will improve and get there. Barring any trades they'll be drafting somewhere around the middle so I wouldn't be surprised if they extend Love and run everyone else back.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Almost certainly yeah. They'll have one first, two seconds, and two thirds to work with in the draft. Tons of dead money will soon be off the books. Love will get two chances to prove himself if they're not in a good position to draft a top QB. Lots of growing pains are to be expected with an offense this young.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Packers are not giving up on Love after 8 games come on, I know sports fans are insanely reactionary but this is silly. He’s got at least this year plus maybe the next to show he can grow or not

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

maybe they'll draft a wr in the first round for the first time in over 20 years

Nov 6, 2002

If he keeps playing the way he is... well I wouldn't waste another year on him. They've had this guy on the roster since 2020 for crying out loud. Even if he wasn't starting he should have picked up something. He's not a raw rookie.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He is a raw rookie. Playing the game is a lot different than practice and maybe a preseason game. Plus honestly he’s looked fine. Has had some accuracy issues on his long ball and the Packers strategy seems to be don’t even let him play in the first half at all but I’m perfectly fine with how he’s looking right now.

If he doesn’t improve then that will be a problem but cutting cord because he’s not Stroud with no plan or alternative is just stupid and pointless

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Jordan Love is not a rookie. This is year 4 in the exact same offense, sitting behind one of the best QBs to watch and learn from. Assessing him with the same lens as any rookie QB is an insane amount of cope.

Packers should finish the season with him, because they have no better options and it will probably help them tank. If he's the starter next season you got to fire your GM.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Nervous posted:

Just elevate a coach from the practice squad or claim one off waivers.

Pull an Irsay and hire Lance Briggs

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Laughing remembering after the first couple of weeks when a lot of people were like 'see? Love is good!'

Sure a completion% under 60% isn't good, but 3 TDs and no picks two weeks in a row. Against the...Bears and Falcons. And they actually managed to lose to the Falcons somehow anyway.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Probably Magic posted:

Also don't think Allen should be getting that much ire since the Saints are doing better than I expected.

Allen is very very bad and the Saints are only beating the absolute dregs. The man actively makes the team worse, hell there was a stretch late in the game with the Bears where they were only up 1 score and they kept punting on their own 40. It was maddening. As a Bucs fan I hope they keep him around bc that dude’s never doing better than like a 8-9 / 9-8 division win over a truly garbage NFC S division and even that’s his absolute ceiling

In general with the NFC South this year you gotta keep in mind we have the softest of soft schedules and still every team looks BAD

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Jordan Love is not a rookie. This is year 4 in the exact same offense, sitting behind one of the best QBs to watch and learn from. Assessing him with the same lens as any rookie QB is an insane amount of cope.

Packers should finish the season with him, because they have no better options and it will probably help them tank. If he's the starter next season you got to fire your GM.

Nah it's not cope. The offense isn't the same either. Rodgers and LaFleur deliberately married a lot of standard West Coast scheme with Shanahan stuff because that's what Rodgers was the most comfortable with and the West Coast concepts have largely been dropped. The team and the offense in particular went from the oldest in the league to the youngest in one offseason. The WRs have been running wrong routes, dropping a lot of catchable balls, and the entire OL has been banged up. He hasn't been particularly good, but neither has the offense as a whole, as one would expect when it's starting mostly first and second year players.

Love will be QB next season. Packers have a lot of draft capital to build out the rest of the roster that has been pretty gutted in favor of young players and a lot of dead money will be off the books.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 9, 2023

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I’m glad fans have no actual say because they are dumb as poo poo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m glad fans have no actual say because they are dumb as poo poo

There are at least 5-6 NFL teams that would be run better with fan polling than with their current front office. Probably more.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Another 10 that would be better off letting Madden 23 simulate it.

Here's the thing about NFL QB's they HATE the upstart no matter what they say in public. There's been a few exceptions that I can think of but these guys have massive egos and are not likely to train their replacement. The drafting of Love was a huge hit to Rodger's ego and I'd be real surprised if he did any extensive "teaching". We know that Rodgers didn't trust Love to lead the team (or, refused to sit simply because of ego) because when Rodgers got hurt last year he wouldn't sit out so Love could develop. We really don't know what we have with Love, I predicted 3500yds 22td/14int something like that which these days is league average. League average is pretty good when you could be starting Tommy DeVito.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you saying they're always the best? qbs?