Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

frogbs posted:

Well dang, these go on pre-order on 11/9. $69.99 for the linux version and $89.99 for the Android version: https://retrododo.com/anbernic-rg-arc-release-date-and-pricing/

My dream handheld would be shaped like this and be able to emulate Guardian Heroes on Saturn, but my hunch is that isn't possible. Has anyone with an RK3566 handheld had success emulating Guardian Heroes or am I asking too much?

I just tried it on my 353m and it seemed like it was working fine (ArkOS). It also plays Panzer Dragoon Saga pretty great. I doubt it's the case with every Saturn game, but there's at least some success on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Explosionface posted:

I just tried it on my 353m and it seemed like it was working fine (ArkOS). It also plays Panzer Dragoon Saga pretty great. I doubt it's the case with every Saturn game, but there's at least some success on it.

Nice, thank you for testing! It looks like that model has the same processor but 2gb of ram. The Linux only SG Arc only has 1gb, I wonder how much that comes into play with Saturn emulation? My hunch is that it's more processor bound than ram bound? I suppose I could always get the dual boot version with more ram just to be on the safe side.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

loopsheloop posted:

Anbernic comin

I love this little fucker :eyepop:
And here's the Retro Game Corps review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvoTk8Og5ag

And The Phawx's review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ-X32MJDiQ

frogbs posted:

Well dang, these go on pre-order on 11/9. $69.99 for the linux version and $89.99 for the Android version: https://retrododo.com/anbernic-rg-arc-release-date-and-pricing/

My dream handheld would be shaped like this and be able to emulate Guardian Heroes on Saturn, but my hunch is that isn't possible. Has anyone with an RK3566 handheld had success emulating Guardian Heroes or am I asking too much?
Guardian Heroes is playable but a bit slow on the RG353P, so it should be the same here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGh6zcwHkIo&t=654s

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 9, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
what are the pros and cons of linux versus android? what do most people prefer?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Rinkles posted:

Based on RGCs review, if Saturn is a big deal for you then Linux is the better option.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Rinkles posted:

If 3rd party firmware is available, Linux gets more updates (newer versions of emulators, occasionally new emulators supported).

My RG353P doesn't get any more Android updates, and I think one the past updates made the SD card stop working (it works in Linux, so it's probably a software problem). My Odin 1 is stuck on Android 10, which may eventually cause a problem for installing apps from Google (and I think Yuzu is 11+, though there's a modded version available).

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Matt Zerella posted:

Based on RGCs review, if Saturn is a big deal for you then Linux is the better option.

Interesting that in one of the reviews they said the ram increase on the dual boot option doesn't matter for Saturn emulation. If you buy the Dual boot version does anyone know how easy it is to boot into Linux? Can you do that out of the box or do you have to install the stock Linux OS yourself?

Assepoester posted:

Guardian Heroes is playable but a bit slow on the RG353P, so it should be the same here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGh6zcwHkIo&t=654s

Nice, that doesn't look too bad in terms of performance!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

frogbs posted:

Interesting that in one of the reviews they said the ram increase on the dual boot option doesn't matter for Saturn emulation. If you buy the Dual boot version does anyone know how easy it is to boot into Linux? Can you do that out of the box or do you have to install the stock Linux OS yourself?

Nice, that doesn't look too bad in terms of performance!

It's going to default to Linux and you have to force it to boot into Android yourself if you want it.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

frogbs posted:

If you buy the Dual boot version does anyone know how easy it is to boot into Linux? Can you do that out of the box or do you have to install the stock Linux OS yourself?

When people talk about Linux for these devices it’s nothing like installing Linux on a PC. It’s literally a case of “flash this image to an SD card, boot it up and everything’s set up for a gaming UI immediately”. It’s actually far more tailor-made and user friendly for a gaming device than the Android side, where you’d have to set up all the emulators yourself and then set up a front end to launch them.

It’s also entirely on the SD card (and these days with devices with 2 slots, separate from your ROM collection) so there’s nothing “installed” on the device at all.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I didn't feel like I needed one until watching this.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I went the full cycle watching that from not wanting one to wanting one to not wanting again. Hopefully they do an update in a year or so with a better chip to get the Saturn running properly.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I love the idea of a 6 button Sega only machine but yeah, I kinda want it to play the entire Saturn library without issue.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh crap it’s a 4” screen? I haven’t been looking at it close enough.

Euuugggghhhhh I kinda want it now. Saturn was never a deal breaker for me and I’ve been waiting for a good looking plastic 4 inch horizontal machine.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If it had a T618 or better I think I’d pull the trigger but I’m gonna hold off

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It is insanely wild to me that Anbernic is making a device themed after the Saturn controller that is not powerful enough to play Saturn games.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
It's still good for Genesis, probably 2D Saturn, and Arcade but yeah I'd wait for a gen 2 if you like the formfactor.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

It is insanely wild to me that Anbernic is making a device themed after the Saturn controller that is not powerful enough to play Saturn games.

It’s exactly what I’ve come to expect from this market. I love this hobby but every device, every single one, has one flaw or another. It almost feels deliberate at this point.

See also: Powkiddy V90 which looks exactly like the GBA but has the wrong aspect ratio and not enough power to play (all) GBA games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also the Anbernic 503 that was their first device to use the PSVita screen but wasn’t powerful enough to play PSP games.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Imagine how hype it would be if sega put out a handheld dedicated to being able to play their entire library

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Also it takes 6 AA batteries

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They're making an OLED Steam Deck https://store.steampowered.com/sale/steamdeck_2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Rolo posted:

Also it takes 6 AA batteries

They’ve certainly learned their lesson on having enough power to play for more than 30 min. It’ll be 6 D cells.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

will it be smaller

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Same size but a decent amount of differences

-.4” bigger oled screen
-90Hz
-More efficient CPU on smaller footprint
-Better, quieter fan
-Better speakers
-Faster RAM (like 3-6 FPS gain)
-Faster touch screen polling
-WiFi 6

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Basically if you already have one there’s no huge reason to upgrade unless you’re die hard OLED 4 life but if you don’t the base model storage is now 256gb and the mid tier one is even more distinct.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

-.4” bigger oled screen
-90Hz
-Better, quieter fan
-Better speakers
-WiFi 6

Also lighter

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

-.4” bigger oled screen
-90Hz
-Better, quieter fan
-Better speakers
-WiFi 6
Should mean better battery life

MarcusSA posted:

Also lighter
that's good!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Got a question for you guys. I got a cruise trip coming up. I assume they have a TV screen I can hook up with a hdmi cable.

If I want to split my tv time between 50% plex movies and 50% local party games, should I bring the NV shield or the Steam Deck or a PC stick (N5105)?

I think all 3 support Plex and connect to multiple controllers?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

bowmore posted:

Should mean better battery life

They’re saying much better, like 30-50%?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

stephenthinkpad posted:

Got a question for you guys. I got a cruise trip coming up. I assume they have a TV screen I can hook up with a hdmi cable.

If I want to split my tv time between 50% plex movies and 50% local party games, should I bring the NV shield or the Steam Deck or a PC stick (N5105)?

I think all 3 support Plex and connect to multiple controllers?

I'd lean towards the Steam Deck since it'll work even if you don't have a TV to use it with(cause sometimes Hotels will have their TV's setup to make it harder for you to hook anything up to them and that could be the case with the Cruise as well), might want to get a small portable screen to take along just in case

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rolo posted:

They’re saying much better, like 30-50%?

Digital Foundry’s video showed A Plague Tale from full battery showing 98m on the OG Deck and 127m on the OLED. Maybe not 30% but nearly half an hour more at full strength is a huge bump.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bowmore posted:

will it be smaller

it should be larger, the steam deck to me is the aircraft carrier of the handheld realm

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

I assume they have a TV screen I can hook up with a hdmi cable.

Is there some reason these are mutually exclusive? With the caveat that the only one of these I actually own is the Shield, I'd bring the PC stick for hookup if your assumption is correct, and the Deck to have something to use if it isn't. To my knowledge the only device that really handles HDMI connect/removal gracefully is the Switch, but even if the Deck does it well it's still a pain to connect and remove poo poo a bunch. Keep the PC stick in a bag and if there is a TV, you can just leave it plugged in there.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Steam Deck handles it fine so long as you're using a dock or hub

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
I'm fine with my OG Steam Duke because it means I have huger muscles due to its additional weight

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah my LA dude is wanting offload his high end steamdeck so he can justify buying the OLED version

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Crosspostin' from the Deck thread but I know we got a couple owners in here so:

Question for EU Eurogoons: The Deck's page says it's available in the EU; does it ship from within the EU, or just ships from the states? (for import tax purposes)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

zzMisc posted:

Is there some reason these are mutually exclusive? With the caveat that the only one of these I actually own is the Shield, I'd bring the PC stick for hookup if your assumption is correct, and the Deck to have something to use if it isn't. To my knowledge the only device that really handles HDMI connect/removal gracefully is the Switch, but even if the Deck does it well it's still a pain to connect and remove poo poo a bunch. Keep the PC stick in a bag and if there is a TV, you can just leave it plugged in there.

I might bring the pc stick and the deck, now that you mentioned it. The pc stick is so much smaller and doesn't need any dock accessory.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Crosspostin' from the Deck thread but I know we got a couple owners in here so:

Question for EU Eurogoons: The Deck's page says it's available in the EU; does it ship from within the EU, or just ships from the states? (for import tax purposes)

My Britdeck shipped from the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

njsykora posted:

My Britdeck shipped from the US.

Whereas mine (also UK) shipped from the Netherlands IIRC. Ordered Feb 2022.